Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

telekon wrote: »
    That 'dramatic' Sunday Tribune ad regarding the Michaela Harte murder was insensitive, disgusting and misjudged.

Let it go ye vultures. :mad:

Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That 'dramatic' Sunday Tribune ad regarding the Michaela Harte murder was insensitive, disgusting and misjudged.

Let it go ye vultures. :mad:

Commented on that in News and Media forum, see Sunday Tribune thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Is it my imagination or is Marion shriking the Cowen story again? :rolleyes:

She's got some rugby player who got concussion: now that's important.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

She's "delighted he's looking so well though"...:rolleyes:

i know its not entirely fair but its been a bugbear of mine recently where i hear politicians and media heads waffle on about subjects that have real painfull consequences to people like theyre discussing the weather.

particularly when they use certain language to cushion the discussion.

best example i can think of was one of the last tonight shows with pat kenny (i think, it was definetly a current affairs show) where they were talking about clerical "Abuse" and it got all happy clappy and casual amongst the talking heads...

...till a bloke in the audience (who i think was an FF lord mayor of waterford or something) gave 5 minutes of the most powerful telly ive ever seen relating to how he was consistantly raped as a child and how even now past 50 he STILL wakes up from nightmares in a sweat and if it wasnt for his wife he'dve topped himself long ago.

you could here a PIN drop in the studio as the politicos finally "got" what they were discusing.

theres people toping themselves over the finanical crisis and the debt they got into yet that peice we heard was almost an acadamic exercise in blame shifting by people it has virtually no effect on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

mike65 wrote: »
    Commented on that in News and Media forum, see Sunday Tribune thread.

I don't get boards at all, at all.

'News and Media' Forum?? First I heard of it.

This place needs a serious spring clean and some serious streamlining...

• Advertisement

Telekon http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=444

Media only deals with the abstract until real people intervene.

jesus mike thats insane.

ive been getting a bad feeling about this story since day one. my spidey sence just screamed "media circus in the offing".

of course its news worthy but FFS give them a break. when the dad had to basically come on telly and say leave the poor widower alone you got a sence that things have gone overboard.

on OP.

Marrion still going on with the rugby lad, now i like rugby but im finding it very hard to stay awake here.

mike65 wrote: »
    Telekon http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=444

Media only deals with the abstract until real people intervene.

Missed that particular piece of gutter journalism from the Independent (who else?) regarding Michaela and the biscuit with the cup of tea...unbelievable.

Literally the worst story I've seen since any of Alison O'Riordans...

Yay...'tea culture' now!!

I thought they would never get round to talking about it...Brian who?

i think this is about as close to a "Tea party" discussion as were gonna get on marion !

:)

• Advertisement

i think this is about as close to a "Tea party" discussion as were gonna get on marion !

:)

Its brutal isn't it though?

€450K to talk drivel about tea leaves for 4 hours a week...while managing to avoid the big issues. Only in ireland.

This is more like Moncrieff than Marian.

What happened to her anyway?

Why can't she drink coffee and why is she in a wheelchair?

"i was told by a tea grower not to put boiling water on... " !

What NORMAL person KNOWS any tea growers in this country ?

seriously marion is in danger of disappearing up her own arse on this subject. obscure or what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I agree with most of the above. The old regulator was just lucky that he got out at the right time.. It was through any competency on his part that the thing didnt collapse on his watch. At lot of the damage was done during the period of time he was in charge so how he can claim that he has no culpability is beyond me.... They allowed Anglo to grow at 30% a number of the years that he was in charge.. When a bank grows by more than 20% alarm bells are meant to be ringing with regulators..

Listening to Tubridy's cousin, Barry Andrews now... What a deluded wimp.. fobs off the economic crisis as being the fault of Lehmans... Can I just say one more time Barry Andrews... Whatever you say about the fault of the giant bank debt we are now responsible for, Fianna Fáíl are SOLELY responsible for the Exchequer deficit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

Awful RTE panel today. Newstalks one is the best. Todayfm's seems a bit wishy washy too. I do think Sam Smyth's show has lost its way recently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Marian just informed us that "I go to Italy quite a lot"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

very light weight show again today - though at least got a few points in about FF putting the party first and the fact that Cowen went campaigning in Donegal when the IMF arrived - but aside from that weak biased programme.
    Newstalk & Today FM shows where miles ahead and more focussed on the issue listerners really went to hear about.

After yesterdays,imo, appaling episode, things can only improve.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I think RTE's bias towards a cuppa cha is a disgrace. Today should have had, if all things being fair and equal, a good half hour promoting coffee.

Now I'm not biased as I'd be a tea drinker myself but fair is fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

humberklog wrote: »
    Now I'm not biased as I'd be a tea drinker myself but fair is fair.

Well at least they have stopped all the banging off cups in the studio... It used to sound like the washroom in an army kitchen.. Maybe they have invested in technology to filter out the frequencies of the cups banging off the saucers..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Well at least they have stopped all the banging off cups in the studio... It used to sound like the washroom in an army kitchen.. Maybe they have invested in technology to filter out the frequencies of the cups banging off the saucers..

Coasters?

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    Coasters?
    There are plenty of coasters in RTE for sure.

John O'Connor - not sure what to make of him. Hes out of touch with the average guy definitely, but his heart is in the right place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

GSF wrote: »
    John O'Connor - not sure what to make of him. Hes out of touch with the average guy definitely, but his heart is in the right place.

I'm sure he's gone off for a nice expensive lunch to console himself.

Can't stand how he portrayed himself as a victim in that interview.

SkidMark wrote: »
    I'm sure he's gone off for a nice expensive lunch to console himself.

Can't stand how he portrayed himself as a victim in that interview.

I know he lives in a bubble - I liked the way he tried to bond with Marian over how they were both criticised for their huge salaries - but I think O'Connor probably does a lot of good in raising money from private donors. If the cost of doing that is a few lunches, then I suppose its worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

GSF wrote: »
    I know he lives in a bubble - I liked the way he tried to bond with Marian over how they were both criticised for their huge salaries - but I think O'Connor probably does a lot of good in raising money from private donors. If the cost of doing that is a few lunches, then I suppose its worth it.

Spell the guys name correctly for jeez sake man, if you are going to defend him.

Snout buried to the brow in the Public expense trough.

No two ways about it...in deep and sucking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Nice subtle comment by Boulton towards the State broadcaster this morning. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Marian at it again - cheerleader now for Micheal Martin - introduced her show with 'momentum for Micheal Martin' 'preferred choice for Taoiseach' and even through in a I told you so'

No mention that FF are still third in the polls and majority say the new FF leader will make no difference and a majority will vote fro any party once its not FF

Incredible how Marian still gets away with this biased commentary

Fair play to Terry Dolan on the programme now. Its the first time I've heard him on the radio since he had the stroke.

His honesty and clarity in explaining how he dealt with his life since is refreshing to hear.

I used to enjoy his slot on Moncrieff over on Newstalk.

I would be good to have him back again.

Ah I knew the voice and distinct delivery of language but just couldn't quite place it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I always enjoyed his segments on Moncrieff.
    In this interview with Marian however I thought he sounded a bit depressed. I know he is battling difficult circumstances and trying to keep some level of dignity but it sounds as if mentally he still has a very long way to go. I agree it is refreshing to hear someone still in the process of learning to cope with his body no longer doing the day to day things he'd like it to do, rather than someone who has battled all the odds and is now climbing Everest.

But he still appears to be focused on the barriers to every situation and using them to avoid doing things he'd clearly like to be doing, such as eating in a restaurant. I know everyone deals with situations differently, but I hope at some stage he will get to the point where the wish to be doing some of these things will overcome what he views to be barriers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement