Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alive! magazine and a no junk mail sign.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

squod wrote: »
    A lot of hatred of Catholics being expressed here. How long would this thread last if it was about Gibbs or Essence being pushed through your letterbox. Bigots TBH.

TBH I just think Catholicism and religion in general should be taught in the mythology section of the school curriculum beside Greek and Celtic mythology. Religion class should be replaced with philosophy class. Just my opinion, tbh!

...tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

TBH I just think Catholicism and religion in general should be taught in the mythology section of the school curriculum beside Greek and Celtic mythology. Religion class should be replaced with philosophy class. Just my opinion, tbh!

...tbh.

Is that going to stop junk mail?

Must be worthy of another thread.

davrho wrote: »
    Is that going to stop junk mail?

Must be worthy of another thread.

It'll stop religious junk mail anyway, TBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Stinicker wrote: »
    I don't consider this "Junk Mail"

+1

Damn right. It's not junk mail. It's hate mail!

Homophobic old-school catholic dogma. They back-up the church in regards to child abuse. They have weird views on every topical science subject you can think of. They babble on about the dangers of cohabitation and sex outside of Catholic marriage. They have pages and pages of anti-abortion ads with pictures of, among other things, aborted foetuses. It's disgusting.

Stinicker wrote: »
    we have frredom of religion in this country ;)

Yes, but they do not have freedom to shove homophobic hate-mail through my family's letterbox!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

eightyfish wrote: »
    +1

Damn right. It's not junk mail. It's hate mail!

+1

I wonder what the legal position of reporting this to the guards would be. I'm sure mainstream publications have been reprimanded for alot less homophobia/racism/whatever in the past, so could similar sanctions be persued against Alive!?

Obviously from a practical standpoint, you ring the guards with this and they'll hang up or tell you to stop wasting time.

• Advertisement

Trashbat wrote: »
    I'm sure mainstream publications have been reprimanded for alot less homophobia/racism/whatever in the past

I don't think homophobia is illegal. The people spreading this tripe would just start going on about how their right to express their religious (immoral) beliefs are being infringed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I don't know why everyone is so riled up about it. Sometimes they can be quite humorous in content, whether intentional or not. A notable example being criticising Eamon Gilmore for being a "saucy teenager" due to his indecisiveness (agnosticism).

As far as I am concerned, we live in a free country and they can say whatever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,230 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I don't think homophobia is illegal. The people spreading this tripe would just start going on about how their right to express their religious (immoral) beliefs are being infringed.

That's a it like a company saying that not allowing junk mail is an unfair trade restriction.

i know you're playing Devil's Advocate here, but if they want to print and distribute, then that;s fine. No one's doubting that. But if they wish to do it, then let them stand in the streets ad hand it out, same as everyone else.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

It's not, incitement to hatred would be the legislation most likely to be infringed but I imagine they'll make sure they have their @rses covered in that respect - say they are only (selectively) quoting the bible or they don't hate gays, just gays that want to do anything that would actually make them gay kind of tosh... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Jakkass wrote: »
    As far as I am concerned, we live in a free country and they can say whatever they want.

They can say whatever they want, they just don't have to say it on our doorsteps every week when it's clearly unwelcome.

• Advertisement

Public speech is one thing, injecting their brand of craziness into peoples homes either by private posting or by doorstep harassment in person is something else, I think it should be legislated against.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I'm sure if a atheist magazine was being delivered in simular fashion there would be uproar :rolleyes: . If people want this junk fine, but I agree with others it shouldn't be delivered unless the person agrees to it

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

No i doubt it. And Ickle Magoo covered my thoughts on insightment and is porbably right on their ability to cover themselves with regard to any possible criminal complaint, but what about press code's of practice? I presume as a published periodical distributed publicly they have to be regulated in some way. I know in the UK the press complaints commission have a code of practice that must be adhere'd to and if not certain sanctions can be brought in. Is there something similar in Ireland?

yoyo wrote: »
    I'm sure if a atheist magazine was being delivered in simular fashion there would be uproar :rolleyes:

Not sure about that. It'd be an interesting experiment. Of course- put religious ads on buses and it's an everyday thing. Put atheist ads on buses and Mary Kenny writes in the Indo that you're going to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

They have pages and pages of anti-abortion ads with pictures of, among other things, aborted foetuses. It's disgusting.

Easier to sweep that one under the carpet when you don't have to look at the results isn't it.
    Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    But if they wish to do it, then let them stand in the streets ad hand it out, same as everyone else.

+1. Then again that should be applied to everyone.

prinz wrote: »
    Easier to sweep that one under the carpet when you don't have to look at the results isn't it.

Being pro-life does not justify posting pictures like that through the letterboxes of families with children!

That's an absolutely ridiculous statement, who said anything about sweeping it under the carpet? People surely have the right not to have pictures of anything gory or inappropriate for young kids posted through their letterbox? Lots of non-catholics aren't pro abortion. If there was leaflets with pictures of procreating or masturbating put through your letterbox by some group pushing for more open sexuality, you'd be grand with that? Sure, we wouldn't want to brush it under the carpet. :rolleyes:

I'm sure if a atheist magazine was being delivered in simular fashion there would be uproar :rolleyes: . If people want this junk fine, but I agree with others it shouldn't be delivered unless the person agrees to it

I can't say I would have all that much issue with sceptics / humanists / atheists / agnostics putting a newspaper through the door. I'd probably even give it a read.

