Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 14 (FFXIV)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

I loved that place. Actually the reason I was about to give could be applied to so many place in XI!

But I do have great memories of easy exp by the door and then when it came to venturing in, the door further in required a key or something? And once you got on the other side it was all business, needed some good player with u and using the different magics to sneak around, I hope XIV has somewhere that gives that feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

swirlser wrote: »
    I loved that place. Actually the reason I was about to give could be applied to so many place in XI!

But I do have great memories of easy exp by the door and then when it came to venturing in, the door further in required a key or something? And once you got on the other side it was all business, needed some good player with u and using the different magics to sneak around, I hope XIV has somewhere that gives that feeling.

Ahh yes the good old days. Using sneak and invis to get past a load of mobs 5 levels higher than you. Then both of them running out before you are clear, but they are skeletons and aggro to magic if you recast. OH MERCY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Do people recommend this game on consoles? I plan on getting the PS4 release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Might work better on PS4 than PS3. Control wise it's not a problem, you can use a controller just fine and have a keyboard attached just for chatting. I've never had a real problem, and the leader of our FC plays exclusively on a pad and is on Coil Turn 4. As long as you're serious about learning your class and customizing the controls to suit you and then practicing with them to develop the muscle memory, noone you play with will mind/know.

I think the real problem is the PS3 is not powerful enough to run the game when it gets busy, long loading times, entities in the world like other players or mobs randomly not appearing, that kind of experience. It might be better on PS4, wait for it to come out and make a decision then.

Great post. Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement

Stupid MMO I'm sucked totally in, want my shiny gears......

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ChubbyHubby

I think the real problem is the PS3 is not powerful enough to run the game when it gets busy, long loading times, entities in the world like other players or mobs randomly not appearing, that kind of experience. It might be better on PS4, wait for it to come out and make a decision then.
    The general consensus is that a installing a ssd hard drive on the ps3 will solve a lot of performance issues. The PS3 just can't cope with loading many many files from the hard disk demanded by games like FF14.

Yeah, that would work too. But I think if you're going to invest in an SSD you may as well just save up a bit and upgrade your computer. I suppose if you have a laptop only it's a different story.

I'm still enjoying the game, the FC I was in had some drama and fell apart, joined a new one which is extremely laid-back and social. I'm at 48 now, eager to get to 50 so I can complete my AF gear set. Play a couple of hours every night after work.

One thing that worries me is the two final story dungeons, which I understand are full of cutscenes? I fully intend to watch all of them my first time instead of watching them in the inn, but apparently some groups get annoyed at this and will go on without you? Anyone have any experiences of this? I have heard this is less of an issue than it was at launch, as they have made WP a more attractive dungeon for getting tomes, so there will be more first-time players doing the dungeons than people grinding for tomes. I've also had zero problems in any dungeon so far with cutscenes, people wait for me, I wait for them, nothing is ever said.

Yeah, that would work too. But I think if you're going to invest in an SSD you may as well just save up a bit and upgrade your computer. I suppose if you have a laptop only it's a different story.

I'm still enjoying the game, the FC I was in had some drama and fell apart, joined a new one which is extremely laid-back and social. I'm at 48 now, eager to get to 50 so I can complete my AF gear set. Play a couple of hours every night after work.

One thing that worries me is the two final story dungeons, which I understand are full of cutscenes? I fully intend to watch all of them my first time instead of watching them in the inn, but apparently some groups get annoyed at this and will go on without you? Anyone have any experiences of this? I have heard this is less of an issue than it was at launch, as they have made WP a more attractive dungeon for getting tomes, so there will be more first-time players doing the dungeons than people grinding for tomes. I've also had zero problems in any dungeon so far with cutscenes, people wait for me, I wait for them, nothing is ever said.

No-one I know grinds anything other than WP for tomes, and maybe the odd AK. Having said that I skipped the scenes in CM and Praetorium when I was running them first time, as you do still get some people running others through, and they get a bit antsy if you delay things. Once the 2.1 changes come out, I understand you can select 'story mode' in duty finder rather than grinding, so you should be grouped with people who want to watch the CS. Although you may well be waiting longer, as people might prefer to go for a quicker run - the cut scenes are quite lengthy.

Fair enough. Might try to time the runs to do them with other people from my FC, I know some of them are coming up to their first 50 as well.

Even if people get antsy I'm not going to skip the scenes. They are a part of the game after all, and like you say since you shouldn't be grinding those dungeons, everyone should be in the same boat. If you are trying to rush through it, tough, do a different dungeon.

