Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Think I remember reading someone else having a similar problem with 2.2 and Dialer One.

Have you tried uninstalling Dialer One to see if that fixes it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

still cant update to anything via kies and now that ****ing thing wont even let the fone connect to kies
    ideas any one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BLOPzzz

Hi, So I got the Galaxy S about a week now. And at first I thought I would be well able to use it. Seems though that is not the case. Basics are fine. But when it comes to apps and updates etc I haven't got a clue what I'm doing or what I need to do. Eg 1. Flash Player! I can't figure it out.

I need a bit of a " how to use the Galaxy s for dummies ". If anyone knows any blogs/sites etc that might be of any use for this kind of thing I would apprciate it greatly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

RTFM? :p
    For Flash Player you need Android version 2.2 (Froyo).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Another new official froyo build for XEU product codes - 2.2.1 (JPY). Update via KIES.

Glad to see Samsung releasing updates.

I'm updating as I type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Bear,

I'm on the official 2.2 FROYO.XWJPA which I guess is commonly referred to as "JPA"? I've rooted using z4root and installed OCLF so it's really humming along including the GPS performance.

What's the craic with JPY? Is there a list of new features or fixes? Are there any known downsides? I've heard some of the new releases have poor battery or GPS performance!!

If I want to update via Kies do I have to uninstall z4root and uninstall OCLF first?

Appreciate any insight you can give me on JPY.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

Ive had a nokia bluetooth handsfree kit in the car for a few years now and never had any trouble with it until i connected the SGS to it using bluetooth. Anytime someone calls they tell me there is a terrible echo on their end even though I can hear them perfectly.
    After some quick research (googling) turnsout it might be an issue with the secondary microphone in the phone.

Anyone else having the same issue? Any idea how to solve this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

2.2.1 JPY seems to be much much zippier than previous stock ROMs.

Happy so far ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Another new official froyo build for XEU product codes - 2.2.1 (JPY). Update via KIES.

I'm updating as I type.

What network are you with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

angel01 wrote: »
    What network are you with?

hi angel did you not see my question :) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent starter's guide for using the Samsung Galaxy S?

I'm fairly good with technology but, as this is my first smart phone and android device, I'd like to make sure I start off teh right way and get teh most out of it form the start.

I literally picked it up from the Meteor Store 4 hours ago.

Thanks,
    NKay.

I'm updating as I type.

did you just plug galaxy into kies and it updated?or had you to do anything else?i have 2.2 but id like to get 2.2.1

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Hi Guys,

As bringitdown says above, I find JPY snappier alright. But it could be down to a fresh firmware. There's a thread on XDA with the differences between JPX and JPY, I'll try and find it again.

@angel01, I'm on 3Ireland bill pay. Got fed up waiting for froyo to be released a long time ago now, so I've been flashing unofficial (via Odin) and official (via KIES) firmwares ever since.

On my very first flash my firmware was changed from 3IE to KOR, but I recently used the following code to change to the XEU code - *#272*your imei code# (note: if you do this it factory resets your phone and restarts it)

@crazygeryy, I flashed JPX and then JPY using the Registry Flasher. Even though my product code is now XEU (as above), the update wasn't showing.

Open KIES, connect phone. Open registry flasher. Select the product code (XEU). Click write to registry. Click to check for an update on KIES and it should find the update to JPY.

Btw I posted the link to registry patcher a few posts above this one. Also, I'm not 100% sure how to change my product code back to 3IE if I have to (I really don't see the need), but I think I've seen a thread on XDA about how to do it. It requires backing up your efs folder (which I've done a few times - just in case!)

As always using any unofficial means (Odin or Registry Patcher to update your SGS is at your own risk. (althought it's very straight forward :))

Phew! If anyone wants anymore info, let me know. I'm still learning myself too!

Hi Guys,

As bringitdown says above, I find JPY snappier alright. But it could be down to a fresh firmware. There's a thread on XDA with the differences between JPX and JPY, I'll try and find it again.

@angel01, I'm on 3Ireland bill pay. Got fed up waiting for froyo to be released a long time ago now, so I've been flashing unofficial (via Odin) and official (via KIES) firmwares ever since.

On my very first flash my firmware was changed from 3IE to KOR, but I recently used the following code to change to the XEU code - *#272*your imei code# (note: if you do this it factory resets your phone and restarts it)

@crazygeryy, I flashed JPX and then JPY using the Registry Flasher. Even though my product code is now XEU (as above), the update wasn't showing.

Open KIES, connect phone. Open registry flasher. Select the product code (XEU). Click write to registry. Click to check for an update on KIES and it should find the update to JPY.

Btw I posted the link to registry patcher a few posts above this one. Also, I'm not 100% sure how to change my product code back to 3IE if I have to (I really don't see the need), but I think I've seen a thread on XDA about how to do it. It requires backing up your efs folder (which I've done a few times - just in case!)

