Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 14 (FFXIV)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Must agree with Cal here. It was very stupid not to have a right click - ignore/report option.

They were worried about accidental adding of friends? Solution: Add a delete option to the blacklist.
    It's not rocket science. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I am thinking of picking it up later, hows the server log in issues ? sorted out yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Calhoun wrote: »
    Quite stupid of them most mmo's have this functionality , especially as there doesn't seen to be a distinct way of filtering chat . Blacklist is ****e as you have to manually type the name .
    Noxin wrote: »
    Must agree with Cal here. It was very stupid not to have a right click - ignore/report option.

They were worried about accidental adding of friends? Solution: Add a delete option to the blacklist.
    It's not rocket science. :P

Yep i agree with you guys! Its quote convuluted right now. Even some of the party functionality is annoying. Even when you get a friend request you get a popup on your screen and it brings you to the friend list and yuo hae to see that person on that list and right click and accept friends request. Quite silly!

Im sure as more important stuff is fixed they will get to the more annoying little fixes. Have to remember they continued a service for 1.0 with patches and made that game maybe 50% more playable than it was when it launched while working on a pretty much brand new MMO so alot of stuff were not treated as priority.

Heck their sort inventory is horrible but being looked at for the next patch!

Lone Stone wrote: »
    I am thinking of picking it up later, hows the server log in issues ? sorted out yet ?

No probs logging in for me the last few days. At max I've had a queue of around 40 and been logged in a minute later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

MarkJD wrote: »
    Yep i agree with you guys! Its quote convuluted right now. Even some of the party functionality is annoying. Even when you get a friend request you get a popup on your screen and it brings you to the friend list and yuo hae to see that person on that list and right click and accept friends request. Quite silly!

Im sure as more important stuff is fixed they will get to the more annoying little fixes. Have to remember they continued a service for 1.0 with patches and made that game maybe 50% more playable than it was when it launched while working on a pretty much brand new MMO so alot of stuff were not treated as priority.

Heck their sort inventory is horrible but being looked at for the next patch!

The game has its flaws don't get me wrong but many of us are experienced with launch mmo's and do understand that it takes time to smooth out the crinkles.

Overall it's a polished mmo it's not a primary mmo for me (yet) but as a ff fan this has brought some of the spark back to the games (12 & 13 really were poo) .

Ill probably start playing more once I find a guild (free company's believe ) but as I joined this late I'm probably one of the few on lich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

So the PS4 version is free to play if you have the PS3 version, not sure if that means it's one sub so you don't need a new sub or whether you can get the PS4 downloaded free by having the PS3 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Weird game.....so...you start off with really really good looking gear and everytime you get an upgrade, it looks worse. The map is horrible as are the layout of the cities. I have found I have spent more time in this game trying to find places/npcs than anything else really.

The good points....I enjoy the combat, graphically its very good and the sounds bring me back to FF goodness.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

really liking this mmo, think i'll switch over to it from Star Wars Old Republic, and there is more to it than warcraft which ive really goten bored of over past 2 to 3 years. I played the original FFXIV and hated it, this is much improved and is more like a modern updated FFXI, a game which I also really enjoyed back in the day and the game which originally started me into the world of MMO games!

Anyone wrote: »
    Weird game.....so...you start off with really really good looking gear and everytime you get an upgrade, it looks worse. The map is horrible as are the layout of the cities. I have found I have spent more time in this game trying to find places/npcs than anything else really.

The good points....I enjoy the combat, graphically its very good and the sounds bring me back to FF goodness.

Not sure what specific gear you are talking but as you progress through the dungeons especially Brayfloxx the gear starts looking great especially the Battlemage set. When you get to the 50 and start farming AK the gear doesnt look the best ill grant you that but thats just filler gear until you get your Darklight which you get from the stones you collect from each AK run. Darklight looks badass and is the best filler gear until the ilvl90 stuff from Bahamuts Coil. Ill get some SS up from some of the later content / gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭TokenWhite

Thinking of getting this for the PS3. How does the console version compare to the PC version? Would have thought the keyboard and mouse were much more suited to playing an MMO (or at least the traditional archetype MMO) than a controller? Is combat more restricted with a controller? Don't think I'd buy a game where I thought it had been designed primarily with a keyboard and mouse in mind, I always felt they seemed less fluid, especially combat and communication

• Advertisement

also one of the better DB websites out there is www.xivdb.com

Has built in Model viewer too if you want to see what gear will look like etc!

TokenWhite wrote: »
    Thinking of getting this for the PS3. How does the console version compare to the PC version? Would have thought the keyboard and mouse were much more suited to playing an MMO (or at least the traditional archetype MMO) than a controller? Is combat more restricted with a controller? Don't think I'd buy a game where I thought it had been designed primarily with a keyboard and mouse in mind, I always felt they seemed less fluid, especially combat and communication

The biggest problem with the PS3 imo is the hardware limitations but the game has been very well optimized given this. They put alot of work into the Controller Hotbar so alot of stuff is very easily accessible for fights etc. I used a controller in 1.0 and it was fine but now on the PC im using the Mouse and Keyboard but give controller a shot you might be surprised.There are loads of PC users using the Controller layout.

Biggest annoyance you might find are some loading times and the amount of stuff that can be displayed on screen. If your thinking of getting the PS4 it would be worth getting as you will get FFXIV for free on the PS4 if you buy for the PS3 and that is far far superior with DX11 upgrade if what they are telling us is anything to go by.

I picked it up yesterday on the pc, Character creation was very nice now but i have to say the starting missions are seriously boring the crap out of me running around non stop talking to npcs >_< I started as an archanist so i dont know if the same for everything.

Also all the eu servers are locked which is really kind of annoying me.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

I picked it up yesterday on the pc, Character creation was very nice now but i have to say the starting missions are seriously boring the crap out of me running around non stop talking to npcs >_< I started as an archanist so i dont know if the same for everything.

Also all the eu servers are locked which is really kind of annoying me.
    :mad:

I started as a Marauder, and it is the exact same thing. I actually stopped playing after leaving the pub and synching with the big homestone thing. It just bored the pants off me. I'm going to persevere though, get through 20 levels or so and see what my impressions are then.

And yes, the whole issue with EU servers being locked to new characters is just bloody annoying. I don't want to be on a US server. I may hold off till the servers are open to new chars.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Lvl 26 on my Gladiator and must admit to getting very bored.
    Im also finding the class system to be more gimmicky than anything else.
    Looking at the skills i will unlock on the way to 50 they are just boring and very limited,same can be said for my conjurer and thaumturge.
    Maybe things will change once we get to the jobs at lvl 30 but so far i only use 2-3 skills on each class :(
    I agree about the starting quests, easily the most boring ive ever come across in an mmo, constantly running around to talk to this guy and that guy zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Il give it a go i mean, it was 25 euro and i didnt have to pay a enter sub details either so, il definitely get my moneys worth out of it. I did restart with a lancer guy and i was going to make some more just to try them out a bit.

Is their anyway to skip the intro after you make a character :confused:

Really anoying amount of spam going on log in first time, chat is constant shouting from gold sellers, so i remove shout from the chat windows now im being constantly pm'd gold selling spam and yet i can click their and get an add friend option but cant ignore :mad:

Spam is being addressed at the moment. There is a blacklist but it's not very useful as you have to type the names in manually and it's a bit annoying.

There is another massive maintenance from tonight until tomorrow morning. Hopefully it will fix / improve a few issues.

I agree about the starting quests. They are quite boring. They seem to be there to introduce you to some of the game mechanics such as emotes, handing over items etc.. Pointless imo but meh. They don't take too long to get through. It improves after that.

@Dcully: I'm 27/28 on Glad now. I agree it was getting a bit boring. I decided to increase some of my defensive abilities by leveling a few other classes to 6-8. Lancer, Mara & Pug give you a few extra defensive moves. Granted they are not much use when you get to be a loladin but gives a slight extra option for now. Tanked Tot-Rak or whatever it was called last night too. Very easy tbh.

The storyline quests keep me interested. Some of the other side quests are a little annoying though. Am still very happy with the game. The only thing that could pull me away from it at the moment would be an ESO beta invite. :P

Thank god they are doing something about the spam, its probably one of the things putting me off the game the most. Its horrible coming out of an inn to meet a wall of text that is scrolling so much you cant see who to add to the blacklist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Is their anyway to skip the intro after you make a character :confused:

After smashing every key combo I could think of, I couldn't skip the intro

• Advertisement

While this is only useful for /tells you can create a macro and add it to your hotbar.

/blist add <r>

This will blacklist the last person that sent you a tell. Might help a little bit for now!

After smashing every key combo I could think of, I couldn't skip the intro

The intro can't be skipped afaik and I find that very stupid.
    I understand why you can't skip the carriage bit when you are talking to some bloke as your choices reflect the first ring you get but everything before that should be skipable. Then again I doubt I'll level a second character as I like the idea of having one "Super Character" if you get my drift. :pac:

I'm only home now so I doubt I'll be logging on tonight except maybe for a bit of gathering. Once I finish work tomorrow however I'm off until Tuesday so will probably drain my life away in it (except for a brief period on Saturday evening for the rugby) :D

Is anyone on Odin in a guild. I still haven't bothered to join one. I've gotten a bunch of invites but I hate people just randomly inviting me without even saying who / what they are. End up just ignoring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

Noxin wrote: »
    The intro can't be skipped afaik and I find that very stupid.
    I understand why you can't skip the carriage bit when you are talking to some bloke as your choices reflect the first ring you get but everything before that should be skipable. Then again I doubt I'll level a second character as I like the idea of having one "Super Character" if you get my drift. :pac:

I'm only home now so I doubt I'll be logging on tonight except maybe for a bit of gathering. Once I finish work tomorrow however I'm off until Tuesday so will probably drain my life away in it (except for a brief period on Saturday evening for the rugby) :D

Is anyone on Odin in a guild. I still haven't bothered to join one. I've gotten a bunch of invites but I hate people just randomly inviting me without even saying who / what they are. End up just ignoring it.

Still looking for one myself :(

If anyone wants to add me:

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2238298/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Kripparrian not planning to play it.
    I have to admit im finding it pretty dull the more i play :(

Dcully wrote: »
    Kripparrian not planning to play it.
    I have to admit im finding it pretty dull the more i play :(

I like it , not because its a great mmo but because its a nice addition to FF, I disliked FFXIII as felt it focused way to much on little emo bastards and ****ty voice acting . I don't know what it is with this game just makes me nostalgic for the old text based FF stories .

For more serious mmo I'm still playing wow, new patch is out and timeless isle is cool .

its not a bad game now, i got a thaumaturge to 12 there but on a american server cant get onto moogle with some friends so just re rolling on lich.

How do i start gathering crafting materials ? :confused:

its not a bad game now, i got a thaumaturge to 12 there but on a american server cant get onto moogle with some friends so just re rolling on lich.

How do i start gathering crafting materials ? :confused:

Complete your level 10 class quest. Once that is done you can change to any other class including the gathering / crafting classes.

Or depending on the material required, it can be farmed from mobs.

Yah makings a new account can be a pain , I'm on lich and have a char on moogle but as I could add more than one on lich I play there .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Is there anywhere to get individual patch mirrors? I'm only on 1 mb and my internet likes to time out so downloading a 3.5gb patch is not going to happen... May have to take a visit to the brother's house... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

n1ck wrote: »
    Is there anywhere to get individual patch mirrors? I'm only on 1 mb and my internet likes to time out so downloading a 3.5gb patch is not going to happen... May have to take a visit to the brother's house... :(

The download should resume from where you left off.

Advertisement