Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the worst accent?

Options
  • 03-07-2010 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭

For me it's the Drogheda accent. It's terrible. Absolutely horrible. But so funny. I pity people with that accent. I crack up laughing when I hear it.

Talking to a bloke from "Dwaawwda" yesterday and he saw someone on the TV and goes "Oowh, oi dun loike him, hee wamiynds mee a moy ex, especially de beeawd" - translation - "Oh, I don't like him, he reminds me of my ex, especially the beard" I burst out with laughter. Another time in Mcdonalds, a Drogheda fella working there shouted for more hamburgers "MAW HAMBAWGAWS" and a few people were laughing at him and shouting maw hambawgaws at him...... Hehe. Maw.

Yuck!

So what do you think is the worst accent in Ireland? Or even anywhere else in the world.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Inner city dub or north side cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

As a fellow Draawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwda hater, i agree - doesnt even sound like the english language

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

bleg wrote: »
    Inner city dub

Howya buuuuuud, stoooooory have you a fewww euro. Despicable accent. Dublin accents in general really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

South Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Irish: "Hello"

Ick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

A Hyundi (Accent) don't do it for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭bigwormbundoran

New York Jew - endless shudders flow down my spine with each word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

The "Dorsh" accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Vincent Browne held a competition in 2002 (I think), while he was standing in for Pat Kenny on Radio 1 during Pat's holidays one summer to find the worst accent in Ireland. I believe the winner was the accent from Ardee, Co Louth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

Waterford/Kilkenny (Sorry anyone from there)!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

Dublin teenagers who have a weird fake american accent

Definitely the Dublin accent. Also the Midlands (?) one. I was shocked when I watched an episode Pure Mule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Fago! wrote: »
    For me it's the Drogheda accent. It's terrible. Absolutely horrible. But so funny. I pity people with that accent. I crack up laughing when I hear it.

Talking to a bloke from "Dwaawwda" yesterday and he saw someone on the TV and goes "Oowh, oi dun loike him, hee wamiynds mee a moy ex, especially de beeawd" - translation - "Oh, I don't like him, he reminds me of my ex, especially the beard" I burst out with laughter. Another time in Mcdonalds, a Drogheda fella working there shouted for more hamburgers "MAW HAMBAWGAWS" and a few people were laughing at him and shouting maw hambawgaws at him...... Hehe. Maw.

Yuck!

So what do you think is the worst accent in Ireland? Or even anywhere else in the world.

Ahh Fago. Not another one of these damn threads =P

Agreed on the Drawwwwdeda accent though.

/goes off to start "whats your favourite humming noise" thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

bambera wrote: »
    Dublin teenagers who have a weird fake american accent

It's all put on, so I hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Definitely the Dublin accent. Also the Midlands (?) one. I was shocked when I watched an episode Pure Mule.

Out of curiosity how many Dublin accents do you think there is?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I hate Aussie accents. They sound, I dunno, so forced and drawling. Like they're choking on something...and I have a load of Aussie relatives who would kill me for saying that but its true!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Wade in the Sea

Spanish speaking English. Het sounz horybull I theenk. and all that lisping gets on my knackers!

I like the cork accent from Girls. Very cute. But the lads, sorry you sound like a bunch of turkeys.

NornIron is good too. Whata boutye ;)

D4 is very very annoying. Especially when they say OMG. And I mean they actually say "O M G" :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

D4 - every time I hear it, I die a little inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Wade in the Sea

caseyann wrote: »
    Out of curiosity how many Dublin accents do you think there are?:p

FYP,

well you know in the theme of the thread n'all :D

I take it no one from D4 has found boards.ie as yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Ardee/Dunleer accent. Much worse than the Drogheda accent.

I can't understand what they are saying!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

The duurty dooblin accent

And Jackie Healey-Rae too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Spanish speaking English. Het sounz horybull I theenk. and all that lisping gets on my knackers!

I like the cork accent from Girls. Very cute. But the lads, sorry you sound like a bunch of turkeys.

NornIron is good too. Whata boutye ;)

D4 is very very annoying. Especially when they say OMG. And I mean they actually say "O M G" :mad:

+1 on the cork accent on girls, makes me melt it does. Sexy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Anyone that tries to imitate any accent and does a bad job on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

The male Northie durdle durdle accent

FYP,

well you know in the theme of the thread n'all :D

AH shiat dont ya kno ya only gone and wrecked it :mad::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Has to be Drogheda

Just listen the likes of Steve Staunton as an example, many others from the area have that long drawn out accent

I do like the way they say "bewk" instead of book though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

a thick kerry accent is horrible and you can't hear what they're saying, it doesn't sound like english

i hate welsh accents too

Advertisement