Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

jimmyw wrote: »
    Another week without her.Where is she now?

She said last week that she was going to America to film something.. Not sure if that was her bragging, or just simply justifying her absence ... It's getting ridiculous though.. Why dont they just call it The Sunday Morning show or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bossdrum

Another week without her.Where is she now?Might be better for her to take it easy and give the gig to Charlie full time.I did notice with a while she was coughing a bit more than usual.Fags might have finally caught up with her.

"Hello there, a very........":p

I heard an interview last week on Radio 1 with a guy that used to read the sports results every sunday on radio 1 for about 50 years.
    His father was sacked from the job before him because he was coughing too much. He was made tell his father that he was taking over the job:D

Maybe the same has happened to Marian:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Dj

Another week without her.Where is she now?Might be better for her to take it easy and give the gig to Charlie full time.I did notice with a while she was coughing a bit more than usual.Fags might have finally caught up with her.

Its a joke really, one of the highest paid RTE presenters that only has to present on a weekend yet Charlie Bird is in her seat more often than she is.
    I gave up listening to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭donaghs

Is she still on close half a million a year salary? She might as least show up more often? Its only 6 hours on air a week! (minus ads, news bulletins, etc, etc).

donaghs wrote: »
    Is she still on close half a million a year salary? She might as least show up more often? Its only 6 hours on air a week! (minus ads, news bulletins, etc, etc).

I think if you're gonna comment about her "excessive" wages, you should at least know the facts... It's four hours a week ... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭donaghs

Heard an ad yesterday, Charlie Bird will be on again this weekend.

Coincidentally, more calls for RTE to reduce massive salaries.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0513/1224296840571.html

Especially as they are are projecting a deficit of €30 million.

The Fianna Fáil spokesman for communications, Eamon Ó Cuív, made the call when he asked the Minister for Communications, Pat Rabbitte, to clarify “whether any of the licence fee is used to pay inflated salaries and fees to broadcasters in RTÉ”. He claimed that licence holders “would be upset if they believed this was the definition of public service broadcasting, paying people €600,000 and €700,000 per year in a time of economic downturn”.

I think Ex Minister Ó Cuív is suffering from what is known as Micheál Martin syndrome... he wakes up one day and has completely forgotten what he has done, said and supported for the last 14 years.. Marian Finucane was earning 180k in 2003 and it was negotiated on their watch that her wage should be boosted up to 650k for fewer hours.. He has some neck to now be questioning FG about "inflated salaries"..

We have Fianna Fáil and the unions to thank for the 19 Billion deficit..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

donaghs wrote: »
    Heard an ad yesterday, Charlie Bird will be on again this weekend.

Coincidentally, more calls for RTE to reduce massive salaries.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0513/1224296840571.html

Especially as they are are projecting a deficit of €30 million.

ah thats great.

i always hate it when that annoying old biddie stands in on the charlie bird show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

bossdrum wrote: »
    I heard an interview last week on Radio 1 with a guy that used to read the sports results every sunday on radio 1 for about 50 years.
    His father was sacked from the job before him because he was coughing too much. He was made tell his father that he was taking over the job:D

Maybe the same has happened to Marian:rolleyes:

That was Sean Og 'Cellaghain who got the job after his father was finished in it. I found it bizarre that no comment was made about the naked nepotism of this. It wasn't even questioned by anyone. Now I'm sure Sean Og is a nice man and all that but really he gets the job from Daddy and then hangs on to for grim death for 50 years. Not much chance for anyone else it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

She said last week that she was going to America to film something.. Not sure if that was her bragging, or just simply justifying her absence ... It's getting ridiculous though.. Why dont they just call it The Sunday Morning show or something?

I think she has gone to negotiate Ireland entry into the USA as everytime she is on she keeps throwing digs at Europe for getting us into a financial mess. More unbiased reporting from RTE.

RTE Website
    The Marian Finucane Show is the second most popular radio programme in Ireland ( JNLR 2011) and the highest rating weekend show.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Can't find here anywhere.

jesus half an hour of SHYTE today.

who is this biddy and why the **** should i care about her book ?

im off to stream some podcasts as i cant take this anymore.

Yeah they have the show structured so that there is an interview with one person in the first hour of the Satuday morning show.. But they had Twink on recently, and you can see from the recent nobodies they've had on that they are running out of guests fast..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Harry Crosbie can always be called.....

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Charlie please go back to the Artic .

