Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the worst accent?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

different variants of the southsider accent really make my skin crawl. think dave young's voice. anyone who says cor or dort and says you know loik. I really want to punch them in the face repeatedly.

I think it may be also the whole southsider culture that makes me hate them also though. Gives Ireland and the irish a bad name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

i hate the derry accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Try being from Galway. Blandest accent of all time. Someone once described it as mid-atlantic and that makes it sound like you're from nowhere in particular at all. Its the cotton wool of accents. I'd kill for a bit of Drogheda twang sometimes.

Yeah, the Galway accent is very... neutral or something. I quite like it though!

But yeah, I can't stand the really strong inner city Dublin accent or the Scouse accent. I used not to like the Australian accent very much, but I love it now, strangely...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

I like the Yorkshire accent cant stand that dortttt accent D4 and the likes of all them young ones with there O i was likeeee talking to Gavin likeeee and omg hesssss soooooooo coooooool what put on crap:mad::mad::mad:

Without a doubt its the Dublin skanger. Makes my skin crawl...
    whot areee ya bleedinnn talkinnnn abottt ya bleedinnn muppetttt. :D:D:D
    Yea i hate it too and iam from Dublin...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Dublin accents, and American/Canadian accents (yes, I know). They're so crass sounding now that I'm not used to hearing them anymore. And most west-coast American ones just sound vapid.. New York and Boston accents are rotten. Just sound offensive by default.

Though I do have a peculiar soft spot for accents from the southern States, particularly the Cajun/Louisiana accent? :confused: No idea where that came out of.

Melange wrote: »
    Surprisingly little mention of the Waterford city accent.

Wellllll booooooyyy....

The Waterford accent is not too bad and the Wexford accent is not bad either...

bbk wrote: »
    Rachel Allen.

O yea i hate her accent it makes me want to throw up id love to stick her head in a pot of tar:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

New York Jew - endless shudders flow down my spine with each word

Met one a few days ago, She sounded like Janice from 'Friends'
    'Oh my GAAAWWWDDD!!! You from ISSSSLAAANNNDD??!!'

Kinda funny since she lived up to the stereotype.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I like most Irish accents. I don't like exaggerated ones though, like when people say they are from the wesshhhht or when young Dublin fella's overdo the tough Dub accent.

From personal observations I notice that most Irish rural (country) and English girls love the Dublin accent. Really seems to turn them on, specially if they are on a night out in Dublin or a hen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Northern Ireland accents make me shudder. Especially when the say the word "now" (Noiew).

Dublin scumbag is also another bad one but that's only cos I have to hear it on a regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭greenmachine88

Boston accent is the coolest accent

northern Ireland accent is depressing to listen to

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

guybague wrote: »
    Carwk

Carlow?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Truley wrote: »
    What do people think of the Sligo accent? :D

I try to avoid it at all costs, its so bland and shhhhligho.

Hate the louth, limerick, tipperary accents! I'm pretty terrible at differentiating accents in the west though, maybe having been in dublin these past three years have done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Cork boyo!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Melange wrote: »
    Surprisingly little mention of the Waterford city accent.

Wellllll booooooyyy....
    So bad. Especially when it's decided that one syllable words now require two.

"Weeyell boyee, givus a faaaayeeeg willya?"

What's worse is Tramore, a lot of people wouldn't have actually ever heard it, but they sound like Dublin scummers and Waterford scummers mixed into one.

Luckily, I was gifted with my family's County Waterford accent, which has proved pretty popular. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

There is something about New Jersey accents that make me cringe. I tend to like the English accent of native Spanish speakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Wherever Eddie Hobbs is from,I can't tell if it's Cork or what,I tend to drift off when listening to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

some dublin accents, some cork accents, the english accent really bugs me, some northern ireland accents, the real yanky accents, some southern USA accents (country and western type really annoys me), sometimes the south african accents can be bad especially if they say 'yaw' for ya/yes. german accent can be difficult to understand and some european accents hard to listen to sometimes. I love the scottish, new york, spanish and italian accents though. I'm from the country but despite that find it hard to listen to the really extream countryish accents sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anthony Walsh

The Banner county has gotten off so far, preparing for an onslaught though.

Two words: Mick McCarthy

Has anybody heard his commentry for the world cup, worse than the vuvuzela

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭GodlessInfidel

I used to think the most hideous accent was the border area one as in Louth/Cavan etc, but having worked in a call centre for a number of years i came to realise that by far the most detestable accent without question comes from the south-east. Parts of Wicklow/Wexford/parts of Waterford. it is so bizarre it sort of reminds me of a devon or corwall accent, definitely has similar traits.'tats quaaair gud'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 t_moore

the north kildare accent leixlip/celbridge maynooth is nice accent like a soft toned down dublin accent but bordering into country.....the south dublin accent is vile from working up there it makes me cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

its a specific Bawstin accent, makes me cringe every time.

i have an everlasting memory of talking to a guy from there and him telling me about his job in the "depaaartme' of homeland sekurety"

ugh, cringe cringe

oddly enough i like the nyc accent, which is quite similiar....maybe its my association to the Bawstin one which is responsible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

a thick (heavy, not stupid) kerry accent. imossible to understand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

The worst accent is Dundalk imo, spend a lot of time up there and it's just awful.

Duuuuunnnnndaawwwwkkkk.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭law86

Mid Leinster. Flah, like de landscape, lad. I can bitch cos it's my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

i hate the co louth accent (drogheda, dundalk etc). impossible to understand, sounds shifty and lazy at the same time.

i have a love / hate relationship with the kerry acccent, on the one hand it's like scraping your nails on a chalkboard, on the other it's absolutely hilarious to listen to :)

mainly though i hate the fake american accent. from being in ucd for [checks watch] 8 years now, i've noticed that it's not actually the "d4 roight roight" people who use it, but more the sci-fi / drama club nerds. the type of accent with over emphasis on the TH, like they call 3 "THHSSree" instead of "tree" like the rest of us.

Actually, any accent which emphasises the TH sound gets me, like some english say "fwee" when saying 3 and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

As a native of county Louth meself,its pretty surprising and shocking to see by the looks of this post that the rest of the country consider us to have the worst accents.I wonder if everyone is just basing it on steve staunton's accent?? I agree that the Drogheda accent is pretty dire but personally don't find the Dundalk and the Ardee/Dunleer one's too bad.

Tbh there's plenty of accents that are bad too, dublin,belfast,north monaghan,midlands.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Boston accent is the coolest accent

northern Ireland accent is depressing to listen to

Hm, for me it's the reverse. I find the Boston accent to be quite grating, and think the nordy accent is cute.

I didn't realize how annoying American accents could be until I moved to Europe. There is something about them that cuts through the air like a knife; the California/"LIKEOHMYGOD" undergrad study abroad accent is particularly annoying. And I'm an American.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The concensus seems to be - someone else's!

Advertisement