Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 14 (FFXIV)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Razleavy wrote: »
    The download should resume from where you left off.

Oh cool, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Finally beat Titan Hard Mode... Man that fight is tough! You can learn his patterns but really requires everyone to be on their A game and dodge stuff! Server lag and latency problems are not your friend for this fight!

Got my WHM relic too! Did some of the Bahamuts Coil last night... Stuff is hard! Spend time gearing your jobs towards the end game guys! Save up your Tomestones for the Darklight it will be your friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

MarkJD wrote: »
    Finally beat Titan Hard Mode... Man that fight is tough! You can learn his patterns but really requires everyone to be on their A game and dodge stuff! Server lag and latency problems are not your friend for this fight!

Got my WHM relic too! Did some of the Bahamuts Coil last night... Stuff is hard! Spend time gearing your jobs towards the end game guys! Save up your Tomestones for the Darklight it will be your friend!

Third FF free week (thanks work), but home on Saturday and plan to spend a long time catching up. I'm only THM 26 at moment - feel like I really fell behind!! Also ordered a GTX 760 while away, which has arrived, so will be able to crank the gfx to Ultra or Stupid or whatever it is......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

I have to admit I've not played in a few days myself and with GTA V out today, it might be another while before I do.

Not for a lack of enjoying the game at all. But lets face it... its GTA V... I don't need to say much else.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

^

This being at the end game scene and being in an end game FC its hard to not be at events but miss out on GTA V... Went for a midnight launch have played a good bit but bouncing all free time between the two!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

Now that the launch hell is over with, I'm getting used to turning the game on and playing it.
    I like the style. I like the pace, I love the exploration and I only wish the world was larger so I could keep discovering new places.

To the "to simplistic" nay-sayers: Who says each successive MMO needs to be "more hardcore" then the last? There always comes a time in inflation of hardcore-ness where enough is enough and the tempo is halved by general consensus.
    Just like with rock music, or the amount of chilli you like on your food if you're used to a constant incline, eventually you'll find yourself outside of the majority who thinks "enough is enough this isin't really enjoying music/food anymore, I'm going to leave the 10 chilli dishes/Nu-death-core alone and tip toe back to things I actually enjoy eating/listening too".

FFXIV throws the cock measuring tape out the window.
    If you want to race to lv 50 you can.
    If you want to do nothing but kill kill kill you can, but don't then throw your hands in the air wondering why you're not getting a fulfilling experience:
    Stop trying to put chilli into a delicately spiced Korma, and stop being the 'this guy' of a meduim tempo rock song.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Bored of it now in a big way, havent even hit lvl 30,then again i havent played in over a week.

GTA V is going to clear so many people out of this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

The materia system sucks, it actually annoys me so much, its a major reason why I wont be subbing.

Fwiw...I get the materia quest and do it, so now I can make materia. Ok...so lets add some....no...you need to be a crafter...so I get a tailor up to lvl 20...ok, now I can put some in, oh wait....my other class is lvl 28, so I cant add materia into lvl 20+ gear unless I skill up the tailor again.....and I can only add to cloth...for some reason I had a leather item i could wear, but I need to be a leatherworker to attach materia on it....fuuuuuuuuuuuuck off.

I'm just getting back into it after 3 weeks away due to work. My THM is now 27, so not much further to go to hit 30 and open up BLM.

I had 100 leves available too... so am working through them. Also did Ifrit story mode which was fun (until the end when the tank ate it, and i was kiting Ifrit trying to use the limit break - i can laugh now ;)

Also got my chocobo and am doing GC quests to get tokens for the nice armour.

I guess now taht the game has 'matured' a bit and the initial excitment has worn off, people are now starting to spot issues, e.g. FATE grinding and so on. I agree about the materia system - i'd prefer not to be able to make it myself but be able to attach it - i bought some eysterday and can't do anything with it >.< Its been a while since i played WOW but I'm pretty sure anyone could socket a gem (although I was a jeweller so I might be wrong....)

Anyway, i'm still enjoying it, I don't get as much time to play (maybe 2 hours a day max) at the moment, so i'm not overdosing too much. I would like to join a FC but I haven't had a chance to look into it, and i think it'll become more important after 30.

SE do seem to be aware of some of these initial problems, so hopefully they will address them (e.g. I read somewhere that 'fixing the economy' is a priority), so i'm going to stick with it for a while and see how it develops.

On a positive note, servers seem still very busy (had some queues over weekend, maybe 5 mins max wait), however the real test will be in a few weeks when trials run out.

• Advertisement

It was their intention that you request craftsmen to do materia attaching for you (there's even a particular request for it).
    This was probably a strategy since as a craftsman you're shafted almost every other way (worthless prices for stuff you make).