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

11-12 I`m gone total rubbish .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭cozar

charlie bird is an imbecile, he asked Emma Donoghue why she called her book "room" and not "the Room" anyone who has read the book will know why she called it "room" FFS! Think Marion has lost a bit of her shine lately but anyone would be better that Bird, they just letting him fill in so the public will think that he is earning his salary.

cozar wrote: »
    charlie bird is an imbecile, he asked Emma Donoghue why she called her book "room" and not "the Room" anyone who has read the book will know why she called it "room" FFS! Think Marion has lost a bit of her shine lately but anyone would be better that Bird, they just letting him fill in so the public will think that he is earning his salary.

When have RTE ever appointed holiday cover that was ever better than the bog standard presenter they were brought in to cover for? Classic way to keep your job safe, all they have to do is show the dip in ratings when they went on their hols when Damo, Katryn or Charlie took over.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    When have RTE ever appointed holiday cover that was ever better than the bog standard presenter they were brought in to cover for? Classic way to keep your job safe, all they have to do is show the dip in ratings when they went on their hols when Damo, Katryn or Charlie took over.

That didn't happen last summer though, and Maid Marian was only present for about 6 weekends between June and September.

mike65 wrote: »
    That didn't happen last summer though, and Maid Marian was only present for about 6 weekends between June and September.

Who covered her?

• Advertisement

Rachel English and Charlie Bird (this thread starts with Marian F announcing her absence late last June)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

mike65 wrote: »
    Rachel English and Charlie Bird (this thread starts with Marian F announcing her absence late last June)

Rachel English is one of the few intelligent, likeable presenters on RTE and her talents are criminally under-utilised by the management.

Soultion: Give Marian's job to her. I'm sure Rachel would actually be bothered to turn up half the time, for half the money, and also with the added bonus of her not leaving the studio stinking like an ashtray for Marty and the sports lads to endure.

She pulled back from fulltime work when she was sick a few years ago... I'm not sure if she is back to full time work again...
    In October 2008, she was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid (but escaped a potentially more serious diagnosis relating to the lumps found in both of her breasts shortly after the thyroid trouble began). She is on medication for the thyroid problem, possibly for the rest of her life, and has stated that at some point she plans to treat the lump she still has in her throat.

I also think she's excellent and should be given the job... Marian should be let go and a fortune saved for the state... Not sure Rachael's health will allow her to do it though.

dear jesus i want to kill myself just listening to this biddy.

FFS marion get your act together its not the 1970s.

its off to podcasts again for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Kalimah

This is torture!

Very good first hour this morning.

Excellent panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

More gushing, desperate that our national broadcaster can engage in this. Geraldine Kennedy said that there were very few protesters so therefore there was very little objection to the visit and that's it????????????? This is the editor of one of our major newspapers?? That's shocking, it really is and a very dangerous turn for RTE to make. There is plenty of cogent, passionate, intellectual objection out there and the laziness and very transparent agenda is nauseating.
    Here is a rare objective discussion http://www.rte.ie/radio1/player_av.html?0,null,200,http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/209-r1-saturdayview.smil (about 35 minutes in, you have to listen to some gushing before you get to the interesting stuff) but even here the voice of the objectors is silenced by meaningless gushing. WTF is that last contributor actually saying behind the pseudo analysis.:eek:

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Geraldine Kennedy said that there were very few protesters..........

Which is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Lapin wrote: »
    Which is true.

Half of this sentence is true too...

'Boards.ie is a busy forum therefore the level of engagement with points of view is very intelligent.' :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Happyman42 wrote: »
    More gushing, desperate that our national broadcaster can engage in this. Geraldine Kennedy said that there were very few protesters so therefore there was very little objection to the visit and that's it????????????? This is the editor of one of our major newspapers?? That's shocking, it really is and a very dangerous turn for RTE to make. There is plenty of cogent, passionate, intellectual objection out there and the laziness and very transparent agenda is nauseating.
    Here is a rare objective discussion http://www.rte.ie/radio1/player_av.html?0,null,200,http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/209-r1-saturdayview.smil (about 35 minutes in, you have to listen to some gushing before you get to the interesting stuff) but even here the voice of the objectors is silenced by meaningless gushing. WTF is that last contributor actually saying behind the pseudo analysis.:eek:

Get over yourself. There were about 200 knuckleheads protesting about her visit in Cork on Friday. Compare that with the throngs in Patrick Street and the South Mall who were watching it on the big screens, not to mention the hundreds of thousands who were watching it at home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement