Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the worst accent?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭magicface1

its the cork accent for me to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I think someone was giving out about Miriam O' Callaghan's accent earlier. This is hilarious! I can't post it normally, can somebody tell me how to. Please!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUv8iq9iPr0
    Copy the bit after 'v=' (jUv8iq9iPr0)

Press the youtube button, or type [ YOUTUBE][/ YOUTUBE] without the spaces, and paste 'jUv8iq9iPr0' inbetween the two tags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sugarbeep

Cork or Drogheda

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Been living in the city centre all my life, lost the knacker accent thankfully that alot of the time gets on my nerves...but what's with the "Dublin" accent thing people are hating? Like there is only one or something!

In my area alone (D8), people would have a slight twang in the accent to someone from another part of D8...and with D24 as the highest number, yeah that's alot of differences right there. I just hate the junkie accent (it sounds the same in most big towns as in Dublin), definitely Drawwhheda and have a dislike to a deep Kerry accent, due to not being able to understand them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 guybague

a lot is down to the person. For example, Jean Byrne of Met Eireann is from Kerry. Compare that to bogvuzela Jackie Healey-Rae and relatives. Yuck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

The southside accent does my head in.

Another accent that does my head in is the "im too lazy to even speak" northside accent, as if they're running low on batteries.

Im from the heart of the northside and have been told by a friend (from Arklow of all places) that I have a strong northside accent but there's some northsiders who are almost completely incoherent, even though living in the same area as myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭EverybodyLies

Keithm89 wrote: »

Jaysus. I'm living in Dundalk 14 years and i've no idea what he said. :) Totally agree though, one of the worst accents, alongside that awful Irish accent that people in Hollywood seem to think we speak with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The ooh aah ambrosia accents are horrific.

Belfast accents can be very harsh on ones eardrum also.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jennytightlips

kildare accent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭worded

Scandanavian accents, just from complete jealousy of their uncanny ability to speak better English than the majority of natural English speakers

and ABBA sung and wrote songs in English.
    and they made great natural videos years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Fago! wrote: »
    So what do you think is the worst accent in Ireland? Or even anywhere else in the world.

Dublin Skanger or Cork
    Cant decide which

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

sdonn wrote: »
    Yes but at least we know the plural of the word "you" without having to invent a new word altogether. ;)

Ye is actually the second person plural...it dates back to an older age. Think about lines like "ye of little faith" etc. So when people use it, think of this...Ye=many people, you=single person

The obnoxious south Dublin accent brings me out in a rash. Not everybody there has the horrible accent as some South Dublin accents are nice. But that horrible "roight" accent is an assault on my ears, especially when they try to use Cockney rhyming slang like is used in Ross O'Carroll Kelly (another assault on good taste!).

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

The obnoxious south Dublin accent brings me out in a rash. Not everybody there has the horrible accent as some South Dublin accents are nice. But that horrible "roight" accent is an assault on my ears, especially when they try to use Cockney rhyming slang like is used in Ross O'Carroll Kelly (another assault on good taste!).

Yeah that's defo bad but what i find worse is when you have country folk up in Dublin trying to use it themselves!!!!

Another is this accent i hear on the radio at times which is a mash up of bog/american/jazzy radio voice, where thousand sounds like faisand or cow is kai!!!!!!!!WTF is going on with that?????

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Derry Mucker.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Cork...or just Jackie Healy-Rae

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

Cork and D4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

D4
    Scouse
    Brummie

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Hey , now not all South siders(Dublin) have annoyin accents !!
    I cringe when i hear a cavan accent !
    I love 1 of the dublin accents ! Its not the americanised D4 1 and its not the skanger 1 either im told by mum thats it the traditional "Dubliner" accent !! neway i love dat !
    But what really really annoys me is the americanisation of out country bypre-teens !!! Ughhhhhh i swear ta god , my younger cuzins actually say " Dipers" and " Awsome" thay aer all born and bread in Ireland like !!! It drives me mad and makes me want to punch them ! ****in Hannah montan****e and the "Hills" !! I have a 13year cusin old who basicly thinks she lives in in LA !!! Drives me mad !:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

