Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

BenEadir wrote: »
    Bear,

What do you mean by the "links in your signature"? I can't see any links beneath your posts.

Am I being a complete dope???

Ben

Sounds like you have signatures turned off. Can you see anything at the end of anyone's posts? If not you need to head over to your user CP and enable them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Gods Toy,

Thanks, didn't even know those options existed!

Sorted now.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Getting between 19xx and 21xx in quadrant after oclf and z4root. On 2.1. Getting about 24 or so hours with lots of usage. Does 2.2 make a big jump in battery life ?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭kennethk

anywhere i can get someone (who knows what they are doing) to update my galaxy?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

My bad Ben, didn't even know you can turn off the signatures.

@Ste- jaysus 2000+ in quadrant and 24hrs battery is really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

My bad Ben, didn't even know you can turn off the signatures.

@Ste- jaysus 2000+ in quadrant and 24hrs battery is really good.

Flashed JPY last night, 17 hours since unplugged and there's roughly 25% left.

Did a hard reset before I flashed 2.2.1 and I'm sorely tempted to flash Darkys ROM 7.7 before I've gotten around to putting everything back the way it was.

Have any experience of it? It looks incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Flashed JPY last night, 17 hours since unplugged and there's roughly 25% left.

Did a hard reset before I flashed 2.2.1 and I'm sorely tempted to flash Darkys ROM 7.7 before I've gotten around to putting everything back the way it was.

Have any experience of it? It looks incredible.

Tried flashing to it last night.
    found it nearly impossible!
    Some problem saying the sd card wouldn't mount?

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Some_randomer

kennethk wrote: »
    anywhere i can get someone (who knows what they are doing) to update my galaxy?? :confused:

If you mean install Froyo here's what I followed:

http://forum.vodafone.ie/index.php?/topic/5746-samsung-galaxy-s-22-update-now-available-on-vodafone-ie/

Gucky wrote: »
    Tried flashing to it last night.
    found it nearly impossible!
    Some problem saying the sd card wouldn't mount?

Anyone?

Did you install the custom kernel?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=788108

Lads, I'm still fairly happy with 2.2.1 at the moment. But I'd be interested in trying our Darky's ROM. Can anyone that's installed it, tell us what they think?

• Advertisement

Installed it last night. Pretty impressed so far but looks like I'm gonna have to refresh the battery stats. Will post a more detailed review when I get a chance.

Seems very quick and smooth even without voodoo enabled. Running v7.7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Lads, I'm still fairly happy with 2.2.1 at the moment. But I'd be interested in trying our Darky's ROM. Can anyone that's installed it, tell us what they think?

i installed it at the weekend with my heart in my mouth in case anything would go wrong.it was no problem at all and im not very tech minded.the rom itself is very fast and no lags.im extremely pleased with it.it deletes your apps and messages but not your contacts.as is recommended id install the wipe one that is like a fresh install.overall its very good and very fast.
    anymore questions feel free to ask.

Cheers lads. I'll give it another few days to make sure yee have no problems before I give it a go. crazygeryy, how's your battery life?

Cheers lads. I'll give it another few days to make sure yee have no problems before I give it a go. crazygeryy, how's your battery life?

its better thats for sure.granted i wasnt using it a whole lot(but enough) but i plugged in the charger last night after about 40 hours.its definitely better than it was with stock installed.
    i did the whole recovery 2e thing as well.but that worked out very easy as well.

Installed it last night. Pretty impressed so far but looks like I'm gonna have to refresh the battery stats. Will post a more detailed review when I get a chance.

Seems very quick and smooth even without voodoo enabled. Running v7.7.

Installed today lads, so far very very impressed! (v7.8)
    Rowley, where is voodoo installed on phone, cant find any options for it.

Cheers

Edit, sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭fransdev

Found this on the internet, couldn't find it yet to try it out but looks promissing

http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-kies-air-adds-wireless-sync-access-to-galaxy-s-20110103/

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭James G

fransdev wrote: »
    Found this on the internet, couldn't find it yet to try it out but looks promissing

http://androidcommunity.com/samsung-kies-air-adds-wireless-sync-access-to-galaxy-s-20110103/
    I just tried it out. Sets up lighttpd on the phone and lets you connect to it through your web browser.

Oq0dql.jpg

Gucky wrote: »
    Installed today lads, so far very very impressed! (v7.8)
    Rowley, where is voodoo installed on phone, cant find any options for it.

Cheers

Edit, sorted!

7.8? I'm already off the pace!

How did you get voodoo going in the end? What do you think of the rom in general?

I'm pretty impressed and can receive MMS for the first time since I left 2.1!

7.8? I'm already off the pace!

How did you get voodoo going in the end? What do you think of the rom in general?

I'm pretty impressed and can receive MMS for the first time since I left 2.1!

I just googled 'darkys rom' and 7.8 is what came up for me on xda's site, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=814091

Got voodoo activated easily enough, apparently its deactivated by default, and there will be a folder on the sd card called disable voodoo, you simply have to go

to my files, sd card, then delete the disable voodoo just to activate it!

I'm very very VERY impressed with the rom so far. Like you, I had difficulty sending and receiving mms, (i deleted my apn setting though) font know how, but this rom had all the correct settings for 3 Ireland pre-installed!

Honest to God opinion, this its like running a brand new mobile now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Gucky,

I must have nearly 100 apps installed on my stock 2.2 JPA which is rooted and running OCLF so I can't figure out what's so great about Darky's ROM that's worth losing all your messages and apps etc for.

Do you also lose the Samsung Sense features if you switch to Darky's ROM?

I'm up for trying a new whizzo ROM but I just can't see the compelling reason when I'm happy with my existing performance.

