Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Suspense eh!
    Is there a link missing from your post? :D

Tried z4root alright, never bothered searching for an alternative.
    Ste- wrote: »
    For future reference or those upgrading to 2.2.1 here's what I use to root 2.2.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Suspense eh!
    Is there a link missing from your post? :D

Tried z4root alright, never bothered searching for an alternative.

Yeah there was, thanks for that.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=788108

On 2.2.1 and am getting around the 16xx mark in quadrant so far.
    Just tested now and got 1477.
    Without the lagfix just rooted gets 1027.

Nevertheless the phone seems as stable as I had it on 2.1 only now I have Flash and the other 2.2.1 goodies. The updates for stock seem to be getting better. What's Darkys v8 like anyone ? Worth the upgrade ?

BearNecessities thanks for your previous posts they helped me using the Kies registery hack to update to 2.2.1 JPY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

Heroditas wrote: »
    Got the update to 2.2 quite a while ago and was a bit peeved that the phone was quite laggy. Finally got around to carrying out the factory restore tonight and, wow, the difference is greta.
    Phone is absolutely flying now.

i updated from 2.1 to 2.2 via kies.can see lagging on phone. could not connect to facebook. have not tried other apps yet.
    is it worth factory restore?
    what data will i lose with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

i updated from 2.1 to 2.2 via kies.can see lagging on phone. could not connect to facebook. have not tried other apps yet.

You will lose apps, messages, contacts and settings. However if you have your contacts synced to Gmail it's very painless to get them back. Any paid apps can also be downloaded again without having to pay a second time. All in all it's not so bad.

I've done a factory reset 4 times in the last 72 hours and have my phone back to where I want it now. Well worth it to kill the lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Craigels

How do i do factory restore and will loose any data

• Advertisement

All your data, contacts etc will be lost. The phone will be reset as if it was new.

It's recommended you backup your data/contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭budgemook

I tried again last night to watch RTE player on my Galaxy S.

I'm on Android 2.2 (Downloaded through Kies) and am a Vodafone subscriber. Yesterday I downloaded the Flash 10.1 update from the market but the behaviour of RTE player is still the same.

When I choose something to watch, the first 10 - 20 seconds will play but then it will cut out. I see a little icon and clicking it results in the rteplayer page being displayed again. This is a constant loop.

I am using the wifi in my home and my PS3 and laptop can play RTE player pretty well.

Has anyone had a similar problem or know how to fix it? Is 2.2.1 better for playing flash? Would a factory reset work? I did a factory reset right before I installed 2.2 but haven't done one since installing. Is it something I should consider?

Thanks for the help.

What's Darkys v8 like anyone ? Worth the upgrade ?

Darkys v8 is pretty good, haven't run quadrant tests on it yet but it's very smooth and I haven't seen a force close yet. Don't have the built in Voodoo lagfix switched on either, it's quick enough without that so far.

Good looking themes too. Just wiped my battery stats now to get that side of things up to scratch. Will be delighted with the ROM if it will improve my battery life.

Excellent options in the power menu too to boot into recovery or download mode. Only drawback that I have come across so far is that I can't seem to do this manually with the 3 button method. Exceptionally easy to flash the ROM too.

I could never get RTE player working properly.

The ad would play fine, but any of the shows would be in slow mo.

Just tried it now (2.2.1 ) and its the same. Just to confirm it's only the website you're talking about, or is there an app out?
    budgemook wrote: »
    I tried again last night to watch RTE player on my Galaxy S.

I'm on Android 2.2 (Downloaded through Kies) and am a Vodafone subscriber. Yesterday I downloaded the Flash 10.1 update from the market but the behaviour of RTE player is still the same.

When I choose something to watch, the first 10 - 20 seconds will play but then it will cut out. I see a little icon and clicking it results in the rteplayer page being displayed again. This is a constant loop.

I am using the wifi in my home and my PS3 and laptop can play RTE player pretty well.

Has anyone had a similar problem or know how to fix it? Is 2.2.1 better for playing flash? Would a factory reset work? I did a factory reset right before I installed 2.2 but haven't done one since installing. Is it something I should consider?

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Craigels wrote: »
    How do i do factory restore and will loose any data

Settings -> Privacy -> Personal Data -> Factory data reset

You will only lose the settings such as the ringtones, messages and your contacts and apps.
    All the stuff such as pictures will still be on the phone afterwards but back them up just to be 100% certain for peace of mind.

• Advertisement

I could never get RTE player working properly.

The ad would play fine, but any of the shows would be in slow mo.

Just tried it now (2.2.1 ) and its the same. Just to confirm it's only the website you're talking about, or is there an app out?

Yeah it's just the site. Someone on here said yesterday it works fine though. Weird.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Settings -> Privacy -> Personal Data -> Factory data reset

You will only lose the settings such as the ringtones, messages and your contacts and apps.
    All the stuff such as pictures will still be on the phone afterwards but back them up just to be 100% certain for peace of mind.

Mine is a bit laggy on 2.2 also. I said earlier that I factory reset right before upgrading but not after. Do you think a factory reset will help with that? It's mainly the email app i'm having problems with

Just another update on Darkys v8.0 ; Upload to Picasa is finally working for the first time since I got the phone. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Bit of advice needed ref JPY please???

I have stock 2.2 Build number FYOYO.XWJPA with z4root and OCLF installed.

If I unroot and uninstall OCLF will I be able to upgrade to 2.2.1 JPY via Kies in the normal way or will I need to use the Kies Registry Hack as outlined in Bear's signature?

Either way will I lose my settings, contacts, installed applications etc?

I'm quite happy with my current setup (compared to months on an unrooted stock 2.1!!) but I would like to access any improvements particularly in relation to battery life and GPS performance.

Cheers guys.

Ben

BenEadir wrote: »
    Bit of advice needed ref JPY please???

I have stock 2.2 Build number FYOYO.XWJPA with z4root and OCLF installed.

If I unroot and uninstall OCLF will I be able to upgrade to 2.2.1 JPY via Kies in the normal way or will I need to use the Kies Registry Hack as outlined in Bear's signature?

Either way will I lose my settings, contacts, installed applications etc?

I'm quite happy with my current setup (compared to months on an unrooted stock 2.1!!) but I would like to access any improvements particularly in relation to battery life and GPS performance.

Cheers guys.

Ben

I did the same last night but I was on a rooted OCLF 2.1.
    I unrooted and un-OCLF then updated and reinstalled the root and OCLF.
    See my post above for rooting on 2.2.1 or JPY. AFAIK you don't need to unroot to upgrade but it has been advised to undo your OCLF.

To get 2.2.1 you need the registry hack. it will only go to 2.2 if you don't.
    Bears posts are an excellent wealth of info and I followed them myself last night.

If you reset your settings everything will be wiped. I had backed up my apps and data with My Backup Pro, I believe the root version is now free in the market. To keep you APN settings I used APN Backup & Restore. See below. It restored my APN from my previous phone which still had them as I couldn't send them from O2.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/mybackup-root/com.rerware.android.MyBackupRoot

http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-riteshsahu-apnbackuprestore-qAwz.aspx

Thanks Ste, I guess I know what I'm doing tonight so!!

Any recommend a nice cover for it.
    Don't want to go Silicone as I think they cheapen the look of the phone, thinking of a gel one, are these the best ?
    Anyone any links, I know amazon have some just wondering are they about the best ones ?

I've been sorely tempted to order one from Gelaskins for a while now.

http://www.gelaskins.com/store/skins/phones/Galaxy_S_Vibrant_Intl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

does it bring back to 2.1 or it remains in 2.2 after reset?

It'll stay on whatever you had prior to reset.
    If you have 2.2, it'll stay on 2.2
    If you have 2.1, it'll stay on 2.1
    does it bring back to 2.1 or it remains in 2.2 after reset?

• Advertisement

Think I just installed Voodoo lag fix - How can I tell for sure?

OK I've installed the registry hack and am ready to go but before I do I've a few more questions:-

1. What Spoof Product Code do I need to select? XEU???
    2. After upgrading do I need to do a factory restore or am I confusing this process with flashing non official ROMS like Darkys 8.0?
    3. After upgrading via Kies will I have to re-install all apps, data and settings? (Thanks Ste for pointing me in the direction of MyBackUP Pro and APN Backup & Restore)
    3. After upgrading will I no longer be able to root with z4root? If so is the process described by Ste and detailed here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=788108 the only way to root? If it is then I’m going to pull the plug on this upgrade as that’s a step too far/complicated for me :mad:

Regards,

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

@beneadair

i did step 3 and it looks very hard but it isnt.i was the same as you will i wont i but i just did.and it worked.is your download/recovery mode working on your phone?as they all say dont do anything unless its working.

I've been asking about a few things here recently. My email and yahoo mail applications were very laggy. The yahoo one was unusable. Also, RTE player wouldn't work on my phone. Crashed after a few seconds. I thought about upgrading to 2.2.1 (I'm on Kies 2.2 update) but wasn't sure if those issues would be fixed.

Decided to try voodoo lag fix first. I'm sure most here have it but if not you should get it. The apps I mentioned are running perfectly now. The yahoo one even says Galaxy is not supported but this fixes the problem. RTE player works great now too.

Voodoo lagfix was also simple to install using this guide

I'm now perfectly happy with my phone and don't think i'll bother making anymore changes for the time being.

Gerry,

I've searched for a link to the latest ODIN download but haven't had any luck. All I can find is V 4.03 but when I launch that I get an immediate error type popup which states "IMAGE PATH" followed by a bunch of Chinese characters - NOT CONFIDENCE INSPIRING!!!

Can you post a link to the latest/correct version?

Ben

Ben, I think the latest Odin is 1.3? You can get it from SamFirmware.com (as well as pretty much all software you need for flashing)

I've a strange problem though. I tried using z4root to root the phone yesterday, I'm on 2.2.1 JPY. It didn't work so I just restarted the phone and I was going to give the One Click Root a go. But the phone has become incredibly slow. The worst it has ever been.

I restarted again hoping it would fix the problem, but alas it's the same :( Anyone have any ideas? I've uninstalled z4root, but that didn't help.

Ben, I think the latest Odin is 1.3? You can get it from SamFirmware.com (as well as pretty much all software you need for flashing)

I've a strange problem though. I tried using z4root to root the phone yesterday, I'm on 2.2.1 JPY. It didn't work so I just restarted the phone and I was going to give the One Click Root a go. But the phone has become incredibly slow. The worst it has ever been.

I restarted again hoping it would fix the problem, but alas it's the same :( Anyone have any ideas? I've uninstalled z4root, but that didn't help.

The only method I could get for 2.2.1 rooting is the link I posted previously.
    Z4root nor z4mod or the older version of OCLF with root included all wouldn't work.
    It's not that hard really once you follow the step by step instructions and as stated in that thread shouldn't take more than 30 secs once odin is installed and finds your galaxy. easier than getting kies to connect!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=788108

Am also tempted to try these kernels where z4root will work.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=824747

Thanks Ste. I kinda knew it wouldn't work, but there's a few on XDA that said it did on 2.2.1. I thought I'd just chance it anyway. But I'd love to know what z4root did to the phone to make it as slow as it is now. (and I mean slow :( )

Ah well, I'll be flashing Darky's rom today! :)

AFAIK and I could be way off but it patches the kernel doesn't it.
    So I'd assume with 2.2.1 having a different kernel maybe things were moved around and when it patched it it f*cked up the kernel ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭happy_73

I did the same last night but I was on a rooted OCLF 2.1.
    I unrooted and un-OCLF then updated and reinstalled the root and OCLF.
    See my post above for rooting on 2.2.1 or JPY. AFAIK you don't need to unroot to upgrade but it has been advised to undo your OCLF.

To get 2.2.1 you need the registry hack. it will only go to 2.2 if you don't.
    Bears posts are an excellent wealth of info and I followed them myself last night.

If you reset your settings everything will be wiped. I had backed up my apps and data with My Backup Pro, I believe the root version is now free in the market. To keep you APN settings I used APN Backup & Restore. See below. It restored my APN from my previous phone which still had them as I couldn't send them from O2.

http://www.appbrain.com/app/mybackup-root/com.rerware.android.MyBackupRoot

http://www.androlib.com/android.application.com-riteshsahu-apnbackuprestore-qAwz.aspx

Went to 2.2.1 last night, everything went fine except that after doing a restore of the APN settings I still can't get 3G network access - any ideas?

thanks
    S

Advertisement