If you think about it, such a reaction is probably what these writers expect from people who receive it. Perhaps I'm a bit too blasé about it, but I don't consider it all that big a deal. Perhaps if their publication even puts a smile on peoples faces, and if it does that it is of limited value.

Otherwise it's just a case of putting it into the recycle bin and wait until the next issue. Life is too short to be making mountains out of molehills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

...tbh.

Youre just an anti- morrigan bigot! ill get the dagda after you to beat you to death with his massive holy wang

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

what would an athiest paper even look like. a normal paper perhaps?

• Advertisement

There are a few atheist / humanist magazines. Such as New Humanist (UK), Skeptics Magazine (US), The Humanist (US). In fairness, they produce interesting articles, even if many would disagree with them.

Youre just an anti- morrigan bigot! ill get the dagda after you to beat you to death with his massive holy wang

Dagda, pfft, amateur. I'll have Zeus on my side to send a lightning bolt up your arse.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I can't say I would have all that much issue with sceptics / humanists / atheists / agnostics putting a newspaper through the door. I'd probably even give it a read.

If you think about it, such a reaction is probably what these writers expect from people who receive it. Perhaps I'm a bit too blasé about it, but I don't consider it all that big a deal. Perhaps if their publication even puts a smile on peoples faces, and if it does that it is of limited value.

Otherwise it's just a case of putting it into the recycle bin and wait until the next issue. Life is too short to be making mountains out of molehills.

Fair point, but I'm sure many religious people in Ireland would have an issiue, look as pointed out the medias reaction when there was going to be atheist ads on the buses! (Was that dis-allowed here after the uproar?)

I suppose you could have a paper that promotes atheism by showing all the bad parts of religion that go on, the peodiphile priests, the cults, suicide bombers etc.. Not saying I would agree to such a publication, as it would be as useless as this christian one appears to be, if gay people get this rag delivered to them, its hatred and offensive, and I don't belive that to be acceptable, nor would atheists or people of different religions want to be getting this junk also

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Being pro-life does not justify posting pictures like that through the letterboxes of families with children!
    That's an absolutely ridiculous statement, who said anything about sweeping it under the carpet? People surely have the right not to have pictures of anything gory or inappropriate for young kids posted through their letterbox?

Like I said it shouldn't be put through people's doors without them requesting it. It's a rag, that has little to do with Catholics tbh. I just find it hilarious the amount of people who are pro-choice and then turn around and cry foul about the realities of it. In general like, no one in particular here.

Perhaps if their publication even puts a smile on peoples faces, and if it does that it is of limited value.

What if I wrote in my magazine that interracial marriage was “contrary to God’s plan for sexual love”. What if I said that any registrar, photographer, B&B owner or professional who refuses to provide their services to a mixed-race couple should be protected because this is their religious belief? What if I posted that trash through your letterbox? Would that put a smile on your face?

If the answer is no, you can see why people who believe in equal rights for all are offended by this newspaper.

I just find it hilarious the amount of people who are pro-choice and then turn around and cry foul about the realities of it.

I take your point, but we're talking about this stuff as junk mail. They can hand out whatever they want on the streets.

Like I said it shouldn't be put through people's doors without them requesting it. It's a rag, that has little to do with Catholics tbh. I just find it hilarious the amount of people who are pro-choice and then turn around and cry foul about the realities of it. In general like, no one in particular here.

Lots of people are pro-organ donation, should they have to watch transplant operations? The anti-abortion lobby has some of the most warped logic out there... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

As has been mentioned it's all about the self importance of those posting, and their perception of what their mail is. 'Junk' mail is not their mail, they have something good and wholesome to tell you so it's not like a pizza takeaway now is it?

Change your sign to read "No Unsolicited Mail - that means if it dosent have my address printed on it then don't leave it"
    Mind you, one cheeky 'tard delivering takeaway menus did scribble my address on the flyer.

Or just stab them with a fork. That might be better as the deliverers might not be literate.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Fair point, but I'm sure many religious people in Ireland would have an issiue, look as pointed out the medias reaction when there was going to be atheist ads on the buses! (Was that dis-allowed here after the uproar?)

True, but I have noticed on numerous Dublin Bus routes that there are adverts with Biblical quotes from evangelical Christian groups on the inside of the buses.

I can't say I would be that offended, sure it is a useful talking point to be able to talk about belief and faith, something that people often cower away from in public in Irish society.

Indeed, in the UK many churches praised Ariane Sherine, the NSS, and Richard Dawkins for putting the ads up, and I think a Methodist church even donated to it.

• Advertisement

OldGoat wrote: »
    Mind you, one cheeky 'tard delivering takeaway menus did scribble my address on the flyer.

*LOL* That delivery-boy deserves a prize.

Advertisement