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

BenEadir wrote: »
    ....I can't figure out what's so great about Darky's ROM that's worth losing all your messages and apps etc for.

Do you also lose the Samsung Sense features if you switch to Darky's ROM?

I'm up for trying a new whizzo ROM but I just can't see the compelling reason when I'm happy with my existing performance.

Ben

1. Well, if you're happy with your existing performance, then you have no reason to change.

2. I think you mean Samsung Touchwiz. You retain that. (Sense is HTC).
    You get Launcher and LauncherPro as options to Touchwiz.

3. You don't have to lose your messages and apps. Go to market and get SMS Backup and Titanium Backup (Pro is best). Alternatively go with the no wipe version.

I installed this ROM and while its faster and smoother, I am getting more force closes and freezes. I have to do more resets/battery pulls. At least one app - AK Notepad - doesn't like it too much. Battery, is definitely not as good as it was before. One app randomly reset last night - Podtrapper - it went to look like an "as new" install without the previously downloaded podcasts. I restored the app and data with Titanium but it was an annoyance to have to do that. And now I am wondering how often this will happen.

I went for the no-wipe option. Maybe I should go back and redo it with the wipe option.

There are a few by products that are good - eg "boot to recovery" is now an option on the close menu.

Overall, I am reasonably happy with it but not ecstatic. If I knew then what I know now, I may not have bothered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I installed gosms recently which im liking alot, but now whenever i get a text.. I get the notification from gosms and i get a notification from the standard messaging on the phone so even if I read the text using gosms.. i have to go and read it again in messaging for the notification in the status bar to dissapear

is there any way to disable messaging, or just stop it sending notifications and rely totally on gosms?

1. Well, if you're happy with your existing performance, then you have no reason to change.

3. You don't have to lose your messages and apps. Go to market and get SMS Backup and Titanium Backup (Pro is best). Alternatively go with the no wipe version.

I installed this ROM and while its faster and smoother, I am getting more force closes and freezes. I have to do more resets/battery pulls. At least one app - AK Notepad - doesn't like it too much. Battery, is definitely not as good as it was before. One app randomly reset last night - Podtrapper - it went to look like an "as new" install without the previously downloaded podcasts. I restored the app and data with Titanium but it was an annoyance to have to do that. And now I am wondering how often this will happen.

I went for the no-wipe option. Maybe I should go back and redo it with the wipe option.

There are a few by products that are good - eg "boot to recovery" is now an option on the close menu.

Overall, I am reasonably happy with it but not ecstatic. If I knew then what I know now, I may not have bothered.

when i did it i had nothing i really wanted to save and not a lot of apps.i just havent gotten around to putting loads on.i backed up my contacts through kies and off i went.but it is recommended that you do the wipe version of the rom.then its a clean start and there wont be as many glitches.

in my opinion(and remember its just my opinion :) ) i think you ll get just as much force closes and freezes using stock as you will darkys.darkys is faster thats for sure and i think its better than stock by far.as for battery life i think its round about the same but im open to debate on that.

but the main reason i did it at all and i think this its why lots of people do it :BECAUSE WE CAN lol and i like a challenge.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    in my opinion(and remember its just my opinion :) ) i think you ll get just as much force closes and freezes using stock as you will darkys.

I wasn't getting force closes or freezes until I switched to Darky's.

As for battery life i think its round about the same but im open to debate on that.

I was comfortably getting a day from a full charge before Darky's, now I have to top up the battery at some point during the day to make sure the phone lasts the day.

I have done all the recommendations re wiping battery stats and fully discharging/charging but no change.

I may go for 8.0 with a wipe and see if wiping the phone makes a difference

I wasn't getting force closes or freezes until I switched to Darky's.

I was comfortably getting a day from a full charge before Darky's, now I have to top up the battery at some point during the day to make sure the phone lasts the day.

I have done all the recommendations re wiping battery stats and fully discharging/charging but no change.

I may go for 8.0 with a wipe and see if wiping the phone makes a difference

id like to know what you think of 8.0.im just after going to 7 i dont know if i want to change again so soon.

just out of curiosity can you go back to the original stock if you want to as in the first day you bought it?

just out of curiosity can you go back to the original stock if you want to as in the first day you bought it?

I think if you do a full system + apps backup with Titanium you can then restore to that.

I also think that ROM Manager allows you take an image of your phone which you could also restore.

And finally, it seems to be possible to get copies of an original firmware from some site (I think it was samsfirmware) and install that using odin.

I cannot vouch for all of of these - I am just regurgitating what I picked up on my browses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Is there a good music manager for dealing with my new galaxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Just upgraded to 2.2
    Waste of time.
    Very slow to do the most basic tasks.

Typing a text message now has regular pauses of a few seconds.
    Exiting out of application the same delay.

I'd avoid like the plague.

mathie, did you try a factory reset? You'll lose all your data/apps.

I found 2.2 much better than 2.1

2.2.1 is better again. Although I might try Darky's ROM soon as discussed by the guys above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭budgemook

mathie, did you try a factory reset? You'll lose all your data/apps.

I found 2.2 much better than 2.1

2.2.1 is better again. Although I might try Darky's ROM soon as discussed by the guys above.

I've asked you about 2.2.1 before Bear, just a couple of questions:

1: I believe I just need to change my product code and update through Kies, is that right?
    2: Will I lose my contacts / messages / apps if I upgrade? I just spend ages joining up my gmail, facebook and phone contacts so don't want to have to do it all again (though I have them backed up as a vcard and saved in gmail).
    3: The reason I want to move up is, although the main functions of the phone are better / faster, some apps like the built in email, yahoo mail and facebook have become worse than when on 2.1 - Have you had problems with these apps and are they working better on 2.2.1?

Advertisement