• Advertisement

Well I did both the dungeons this evening and it was pretty bad. In CM, everyone but me was grinding it for tomes, they did a speedrun avoiding lots of enemies, never explained any of the mechanics to anything, and were overgeared so everything just melted. I was left behind while I was watching the cutscenes but it didn't matter, no one was taking any serious damage for me to heal so I just felt useless. Felt pretty bad, like I would have got the same experience by just watching Youtube.

Praetorium, started out that way, tank and a bunch of the DPS tried to run past the enemies in the first few sections and moaned when others in the group watched the cutscenes. After 5 minutes of whining in chat and us telling them not to look for a speedrun/grind in DF, they got sick of us and left. We had no problems getting all the way to the second to last boss with just one tank, when one joined. Once the speedrunners left I actually had a pretty fun time, we watched the cutscenes and the other tank took the time to explain mechanics. Prae is a fun dungeon. But it exposes you to horrible members of the community.

Well, I'm finally back in as of today :o

Drowning in quests, figuring what I'm meant to do with bags jammed with "dated" gear....

Not liking what I'm reading here about CS, one thing I loved about FFXI is the level of manners thru most of the community. CS's were rare enough, but if I remember rightly, there were no icons or anything to show u we're watching one and it wasn't like everyone was at that point in the storyline. So u could enter whatever that bone tower was called while in an exp party and someone looked like they were just idle a few mins. No one ever said anything, it was understood what was happening and it was all good.

swirlser wrote: »
    Well, I'm finally back in as of today :o

Drowning in quests, figuring what I'm meant to do with bags jammed with "dated" gear....

Not liking what I'm reading here about CS, one thing I loved about FFXI is the level of manners thru most of the community. CS's were rare enough, but if I remember rightly, there were no icons or anything to show u we're watching one and it wasn't like everyone was at that point in the storyline. So u could enter whatever that bone tower was called while in an exp party and someone looked like they were just idle a few mins. No one ever said anything, it was understood what was happening and it was all good.

You can other hang on to your old gear so you can use it for levelling other classes and give it to a retainer(which will you get later by following story quests if you don't have one yet), or you can convert it to materia(again, follow quests to unlock that), or you can sell it on the Market Board.

The way it works is the character goes idle and their health bar in the party list changes to "Viewing cutscene". But if even one person skips the cutscene they can keep on playing, start the boss battle, etc while the cutscene viewers just stand around. That's what happened to me, we'd reach a boss arena, a scene would play showing the boss arriving or whatever, I'd watch it, then by the time it was finished I'd find the rest of the group had already killed the boss and had left me behind as they moved on with the dungeon.

Don't get me wrong, I never had any problems with cut scenes until the last two dungeons. In all the previous ones people were very courteous, never said anything, generally they would take the time while the scene was playing to type a boss strategy into the chat, that kind of thing. The problem only really becomes apparent in the last two dungeons, which are 8mans(everything up to that is 4man), and which drop currency which you need to buy end game gear. So you get people who just want to do the dungeon as quickly as possible and get the currency. That conflicts with people who are following the main story, are doing the dungeon for the first time, and either get pressured to skip cutscenes or just ignored. It creates horrible drama.

If that thing another poster said about adding a "Story Mode" checkbox to the LFG interface in an upcoming patch is true, great, that will solve the problem. Or the people who want to grind should not be using the dungeon finder, they should be forming their own parties. Or they should be grinding other dungeons that are not part of the main story. Because the current setup just left a really bitter taste in my mouth after a levelling experience I had really really enjoyed as part of a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Starting a new character. Which servers would most of you be playing? I was in Odin server.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Just bought this for PS3 as it was only 8 quid on Amazon.. whats the subscription fees like? overall is it worth it?
    Any feedback would be appreciated!

If that thing another poster said about adding a "Story Mode" checkbox to the LFG interface in an upcoming patch is true, great, that will solve the problem.
    It will, altho I see that creating a different problem. You want to grind loot a lot more than the one-off watching of CSs, So doing a dungeon for the first time with story mode checked will result in very long wait times. I hope they add it, but in such a way people can check both - hopefully the result would be not too much of an increase in wait time.
    jaxdasher wrote: »
    Starting a new character. Which servers would most of you be playing? I was in Odin server.
    I'm on Sargatanas - didnt get to pick, was the server my V1.0 char was merged onto and I didnt log in during the time you had the choice to freely move. Friendly encounters so far, so its all good.
    Just bought this for PS3 as it was only 8 quid on Amazon.. whats the subscription fees like? overall is it worth it?
    Any feedback would be appreciated!
    You get a free trial month afaik with a new account (fairly normal), no better way than to try it out urself and see. I'm not back playing long, but it is massively improved from its 1.0 launch state. While there is plenty to do so far and people seem to enjoy the current end game - it doesnt feel as addictive as previous MMOs, which I think is a good thing, means I can happily take some months out here and there and let some content get added without feeling like im missing out. Sub is 12pm, less if u go for longer subs (11pm with a 6month sub). Does seem like a lot, especially when you see what you can get for the money else-where. PS+ annual costs less than 5 months sub and you get shedloads of games - Im well on my way to filling a 750gb hd in my PS3, vita has long since been full (32gb card). Amazon/greenman/steam sales can get some great stuff for cheap and ofc humblebundle, the one thats up right now is stupidly good value. Orcs2 is a lot of fun and thats just 1 of a half dozen titles in that current bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Sure I bought it as a game to play over the month long christmas break i have from college.. so perfect timing to try the free trial.. 12per month is pretty expensive.. yea, i have a 500gb harddrive but its hard to connect to psn in college so i havent bothered with PS+ yet although I've heard it can be really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Anyone still playing? Tried out the 2.1 patch content?

Plenty to do now with all the new content but you have weekly lockouts on the Crystal Tower Gear too which can be frustrating when you are a tied to the RNG that is this games drops at times! Iv done Bahamuts Coil Turn 1 -4 for 4 weeks straight now with not seeing 1 WHM piece...

Still playing, got reic+1, CT chest and pants and rest DL. Mainly doing things with my FC these days, need to get started on Ultima and Mog King this weekend. Generally log in on weeknights to do CT for the 50 myth tomes.

Real problem with the game is the economy- it is completely broken now that everyone is trying to raise money for housing. Nothing sells anymore and as soon as it does, people undercut it in hours and ruin the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Seems theres a free weekend for lapsed players to enjoy 2.1
    The release of patch 2.1 introduced a wealth of new content such as the Crystal Tower 24-man raid, player versus player battles in the Wolves’ Den, new extreme encounters with the primals, further developments in the main scenario and much, much more! Since we’re excited for even more players to experience everything that FFXIV has to offer we’ve decided to host a limited time Free Login Weekend!

If you have friends that played FINAL FANTASY XIV version 1.0 or FFXIV: A Realm Reborn, please be sure to invite them to join you this weekend!

≪ Free Login Weekend ≫

Users who meet the following requirements will be able to play FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn for free during the weekend!

Eligibility
    Users who have previously purchased and registered FINAL FANTASY XIV and whose service account is set as inactive during the campaign period.
    *Please visit the “FINAL FANTASY XIV: Mog Station” to confirm the status of your service account.
    (http://sqex.to/Msp)

Event Schedule
    From Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 08:00 GMT to Monday, January 13, 2014 at 08:00 GMT

• Advertisement

Worth checking out people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ChubbyHubby

Still playing, got reic+1, CT chest and pants and rest DL. Mainly doing things with my FC these days, need to get started on Ultima and Mog King this weekend. Generally log in on weeknights to do CT for the 50 myth tomes.
    I have an i76 warrior and i76 blm. I can't be bothered with coil though FC have 2 groups going.
    Real problem with the game is the economy- it is completely broken now that everyone is trying to raise money for housing. Nothing sells anymore and as soon as it does, people undercut it in hours and ruin the market.
    There's a crafter in my FC who's spends more time crafting than playing. He raised the 25mil for a medium house by providing FC with spiritbinding crafted items and selling materia. It's a complete waste of time though cause houses are pointless trophies ... Money is also pointless since there is nothing to spend it on. So economy broken not a big deal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

really want to get back into this.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Are there many people on here playing this? Just got started on PS3 this morning, been doing a few of the starting quests and I have to say I'm enjoying it so far! That may be in part due to me being a massive FF fan, plus it helps that I can play it properly (my previous online RPG experience was hindered by bad computers and worse internet connections :pac: )

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Wouldnt mind getting this for ps4............

What servers are you guys on?

Odin, I think

Im on Excalibur bu thats a Legacy server where the original 1.0 players are but can still pick it. Unfortunately from what i can tell those that are playing from boards we seem to be spread across 3-4 different servers so no real community. Probably worth jumping on with one of the guys anyway.

I actually can't stop playing this, I may be getting addicted :pac:

• Advertisement

I'm waiting until the PS4 version. We should all do a check to see who's playing it then on boards and get the Irish contingent together!

Advertisement