Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the worst accent?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Another vote for Louth

Theres a nightclub in Dundalk - "Ay Uth"

(Earth)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Another vote for Louth

(Earth)

That's in Drogheda actually. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

I like most accents, but ardee...sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Any North-American accent, whiney Australians, Yorkshire (or any English midlands accents), strong Dutch accents (yesh, yesh), Spanish people and their insufferable lisping, snotty French people who come across as incredibly forced when they talk.

And there's that ****ing Longford accent, 'ara bejaysus, will ya geh may a glassa wahher'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Another vote for Louth

(Earth)
    Made me laugh ....:)
    whiney Australians
    Yeah ,like they have puke in their mouths ...
    strong Dutch accents (yesh, yesh)
    Especially when their spitting it out ..keep yer fooking germs to yourslefs cloggys ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Cork, you just can't take it seriously laike, cos everything sounds laike a question bai.

most Northern ones, rough as fcuk and always sound pissed off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

krudler wrote: »
    Cork, you just can't take it seriously laike, cos everything sounds laike a question bai.

most Northern ones, rough as fcuk and always sound pissed off
    Dayyd on, hi!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Whatever accent Rachael Allen has. Think its termed a "cultured accent".

Holy sh*t she makes me wanna scratch my eyes out.
    I'm a firm believer that the 'cultured' south Dublin accents is NOT made up. I was raised with a South Dublin accent because I was raised in South Dublin (obviously).

She is SO embarassing. She personifies EVERY D4 stereotype. She sounds stupid, NOTHING like geuine people from South Dublin. I mean...who speaks like this?
    Women who speak like her, I want to stress, are a minority. This isn't an accent!! What she has isn't a South Dublin accent! She sounds....ugh. She must be terribly insecure though, to be honest.

Rant over :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TaraFoxglove

Rocket19 wrote: »
    Holy sh*t she makes me wanna scratch my eyes out.
    I'm a firm believer that the 'cultured' south Dublin accents is NOT made up. I was raised with a South Dublin accent because I was raised in South Dublin (obviously).

She is SO embarassing. She personifies EVERY D4 stereotype. She sounds stupid, NOTHING like geuine people from South Dublin. I mean...who speaks like this?
    Women who speak like her, I want to stress, are a minority. This isn't an accent!! What she has isn't a South Dublin accent! She sounds....ugh. She must be terribly insecure though, to be honest.

Rant over :P

Isn't her confused accent down to having an Irish daddy and Icelandic mammy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The only accent that really gets me is a very posh, clipped South African accent.

It's like no matter what they say it sounds condescending and obnoxious even if they're trying to be nice!

It can also apply to certain Australian accents, usually very snooty ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Rocket19

Is that true? lol. If so, I feel kinda bad now. But unless she was raised in Iceland or something, I'm sticking to my guns!

Is that true? lol. If so, I feel kinda bad now. But unless she was raised in Iceland or something, I'm sticking to my guns!

But I don't think of her accent as stereotypical D4, it's very distinct from that. Very clipped. It's more British in a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Her mom's from Iceland, and a former model as far as I am aware.

However, her accent is a combination of South Co. Dublin, Vancouver (where she worked for some time) and a heavy dose of very stuck-up Cork.

Dalkey meets Kinsale with a dose of West-Coast Canada.

To be fair to her though, she seems to go down very well with international audiences. At least she's clear, well spoken and comes across nicely on TV.

Icelandic accents are pretty cool :

Hafdis Huld talking about her new business idea - Icelandic Elf Tourism :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhBqdR1oDyg

She could talk all day! It's a cool accent :D

Bjork explaining the technology behind television : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d4rdat3HdA with a *VERY* strong Icelandic accent quite a long time ago.

She's definitely not quite on the same planet as the rest of us though lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

day-ar is nuttin wrong wit da waherford accent boy! howldd annnn a minute and i go get me blaa wit a few sausajaysus boy!

na the d4 has to be the most irritating accent. a soft speaking donegal lass, now theres a nice accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

There are many people with a mammy and daddy from somewhere else who dont talk like Rachel Allen !! In fairness unless she was raised elsewhere her accent is one of the most pretentious accent I have ever heard .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    There are many people with a mammy and daddy from somewhere else who dont talk like Rachel Allen !! In fairness unless she was raised elsewhere her accent is one of the most pretentious accent I have ever heard .

Her accent isn't D4 though, it's distinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭gerbear1

Being from Dundalk, I would say the Dundalk accent is probably the most horrible in Ireland. People from Kerry I never know what they're saying. The Australian accent really pisses me off. I love the Cork accent on girls. After working with a bunch of South Africans, I really like their accents!

Her accent isn't D4 though, it's distinct.
    Its pretentious put on , seriousely who says oven the way she does !! My kids have one foreign parent and it doesnt change their accent at all .I know lots with one foreign parent and the kids will all have the accent of where they live .
    Darina Allen is posh Dublin meets posh Cork and sounds simply daft

Not as daft as Nadine Coyle did on the Late Late mind you , with her Dery accent and an American twaaangg !!! She made me howl with laughter .,

Its pretentious put on , seriousely who says oven the way she does !! My kids have one foreign parent and it doesnt change their accent at all .I know lots with one foreign parent and the kids will all have the accent of where they live .
    Darina Allen is posh Dublin meets posh Cork and sounds simply daft

Not as daft as Nadine Coyle did on the Late Late mind you , with her Dery accent and an American twaaangg !!! She made me howl with laughter .,

It depends on where the foreign parent is from, I'm sure.

I don't find Nadine's accent ridiculous, she's been in the States for a few years now and it's a strong accent that many pick up easily.

It depends on where the foreign parent is from, I'm sure.

I don't find Nadine's accent ridiculous, she's been in the States for a few years now and it's a strong accent that many pick up easily.
    Only strange in that she denied that she had picked up one when it was quite clear she had

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Cork.Definately Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 20,933 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Latchy wrote: »
    Only strange in that she denied that she had picked up one when it was quite clear she had
    how the divine F** can a person detect their accent changing slightly....you don't notice these things in the short term....

and also nadine is a singer...therfore musical....therefore picks up accents easily...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

gerbear1 wrote: »
    Being from Dundalk, I would say the Dundalk accent is probably the most horrible in Ireland. People from Kerry I never know what they're saying. The Australian accent really pisses me off. I love the Cork accent on girls. After working with a bunch of South Africans, I really like their accents!
    You love the Cork accent?? For real?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

moneygall accent:D

how the divine F** can a person detect their accent changing slightly....you don't notice these things in the short term....

and also nadine is a singer...therfore musical....therefore picks up accents easily...
    Haven't a clue what your on about ...

Of course you notice , you can hear it .

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

terlywerly wrote: »
    Drogheda probably tops the list, but I'm in Sligo for a few weeks and I have to say the accent is terrible!! I don't even know how you would describe it.
    Sorry Sligo people but its pretty bad
    I'm from Sligo and I can tell you it sounds like 'EEEEH... a mix between...eeeeh..bugs bunny and...eeeh... paaap-eye. So don't you...eeeeh...be saaaayin **** about me faaather..eeeeh'

Of course you notice , you can hear it .
    It's simple , isin't it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

Agree with many other posters here. Rachel Allen's fake, snobby, self righteous accent makes me feel sick at the sound of it!

The Cork accent. Also, Eastern Europeans speaking English.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

ratmouse wrote: »
    Agree with many other posters here. Rachel Allen's fake, snobby, self righteous accent makes me feel sick at the sound of it!

The Cork accent. Also, Eastern Europeans speaking English.

"No prublem!"

Advertisement