As always using any unofficial means (Odin or Registry Patcher to update your SGS is at your own risk. (althought it's very straight forward :))

Phew! If anyone wants anymore info, let me know. I'm still learning myself too!
    thanks for the reply now all i have to do is get the download mode working.any ideas on that.i saw the guide on xda but it looks hard to be honest.

Are either of the following working?

1. Turn off your phone - leave it off for 1 min.

2. Download Mode: hold the Volume Down + Home + Power button
    or
    Recovery Mode: hold the Volume Up+ Home + Power button
    crazygeryy wrote: »
    thanks for the reply now all i have to do is get the download mode working.any ideas on that.i saw the guide on xda but it looks hard to be honest.

Are either of the following working?

1. Turn off your phone - leave it off for 1 min.

2. Download Mode: hold the Volume Down + Home + Power button
    or
    Recovery Mode: hold the Volume Up+ Home + Power button

no it just turns on, thats all.i tried it a few times.

Have you upgraded to 2.2 via KIES? If so, maybe stick to using the Registry Patcher and update to 2.2.1 via KIES. All it's doing it spoofing your product code/software revision and kies version (i think).

There are a few solutions on XDA to getting download/recovery working alright.
    no it just turns on, thats all.i tried it a few times.

Since I have upgraded to 2.2, my text message notification sounds are gone, I have gone through the sounds options but I still can't get it to sound :(

Edit: seems to be a known issue and bug, downloaded handcent which has fixed this :(

moggser wrote: »
    still cant update to anything via kies and now that ****ing thing wont even let the fone connect to kies
    ideas any one?

Bump anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Bear,

Can you post a link to where I can download Registry Patcher?

If I follow that process will I be able to update my rooted 2.2 via Kies or will I need to unilstall z4root and OCLF first?

Cheers,

Ben

• Advertisement

@Ben - linky: KIES Registry Patcher - will add it to my signature now.
    Scroll down a bit and a link to version 1.7 is there. You'll need to have an account (free) with XDA.

You definitely need to undo the OCLF - there should be an 'undo' option. Don't think you need to unroot - well I didn't need to. I had the voodoo lag fix installed and had to undo it first.

@crazygeryy - if you've update through KIES already, then using the registry patcher shouldn't cause any problems.
    Obviously it would be best if you have download/recovery working first though! Did you try both download mode and recovery mode? Are both not working?
    BenEadir wrote: »
    Bear,

Can you post a link to where I can download Registry Patcher?

If I follow that process will I be able to update my rooted 2.2 via Kies or will I need to unilstall z4root and OCLF first?

Cheers,

Ben

@Ben - linky: KIES Registry Patcher - will add it to my signature now.
    Scroll down a bit and a link to version 1.7 is there. You'll need to have an account (free) with XDA.

You definitely need to undo the OCLF - there should be an 'undo' option. Don't think you need to unroot - well I didn't need to. I had the voodoo lag fix installed and had to undo it first.

@crazygeryy - if you've update through KIES already, then using the registry patcher shouldn't cause any problems.
    Obviously it would be best if you have download/recoveryworking first though! Did you try both download mode and recovery mode? Are both not working?
    yes both do not work.i think im one of the lucky few :(

anyway thanks for your help and thanks for replying, some people dont bother replying.down right rude if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

yes both do not work.i think im one of the lucky few :(

anyway thanks for your help and thanks for replying, some people dont bother replying.down right rude if you ask me.

I think 1-in-3 or thereabouts don't have the recovery mode enabled, I have read of people heating the phone with a hair dryer to activate it. :D

@crazygeryy - yeah there's a fair few threads on XDA on how to fix the 3 button combo. (including some crazy ones!) This one seems to be the most straight forward. You could at least try the first part to see if your phone is able to be 'fixed' using the method described in the thread. There's an android, windows and/or unix test.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭poxon

There is an easier way - but your phone must be rooted, use root explorer to go to efs folder, then delete nv_data.bin and nv_data.bin.md5. Reboot phone - nd you will get old product code from the backup. Use SGS Toolbox to check product code.

Im using custom ROM from Darky - its really good.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=814091&highlight=KOR

hi angel did you not see my question :) ?

Sorry missed this, am not well at the moment :(:(

poxon, this method will only work if you have a backup of your nv_data files. Depending on how you flashed your phone via Odin, you may not have them.

If you don't have the backup files and you delete your nv_data files, you will brick your phone. Be careful if you're going to try this method.
    poxon wrote: »
    There is an easier way - but your phone must be rooted, use root explorer to go to efs folder, then delete nv_data.bin and nv_data.bin.md5. Reboot phone - nd you will get old product code from the backup. Use SGS Toolbox to check product code.

Im using custom ROM from Darky - its really good.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=814091&highlight=KOR

do you lot have me on ignore or something:o

moggser wrote: »
    do you lot have me on ignore or something:o

Sorry :o Try to restart your phone, connect your phone up, hopefully it will kickstart Kies, if not right click it and set to administrator and open it, try and reinstall the USB drivers again..

It is painful :(

• Advertisement

that dont work either

and what really annoys me is that it connected before

Advertisement