Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Are you using the Skype client or the 3Ireland Skype client?

Only the 3Ireland Skype client has video support.
    Also, I couldn't get the 3Ireland version to show video until the other person upgraded their Skype version (windows OS).
    SucCes09 wrote: »
    Upgraded my SGS to 2.2 yesterday, and got Skype working for the call part of the service, but can't get the video part to display - either to or from my phone.

Could this be a broadband capacity issue rather than an issue with my install?

Definitely a speed improvement. Full contacts A-Z list. Browser is snappier. Bug fixes. I'm sure there's more!

Is it worth it? Yes and no. You have OCLF installed, I doubt you'll see any real speed improvement.

I'm just thankful Samsung seems to be actively realeasing updates!
    BenEadir wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've got the official 2.2 JPA which I then rooted (z4root) and installed OCLF.

Is it worth unrooting and uninstalling OCLF in order to get the latest JPY firmware? What are the main benefits?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭An.Duine.Eile

This is the second time I have gotten this. Last time I cleared cache, then uninstalled big apps. I even moved photos etc to the sd card. None worked. I then did a factory reset which did sort the problem. I have not installed than much since but can't see where the space is gone.

The storage is showing Program 1.72GB / 1.87GB.

When I added up the packages I barely get 20 MB.

Can anyone explain what is using the space on the phone, and how I can fix this without a factory reset.

Thanks

What version of android are you on?
    Is your phone rooted?
    If you connect your phone as a Mass Storage Device, how how much is it showing?
    This is the second time I have gotten this. Last time I cleared cache, then uninstalled big apps. I even moved photos etc to the sd card. None worked. I then did a factory reset which did sort the problem. I have not installed than much since but can't see where the space is gone.

The storage is showing Program 1.72GB / 1.87GB.

When I added up the packages I barely get 20 MB.

Can anyone explain what is using the space on the phone, and how I can fix this without a factory reset.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

hi guys
    hope you can help.the gmail on my galaxy works fine it syncs and i can get emails etc
    but when i go to send one how do i find my contacts?as in the list of email addresses that i can choose from.i begin to type the address of one person and it finishes it for me and i can send to that person.but that doesnt work for any other email address.

any ideas?i hope im explaining it properly.

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭fransdev

Hi did you put in a mail address for your contacts? and you have to put in two letters to get the addresses from your list. And also sync your contacts.

• Advertisement

as far as im aware my contacts are synced.that box is ticked in settings.

and do you mean did i put an email beside their phone numbers?as in saved in contacts?no i didnt if that is the question your asking.

and like i said i type in 2 letters and only one address comes up all the time.well the letters of that person.ive tried all of them.

STOP EVERYTHING lol i tried it again there and it worked.i synced them earlier it must take awhile for it to work.
    sorry but thankyou for replying fransdev.your as good lol

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭An.Duine.Eile

I am using 2.2, not rooted and upgraded without issue using kies. Only loaded programs available on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

For eg/ my SGS I9000 had a GPS unit but it wouldn't work at all, the Froyo update "unlocked" it, but the official Froyo update also gave me more lag, more force closes, and took away multitasking (each app is automatically closed when you hit the Home button!!!!).

hey was just browsing through XDA and found this :) was wondering is that true? or some one confused? :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Lads, anyway of stopping the phone converting long SMS messages into an MMS? O2 etc. charge for MMS on most plans, but SMS are often free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭budgemook

Hi,

Has anyone got RTE player working well? I'm on the 2.2 update from Kies.

Also, my phone has gone fairly laggy in the last while, the email application is very bad and it used to be excellent. Is voodoo lag fix the best way to solve problems like this? Is there any problem using that and could someone post me a link of how to install it?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Lads, anyway of stopping the phone converting long SMS messages into an MMS? O2 etc. charge for MMS on most plans, but SMS are often free.

Doesn't happen me. On vodafone. How long are the messages?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

budgemook wrote: »
    Doesn't happen me. On vodafone. How long are the messages?

Text messages that are over 3 segments, according to other online reports. But yeah, iv noticed long messages are sent as an MMS.

@budgemook, give 2.2.1 a go. Very snappy.
    You'll have to use the registry hack though. Make sure you undo any lag fix.

@sully, my sms are converted to MMS after 3 segments (i.e 4+ segments). From reading on XDA, it appears to be an android 'feature'. You'll have to use a third party app like handcent or chomp.

@An.Duine.Eile, have you tried a third party resource/memory app to see if there are any hidden files hogging all your memory?

evolutionqy7. My GPS was working fine on froyo 2.2 and now 2.2.1
    I read that a lot of the force closes can be fixed after you do a factory reset (after upgrading to froyo). You'll lose all your apps/data but it can be well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

Sully wrote: »
    Text messages that are over 3 segments, according to other online reports. But yeah, iv noticed long messages are sent as an MMS.

Ive got a similiar prolem..except, if im sending a txt message to a group, it sends as a mms instaead of an sms.

Like others here, im on Vodafone and have free sms, but get charged for mms.

pretty annoying. anyone know how to resolve this?

@budgemook, give 2.2.1 a go. Very snappy.
    You'll have to use the registry hack though. Make sure you undo any lag fix.

@sully, my sms are converted to MMS after 3 segments (i.e 4+ segments). From reading on XDA, it appears to be an android 'feature'. You'll have to use a third party app like handcent or chomp.

