Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the worst accent?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Good to see us Scousers are still grating on nerves of the world, with our gargling, nasal tones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭pablo_escobar

annoying accent? people seem easily annoyed over nothing, how traumatising it must be for some to focus on the sound of persons voice instead of what they're saying... good god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Co.Louth accents in general are awful.

Cork accent on a girl is dead cute.

Some working class Dublin accents are pretty dreadful. I grew up in Ballymun and even I have a problem understanding some of my relatives when they get going.

But worse of all, the very baddest of the bad - D4 Dort accents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I'm originally from the wesht, a displaced Galwegian to be more accurate, and when I went back to college - UCD - to upskill in this little recession thingy, I was sure the place was full of Americans from both the loudness and the sheer vacuous - ness of the conversation.

Turns out they're D4's of course but I think some of them are more American than the Americans. Loike:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

SARASON wrote: »
    Isnt the girl out of pure mule or the programme about the restraunt from up there. I love her accent. All she would have to do for me is sit on the bed and keep talkin.;)

She's from south Monaghan. Near Iniskeen I think.
    Big difference between the south Monaghan and North Monaghan accents (to me anyway) The Carrickmacross accent is so much easier on the ear than the Monaghan Town accent.

I'm a blow in to Drogheda, living just outside it for about 5yrs now. From a Dubliner looking in the "drawwda" accent is akin to the inner city Dublin "howiya" accent.
    The "drawwda" accent seems to be spoken by the "townies" who have lived there all their lives and barely leave the place. To most of them it's a big deal to go to Dublin on the bus. They literally pack their passports.

I know a good few people from Drogheda and the outskirts (Clogherhead, Termonfeckin) who were born there but don't have the inbred accent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Liverpool accent. Eg Sporty Spice. Get me a ****ing shotgun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

The English accent in general - hate it

The D4 accent - Get over yourself

The Limerick city "wa" accent - "Love, mere I wancha!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

dannym08 wrote: »
    i have a deep seated hatred of deep kerry and cork accents, I mean jesus like how could you not hate this

You'd want to do some research if you think Cork people talk like this. Maybe down in the deep deep West but this really couldnt be further away from lets say some of the city accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

9 pages in and not a mention of the whest :D

It really is music on the ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Definitely the Dublin accent. Also the Midlands (?) one. I was shocked when I watched an episode Pure Mule.

Oh yeah, because Pure Mule is so representative of the Midlands. I live in Tullamore and there are at least 5 different types of accents, all typical to the area. Some are worse than others though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

The English accent in general - hate it

Erm.. which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

brummytom wrote: »
    Erm.. which one?

Your one :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

It has to be the annoying people from 'down the country' , the way they go on,

I seen' yer wan' last night at the barn
    We were having the craic with the lads after mass
    Ah sure ,lets have a few cans and watch the sunday game on rte(as we only have rte 1 and 2 on our tele)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Rachel Allen.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KillerKity

The Drogheda accent makes me want to puke

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cormac2791

Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

most embarrassing - louth, christ its awful.

but by far, the worst accent in this country is the D4 fake, fraud, up your bottom, snobbish, annoying and punch worthy accent.

to hear people not from the region speak like it then is just appaling, i know 2 girls from cork who have the accent and its just downright wrong. seems a huge part of office life in dublin is based on this horrible trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Try being from Galway. Blandest accent of all time. Someone once described it as mid-atlantic and that makes it sound like you're from nowhere in particular at all. Its the cotton wool of accents. I'd kill for a bit of Drogheda twang sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Leroy Lita

Wicklow accent and the Limerick city accent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

brummytom wrote: »
    Brummy accent. I've had people laugh in my face before purely because of my accent.

Not good
    I was briefly seeing a guy from Birmingham years ago - "It's rynin' atsoide" is not a sexy way of saying "It's raining outside"... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

Without a doubt its the Dublin skanger. Makes my skin crawl...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Irish? Cork makes me want to punch baby jesus

All? Geordie makes me want to give that Cole/Tweedy bint the fist. And not in a good "Vegas" way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 guybague

Carwk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

What do people think of the Sligo accent? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Truley wrote: »
    What do people think of the Sligo accent? :D

I can't actually differntiate between any of the accents in the west, and I'm from there. So yeah, Sligo accents rawks :cool: (mayo better though :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I can't actually differntiate between any of the accents in the west, and I'm from there. So yeah, Sligo accents rawks :cool: (mayo better though :pac:)

Yeah actually really like the Mayo accent but I doubt anyone from outside the North West could actually say what a Mayo accent is :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Irish? Cork makes me want to punch baby jesus
    I personally think it sounds more funny and ridiculous and silly rather than offensive.
    All? Geordie makes me want to give that Cole/Tweedy bint the fist. And not in a good "Vegas" way.
    I quite like that accent actually - I'm one of very few though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

Surprisingly little mention of the Waterford city accent.

Wellllll booooooyyy....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Most if not all accents indigenous to Ireland...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

tolosenc wrote: »
    Most if not all accents indigenous to Ireland...

Most people (abroad) love the Irish accent. But there's no accounting for taste...

Advertisement