Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the worst accent?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Dubstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

The Letterkenny accent has gotten worse in the last few years. I've no idea how visitors understand what is being said.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

CJC999 wrote: »
    Louth is the worst bigger drawl there is by a long shot.QUOTE] Which one,Dundaaaaawk or Draaaaaawda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I wouldn't generalise about Dublin and Cork accents but there are two that do my head in:

Dublin - The particular variety that leads to a completely flat accent that sounds like they don't even bother to use their mouths.
    Cork - There's a whiney accent that is in certain suburban parts of Cork City that would actually curdle milk.

That being said, there are also very pleasant Cork and Dublin accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Belfast - Could anyone understand Paddy Barnes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

preddy wrote: »
    Belfast - Could anyone understand Paddy Barnes?

Yeah, I would have to say that Belfast and Glasgow are the only places I've ever gone in the Ireland and Britain where I was ABSOLUTELY unable to understand people. They might as well have been speaking Dutch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

All strong accents are annoying. Elocution should be compulsory in all schools in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

bambera wrote: »
    Dublin teenagers who have a weird fake american accent

Close Thread.
    Just joking.
    The Canadian accent sometimes gets on my nerves but only when they say certain words. With the huge amount of Canadian actors on TV now, it's worse than ever. They love to "uut" instead of out and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The two Dub extremes are the worst, along with the Cork and Drogheda ones.

Australian accent can be fairly annoying, also.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭marnie d

Maldesu wrote: »
    The Letterkenny accent has gotten worse in the last few years. I've no idea how visitors understand what is being said.

Nothing wrong with the LK accent! Of course visitors have no bother at all understanding everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

Donegal and Derry...yuk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Grayson wrote: »
    Inner city dublin (although let's face it, it's all across dublin now), D4, Cork, Strong midlands (especially Cavan), Cork again.

Anyone remember that vodafone advert where the girl answers the phone to the guy with the cork accent and hangs up? i can't find it anywhere.

You mean the esat one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pensivepuca

Belfast accent wrecks my head every time I hear it! I am from Derry and hate the accent too, but if its a weak accent its not too bad. Caaaaaavan gets on my nerves too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,081 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

My accent is the worst accent.

orignally from donegal, but having lived in Asia and North America over the past 3 years, i've had to slow down and enunciate everything so people could understand me. I didn't realise any difference (although my parents mentioned it last xmas), until I heard a recording of myself on the phone last week. I sound like graeme mcdowell after his balls dropped.

I hate myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Bavaria and Berlin

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

You mean the esat one?

That's it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 _coinin_

I never liked Wexford accents. I don't mind any other accents though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 PearlLedbetter

The Welsh accent is appalling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The worst accent has to be the 'skanger/scumbag Limerick' accent, not the ordinary Limerick accent. You know the one I mean, 'Anthony come here, I want you' is pronounced as 'Ant'ny c'mere I want choux' also the use of the terms gowl, you handicap, bud and sham. Basically I have a pathological hatred of the Limerick skanger/scumbag, not Limerick people.

The worst accent has to be the 'skanger/scumbag Limerick' accent, not the ordinary Limerick accent. You know the one I mean, 'Anthony come here, I want you' is pronounced as 'Ant'ny c'mere I want choux' also the use of the terms gowl, you handicap, bud and sham. Basically I have a pathological hatred of the Limerick skanger/scumbag, not Limerick people.

I heard the 'Ant'ny c'mere' part in Dublin as well. Maybe it was somebody who moved over from Limerick ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Red Star Bellend

Wexford accent is horrendous and very hard to understand.

Drogheda accent is shocking too. "Maaaahs baaaah"

Don't know, if that's typical for a certain reason, but that 'yeez', when you address two or more others is just horrible :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Mullingar. An accent that makes even non pikeys sound like born and raised pikeys.

This by a country mile. Every man, woman and child from here sounds like a gypsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Rasheed wrote: »
    This by a country mile. Every man, woman and child from here sounds like a gypsy.

My granny is from Mullingar and has a southern accent but its nothing like the accent you hear in Mullingar now! Its more like a Meath accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The flah Wicklah accent is pretty grim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Cork , Kerry or anywhere outside the pale :D

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Any accent from the north and I include my own in this. But mostly Belfast ones.

Second is the fake American accents most young ones have adapted these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Cork/Kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Ted!

Boston women.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Newcastle/Geordie BY FAR!!

They reduce me to angry tears!

Advertisement