Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the worst accent?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

George83 wrote: »
    I like the Cork accent.

I like the Cork accent too!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

It's heresy.
    I find it really calming. I love the way they say "yaw loike" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Nation 98

tintin_85 wrote: »
    not a fan of the wexford accent!

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

God the wexford accent is something awful. Hopefully now that a lot of Dubs got priced out of the county down to Wexford it will become extinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Depends how you look at it...
    Now a know a whole host of chronic accents but theres some I can listen to all day for comedic effect...
    There is the "Nart Cark" accent and being that I live in the vicinity try to get used to, cannot.
    The Dublin accent which, on its own, is impossible to decipher when spoke slowly, but at the pace they spew it out, may as well be speaking tongues to me...
    Coming from England I can also say my Lancashire accent back home is pretty dire but all in all,the worst accent I can think of is indeed, the Liverpudliens accent...

I think its the emphasis they put on words and how they feel the need t bellow each one out at the top of their lungs for in to be heard and understood...

Thats my ha'penny on the topic anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Rachel Allens

Basher = Butter to You and I.

Also Ardee, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Rachel Allens

Basher = Butter to You and I.

Also Ardee, Co. Louth

I was just came in here to post the Ardee accent. I can't understand what the fock they are saying. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Cark.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

In Ireland: it has to be the Cork accent it's just SO annoying

Elsewhere: it has to be the Durham accent it's absolutely awful, way worse than portrayed in Billy Elliot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

In Ireland: it has to be the Cork accent it's just SO annoying
    The Cork city accent is what you are referring to ;) outside the city people don't talk with that accent. The Cork city accent is music to my ears compared to the Duuuuuublin city accent ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

The Cork city accent is what you are referring to ;) outside the city people don't talk with that accent. The Cork city accent is music to my ears compared to the Duuuuuublin city accent ;)
    only corkonians think theres a difference.. all the rest of us hear is, "'Right boy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

I like a lot of nordy accents but not so much belfast...
    donegal & monaghan are class..

Don't really like Dublin accents posh or knacker.. really hate that "DUUUURTY" accent on a girl *shudder*....

Don't mind cork as long as they aren't singing too much!

I don't mind most Limerick accent's except maybe the moyross one on a girl!

I LOVE scouse and geordie accents!

A nice london accent on a bird is class...

Welsh valleys accent is cool too (E.g. Rhod gilbert).

I like aussie(except melbourne, where they finish each sentence like they are asking a question :confused:), NZ is ok I guess and south african is really cool. American and Canadian are ok.

Latino accents are cool speaking english..

Has to be either geordie, scouse, donegal or monaghan for me! (on a girl!:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bitter

cazzzzz wrote: »
    Be happy:)

be afraid be very afraid...

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bitter

bazza1 wrote: »
    Jackie Healy-Rae Kerry-ese. Whats that about!

His accent is brutal, Some kerry accents are quite nice on the ear, depends on which part of Kerry I suppose...

Dublin skanger & Cork are the worst followed by Australian,New Zealand,South Africa and California.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

French accent, anytime, but specially when you are watching rugby with french people around you... :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

what's the worst accent?

Micheal Martin's Chinese accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

the Liverpudliens accent...

I think its the emphasis they put on words and how they feel the need t bellow each one out at the top of their lungs for in to be heard and understood.

I've thanked your post only because I agree with the assessment on the Liverpudlian accent with regard to the emphasis they put on words. But I think it's a brilliant accent - in a constant-source-of-amusement kinda way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Has anyone ever heard skanger girls use the word "trun" instead of "throw"? I have heard this being used loads of times on the bus or the luas.A few months back I was getting the luas late one night and heard some skanger say

" He was bleedin trunin eh in teh me ,for bleedin' ages"

Another time

"heooorrr shut yer face or oill trun dis bleedin' rock at yeh"

Disgusting!, Trun? WTF!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I've thanked your post only because I agree with the assessment on the Liverpudlian accent with regard to the emphasis they put on words. But I think it's a brilliant accent - in a constant-source-of-amusement kinda way.

the posh liverpool ladies accents are deadly!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Jamie Caragher on Sky Sports yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Whatever accent Rachael Allen has. Think its termed a "cultured accent".

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blue5

Australian accent wrecks my head - nails on a blackboard. :mad:

Geordie accent, don't know why. :rolleyes:

Kids from well off areas in Dublin speaking like they're from less well off areas, never understood that one. Seemed to be trendy anout 10-15 years ago but they still have the weird accent :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I'm from Dundalk but have largely escaped from having a Dundalk accent. I hate a particular Chinese air hostess that works for Air China, her mangling of the English language grates against my brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Irish wise, i dislike a rural Kildare accent. Its awful. It's beaten only by the working class Limerick City accent, which sounds like a cat being dragged through a car wash. My ears close up when i hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

RichieC wrote: »

Do such creatures exist????:D

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

And this: Van the man's Belfast/American accent has to be one of the worst. Ever. (Starts about 56 seconds in)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

blue5 wrote: »
    Australian accent wrecks my head - nails on a blackboard. :mad:

Geordie accent, don't know why. :rolleyes:

Kids from well off areas in Dublin speaking like they're from less well off areas, never understood that one. Seemed to be trendy anout 10-15 years ago but they still have the weird accent :confused:
    Well its a lot better than the fake west coast US accent alot of them have . Yuck .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

RichieC wrote: »

Just as in Dublin and county Dublin ,there's a great variation of the Liverpool accent which doesn't cover just Liverpool but the whole of Merseyside which comprises Knowsley, St Helens, Sefton, Wirral, and the city of Liverpool and like Dublin , they have their posh areas to , with some very pleasent accents and some horrible ones to ie, the skanger accent .

Not every Liverpudlian talks like Cilla Black with her 'Thur ' ( there ) and some might say comedian John Bishop doesn't speak as heavy as he does IRL as he does on stage .

I've also found that once you travel out to some bordeding towns like St Helens ,Wigan ,Widnes ,Warrington ,the accent is much heavier ,harsher and sometimes mistaking for a Liverpool accent .I agree with ya in that the Liverpool city accent itself is very amusing and Liverpudlians like Dubliners themselfs , are the best at taking the piss out of their own accent .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭purity

World wide accents I think are Australian and American, They are awful. Ireland I would think Mahon in cork or the city in general the norie accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Whatever accent Rachael Allen has. Think its termed a "cultured accent".

Cant pronounce the letter "u" that one

Mustard = Mestard
    Custard - Kestard
    Butter = Better

Advertisement