Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Who's this lad Terry Dolan people.. Is it worth downloading?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

He used to do the lexicography and etymology (I had to google it too!) piece on Moncrieff, it was a brilliant segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Just to send very best wishes to Terry Dolan after his interview on today's Marian Finucane. I think it was important for his story to be told, and he tells it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭Poochie05

He's a lecturer of Hiberno-english in UCD (well respected by the sounds of it), hence the very interesting segment on words & their origins on Moncrieff. He had a stroke and by the sounds of it, this has left him completely dependent on carers. He was talking about the difficulties he has doing every day things, like dressing himself, and how he is trying to keep some amount of dignity by not giving in to certain things, such as having a wheel chair to get about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Poochie05 wrote: »
    I know he is battling difficult circumstances and trying to keep some level of dignity but it sounds as if mentally he still has a very long way to go. I agree it is refreshing to hear someone still in the process of learning to cope with his body no longer doing the day to day things he'd like it to do, rather than someone who has battled all the odds and is now climbing Everest.
    Well put. I was glued to the interview this morning, he was very honest about how he's coping with everything.

I admire those who can mentally overcome terrible physical illness/injury, better people than me. I think I'd be feeling like Terry Dolan is, if I was in similar circumstances, perhaps not even coping as well as he is.....so fair play to him. I hope he keeps making progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I enjoyed it, came into the interview about a third through and thought she was interviewing BP Fallon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fallon actualy popped into my head as well but the more I listened the less likely that seemed esp as there was no mention of boogaloo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Very surprised you haven't heard of him Jonathan.

Perhaps there is not much point in downloading the Marian Finnucane interview unless you know who he is.

He used to have a weekly slot on Moncrieff where he explained the meaning of words. Often topical words relating to to the news of the day.

And while such a banal topic may sound boring, Dolan had the gift of making every word and its meaning sound interesting.

He had (still has) a voice for radio.

I would love to hear him back on his old 15 minute slot on Moncrieff (or elsewhere) again.

But I also agree with Poochie05's comments above.

I got the impression from Dolan's interview with Marian that his infliction is eating him up inside, despite his candid acceptance of it.

But, his reluctance (however stoic) to adapt to aides such as wheelchairs, walking sticks in public came across as a denial of the cross he now bears.

Meanwhile he praised the fittings in his own home that contribute to make his mobility more comfortable. (Stairlifts etc.) It would seem that he is more conscious of his condition in public than in his own home. This is entirely understandable of course.

However, on more than one occasion he said that he seldom dines out in public anymore, for fear of what others in the restaurant might mutter should he stumble, or drop a wine glass.

Two polite words here Terry - Feck them.

Dine out in style, and never feel the need to apologise to your fellow diners for anything .

Looking forward to the book, and hope to hear more of you on the radio soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nodrogllig

I felt very sorry listening to Terry Dolan. He seemed to have a lot of internalised rage which could only be expressed by having others 'do' for him. " I won't go into a wheel chair. I won't use a hoist". 'So therefore I will have others pick me up, and 'do' for me.' He used the word dignity over and over again. I wonder if he was to change the words loss of dignity for loss of EGO and finally surrendur to the stroke and it's painful invitation to 'change' and make life work for him instead of his need to fight it by refusing to 'give in' so to speak. Giving in and using the gifts of wheel chairs, hoists, will only enhance his life and make it a lot easier for those who are available to support and help him. I guess some stroke victims become more selfish, and of course I don't blame them I just hope that I dont have to travel the same route.

I listened to this interview twice... And the only way I can describe his tone is one of dispassionate resignation... I think RTE should have left it a bit longer before interviewing, and give the man a bit of time to come to terms with it.. He still seems to be in denial..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

I listened to this interview twice... And the only way I can describe his tone is one of dispassionate resignation... I think RTE should have left it a bit longer before interviewing, and give the man a bit of time to come to terms with it.. He still seems to be in denial..

It's a couple of years now since it happened and his tone was always dispassionate or reserved. The Irish hear foundation gave him the 2010 Stroke Advocate Award... http://www.stroke.ie/iopen24/2010-stroke-award-winners-t-831.html

I remember him on the LLS show with Gay Byrne many moons ago. He brought to our attention the rise of the "Dort" accent in Dub

He was on with John Murray a couple of weeks ago, launching the show's campaign against the abuse of the English language by election candidates.

I'd love to hear him back on Moncreiff, even as a pre-recorded piece

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Greenman wrote: »
    I enjoyed it, came into the interview about a third through and thought she was interviewing BP Fallon.
    Exact same thing happened to me in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Poly wrote: »
    I remember him on the LLS show with Gay Byrne many moons ago. He brought to our attention the rise of the "Dort" accent in Dub

Really? I'd love to have seen that LLS!

Poor Terry - he sounded very down. And for all my criticisms of Marian, I thought her interview was excellent. She really pushed him on those situations in which he feels most awkward, and even if her questions about his aversion to both restaurants and using a wheelchair (I'm paraphrasing here: "but you'd be sitting down, just like everybody else, nobody would have to know that you were in a wheelchair...") were precisely the questions everybody at home must have been shouting at the radio.
    Excellent radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Charlie bird just said he was filling in for marian "for the next few weeks." Christ sake how does she do this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah not again. I have to hand it her, not many get paid so much for doing so little.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Charlie bird just said he was filling in for marian "for the next few weeks." Christ sake how does she do this ?

I was so looking forward to Marian post FF anialation......

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Marsipanss

Infoanon wrote: »
    I was so looking forward to Marian post FF anialation......

Bird was pretty damn poor in the slot as well. Seems to be hanging around RTE looking for work. Might be time to put him out to grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Marsipanss wrote: »
    Bird was pretty damn poor in the slot as well. Seems to be hanging around RTE looking for work. Might be time to put him out to grass.

This 'Bird' has flown!

Marsipanss wrote: »

Poor Charlie, I think he's still traumatised after his tour of duty in D.C. no friends, no one knew his name and his printer didn't even work, enough to scar any man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭edwinkane

I tuned into MF yesterday for a few minutes, and didn't know who it was who was presenting her program. We turned off after a few minutes as the program seemed not to our taste.

On Sundays now, we prefer Eamon Dunphy to MF, and find ourselves listening less and less to her program.

For a journalist, Charlie doesnt know a lot about the economy.. He just asked what a bondholder is.. :confused: I guess he'll be standing up in the studio and saying "I dont know what a tracker mortgage is".. in a minute..

Very interesting to hear the economic contributor on the show who reckons that Charlie McCreevy was "hated" in Europe for the way that he strutted around... And reckons that our punitive interest rate may be Europe sticking it to us for his arrogance..

After having finished reading the news, Michael Murphy said "Back to you, Charlie"... which had me wondering (given the revelations about drug use in RTE) if Michael Murhpy was really handing back to Charlie Bird, or was he actually lighting up a little something to ease the newsroom tension..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

Very interesting to hear the economic contributor on the show who reckons that Charlie McCreevy was "hated" in Europe for the way that he strutted around... And reckons that our punitive interest rate may be Europe sticking it to us for his arrogance..

It was Gerry Stembridge who made that point and I can't help thinking that there is an element of truth to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Here we are again with Marion taking the proverbial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Is she on another junket to South Africa.???

Time to put an end to this charade.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Here we are again with Marion taking the proverbial.

Marian Finucane is as immoral and lacking in credibility as any banking executive in recent years.

WHY is she allowed to RETAIN such a salary for 4 hours radio a week - with VERY SUBSTANTIAL time off during the year
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement

bureau2009 wrote: »

WHY is she allowed to RETAIN such a salary for 4 hours radio a week - with VERY SUBSTANTIAL time off during the year
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Because she is locked into a contract until 2012 and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Well, there is nothing anyone at RTE is prepared to do about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement