Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

The culture in RTE is to base the salaries on the 'High earner.

It is absolute madness for Finucane to get the wedge she is getting for the output she provides.

Absolute and total madness.

No one in their right mind could justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Rubik. wrote: »
    Because she is locked into a contract until 2012 and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Well, there is nothing anyone at RTE is prepared to do about it.
    The whole deal with being a contractor is that you can be f*cked out on the street at anytime, that's why you are paid a premium over permanent staff.

Shame on RTE for not including the relevant clauses in her contract.

Then again, the current middle-to-upper management at RTE are such spineless, superannuated public-sector gobsh*tes that this basic lack of business acumen doesn't surprise me in the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

The whole deal with being a contractor is that you can be f*cked out on the street at anytime, that's why you are paid a premium over permanent staff.

I wouldn't mind doing her job for a couple of years and then being effed out on the street. She earns more in a year than some of us would earn in 20 years. I also heard that a lot of the contractors in RTE have set up their own companies so as to avoid paying as much tax as possible.

I remember RTE trying to justify the obscene salaries paid to their top presenters by saying they'd be poached by another broadcaster if they didn't pay them top whack. Well I don't exactly see any Irish independent TV/ radio stations with wads of cash to throw about these days. RTE should call their bluff and slash their salaries by at least 50%. Let's see how many of them will jump ship or "go to America" as they used to say about Uncle Gaybo.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Not worth a quarter of what she earns. 2 days a week, 500k a year. I'll take that thank you ver much. I wouldn't mind but most females i know say she's great blah blah. No wonder rte are debt ridden paying her obscene wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Rubik. wrote: »
    Because she is locked into a contract until 2012 and there is nothing anyone can do about it. Well, there is nothing anyone at RTE is prepared to do about it.

Agreed.

And I'm delighted there is a sense of outrage on this thread about Ms Finucane's "salary".

Why not write to the Director General of RTE expressing your views on this issue?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Just a heads up lads.. Joan Burton will be on with Charlie Bird (in place of Marian) tomorrow morning.. Should be interesting to hear her spin on this week's events..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Aye, PK announced that on his own programme earlier.

While biting his lip, seething at the thought that Charlie Bird (a mere stand in) got the scoop instead of himself. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

you know for the life of me i dont know why charlie bird calls his show "the marrion finucane show "

false modesty i suppose.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Moan burton on now. Bet she'll insist she's happy with her lot having calmed down the last couple of days....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Bird has spent 5 minutes trying too get her to say.

I was dissappointed.

SO SO SO SO SO SO SO tedious. Not journalism.

• Advertisement

He is STILL going on about it. Why? What is his agenda? Bringing in the gender issue now.

'What was the break-down in terms of messages of congratulations and messages of you woz robbed'?

Bird is a bird brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Besides Charlie's tabloid gutter journalism, Burton is coming off quite well here. Needless to say Charlie is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

telekon wrote: »
    Besides Charlie's tabloid gutter journalism, Burton is coming off quite well here. Needless to say Charlie is not.

yea, I think she is coming accross quite well, Charlie is just a bad interviewer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

I only listened to the first part of the Burton interview.....you know, the part where Charlie was desperately trying to get her to say how p1ssed off she was about not getting a finance brief and Joan, equally desperately, trying to talk about anything other than that........any post is an honour blah, blah, blah.

It was hilarious. My favourite part was where she talked about taking the bus from Blanchardstown into the Dail last week and "being with her people" on the bus.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Helen Lucy Burke to Charlie Bird about promoting Dublin Tourism.

"Paris, I'm sure you've been there yourself".

"Abbey Theatre, I'm sure you've been there yourself".

"Marsh's Library, I'm sure you've been there yourself".

"Gravediggers Pub, I'm sure you've been there yourself".

Charlie banging his head off wall, "I'm sure you've been there yourself".

I know Charlie gets around, but Jebus missus, Enough with the feckin presumptions, :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Lapin wrote: »
    "Paris, I'm sure you've been there yourself".

"Abbey Theatre, I'm sure you've been there yourself".

"Marsh's Library, I'm sure you've been there yourself".

"Gravediggers Pub, I'm sure you've been there yourself".

Charlie banging his head off wall, "I'm sure you've been there yourself".
    Ha, don't know why but your post reminded me of the Easter masses.

St Nicholas, pray for us

John The Baptist, pray for us

St Jude, pray for us

Mary Immaculate, pray for us

Charlie Bird, pray for us :eek:

Cole wrote: »
    I only listened to the first part of the Burton interview.....you know, the part where Charlie was desperately trying to get her to say how p1ssed off she was about not getting a finance brief and Joan, equally desperately, trying to talk about anything other than that........any post is an honour blah, blah, blah.

It was hilarious. My favourite part was where she talked about taking the bus from Blanchardstown into the Dail last week and "being with her people" on the bus.:rolleyes:

So anyone who does not travel by bus is 'not her people'

Lemme say a few things, this new Govt. better wise up pretty rapido that everybody who pays taxes is 'their people'

Labour will be under pressure from Higgins ,Daly and the Red lefties to be 'more red' and this kind of crap will do them, if they succumb.

