Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭mugenextreme

Had a issue today with the phone. Its the first time since i updated that i have had to connect it to the pc. Same as u Moggser it wouldnt connect even the pc didnt see it at first or ask me what program to use to open the files. I ended up connecting it to a different usb port and it worked straight away. Both kies and the pc picked it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

right its seeing the phone now

but it still wont update it says its unavailable

meteor know nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

For anyone having problems with KIES. Here's my suggestion:

1. Disconnect phone.
    2. Uninstall KIES
    3. Delete the KIES directory under Program Files (Windows)
    4. Run the latest KIES uninstall appplication - download here
    5. Reinstall latest KIES version - Kies_1.5.3.10103_102_1.exe

Bear

trying this now
    just installing the Kies from your link and see whats what let yall know
    how it go

well there ya go tried that too and was ****
    didnt work i didnt expect it to either not sure what is actually wrong but its annoying as **** tho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

moggser wrote: »
    well there ya go tried that too and was ****
    didnt work i didnt expect it to either not sure what is actually wrong but its annoying as **** tho

did you try the registry patch mentioned previously?
    I installed that, and upgraded via kies updated instantly.

give it a whirl.

is that not just for rooted fone's ?
    will try it now sure tried everyting else

where do i get the patcher?

and what version i saw the link in Bears sig but not registering on another jausis'n site to get it

@moggser - What's not working exactly? Sorry I'm a little confused, I thought you couldn't get the phone connected.
    If it's just update you want, pm me your email address. I'll send Registry Patcher to you.

@moggser - What's not working exactly? Sorry I'm a little confused, I thought you couldn't get the phone connected.
    If it's just update you want, pm me your email address. I'll send Registry Patcher to you.

@Bear... at first it was that it seen the fone then stopped seeing the fone and all along it wouldnt update the fone for me get the whole ya cant update this fone thing

cheers incoming pm :)

Right, pm sent. Let us know how you get on. Usual warnings apply.

Enjoy the 2.2.1 good ness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

angel01 wrote: »
    Sorry missed this, am not well at the moment :(:(

ok no problem hope your feeling better.in fairness you usually do answer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭poxon

poxon, this method will only work if you have a backup of your nv_data files. Depending on how you flashed your phone via Odin, you may not have them.

If you don't have the backup files and you delete your nv_data files, you will brick your phone. Be careful if you're going to try this method.

True, you can easily check with SGS Toolbox if you have a good backup. I still have oryginal one even after 20-30 wipes and reflashing different roms through odin and cwm.
    And for kies - registry patch is working perfect. Just tested yday - Im on three.ie so first Ive tried 3IE - upgraded fine to 2.2 three branded, then updated to 2.2.1 on XEU. Now Im back to darkys 7 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭apc

Just got my SGS for Christmas................impressed so far except for the messaging app.................i didn't receive three messages a friend sent and am not praticulary keen on the UI................has anbody else experienced missed messages?and does anybody know of an alternative app with the traditional inbox, sent messages etc;

Thanks in advance,
    apc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

apc wrote: »
    Just got my SGS for Christmas................impressed so far except for the messaging app.................i didn't receive three messages a friend sent and am not praticulary keen on the UI................has anbody else experienced missed messages?and does anybody know of an alternative app with the traditional inbox, sent messages etc;

Thanks in advance,
    apc

I used Handcent SMS for a while. It's quite good, with more options. No problem with integration.

I have one niggle with my SGS.
    My messages fail to send sometimes. I can't really see any pattern to how or why they're failing. I've a good signal when they fail to send.
    I know it definitely happens when I try send a few messages in a row and quickly - if that makes sense.

Is there any sort of log on the phone that might indicate why the messages fail? (ala Event Viewer in Windows)

Btw, I've always had this problem. From 2.1 to 2.2.1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Hi got this phone for Xmas my first ever android or smartphone and im having trouble connecting it to the wifi at home which is Vodafone Broadband , when i go to connect it up it sees and remembers the connection but just won't connect it just says connection unsuccesful any one here able to give me a hand ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Hi got this phone for Xmas my first ever android or smartphone and im having trouble connecting it to the wifi at home which is Vodafone Broadband , when i go to connect it up it sees and remembers the connection but just won't connect it just says connection unsuccesful any one here able to give me a hand ?

Have you a password set on your wifi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Nevermind_

Did you try to reset your router?
    Just turn it off for 10 seconds and turn it back on, that usually solves it for me

Okay reset the router and still the same craic no go. okay so this is the screen im getting neway

Wi.Fi : Scanning or disconnected

Network Notification: ticked

Wi.Fi Networks

Vodafone 3742
    remembered secured with WPA/Wpa2 PSK

so don't know what to do I have had no trouble connecting laptops psps xbox 360 and a wii to the thing so im baffled really

The old turn it off and on again ;) works every time! (including the phone as well)

If that doesn't work, check you have the right password and the CaSe is correct.

Oh and make sure to forget the password then re-scan before you try and connect/enter the password again. I found sometimes this helps.
    Nevermind_ wrote: »
    Did you try to reset your router?
    Just turn it off for 10 seconds and turn it back on, that usually solves it for me

• Advertisement

Higher case it is then i'm such a tit lol i got it working that way , Was putting in the password in lower case thanks for the help guys :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Anyway of updating Android over the area with this phone, or via cable only?

I'm on 2.2.1 JPY and there appears to be a new section under 'about phone' for software updates OTA. Requires a samsung user name and password. Haven't tried it yet. There's a link to register there as well.

Think USB cable is the only way at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Okay reset the router and still the same craic no go. okay so this is the screen im getting neway

Wi.Fi : Scanning or disconnected

Network Notification: ticked

Wi.Fi Networks

Vodafone 3742
    remembered secured with WPA/Wpa2 PSK

so don't know what to do I have had no trouble connecting laptops psps xbox 360 and a wii to the thing so im baffled really

I had that problem. Disappeared when I set fixed IP address in settings. You can also use Allshare which seems to be far more successful at connecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭G1032

I'm on 2.2.1 JPY and there appears to be a new section under 'about phone' for software updates OTA. Requires a samsung user name and password. Haven't tried it yet. There's a link to register there as well.

Think USB cable is the only way at the moment.

Will 2.2.1 be relaesed through Kies at any point? If it is, when could we expect it to be released?

@G1021 - JPY is definitely an official firmware, as you can get it through KIES. When the operators make it available, I've no idea sorry!

A good thread on XDA to keep an eye on though - Product Code with Latest Firmware

It looks like product codes CPW, SLK, XEU have 2.2.1

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

Upgraded my SGS to 2.2 yesterday, and got Skype working for the call part of the service, but can't get the video part to display - either to or from my phone.

Could this be a broadband capacity issue rather than an issue with my install?

any one got a screen shot of the apn setting for meteor:)

moggser, my sig should have the link to the Samsung settings page. You can get them sent to your phone directly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Hi all,

I've got the official 2.2 JPA which I then rooted (z4root) and installed OCLF.

Is it worth unrooting and uninstalling OCLF in order to get the latest JPY firmware? What are the main benefits?

Ben

Advertisement