Eventually you'll probably end up with a situation where craftsmen will start putting up their sweat 'n' blood crafted HQ equipment, materia equipped and ready to go like a delicately produced wedding cake.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

anyone having problems past 24 hours trying to play the game, I keep getting logged out and only the Japanese server list is refreshed each time?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Doesnt seem being completely out of the loop has hurt me here - even tho the game got great reviews and lots of positivity in general, just a month in and people going a bit meh on it o.O

Had no internet for over a month and RL just way too hectic to play much of anything, so Ive not yet ventured in! Excited to get going soon tho ;)

And yup, GTA is a thing, big fan back when it was a simple top down (!), hardly played a few hours total of 3/4/exp packs (gotta be honest, thats how little I payed attention ^.^), but with the press 5's gotten, I know Im gonna go in and check that out - also the last several https://www.humblebundle.com/ packs have had some great content, Ive just downloaded over a dozen games - SO much to chip away at!!

Gonzo wrote: »
    anyone having problems past 24 hours trying to play the game, I keep getting logged out and only the Japanese server list is refreshed each time?

Not had any problems over the weekend - longest wait was 3/4 mins for a queue of 12 on Odin.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How do you renew you sub?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I just can't get motivated to grind fates from lvl 47-49 for the next story mission, would probably be finished the story by now if i was bothered but just really not arsed

How do you renew you sub?

Mogstation?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ArthurG wrote: »
    Mogstation?

thanks I'll have a look there.

Are ye gonna renew your subs?

I will but not until November as I'm away for most of October :(

You have to buy crysta to re sub?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i renewed my sub on mogstation using credit card

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

My trial ended today after playing it twice. I blame GTA, but i've also no real interest in going back right now.

Boss at the end of Sunken Temple of Qarn is a bitch.... but we whooped its ass ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Feeling a bit lost now on where to go with the game. I'm level 32, initially ACN and unlocked the SCH job. I tried healing the next story dungeon, Brayflox's Longstop, but had a miserable experience ending in a wipe. Don't know whether to blame the tank(it was a pug group) or my healing.
    Not sure what to do with myself. If I want to go down the SCH route full time I need to grind a few thousand GC seals to reset my stats so I can put my points into Mind, since I was putting them into Intelligence as an ACN. Then I would want to run through all the previous dungeons a few times to practise my gameplay skills, and probably do Haukke a lot to gear up. But I'm not sure I enjoy playing SCH enough for all this. Or that I am physically capable of the micro needed for proper pet control, since I have been playing. I could always go level THM instead and play SMN, but I feel like I'd be letting myself down playing a mindless DPS class that is not valued anywhere as much as a tank or healer, no matter how good you are.
    Also, general social anxiety problems are flaring up from playing the game. While I want to be a good healer(and take advantage of shorter DF times), I'm not sure I can mentally handle the responsibility, especially at higher level and endgame. When we wiped at Brayflox I just Alt-F4'd the game, blaming myself for the wipe. That kind of experience makes me consider dropping the game entirely.

It is a really fun game though. It has problems. but I think the biggest thing I would like to change is to make leves give more exp, so you can do them instead of FATEs. I can't imagine that the way areas like Aleport or Costa del Sol are dominated by roving bands of characters killing FATE mobs in 1 hit is what the developers intended. People should be playing dungeons or doing leves for exp when they run out of quests, but it seems most people don't like playing with others in the dungeons and just want to get through them. The way the game suddenly forces you to play with others in three consecutive dungeons for story progression is poorly handled I think. I know personally it just put me off playing for a while until I built up the courage to do the dungeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭swirlser

Sounds like your taking the game a little too seriously. If it was genuinely your own lack of skill that caused the wipe then by all means take some time to do another role for a change or get some more experience in the healing role doing other things.

I've not healed a group yet in XIV (or played it at all since 2.0 even). But, if it's anything like other MMORPGs, then these scenarios happen from time to time. You mention it was a PuG - been in a million of those, sometimes meeting skilled players who are a joy just to play with and sometimes (slightly more often!) meeting idiots who don't know how to play their class, understand an encounter, or how best to aid the entire group. Those bad groups are part of rolling the dice going into a PuG, and poor players often don't even know the cause of the failure but will loudly express it was someone else's fault.

Still comes back to - it is just a game. Play it if you enjoy it more than it stresses you (tanking and healing come with *some* stress!). Maybe try join a guild/company/whatever it's called in FF, that have a similar play style and approach to the game you do?

