Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

happy_73 wrote: »
    Went to 2.2.1 last night, everything went fine except that after doing a restore of the APN settings I still can't get 3G network access - any ideas?

thanks
    S

Did APN backup & Restore restore the settings ok or complain it couldn't find them ?

you could always do it oldskool adn take the settigns from the sticky.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055516939

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Old school as Ste suggests, or try the Samsung APN config page and get them sent directly to your phone (they don't always work straight away - they might need tweaking)
    Link: Samsung APN configs
    happy_73 wrote: »
    Went to 2.2.1 last night, everything went fine except that after doing a restore of the APN settings I still can't get 3G network access - any ideas?

thanks
    S

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭happy_73

Old school as Ste suggests, or try the Samsung APN config page and get them sent directly to your phone (they don't always work straight away - they might need tweaking)
    Link: Samsung APN configs

I had those config messages from before when I installed a different ROM, after installing again I've still got the same problem.

S

update - just went to the Samsung APN configs page and sent them to myself again, after installing and turning packet data back on, 3G access is back... happy camper.
    On 2.2 with OCLF I was getting about 1800 on quadrant, now getting 1200. Bit early to tell if battery life is better.

S

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Heroditas

budgemook wrote: »
    Mine is a bit laggy on 2.2 also. I said earlier that I factory reset right before upgrading but not after. Do you think a factory reset will help with that? It's mainly the email app i'm having problems with

You need to do the factory reset after the firmware upgrade.
    I'm amazed at how much better my phone is working since I did it - everything is smoother and faster with no lag.
    Also, the battery life seems to be improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭budgemook

Heroditas wrote: »
    You need to do the factory reset after the firmware upgrade.
    I'm amazed at how much better my phone is working since I did it - everything is smoother and faster with no lag.
    Also, the battery life seems to be improved.

Mine is flying along now with Voodoo lag fix installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Eugh, my battery is still the stumbling block of my SGS.

Running Darkys v8. Did the battery stats fix and seeing no improvement. Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Mine aswell and that's linked to the screen just checked and it's using most of the battery stats. for some reason at 86 % ?
    I have brightness all the way down and screen filter at 40% aswell so it's very dark but still. I am using it less than I would have at Christmas so it's lasting a bit longer.
    Fully charged it yesterday and am just coming down to 50% now. after medium usage. Not as bad as before mind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Just this minute got a Galaxy s. I want to update to Froyo straight away (and gingerbread next week) as its on Eclair. Can someone instruct Me, its not my first android fone so I'm not a n00b

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Just this minute got a Galaxy s. I want to update to Froyo straight away (and gingerbread next week) as its on Eclair. Can someone instruct Me, its not my first android fone so I'm not a n00b

Launch Kies, Plug in your phone, Hit upgrade firmware.

Chances are that wont work but it should do.

Launch Kies, Plug in your phone, Hit upgrade firmware.

Chances are that wont work but it should do.

Doesn't work, I plug it in, it says Kies is connecting but the pc says device driver is wrong. Tried on 32bit pc as well to see if it was a 64bit prob, same thing

• Advertisement

Doesn't work, I plug it in, it says Kies is connecting but the pc says device driver is wrong. Tried on 32bit pc as well to see if it was a 64bit prob, same thing

Try download and install the drivers from here:

Ok, they installed ok, Well I don't get the device failed warning. But Kies is just stuck on a loop saying connecting hit home to quit. What I do now?

Ok, they installed ok, Well I don't get the device failed warning. But Kies is just stuck on a loop saying connecting hit home to quit. What I do now?

That's on the device I take it?

Is the Kies screen on the device opening and closing all the time?

Nope, just says connected and does nothing except light the white dots left to right. screen goes blank after 15 secs with the screenlock

I've set it to light display when charging now, it just stays that way.

I had a similar problem when upgrading. It was something to do with files with an extension greater than 16 characters. There was a link to fix this earlier in the thread but the fix didn't work for me, in the end I did a factory reset and was able to upgrade straight away.

If you read back over the thread, from around when the upgrade came out, you'll see a fair bit of info.

Sorry I can't help more but I know very little about it. You basically have heard all of my upgrading to 2.2 knowledge already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

PMT,

I recall having a similar problem but can't quite recall the exact solution.

These however ring a bell and my advice is to do them in this order:-

1. Disconnect your SGS from Kies.

2. Remove your external SD card if you have one installed. These often contain movie/picture files with the offending long file names.

3. Without the phone connected try to "Update" the version of Kies by going into Settings -> Update.

4. Remove the battery of the SGS and restart. Once fired up connect to Kies and say a prayer that I haven't wasted your time!!

Best of luck.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

make sure your running kies 2.0!

Having an issue with data connectivity.

My phone reckons that it's roaming for some reason, getting the little R symbol over the signal bar. When I switch on the data roaming option I'm only connecting to the GPRS network rather than 3G.

Could it be because my battery is critically low at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Think I just installed Voodoo lag fix - How can I tell for sure?

Download Quadrant from the market. Run it. Your score should be around 1500-ish with lagfix. around 800 - 900 without.

god's toy wrote: »
    make sure your running kies 2.0!

Got it sorted with Kies 2, updating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

So, looks like the 16GB version has been discontinued, with only the 8GB version available from Vodafone anyway. Is the only difference the internal memory?

Download Quadrant from the market. Run it. Your score should be around 1500-ish with lagfix. around 800 - 900 without.

1576 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

1576 :)

1605 here...... Darkys gingerbread ROM (v8.0) voodoo lagfix/enabled! (phone is now a ROCKET!):D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I'm on 2.2 with z4root and OCLF and just ran Quadrant for the 1st time.

Score = 1810 :D

Maybe I don't need to upgrade to JPY for the time being anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Just to give people an idea, I was getting about 1200-1250 on stock 2.2.1 JPY.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

i would like to get the lag fix how do i do this in on 2.2 stock getting 968 on quadrant ?

Anyone else here on 3 in the North Cork/Munster area?

I can't pick up a 3G signal this evening and 3 reckon there is an outage, just want to be sure it's not my handset.

Also, Quadrant score of 1219 on Darkys v8.0 without Voodoo enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

getting 977 since i done the lag fix how do i get better ?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dots104

Anyone on here done the voodoo lag fix on stock 2.2. What were your results. Im getting aroung 970 on quadrant without the fix.

• Advertisement

dots104 wrote: »
    Anyone on here done the voodoo lag fix on stock 2.2. What were your results. Im getting aroung 970 on quadrant without the fix.
    I'm getting around 1550. By stock 2.2 do you mean through Kies?

Advertisement