@An.Duine.Eile, have you tried a third party resource/memory app to see if there are any hidden files hogging all your memory?

evolutionqy7. My GPS was working fine on froyo 2.2 and now 2.2.1
    I read that a lot of the force closes can be fixed after you do a factory reset (after upgrading to froyo). You'll lose all your apps/data but it can be well worth it.

Thanks, have you a link?

In my signature. Read the thread/posts it links to, and be aware what it changes on the phone (i.e. your product code to whatever you select in the patcher).
    budgemook wrote: »
    Thanks, have you a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Anyone notice the battery going quickly ?
    I have turned down the brightness to 0% but i find some apps turning it back up ? I have a widget installed for quick access to turn it back down.
    I also have tasker installed and set to open APNdroid upon connection so the internet doesn't connect when not needed. But i still find the battery going down quickly when I'm online.

can you send your phone to samsung to fix the 3 button download/recovery mode feature?
    or has anyone an easy guide to fixing it?

or has anyone bought the Download mode USB Dongle Jig?

cheers

ps are there many of you that the download mode doesnt work for?i got my phone from vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

when can i update emy sgs to 2.3h ?

also i get 3 delivery reports when i send 1 message why is this ?

What version are you on Ste?
    Ste- wrote: »
    I have turned down the brightness to 0% but i find some apps turning it back up ? I have a widget installed for quick access to turn it back down.
    I also have tasker installed and set to open APNdroid upon connection so the internet doesn't connect when not needed. But i still find the battery going down quickly when I'm online.

• Advertisement

i fixed the 3 button combo problem for those of you that are interested.

this is on xda by a guy called Richthofen i hope its ok to reprint it here.

Preparations: Make sure you have the drivers installed (i.e Kies is recognizing the phone), adb available and "USB Debugging" turned on in "Settings -> Applications -> Development" menu. Type *#0228# in the dialer and check Voltage value (without USB plugged in) is atleast 3800(mV).

1. Unplug the phone from the computer (if connected)
    2. Kill all Kies related software (tray agent, etc)
    3. Start Odin3 v1.3 Downloader
    4. Plug in the phone to the computer
    5. Start a new command prompt and navigate to the folder / drive where adb is located.
    If you haven´t downloaded adb yet, get it here.
    6. Type "adb reboot download" to the command prompt and press enter.
    7. Move to Odin3 v1.3 downloader and select the "Aries_P-SBL.tar.md5" as PDA file. Make sure "Phone Bootloader Update" is ticked and re-partition is unticked. Do not select any other files but "Aries_P-SBL.tar.md5".
    8. Press "Start" button to launch the update process. It will take around three seconds to complete. After the update phone will reboot automatically.

Download the fix: GT-I9000_P-SBL_RCVDL_FIX_ODIN.7z

and i now have download mode.if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

What version are you on Ste?

I installed the z4 mod then one click lag fix. Phone flying now and getting great scores on quadrant. Better than the 850 I got from stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

how quickly?

I'm getting a score of between 1200 - 1250 on stock 2.2.1
    Getting close to 36 hours on medium usage.

Keep meaning to reset my battery stats - I still haven't since moving to 2.2.1

Check the link in my sig about refreshing battery stats. Although I'm not sure if it works on 2.1 (I'd have to read through it again)
    I installed the z4 mod then one click lag fix. Phone flying now and getting great scores on quadrant. Better than the 850 I got from stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I'm getting a score of between 1200 - 1250 on stock 2.2.1
    Getting close to 36 hours on medium usage.

Keep meaning to reset my battery stats - I still haven't since moving to 2.2.1

Check the link in my sig about refreshing battery stats. Although I'm not sure if it works on 2.1 (I'd have to read through it again)

36 hours??? wtf!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

I have one niggle with my SGS.
    My messages fail to send sometimes. I can't really see any pattern to how or why they're failing. I've a good signal when they fail to send.
    I know it definitely happens when I try send a few messages in a row and quickly - if that makes sense.

Is there any sort of log on the phone that might indicate why the messages fail? (ala Event Viewer in Windows)

Btw, I've always had this problem. From 2.1 to 2.2.1

I too have this problem, and have always had it.

Its incredibly annoying because it happens ridiculously frequently and it often requires a reboot of my SGS to resolve. Without fail it seems to happens me if I send two or more texts in quick succession. Never had this problem with my old handset, or with any other handset on any other Irish network.

I'm on 3.

Haven't found a solution to it yet though

Ya a few people have said that to me now. I'll test it again over the weekend.

How long are people getting on average? Can you mention what version of android you're on as well.

I've flashed a good few of the beta and official ROMs. Some were terrible and I was only getting 6 hours out of them. JPY seems to be very good.
    36 hours??? wtf!!?

I still have this problem - it's a bit of a pain alright.

I've just installed Handcent SMS today. I'm going to give it a go for a few days.
    eorpach wrote: »
    I too have this problem, and have always had it.

Its incredibly annoying because it happens ridiculously frequently and it often requires a reboot of my SGS to resolve. Without fail it seems to happens me if I send two or more texts in quick succession. Never had this problem with my old handset, or with any other handset on any other Irish network.

I'm on 3.

Haven't found a solution to it yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

I still have this problem - it's a bit of a pain alright.

I've just installed Handcent SMS today. I'm going to give it a go for a few days.

I generally use Handcent for my SMSs - but it doesn't make any difference. The sending-failure problem persists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Bear,

What do you mean by the "links in your signature"? I can't see any links beneath your posts.

Am I being a complete dope???

Ben

Advertisement