(Oh, and don't diss dps'ers! May not come with stress, but any decent player appreciates having someone that can squeeze every drop of dps out while not overstepping threat/aggro lvls ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

Feeling a bit lost now on where to go with the game. I'm level 32, initially ACN and unlocked the SCH job. I tried healing the next story dungeon, Brayflox's Longstop, but had a miserable experience ending in a wipe. Don't know whether to blame the tank(it was a pug group) or my healing.
    Not sure what to do with myself. If I want to go down the SCH route full time I need to grind a few thousand GC seals to reset my stats so I can put my points into Mind, since I was putting them into Intelligence as an ACN. Then I would want to run through all the previous dungeons a few times to practise my gameplay skills, and probably do Haukke a lot to gear up. But I'm not sure I enjoy playing SCH enough for all this. Or that I am physically capable of the micro needed for proper pet control, since I have been playing. I could always go level THM instead and play SMN, but I feel like I'd be letting myself down playing a mindless DPS class that is not valued anywhere as much as a tank or healer, no matter how good you are.
    Also, general social anxiety problems are flaring up from playing the game. While I want to be a good healer(and take advantage of shorter DF times), I'm not sure I can mentally handle the responsibility, especially at higher level and endgame. When we wiped at Brayflox I just Alt-F4'd the game, blaming myself for the wipe. That kind of experience makes me consider dropping the game entirely.

It is a really fun game though. It has problems. but I think the biggest thing I would like to change is to make leves give more exp, so you can do them instead of FATEs. I can't imagine that the way areas like Aleport or Costa del Sol are dominated by roving bands of characters killing FATE mobs in 1 hit is what the developers intended. People should be playing dungeons or doing leves for exp when they run out of quests, but it seems most people don't like playing with others in the dungeons and just want to get through them. The way the game suddenly forces you to play with others in three consecutive dungeons for story progression is poorly handled I think. I know personally it just put me off playing for a while until I built up the courage to do the dungeons.

Brayflox is where dungeons start to pickup in difficulty e.g. mobs start to hit harder, tanks need to be able to dodge, etc. If you could heal in the previous instances then I don't think it was your fault, and no need to worry if it was! I can relate to this playing as War, especially on the first run or two, but feck it! No point in worrying about it :)

Patch 2.1 will increase the Exp earned in dungeons, so that should help things. Have you tried crafting/gathering? It's fun and might take your mind of other things for a bit! One thing I used to do was keep my Smn and War at near the same level so I could run a dungeon on Smn first and then brave it on War. I did eventually stop this, but it might be something to look into?

One other thing, try and join a free company that has some friendly, but go for one that doesn't have 200+ people in it would be my advice.

So I'm back playing this week after a 3 week absence.

Having a ton of rested XP helps, but I'm finding I'm breezing through the levels. I've also joined a friendly FC on Odin, which seems to be well populated and has a few Irish on it, so that's really adding to the sense of community.

Game wise the mechanics have definitely taken a step upwards in complexity. I've just hit level 43, and the last few dungeons have introduced some complex mechanics in - OK not WOW level in WOTLK or anything (sorry that's my last WOW benchmark), but challenging none the less. Sunken temple is a total bitch - I'm glad I got it once, no desire to go back there again.....

I'm hopefully going to hit 45 tomorrow and will start my AF quests, then onwards to 50. I haven't found myself short of anything to do, I ran into a queue to get online yesterday evening, place is still well populated (although well spread out at this stage), and the forthcoming patch looks like it will address many gripes (including more XP from dungeons).

Its still very early day (2 months now i think), but still very much enjoying it, and looking forward to 50 to kick off HM instances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

Well I decided to log in and queued up for Brayflox, and the group I got beat it the first time, though we wiped once on the end boss. Got a nice hat from the loot. I ended up playing for a few more hours after that, so engaged with the game again.

I also realised that there's no reason I can't just level SMN and SCH simultaneously and thus be able to queue as DPS or healer if I need to- they both use similar equipment and both level at the same time, as they're just ACN jobs. SMN also makes the solo content much easier than trying to main as SCH. So I'm currently taking a break and levelling THM instead for a while to unlock SMN. I will be putting all my points into MND though, so by default I will be better at healing than DPS.

Brayflox is a good place to run a few times and get the nice gear (Battlemage set looks incredible, but took me about 20 runs to complete set :(, also good practice dungeon for more complex mechanics.

I just hit 45 so going for my AF now..... gogogogogo

• Advertisement

Got my first four pieces of BLM AF. I do look pretty bad ass even if I do say so myself..... And the quest is mercifully easy. The horror of running around Garlaige Citadel in FFXI looking for coffers is a distant memory.....

Advertisement