The lefties will spout all kinds of rhetoric, confident that nobody even dreams that they will have to put their rubbish to the test.

Free "everything" for "everyone" , don't bother helping yourself, just leave school at 14 and expect the state to support you.

Heh heh and the assholes actually believe that that system will work.

Did you hear Sam Smyth in the first hour today? All about Lowry/tribunal.

Nothing much new, but a few anecdotes about Lowry which really reaffirmed the shyster reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

best show she's done in ages.

i may be wrong but i dont think there was and ad in that whole hour !

the digging out the re enactments from way back when of the tribunal was a stroke of genius and really added to the show. i thought she handeld the subject far better than pat "sorry i had to say that dennis" kenny did during the week.

more stuff like this and she might be on her way to earning her wages .

• Advertisement

There was, just before she played some of the re-enactments.....I'm a stickler for detail me.;)

It was a good show alright, just hope she can start to breathe a bit of life back into the Sunday show now.

best show she's done in ages.

the digging out the re enactments from way back when of the tribunal was a stroke of genius and really added to the show. i thought she handeld the subject far better than pat "sorry i had to say that dennis" kenny did during the week.

more stuff like this and she might be on her way to earning her wages .

Not even close:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Was listening to Marian yesterday with Pat Cox, and then today supping tea with Alan Dukes and John Lonergan... I find it completely ironic that she is giving out about what "Europe has done to US", and "have WE not taken enough austerity", "WE cant take any more"..

Even if we didnt have to bail out the banks, there would still be an Exchequer deficit of 19 Billion... or if you want to take it on a more micro level RTE are set to post losses of 25 Million for 2010... Marian taking 600k out of RTE for four hours a week is criminal, and still she pontificates about "what Europe has done to US".. At some stage Marian should look in the mirror and see that whether it is the blame of the RTE head staff for paying her 600k, or her own fault for being greedy, she IS part of the problem..

Was listening to Marian yesterday with Pat Cox, and then today supping tea with Alan Dukes and John Lonergan... I find it completely ironic that she is giving out about what "Europe has done to US", and "have WE not taken enough austerity", "WE cant take any more"..

Even if we didnt have to bail out the banks, there would still be an Exchequer deficit of 19 Billion... or if you want to take it on a more micro level RTE are set to post losses of 25 Million for 2010... Marian taking 600k out of RTE for four hours a week is criminal, and still she pontificates about "what Europe has done to US".. At some stage Marian should look in the mirror and see that whether it is the blame of the RTE head staff for paying her 600k, or her own fault for being greedy, she IS part of the problem..

Yes heard a bit of that. Lonergan saying everyone is inherently good, and Dukes talking in his usual staccato way and pronouncing 'money' as 'munny'

Soon as I heard that, I thumbed the off button.

On your second point of course you are right, how do they get away with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Marian taking 600k out of RTE for four hours a week is criminal, and still she pontificates about "what Europe has done to US".. At some stage Marian should look in the mirror and see that whether it is the blame of the RTE head staff for paying her 600k, or her own fault for being greedy, she IS part of the problem..
    It's called capitalism.

I don't blame Finucane, as a business-woman fair play to her for squeezing the pips in RTE.

I blame the board of directors of RTE for not having much business sense and allowing Finucane, Tubridy, et al to be able to rail-road them at contract negotiation time.

It's called capitalism.

I don't blame Finucane, as a business-woman fair play to her for squeezing the pips in RTE.

I blame the board of directors of RTE for not having much business sense and allowing Finucane, Tubridy, et al to be able to rail-road them at contract negotiation time.

That ain't capitalism bro. Nepotism, Autism,Stupidism, maybe.

But while RTE is subsidised heavily by J.Q Taxpayer ,capitalism it aint:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭edwinkane

It's hardly the employee's fault if the employer calls them in and tells them they want to increase their renumeration to €600k+ per annum.

The fault is RTE management for spending the licence payers money in this way, and ultimately the fault of the government who allows rte to spend the licence fee payers money in this way.

I used to listen to Marian Finucane but no longer do as the quality of her program has declined and there are other shows on at the same time now which are usually more interesting.

edwinkane wrote: »
    It's hardly the employee's fault if the employer calls them in and tells them they want to increase their renumeration to €600k+ per annum.

The fault is RTE management for spending the licence payers money in this way, and ultimately the fault of the government who allows rte to spend the licence fee payers money in this way.

I used to listen to Marian Finucane but no longer do as the quality of her program has declined and there are other shows on at the same time now which are usually more interesting.

You make a series of excellent points there.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭bureau2009

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Jonathan Anon.

I have VERY STRONG FEELINGS about the OBSCENITY of Ms Finucane's remuneration and I believe the Board of Directors in RTE should call an emergency meeting to review in detail all aspects relating to it. It is BEYOND scandalous and is STILL ALLOWED TO CONTINUE.................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I remember hearing her waffle live on air to the ex-editor of the Sunday Tribune about how her show was kinda like how the Tribune prepared an edition, she had to prep from Tuesday to latenight friday for her weekend shows. I nearly had a Lowry-Mary Lou moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement