Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 14 (FFXIV)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Had no problems logging on last night thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

So it this good?

Bored of SWTOR and looking for something new, might give this a go (when they enable digital sales again!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Cina wrote: »
    So it this good?

Bored of SWTOR and looking for something new, might give this a go (when they enable digital sales again!)

Gamestop still has copies for sale.

Gamestop still has copies for sale.

Online or in store?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

In the store.
    Mallow is where I pick it up a few days ago after they stopped the digital sales. They had loads of copies.

• Advertisement

In the store.
    Mallow is where I pick it up a few days ago after they stopped the digital sales. They had loads of copies.

Ok cheers. Might take a gander up Graftan St after work then.

Goodbye life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

FFS tried to log in there, got the usual queue then some lobby timeout message , now i cant even retrieve character list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Odd. I had no problems today. Into a queue of about 50ish. Logged in about 15 seconds later..
    They are still restricting logons though for a day or two.

Managed to get on last night, spent 90minutes running around to talk to a guy then another then another rinse and repeat none of these quests I involved combat :-(
    Incredibly boring, I'm hoping I get back to combat soon.
    I'm sticking to the main story quest as I heard I need to for the mount, no mount yet at lvl 21.

Dcully wrote: »
    Managed to get on last night, spent 90minutes running around to talk to a guy then another then another rinse and repeat none of these quests I involved combat :-(
    Incredibly boring, I'm hoping I get back to combat soon.
    I'm sticking to the main story quest as I heard I need to for the mount, no mount yet at lvl 21.

:confused::confused:
    What quest was that? Can't say I remember it.
    At 21 you are close to the mount quest but it is not quite as simple as that.
    The quest will ask you to join a grand company. Or is THAT what you were doing? Visiting the three towns for the memorial service thingy?
    Once you finish that, you join a grand company of your choosing, after which you need to save up 2000 of their marks to get a chocobo licence. Very easy to get this. Just do company hunts, dungeons or fates.
    I managed to save about 3500 fairly quick (the extra was for a nice tanking sword that was better than anything else I had)

I'm still sitting at 23 on my Gladiator. Personal choice. I wanted to craft some nice heavy Iron armor that is available at level 25 so spent some time getting HQ materials. The metal is easy. The leather however is not so much. Plenty of regular leather, but the HQ stuff is pretty rare. I don't think I even need much.
    Will hopefully have it all tonight. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

From the way things are going server wise it looks like im going to be setting up on Lich, actually managed to create 3x Chars there.

Think im going to main a white mage, and alt a dragoon or blackmage depending on what i think of the play style.

Beautiful looking game is all i can say, the place is jammed packed with people though. Does anyone know what the player limit per server is?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

Calhoun wrote: »
    From the way things are going server wise it looks like im going to be setting up on Lich, actually managed to create 3x Chars there.

Think im going to main a white mage, and alt a dragoon or blackmage depending on what i think of the play style.

Beautiful looking game is all i can say, the place is jammed packed with people though. Does anyone know what the player limit per server is?

Was 5000 simultaneous connections per server, but it is now 7500 simultaneous per server.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Havnt been on here much apologies havnt had a chance to pickup on the last few pages!

Beside the bad launch with the underwhelming server infrastructure and other issues what are peoples thoughts?

Any finished or partial reviews out there are putting the game in good light and praising the new development team. Iv loved it so far but iv powered through the story and currently wokring on some end game gear. Benefits of being a legacy 1.0 player.

What do you guys think? Is anyone playing on Excalibur by chance?

For anyone looking for general tips or advice on leveling and other things!

There are spouts within the story where you will get extremely bored with typical fetch quests. Help x, go to y. These are pure filler for EXP gain to keep your character going until you get to the beefier parts of the story and new dungeons. Stick with it. The later Dungeons and Battles are worth it and challenging. Those of you wondering about Magitek Mounts these are re

http://eorzeareborn.com/leveling/ - Good reference and Wikia that is being updated regularly

- When you unlock Levequests there are NPCs nearby them at each camp for Guildhests. Make sure you guys do these. You get insane amount of EXP for first time runs so well worthwhile queing up for them through the Duty Finder. Need to initiate / unlock through the NPCs originally.

- If you have no quests get to an area that has FATES for your level. Get yourself into a party. General practice it to just shout in the Zone - 'Any FATE Partys?' 'FATE Party Please Invite Me' etc Your contribution bonus is shared amongst a party so you are way more likely to get Gold ratings and more EXP. Partys generally just roam the zone bouncing from FATE to FATE.

On a side note of FATES once you align yourself to a Grand Company you will also get GC Seals for any FATES you do so its also a good way to build up GC seals to get yourself gear / your chocobo etc. Also you can trade in old Dungeon gear you have outleveled depending on your rank.

- Make sure you are also doing your Hunting Log. Great source of EXP for each class.

Now iv had a chance to read over the few pages stick with the Dungeons guys. They are decent exp and best in slot gear for your level. First 3 Dungeons can be pretty much done by any combination once you have some sort of heals. Iv run them with 4 x Arcanists with 2 Tank Carbys and 2 DPS Carbys. While they are bland initially they are all stepping stones and introductions to different mechanics. Remember them because as you start getting up to the higher dungeons from 30+ onwards you will start seeing 2/3 mechanics per boss.

As you get further to the higher Dungeons this multiplies and there are some good challenging fights! Enjoy Stone Vigil, Temple of Quarn & Amdapors Keep. Try get yourself into a static or people you play comfortabliy with because the DF can be frustrating if wiping constantly with players that might not grasp the mechanics :) There are Dungeons that you get through the main story but others you get simply by accepting a quest and taling to the NPC at the entrance. Most of these are picked up in Vesper bay so talk to the NPCs outside the Walking Sands. Ill put up some more posts with other Info :)

Unlocking Dungeons

Sastasha Limsa in Lominsa (15-18)
    How to Unlock : During the main story

Tam Tara Deepcroft in Gridania (16-19)
    How to unlock :During the main story

Copperbell Mines in Uldah (17-20)
    How to unlock :During the main story

Halatali in Uldah (20-23)
    How to unlock :Talk to the NPC outside of the Walking Sands in Vesper Bay

The Thousand Maws of Totorak in Gridania (23-26)
    How to unlock : During the lv 24 quest of the Main Storyline

Haukke's Manor in Gridania (28-31)
    How to unlock : Main Story lv 28 Skeletons in her closet

Brayflox Longstop Limsa in Lominsa (29-32)
    How to unlock : During main story quest L32: The Things We Do for Cheese

The Sunken Temple of Qarn (32-35)
    How to unlock : Talk to Nedrick Ironheart Outisde of Waking Sands

Cutter's Cry Uldah (35-38)
    How to unlock : Silbold (Ul'dah Market Wards)

The Stone Vigil (41-44)
    How to unlock :Story Mission

Dzemael Darkhold in Coertas (41-44)
    How to unlock : Level 41 - quest by your grandcompany (GC), should be at left or right side. The observatory in Coerthas south of Dragonbone by Mor'Dhona entrance (can't rememberNPCs name)

The Wanderer's Palace (50)
    How to unlock : Talk to the NPC near Waking Sands / Allene (Vesper Bay)

The Aurum Vale Coertas (47-50)
    How to unlock : Talk to Nedrick Ironheart outside of Waking Sands

Amdapor Keep (47-49)
    How to unlock : After Main Story

Castrum Meridianum in Mor Dhona (49-50)
    How to unlock : Main Story

The Praetorium in Mor Dhona (49-50)
    How to unlock : Main Story

Minions - Gotta Catch Em All

716769bb084601905b4dc144a1930eb6.pngBaby Bat
    Purchased from Junkmonger Nonoroon for 2400 gil in ??? (X?, Y?)
    Note: Missing FATE/Area.

319928d0beeef6cb470c86c129449a26.pngBaby Bun
    Rewarded for completing the FATE "Lazy For You" with a Gold Medal rating in the East Shroud, by Castrum Oriens (X?, Y?)

bf230906fb09bb6e047eb72f2f7c563d.PNGBaby Raptor
    Purchased from Auriana for 125 Allagan Tomestones of Philosophy in Revenant's Toll, Mor Dhona (X22, Y8)
    Purchased from Boughberry Trader for 2400 gil in Redbelly Hive, South Shroud (X22,Y17) after the successful completion of the FATE chain "Clearing The Hive"

db1cdc09d1f4b532a2004c4da519eca6.PNGCherry Bomb
    Purchased from Bango Zango for 2400 gil in Limsa Lominsa Lower Docks (X9, Y11)
    Purchased from Maisenta for 2400 gil in Old Gridania (X?, Y?)
    Purchased from Roarich for 2400 gil in Ul'dah - Steps of Nald (X10, Y9)

88f5ec5c9c49a3b5a2c4a630b887f0ae.pngChigoe Larva
    Rewarded for completing the sidequest "Occupational Hazards" from Yoenne in Quarrymill, South Shroud (X?,Y?).

0382178cadf4cfd10802afc8be22461c.PNGCoblyn Larva
    Gathered by Miner. Level46-50 Log Entry. Northern Thanalan, Blue Fog. Details

e937ad8af09e7dec1e210a19eee0d065.PNGDust Bunny
    Purchased from Auriana for 125 Allagan Tomestones of Philosophy in Revenant's Toll, Mor Dhona (X22, Y8)

1e05dde72ff6f55fd4b8b446016a947f.pngFlame Hatchling / 16e188bb1f038e89a6118420d1ae7609.pngSerpent Hatchling / 2fafdc40081b02025d18df346d5f675b.pngStorm Hatchling
    Purchased from their respective Grand Company vendors for 20000 seals.

2beaf4e389bd49d947c9773a9f3c989d.PNGFledging Dodo

2e27f8db255d5179f4d79d6251182e6e.pngGobbue Sproutling
    Rewarded for completing the level33 Main Scenario Quest: ??? (in Costa Del Sol).
    Note: Missing quest name

0c44c2f1871e8f4d599172c9195b9fde.PNGGravel Golem
    Crafted by Goldsmith. Level46-50 Recipe. Difficulty: 93. Durability: 80. Wind Shard x99, Astral Rock x3.

0c4682cd84ad07b7b72379e007972281.PNGKidragora
    Gathered by Botanist. Level 46-50 Log Entry. East Shroud, ???. Details

c786eb7b079f9c9268ce429f7a7aaa9b.PNGMammet #001

9ebe3e28bc528d9b7623ac9fee74a983.pngMammet #003G / b25aad91b43038ec0e4395bb33f7495a.pngMammet #003L / 8bf85aed6841681667a958f2d73bc778.pngMammet #003U
    Rewarded for completing their respective Grand Company's Hunting Log.

76e57aa80daca51ee1051446eab17e5c.PNGModel Vanguard
    Crafted by Goldsmith. Level46-50 Recipe. Difficulty: 93. Durability: 80. Wind Shard x99, Garlean Steel Plate x1, Garlean Steel Joint x1

8541ae198343c7c6b2e53d074426e726.pngMorbol Bulb
    Obtained from a chest in the Aurum Vale dungeon (level47). Chest position: (X?,Y?).
    Note: Missing confirmations/position.
    Note: Aurum Vale quest can be picked up in Vesper Bay (west of Horizon).

f720fbd55eb50be4d2461a2838130a15.pngSmallshell
    Rewarded for completing the FATE "It's not Lupus" with a Gold Medal rating in Eastern La Noscea, south of Costa del Sol (X?,Y?)

b357d95171c19247b0728d4b1d80e4f3.pngTiny Rat
    Purchased from a vendor for 2400 gil in Highbridge, Eastern Thanalan (east of Drybone) after the successful completion of the FATE chain "Attack On Highbridge"
    Warning: possible bug

dad61518146dfcb53629320a0e7959bc.pngTiny Tortoise
    Gathered by Fisher. Very rare catch in the Salt Strand in Lower La Noscea (use Northern Krill or Yumizuno).

5549dbd754aa4656eab7c9362f9a41b9.PNGWayward Hatchling

391e675dbfac4ec788b015a1ca61617c.PNGWind-up Airship
    Rewarded for completing the level15 Main Scenario Quest: The Gridanian/Ul'dahn/Lominsan Envoy.

88253603222f15d00439df2930ead9d2.PNGWind-up Aldgoat
    Crafted by Weaver. Level 46-50 Recipe. Difficulty: 93. Durability: 80. Lightning Shard x99, Vanya Silk x1, Twinthread x1, Chocobo Feather x1.

acc7aa0facba3fe2fe7f0802811e3d2d.PNGWind-up Dullahan
    Crafted by Armorer. Level46-50 Recipe. Difficulty: 93. Durability: 80. Water Shard x99, Darksteel Nugget x3

382a242cca400d0b2e00460914bd1d02.PNGWind-up Qiqirn
    Crafted by Weaver. Level 46-50 Recipe. Difficulty: 93. Durability: 80. Lightning Shard x99, Vanya Silk x1, Twinthread x1, Chocobo Feather x1

Special Minions
    Here are the minions that you can't obtain normally while in the game, as they require codes or extra purchases of some kind.

d031177752c843933a161bf71a07fb15.pngCait Sith doll
    Pre-order bonus.
    Note: Some retailers are running low on codes - make sure your preorder code is sent right away.

1aeadcc14736809a35c7ca1664a858f3.pngBaby Behemoth
    Collector's Edition bonus.
    Note: If you are a 1.0 player and your account is NOT CE you will have to purchase the ARR PS3 CE or PC Digital Upgrade.

440df7b00b8488c75906d286aaf7375f.pngWind-up Dalamud
    "Before Meteor" OST preorder bonus.
    Note: The code is supposed to be region-free, but the OST will eventually be available in all regions.

f017be60dffb110bd102f46097ee4896.pngWind-up Cursor Minion
    30-day Veteran Reward.
    Note: You should get this pet after your first monthly charge.

31d812278bc424c5b6f209678a32dbb9.pngBlack Chocobo Chick
    60-day Veteran Reward.
    Note: If you pay for 60 days in advance you will obtain this pet right away.

c270809e92c867675ac46ec504d62ff3.pngBeady Eye
    90-day Veteran Reward.
    Note: If you pay for 90 days in advance you will obtain this pet right away.

Notes
    -You can purchase the old Hamlet items (coke, potash, etc) for 100 Allagan Tomestones of Philosophy each in Revenant's Toll (Mor Dhona) or run Amdapor Keep or other high level dungeons.
    -You can get Allagan Tomestones of Philosophy by trading gear with cracked materia on it to the Calamity Salvager. Doublemelds and triplemelds give the most tomestones.
    -Planning on adding in-game pictures eventually, feel free to post yours
    Unknown/Unconfirmed Sources
    af6525bd4f03680cc5ec380d12f3fec5.pngGigantpole[/SIZE]

This is an ongoing post over on www.Bluegartr.com which has been compiled by a user Solracht and many of the forum posters mentioned above.- http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/117575-Minion-List

Credit goes to xivdb.com for many of the pet icons. Check out the datamined pets here

Just to throw in here, dunno how the rest of you are doing but since the upgrade a few days a go I've not had a single problem logging on.
    At most I was in a queue of around 20 and was logged in about 30 seconds later! Delighted with the upgrade.

As for me, I wasn't on much during the week so only have my Glad at level 25 now. But I did manage to craft myself some spiffy new armor:
    http://i.imgur.com/aNF7Tid.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/vnxRTvC.jpg

Been questing along. Story quests are still great. Learning about primals and who / why they are being summoned etc..

This is finally a game that seems to have captured my interest. Since I left WoW 2ish years a go I've tried them all. From older games like AoC and LOTR to Rift, Star Wars, Neverwinter... This one has kept me interested after the first 10 levels.
    Rift got me for about 15 levels. Neverwinter had me for a while longer. Can't remember why I stopped playing... Anyway..

Thus far I'm enjoying the lot of it. I've found crafting to be a little frustrating. It's very difficult to be self sufficient completely. You'll end up needing materials from other classes but I guess that is not a bad thing. It will keep the message boards (auction houses) alive.
    The beauty of the game is amazing. Better than any I've seen (except maybe the screens of ESO but that's another story)

I do have my gripes with the game I'll admit. If anyone figures out how to target the mob directly in front of you please do let me know. It's driving me insane. Tab is a load of $hite. Target the next closest mob my butt. It targets all over the shop and makes my job as a tank very difficult. But I adapt, which is the job of a good tank...
    Most of it is "Quality of life" type stuff anyway so not a big deal. All that will come with time hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

This game looks pretty... Gonna get it when I get home from my holidays!

• Advertisement

Glad to hear you are enjoying it Noxin. Really enjoying it myself. Part of me wishes i had of started over and been doing this from the ground up but then another part of me is glad i have all the previous work to fall back on. While i havnt had to do any major leveling they still made sure there was enough for Legacy playres to get caught up on and have done etc.

Currently working towards my relic and have been kitting myself out in Darklight which im really happy about! Just need to beat Garuda nd Titan hard which could take me ages!

Does anyone play this with AMD GFX cards? It is prone to horrible stuttering due to no direct 9 support from AMD right now on their latest drivers. Iv had to settle for standard settings. GF Some SS below of maximum which is on a HD7970 Ghz Vapor X card but iv ordered a GTX 770 and game looks fantastic on those card so will look forward to that!

One of the more important issues i find is, how the **** do you easily ignore gold farming baxstards :(, blacklist sucks the big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Does this come with the 1st month free?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Anyone wrote: »
    Does this come with the 1st month free?

As far as I know, yes.

MarkJD wrote: »
    Does anyone play this with AMD GFX cards? It is prone to horrible stuttering due to no direct 9 support from AMD right now on their latest drivers. Iv had to settle for standard settings. GF Some SS below of maximum which is on a HD7970 Ghz Vapor X card but iv ordered a GTX 770 and game looks fantastic on those card so will look forward to that!

I'm running a GTX 670 on Max and it's beautiful looking. The odd stutter in crowded areas but I can live with that. I could also OC the card a bit if I wanted but I haven't yet. The 770 will blow that out of the water. I'm looking to get another 670 soon and SLI them but from what I understand, there is/was a few issues with SLI still.

@Calhoun: You can't yet but that will be addressed soon. I'd imagine next patch as that shouldn't be difficult to sort.
    @Anyone: Yes.

Since the latest update ive had no problems logging in.
    | havent played much, still only lvl 24.
    Not a fan of crafting at all, dont think ill bother any further, seems a real chore and not enjoyable at all.
    After Neverwinter every MMO`s combat feels sterile to me but this is definitely one of the better examples of traditional tab/target combat.
    I absolutely hate the world map,doesnt seem to have any structure or geographic layout to it,easily the worst ive seen in an mmo,the local map of the zone you are in is excellent though, its a weird combo.
    Very good mmo so far but not in a position to pass a final judgement until i see what endgame content is there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Glad to hear you are enjoying it Noxin. Really enjoying it myself. Part of me wishes i had of started over and been doing this from the ground up but then another part of me is glad i have all the previous work to fall back on. While i havnt had to do any major leveling they still made sure there was enough for Legacy playres to get caught up on and have done etc.

Currently working towards my relic and have been kitting myself out in Darklight which im really happy about! Just need to beat Garuda nd Titan hard which could take me ages!

I have a 770gtx and it looks really nice.

Noxin I like your new armour,very nice indeed,would mind me some armour like that :D.

For crafting do you have to choose a discipline? like blacksmithing or something and then go out and gather materials from enemies?

Guys there is a blacklist system. Its the social section under Black list. Just type their name and add it in. You can right click on peoples names in the chat list but they havnt added in Blacklist as they felt people would accidently add others and it would lead to problems.

Noxin wrote: »
    I'm running a GTX 670 on Max and it's beautiful looking. The odd stutter in crowded areas but I can live with that. I could also OC the card a bit if I wanted but I haven't yet. The 770 will blow that out of the water. I'm looking to get another 670 soon and SLI them but from what I understand, there is/was a few issues with SLI still.

@Calhoun: You can't yet but that will be addressed soon. I'd imagine next patch as that shouldn't be difficult to sort.
    @Anyone: Yes.
    I have a 770gtx and it looks really nice.

Noxin I like your new armour,very nice indeed,would mind me some armour like that :D.

For crafting do you have to choose a discipline? like blacksmithing or something and then go out and gather materials from enemies?

Good to hear about the card guys! Will look forward to it. Everything i have seen the Nvidia cards make the game look much better. The current AMD problems arent tied to soley this game but very annoying. It will be my firs ttime moving away from AMD in 8 years. I will gather up some photos and post them up shortly

• Advertisement

Guys there is a blacklist system. Its the social section under Black list. Just type their name and add it in. You can right click on peoples names in the chat list but they havnt added in Blacklist as they felt people would accidently add others and it would lead to problems.

Quite stupid of them most mmo's have this functionality , especially as there doesn't seen to be a distinct way of filtering chat . Blacklist is ****e as you have to manually type the name .

Advertisement