Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the worst accent?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

The american accent in general is, like, soooo annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Solair wrote: »
    The only accent that really gets me is a very posh, clipped South African accent.

How would you describe a clipped accent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The scouse accent is horrible as is the cavan accent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

a thick kerry accent is horrible and you can't hear what they're saying, it doesn't sound like english

i hate welsh accents too
    ah i love the welsh accent
    but the kerry........i work in a call centre and they are impossible to understand.
    Let's not forget Caaaaaaaaaaavan
    cavan, donegal, ALL of dublin, louth, meath, co westmeath, wexford, limerick citttayyyyyy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

WATERFORD OMG IS THE WORST ACCENT IN THE WHOLE COUNTRY.

then id have to say english.

put a bullet in my skull right now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

Limerick, Kerry and Cork. Inbred sounding. Although bogger accents in general are sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭bayern282

Nasal drawling Dublin skanger accent

Donegal

That bland London/S East accent spoken by Frank Lampard or John Terry, charmless, monotone and renders anything said utterly boring to listen to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Welsh accent on the women is not to bad , it's when the men talk .....yuck and a lot of rural Irish accents are hard on the ears (''give us a drink a watah there horse ,willya '' ) :D

Some Dublin accents shouldn't be heard at all , Belfast is to harsh and in your face , and I laugh at how how Brummies say ''Boybee '' (baby )
    bayern282 wrote: »
    That bland London/S East accent spoken by Frank Lampard or John Terry, charmless, monotone and renders anything said utterly boring to listen to
    Yeah '' Nah wut yah meen moite ''

• Registered Users Posts: 1 yungdung

definitely dublin, it is horrible so common

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

My worst ones are

Estuary English : The type of bland monotone that Glenn Hoddle or Ray Wilkins speak in, generally found in the south eastern corner of England

Donegal

Nasal, whining, slurring working class Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭ManMade

So basically name every city in Ireland but yer own. I hate those fake american accent some girls put on, my French teacher does jesus your from ****in Togher not LA you twat also Ive noticed people from Cork putting on Dublin accents bloody terrible. Also that blonde girl from the 123.ie ad what accent is that. I presume it's trying to make the dub accent sound British because they cover every other accent in that ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

dd972 wrote: »
    Donegal.

:0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Louth and Cavan. Horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Daithi O'Se

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Wexford and D4 sound awful! Especially D4. It just grates my nerves every time I hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

+1 on wexford & the self entitled im so much better than you bogroamers D4 accent, especially because its put on. Ive seen loads of d4s revert to northside esque lingo and tone outside of their niche. Most annoying one I find is the put on high toned one teenage scummers use in the midlands trying to sound hardy and tough, and its kinda raised like youve just insulted them, when really they sound like their jocks are after rising a couple of miles north. PS dont like using the term D4, the accent isnt by any means limited to there, notice it loads in wealthier parts in galway city, and loads of people in D4 are of course lovely and down to earth people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Have you ever worked abroad? You HAVE to calm your accent if you have a thick one, even in English speaking countries. I have a good friend who is a farmer in Clare. He has a very very thick Clare accent and had to concentrate on his pronunciation when he was working on farms abroad, I have to do it, I work with a Scottish girl, she chats on the phone to her Ma and I can't understand her. Everyone has to do it.

This. If you are going to interact with the locals in another country, it helps to speak their lingo. Eventually it rubs off after time. The same with the broadcasting; they encourage you to try to be clear as possible(which, to the BBC, means sounding more English, I guess). I have to enunciate differently in Ireland being originally from Texas. The worst part is ordering on the phone. Half the time they think I'm messin' with them. It's not the best accent, and I catch hell for it on occasion in Ireland(kids seem to love to make fun of it), but it's the only one I got.

There's no Irish accents that grate on me. Some I understand more easily than others. The various Dublin accents were the most difficult to fathom before I became used to hearing them, with the western and southern Irish accents being the easiest for me to understand. I met a gal from Mayo that had what I thought was a very lovely accent. As for media personalities, Claire Flynn sounds very nice on the radio to me for some reason. This even before I saw how lovely she was in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Insp. Harry Callahan

Cityside Derry is the worst most annoying accent I have ever come across-grinding to the extreme!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Cityside Derry is the worst most annoying accent I have ever come across-grinding to the extreme!!
    Cityside Derry gal right here, some reall `pure derry hi` accents are awful, but were not all like that,that Nadine Coyle has alot to answer for - Ive yet to hear anyone else talk like that!!Exaggerated to the extreme!

A Strong Belfast accent grates on me a bit..

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

cork...im from cork but imin dubland for the last couple of years..went home last weekend and couldnt belive how bad the accent is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

I actually love the Cork accent, Cant stand the D4/American one though.. It's like nails on a chalkboard:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

anyone realize why you have a accent ?if you did you may be quite proud of it

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭p.oconnor

The thing with the Cork accent is that there is a massive difference between the Cork city and County accent, there is a big difference between different parts of the city as well. The county accent is split into north, west and east Cork which to me anyway is in a totally different world to the Cork city accent.

What can I say we are fairly distinctive :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I actually love the Cork accent, Cant stand the D4/American one though.. It's like nails on a chalkboard:(

i like the douglas accent but hate the drawwwwn out bandon accent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭purplepanda

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I know lots with one foreign parent and the kids will all have the accent of where they live .
    Darina Allen is posh Dublin meets posh Cork and sounds simply daft

In London a lot of primary school kids have their parents out of town accents until they start to adapt their local hybrid accent / patios. And in the process abandon the English language unless in the presence of teachers ;)

My kids had a welsh accent until around 8-9, most of the school had various hybrid Irish, especially western counties accents, one kid had half russian & irish, another english west country. polish, columbian, nigerian .....:pac:

I still know greek cypriot lads who were born in London & still sound greek, it happens with many communities, Italians, Jewish.

It's easier for certain Irish accents to adapt to be understood better than others, some english people have real trouble with Kerry, Clare & Limerick I've noticed :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Mullingar. An accent that makes even non pikeys sound like born and raised pikeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Dub Ste wrote: »
    Do such creatures exist????:D

They live in the Wirral, the scousers call them woolybacks :D

Sorry, the answer is Cork.

Not everyone's guilty, but in a lot of people it comes across as a mixture of incoherence and self-importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Cork is by far the nicest accent. Louth is the worst bigger drawl there is by a long shot. Like said above, Derry city side accent is pretty horrible with nadine coyle topping the table with the worst 'I want to punch you in the face every time you open your mouth' accent I've heard yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Inner city dublin (although let's face it, it's all across dublin now), D4, Cork, Strong midlands (especially Cavan), Cork again.

Anyone remember that vodafone advert where the girl answers the phone to the guy with the cork accent and hangs up? i can't find it anywhere.

Advertisement