Locker10a wrote: »
    I love 1 of the dublin accents ! Its not the americanised D4 1 and its not the skanger 1 either im told by mum thats it the traditional "Dubliner" accent !! neway i love dat !
    But what really really annoys me is the americanisation of out country bypre-teens !!! Ughhhhhh i swear ta god , my younger cuzins actually say " Dipers" and " Awsome" thay aer all born and bread in Ireland like !!! It drives me mad and makes me want to punch them ! ****in Hannah montan****e and the "Hills" !! I have a 13year cusin old who basicly thinks she lives in in LA !!! Drives me mad !:mad:

I don't think I have heard any Irish teenager say "awesome" but there is still time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I don't think I have heard any Irish teenager say "awesome" but there is still time.

Ohh i have ! Well he wasent a teenager a child about 7 r 8 ! Needless 2 say his older brother made sure he would speak stoopid american for along time again ! (i have absolutly nothing against americans ):rolleyes::)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Wade in the Sea

Kids copy accents of those they look up to. And they are all watching American TV. I know a kid who came from a good home in Dublin but went off the rails. He went from being a well educated soft spoken kid to speaking fluent scum bag in a matter of weeks. He's sorted himself out and back to normal and so is his accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Kilkenny - pure schnakey.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Wade in the Sea

Oh I just thought of the worst. Way Worse than Hannah, Much worse than Cork and way worsererer than D4

It's that quasi-East End/Jamaican/Ali G/Gansta rappa madeup accent being spoken by kids in England at the moment. I'll take Hannah Montana & (her male equivalent whoever that is) any day over that crap. If I had a kid that spoke like that......:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

Ronnie Whelan's weird dub-scouse mix!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Anything and everything North of the Boarder, Fractured English PsychoBabble heard on the streets of Dublin,Dublin Scumbags,Any and all Yanks,mainly Boston. London,Liverpool and Geordie are among the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

My Dad would have a traditional Dublin accent. Grew up off Mount Street. There is a difference between that accent and the "howareya" brigade. My mother, who grew up in Malahide, says she can see the look of shock on peoples faces when they hear my Dads accent compared to hers. :)

I was at Sutton Dart Station waiting to be collected and there were a group of teenagers with that Hills/faux American accent. It was very strange, ...and annoying.

Loads of people say awesome these days. Not just teenagers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Larianne wrote: »
    My Dad would have a traditional Dublin accent. Grew up off Mount Street. There is a difference between that accent and the "howareya" brigade. My mother, who grew up in Malahide, says she can see the look of shock on peoples faces when they hear my Dads accent compared to hers. :)

I was at Sutton Dart Station waiting to be collected and there were a group of teenagers with that Hills/faux American accent. It was very strange, ...and annoying.

Loads of people say awesome these days. Not just teenagers!

The auld Dub accent is a thing of beauty, the aul 'How are ya son' type. I walked by Ronnie Drew years ago and thats excatly what he said and it was like music with his voice anyway, but it's the old accent that does it. I'm a Mayo man, and for all the slagging we give each other in AH I think we can all appreciate these things. Listen to Dublin City in the Rare Aul Times and it just reminds me of those accents, and I like hitting old men pubs in dublin for the likes of this.

Ok, nearly forgot the purpose of the thread, bad accents, the townie west of ireland accents where the yoke keads talk thrpugh there nose and say 'How are you booooyyy' while fist pumping the air and tripping over their jaws*

*may have done this when younger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

Americans have the worst accent imo.. no offence!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

i have a deep seated hatred of deep kerry and cork accents, I mean jesus like how could you not hate this

oh, and any accent were t's become ch's, for example "oh I mesh you man in the shop", I'm looking at you Kilkenny

Advertisement