Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

airsoftone wrote: »
    well done mr bond . pity i did,nt get all of the interview but i got the general gist of it . now you are famous . as for the boat chair would love one of those for my shetland 570 could see myself steering the shetland sitting in it . good video . .

fair play to you fergal .

Cheers, I was a bit shaken but not stirred :D

All of the interview is up now if you want to hear it just click on each pic or you can get the whole thing here I think it's a bit better than photobucket https://vimeo.com/75659973

th_medium_zps949ed8e0.jpg

th_Radiointerview-Medium1_zpse7ba2dda.jpg

th_radiointerviewpart2-Medium_zps7947fb6e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭airsoftone

will do cheers fergal . ment to ask you . what do i do now that the boat is out of the water . to have her ready for next season . like what do i have to do as concerning winterizing it . ?????? sorry for sounding so dummmmmmm .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Now what to do with some bits of stainless steel a turnbuckle and some deck hinges:D

20130930_133405_zps2230aec2.jpg

fergal . about winterizing my boat now thats it out of the water whats the procedure can you tell me ???? also i am looking to make a linkage between a 70hp johnson outboard and a 8hp johnson outboard any suggestions !

airsoftone wrote: »
    fergal . about winterizing my boat now thats it out of the water whats the procedure can you tell me ???? also i am looking to make a linkage between a 70hp johnson outboard and a 8hp johnson outboard any suggestions !

I put a post up on the forum about winterising that should help if not I'll try to answer any questions you might have about it there. If you start your own post about the linkage it will make it easier for someone to find when they are doing a search. I want to try and keep this post just about the boat build.
    Cheers :)

• Advertisement

sorry about that fergal i do understand . my apologies .;)

It might just work:) took me a while to polish the stainless and boy is it hard to bend.

20131002_162524_zps603d02ae.jpg

20131002_162552_zpsc77739df.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Forgive my ignorance, but what is it?

i was thinking the same thing .. ????? but did,nt want to sound dumb .:o

Forgive my ignorance, but what is it?

There will be one each side at the bottom of the transom to act as trim tabs to stop the nose bouncing up and down.
    They would normally be electric or hydraulic and look like this without the trolling motors :) but in the old days they were hand adjusted so thats the way I'm going :D

001_zps4bea6065.jpg

• Advertisement

mmmmmmmmm got yeah .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

ah interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

What a novel idea Fergal, never seen tabs like that before. they'll certainly finish off the boat and stop the porpoising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Are you going to cover the engine bay Fergal or does it need to be left open?

tin79 wrote: »
    Are you going to cover the engine bay Fergal or does it need to be left open?

It will be covered, I did start making one for it but then changed my mind on the design :) I'm still thinking about it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

fergal.b wrote: »
    It will be covered, I did start making one for it but then changed my mind on the design :) I'm still thinking about it :D

Chrome? :)

tin79 wrote: »
    Chrome? :)

Yep there will be chrome :D

I'm also playing around with the boat name so if any of you are graphic designers you can take the blank canvas and show me what you can come up with :D I kind of like the old english.

20130919_161547_zps1cca7bbe173421_zps762fd8fb.jpg

Fotor01003160748_zpsf3f3f006.jpg

Fotor0100315501_zps7a96b499.jpg

Fotor01003155432_zpsf75eff0c.jpg

zVPvTl1380816181_zps2c8086d1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Maybe its just me, but I would leave the back blank. I think the wood looks lovely. (Maybe a small pirate flag)

gutteruu wrote: »
    Maybe its just me, but I would leave the back blank. I think the wood looks lovely. (Maybe a small pirate flag)

That's an option I could just do a small name in the corner, might look a bit neater.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,818 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That's an option I could just do a small name in the corner, might look a bit neater.

+1 for this option. Or even just a small name on the bow?

That wood is really beautiful, shame to mar its perfection in any way!

• Advertisement

i agree totally .... i would not tarnish that finish in anyway what so ever . i would just put a flag pole & flag on it or maybe a flag pole each side of it too kind of level it up . too tarnish that finish would be a shame . if you really want to name it put the name on a flag . best bet . look a hell of a lot c:):)ler i think .

• Registered Users Posts: 44 boldspirit

The name made out of Mahogany like a plaque would look well I think....

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

Heres a few worked pics oldscool.jpg
    oldscool2.jpg
    oldscool3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I think this looks great Chris_craft_Barrel_back_2.jpeg

Not too bad.
    oldscool3.jpg

Yawlboy I will be doing a transom band and the rub rail "not cheep" so may have to wait till Xmas :) If I go for a name I was thinking Gold leaf or gold metal flake. Maybe I should have done a poll on this one.

i like the sylvia 1 but just with 1 flag on the back . thats just me

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

oldscool4.jpgPrefer it without the flags on it and I reckon gold leaf effect would be better - will see if can figure out how to do gold leaf LOL

Not too bad.
    oldscool3.jpg

Yawlboy I will be doing a transom band and the rub rail "not cheep" so may have to wait till Xmas :) If I go for a name I was thinking Gold leaf or gold metal flake. Maybe I should have done a poll on this one.

HI Fergal, just a personal thing but I really don't like Gold with Silver (Chrome) - perhaps Silver leaf?

YB

• Advertisement

man this is going to be a hard one . :confused:

Advertisement