Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

mathie wrote: »
    Just upgraded to 2.2
    Waste of time.
    Very slow to do the most basic tasks.

Typing a text message now has regular pauses of a few seconds.
    Exiting out of application the same delay.

I'd avoid like the plague.

same here..i am on emobile 2.1
    upgraded last night to 2.2 via kies
    damn slow and can see the pauses
    any way to go back or rectify this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

@budgemook, I'll try answer these as best I can.

1. If you use the registry patcher (in my sig), it'll change the product code for you (i.e. select XEU).
    Edit: As mentioned before in the thread, this may/will invalidate any warranty.

2. If you use the registry patcher and then upgrade through KIES, I actually think it doesn't wipe any of your data (but take a backup just incase).

3. I find Gmail is good - no problems. I'm nearly sure the Gmail client on 2.2 is the same as 2.2.1 (version JPY)
    Don't really use the facebook app (I think it's crap). And I've not used the Mail app or Yahoo Mail in 2.2.1 sorry!

Battery life, while I thought it had improved is pretty much the same as 2.2
    Edit: I should warn you that there are a few threads on XDA with people having battery life problems with 2.2.1
    I had the problem with 2.2.1 JPX, but no problems with 2.2.1 JPY - I seem to be one of the lucky ones.

Using the registry patcher is very easy. PM me if you want the how-to.
    budgemook wrote: »
    I've asked you about 2.2.1 before Bear, just a couple of questions:

1: I believe I just need to change my product code and update through Kies, is that right?
    2: Will I lose my contacts / messages / apps if I upgrade? I just spend ages joining up my gmail, facebook and phone contacts so don't want to have to do it all again (though I have them backed up as a vcard and saved in gmail).
    3: The reason I want to move up is, although the main functions of the phone are better / faster, some apps like the built in email, yahoo mail and facebook have become worse than when on 2.1 - Have you had problems with these apps and are they working better on 2.2.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

mathie wrote: »
    Just upgraded to 2.2
    Waste of time.
    Very slow to do the most basic tasks.

Typing a text message now has regular pauses of a few seconds.
    Exiting out of application the same delay.

I'd avoid like the plague.
    same here..i am on emobile 2.1
    upgraded last night to 2.2 via kies
    damn slow and can see the pauses
    any way to go back or rectify this?

Yep for those who find the sgs slow after 2.2 update please do a factory reset and you should be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

hey just wondering if anyone can help me. I've read the feckin manual to no avail.

I've got a new Galaxy S, I can't find out how to delete unwanted contacts from my contacts list that came over on the Sim from the old phone. The old phone is dead due to water damage so I can't edit/delete contacts there. :(

I'm sorry it's probably obvious but I've not been able to do it so far.

Any help much appreciated.

Contacts -> Menu -> Delete

Select the contacts you want to delete, then hit 'Delete'

Otherwise, if you have them sync'd to a gmail account, delete them online and let the phone sync.
    If you don't have a gmail account, I'd sign up for one and sync your contacts. Saves so much hassle if you lose your contacts somehow.
    hey just wondering if anyone can help me. I've read the feckin manual to no avail.

I've got a new Galaxy S, I can't find out how to delete unwanted contacts from my contacts list that came over on the Sim from the old phone. The old phone is dead due to water damage so I can't edit/delete contacts there. :(

I'm sorry it's probably obvious but I've not been able to do it so far.

Any help much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Contacts -> Menu -> Delete

Select the contacts you want to delete, then hit 'Delete'

Otherwise, if you have them sync'd to a gmail account, delete them online and let the phone sync.
    If you don't have a gmail account, I'd sign up for one and sync your contacts. Saves so much hassle if you lose your contacts somehow.

Hm, on the phone when I click the Contacts Icon, I don't have a 'menu' choice
    (called menu)
    I have 4 Icons at the top Contacts, Groups, History, Activities
    Below that I have
    +Create contacts (choices in there are Save contact to; phone/Sim/Google)
    Then below that the alphabetised list of contacts.

In Gmail in my Contact Manager all my contact lists are empty including 'Starred in Android'
    The only lists with contacts are 'Most contacted' and 'Other' which have email addresses in.

I thought I synched my contacts when I was setting up the phone but apparently not if the lists are empty? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭G1032

1. If you use the registry patcher (in my sig), it'll change the product code for you - to whichever you choose (i.e. select XEU).

Does this invalidate any warranty for the SGS? Sorry.......not up to speed with a lot of this!!
    Wanted to upgrade to 2.2.1 because the phone is slow since upgrade to 2.2. Did factory reset too and didn't help.

Yes, I believe it does indeed. Unfortunately. :(

Edit: Unless you bought the phone unlocked in IE or UK. Then it should be XEU already - you wouldn't need the registry patcher then.
    Does this invalidate any warranty for the SGS? Sorry.......not up to speed with a lot of this!!
    Wanted to upgrade to 2.2.1 because the phone is slow since upgrade to 2.2. Did factory reset too and didn't help.

You should have three buttons at the bottom of the phone.
    A 'Menu' button (touch), a 'Home' button (physical) and a 'Back' button (touch) - with me? Sorry, I'm not sure of the correct names.

Go into the contacts and tap your 'Menu' button. It'll give you the 'Delete' option.
    Hm, on the phone when I click the Contacts Icon, I don't have a 'menu' choice
    (called menu)
    I have 4 Icons at the top Contacts, Groups, History, Activities
    Below that I have
    +Create contacts (choices in there are Save contact to; phone/Sim/Google)
    Then below that the alphabetised list of contacts.

In Gmail in my Contact Manager all my contact lists are empty including 'Starred in Android'
    The only lists with contacts are 'Most contacted' and 'Other' which have email addresses in.

I thought I synched my contacts when I was setting up the phone but apparently not if the lists are empty? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭budgemook

1. If you use the registry patcher (in my sig), it'll change the product code for you (i.e. select XEU).
    Edit: As mentioned before in the thread, this may/will invalidate any warranty.

2. If you use the registry patcher and then upgrade through KIES, I actually think it doesn't wipe any of your data (but take a backup just incase).

3. I find Gmail is good - no problems. I'm nearly sure the Gmail client on 2.2 is the same as 2.2.1 (version JPY)
    Don't really use the facebook app (I think it's crap). And I've not used the Mail app or Yahoo Mail in 2.2.1 sorry!

Battery life, while I thought it had improved is pretty much the same as 2.2
    Edit: I should warn you that there are a few threads on XDA with people having battery life problems with 2.2.1
    I had the problem with 2.2.1 JPX, but no problems with 2.2.1 JPY - I seem to be one of the lucky ones.

Using the registry patcher is very easy. PM me if you want the how-to.

Thanks for that. I'm thinking that I probably won't bother. The facebook app is a bit crap but can't do anything about that bar use alternatives such as the mobile site, I've learned that Yahoo mail app doesn't support the galaxy so I'll wait for them to sort this out and to be honest and I shouldn't be checking my work mails outside work anyways! Everything else on 2.2 is fine for me.

One last question - Did you, are anyone else, ever get rte player to work on this phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

budgemook wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I'm thinking that I probably won't bother. The facebook app is a bit crap but can't do anything about that bar use alternatives such as the mobile site, I've learned that Yahoo mail app doesn't support the galaxy so I'll wait for them to sort this out and to be honest and I shouldn't be checking my work mails outside work anyways! Everything else on 2.2 is fine for me.

One last question - Did you, are anyone else, ever get rte player to work on this phone?

RTE player works fine for me. Did you download the flash update after upgrading to 2.2?

Also, could someone on 3 Ireland post up the links for the "Check my Balance" screen and the free Sky Sports page please?

I did a factory reset before installing Darkys ROM and forgot to back those up.

You should have three buttons at the bottom of the phone.
    A 'Menu' button (touch), a 'Home' button (physical) and a 'Back' button (touch) - with me? Sorry, I'm not sure of the correct names.

Go into the contacts and tap your 'Menu' button. It'll give you the 'Delete' option.

Sorry, should have said, tried that also.

When I hit that little menu touch button on the left...I've got 6 tiles:

Search/ Display Options/ Get Friends
    My Profile/ Speed Dial/ More

'More' has an option under Accounts to Auto-Sync which I have enabled and under that there is a 'Manage accounts' section containing my gmail addy which is also on....

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

Cheap thrills. Hold down the contact you wish to delete and you get a pop up menu with delete option

Cheap thrills. Hold down the contact you wish to delete and you get a pop up menu with delete option

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Many thanks meathgal -works a treat!

Thanks also BearNecessities

Must be a froyo 2.1 thing? :P
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

Many thanks meathgal -works a treat!

Thanks also BearNecessities

RTE player works fine for me. Did you download the flash update after upgrading to 2.2?

Also, could someone on 3 Ireland post up the links for the "Check my Balance" screen and the free Sky Sports page please?

I did a factory reset before installing Darkys ROM and forgot to back those up.

I did not, but some flash stuff works on my phone, albeit badly. Where do I get this update? RTE plater usually plays for a few seconds (usually just the ad) and then bombs out.

What's the free sky sports page? Is that something just for 3 customers?

I posted the My3 and skysports link somewhere recently. I thought it was in this thread but can't find it.

Edit: Found them...Try these

My3 - http://mobile3.3ireland.ie/837_sc
    TodayOn3 - http://mobile3.3ireland.ie/sdf/quickmenu/1002
    3Skype - http://mobile.3ireland.ie/sdf/skypexrdr

Remember the above links (if they still work) will only work over 2G/3G - not WiFi.

I posted the My3 and skysports link somewhere recently. I thought it was in this thread but can't find it.

Edit: Found them...Try these

My3 - http://mobile3.3ireland.ie/837_sc
    TodayOn3 - http://mobile3.3ireland.ie/sdf/quickmenu/1002
    3Skype - http://mobile.3ireland.ie/sdf/skypexrdr

Remember the above links (if they still work) will only work over 2G/3G - not WiFi.

Lovely, cheers Bear. I knew there were there somewhere but couldn't find them.

Just flashing Darkys v8.0 right this minute. Will post later on how it is. Still having issues with the battery life though. Goes from 100% to 95% in about 4 mins, the drain then slows down but I'm not getting a day out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Lovely, cheers Bear. I knew there were there somewhere but couldn't find them.

Just flashing Darkys v8.0 right this minute. Will post later on how it is. Still having issues with the battery life though. Goes from 100% to 95% in about 4 mins, the drain then slows down but I'm not getting a day out of it.

did you sort out your issue of not being able to send or recieve picture messages?hope i have the right guy/gal lol

crazygeryy wrote: »
    did you sort out your issue of not being able to send or recieve picture messages?hope i have the right guy/gal lol

Yup finally got it working on Darkys Rom.

Here are my settings.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=142094&stc=1&d=1294251511attachment.php?attachmentid=142095&stc=1&d=1294251511

• Advertisement

Here's a question.

I've taken down all my facebook contacts who I want to be on my phone. I joined them with the phone / gmail contact and it's all nice and synced. Their facebook picture is their icon when the ring me now and all that stuff.

Can I directly facebook message them from my contact list. That would be cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dromdrom

I have a bit of an odd one. Going to have to return my Galaxy S next week as for some reason if I turn the phone off I can only turn it on again by connecting the USB cable to the phone and plugging it into a computer. Also the phone does not recognize that a charger has been inserted , the battery charges and everything but the battery icon on the screen does not change and the phone does not recognize that the charger has been inserted. I can take out the battery and run the phone directly from the charger and it still tells me low battery

dromdrom wrote: »
    I have a bit of an odd one. Going to have to return my Galaxy S next week as for some reason if I turn the phone off I can only turn it on again by connecting the USB cable to the phone and plugging it into a computer. Also the phone does not recognize that a charger has been inserted , the battery charges and everything but the battery icon on the screen does not change and the phone does not recognize that the charger has been inserted. I can take out the battery and run the phone directly from the charger and it still tells me low battery
    have you factory reset it and/or reset the battery stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dromdrom

Did a factory reset, no joy. Somtimes you can turn it on and it might start up (about 5 minutes later) but generally has to be connected via usb too switch it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Just upgraded to 2.2.1 and can't gt anything to root the phone.
    will the voodoo lagfix root it ?
    z4root won't work. any other suggestions folks ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Yup finally got it working on Darkys Rom.

Here are my settings.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=142094&stc=1&d=1294251511attachment.php?attachmentid=142095&stc=1&d=1294251511

Mods should sticky this post here!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Ste- wrote: »
    Just upgraded to 2.2.1 and can't gt anything to root the phone.
    will the voodoo lagfix root it ?
    z4root won't work. any other suggestions folks ?

For future reference or those upgrading to 2.2.1 here's what I use to root 2.2.1.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=788108

• Registered Users Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Got the update to 2.2 quite a while ago and was a bit peeved that the phone was quite laggy. Finally got around to carrying out the factory restore tonight and, wow, the difference is greta.
    Phone is absolutely flying now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Heroditas wrote: »
    Got the update to 2.2 quite a while ago and was a bit peeved that the phone was quite laggy. Finally got around to carrying out the factory restore tonight and, wow, the difference is greta.

Good luck with that. I did a factory reset on my factory froyo and it is now in the shop to get reflashed. :-/ It's not even a day (out of maybe 10) and I already miss it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Heroditas wrote: »

im on froyo 2.2- can i ask.... what is the factory restore and how do i do it? is there ant risks involved as per the comment above mine. or is that a one off.

Advertisement