Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

It will be interesting to hear how Marzie avoids this elephant in the room.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ocallaghan-to-blow-whistle-on-rampant-coke-use-in-rte-2466623.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Poly wrote: »
    It will be interesting to hear how Marzie avoids this elephant in the room.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ocallaghan-to-blow-whistle-on-rampant-coke-use-in-rte-2466623.html

So is he gonna name the four or what??? gareth's been gone a while so its the old school rte people I would presume. So I've got a funny feeling motormouth Dave Fanning may be one of them. :rolleyes:

I'd personally love if the four cokeheads turned out to be, in this order:

1. Ryan Tubridy.
    2. Joe Duffy
    3. Marion Finucane
    4. Larry Gogan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

telekon wrote: »
    So is he gonna name the four or what??? gareth's been gone a while so its the old school rte people I would presume. So I've got a funny feeling motormouth Dave Fanning may be one of them. :rolleyes:

I'd personally love if the four cokeheads turned out to be, in this order:

1. Ryan Tubridy.
    2. Joe Duffy
    3. Marion Finucane
    4. Larry Gogan

I always had my suspicions about Micheál O'Muircheartaigh. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dave Fanning talks in a way that suggests chemical assistance alright.

Lapin wrote: »
    I always had my suspicions about Micheál O'Muircheartaigh. ;)

Oh shame on me, nearly forgot....Uncle Gaybo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Here we go...paper reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

My blood pressure always goes way up when I heard that tosspot Paddy Duffy, former adviser to Ahern, waffle on and on, never admitting that it was his man who was asleep at the wheel when the country hit the rocks.

Marion getting snippy there with that comment about Rte not tackling the drugs thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Well that's that dealt with then eh?

[edit] Wait it's not....some more drug discussion and some sensible input, even from *cough* Marion.

Wertz wrote: »
    Well that's that dealt with then eh?

Nothing mentioned about the other RTE addicts...not newsworthy I suppose around Montrose...

• Advertisement

Nothing mentioned about the other RTE addicts...not newsworthy I suppose around Montrose...

You don't sh*t on your own doorstep.
    The papers are best left to the detective work in Donnybrook...

Wertz wrote: »
    You don't sh*t on your own doorstep.
    The papers are best left to the detective work in Donnybrook...

Remember that Prime Time Investigates (I think, actually dont even know if it was a tv show :o) when they tested bathrooms all over the country and found the toilets in RTE positive for cocaine? Nothing much came of that obviously...

Or the ones in the Dáil...

That story on a mid level garda cover up about RTÉ stars and other Irish celebs makes for an interesting read, especially the bit about fear of a political backlash, by any investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I hear the white stuff didn't stop the RTE radio xmas party from happening on Friday night!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I thought Elaine Byrne was good today.. She was very biting in her remarks, and managed to get to the truth of a few of the issues... She came across as the belligerent to Marion's little media friends...
    y blood pressure always goes way up when I heard that tosspot Paddy Duffy, former adviser to Ahern, waffle on and on, never admitting that it was his man who was asleep at the wheel when the country hit the rocks.
    Havent heard him before, but he's a real Fianna Fáiler alright.. accepts no responsiblity for anything, feeble excuses for everything.. Elaine Byrne fairly pinned him to the wall on his board memberships..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭GSF

I thought Elaine Byrne was good today.. She was very biting in her remarks, and managed to get to the truth of a few of the issues... She came across as the belligerent to Marion's little media friends...

Havent heard him before, but he's a real Fianna Fáiler alright.. accepts no responsiblity for anything, feeble excuses for everything.. Elaine Byrne fairly pinned him to the wall on his board memberships..
    we wont be hearing much of her again on RTE then so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

She's usually good on Vinny Browne too.

I'd say the RTE canteen will be a fun place tomorrow. Might be a few cold turkeys before xmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭robo

Oh shame on me, nearly forgot....Uncle Gaybo!

I remember a few years ago Gift Grub (on TodayFM) did a sketch of Uncle Gaybo smoking a joint!

robo wrote: »
    I remember a few years ago Gift Grub (on TodayFM) did a sketch of Uncle Gaybo smoking a joint!

Yeah it was probably Mario's best ever sketch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭GSF

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Forgive my ignorance ,but who is she.?

heard her today and was waiting for Maid Marian to interject with 'who is asking the questions here' comment.

She interrogated some dude with some very pertinent questions.

Hopefully she has a clean background herself as that kind of stuff has repercussions.

First impression was that she is a bit of a weapon to be honest.

Forgive my ignorance ,but who is she.?

http://elaine.ie/
    The domain registry must like her anyway, it's hard enough to register your full name, never mind your first name..
    Dr. Elaine Byrne is a journalist, consultant and political analyst and lectures at Trinity College Dublin. Her first book, A Crooked Harp: Political Corruption in Ireland 1800-2010, will be published by Manchester University Press, forthcoming Spring 2011.

While her proposals seem Utopian, and possibly unrealistic given that she doesnt have any handle on ANY reigns of power, I like her.. She really gets stuck in to those she feels that are part of the problem..

Hmmmm... academic is she.

Very easy to throw around solutions when one is not 'in power'.

Much more difficult to implement.

Struck this poster as an acerbic little lady who was far to glib for her own good.

Basically if she came on to me like the dude she was interrogating, I'd have no hesitation in telling her to fuck off.

But I could be wrong, I was only half listening.

Yeah she certainly struck me as being far more militant than normal.. She took it on herself to interrogate two Gerald Keane and Paddy Duffy, and she constantly interrupted Gerald Keane.. maybe she was in bad form... Made for good radio though, as opposed as to the usual love in between her guests...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Struck this poster as an acerbic little lady who was far to glib for her own good.

+1. I heard some of the show this morning and I've seen and heard her a number of times over the last year or so. I think she's been around Eamon Dunphy and Vincent Browne too much, which might explain the smug, self righteous tone.

Most academics just rub me up the wrong way, so bloody sure of themselves. It's easy to pontificate to everyone when you, most likely, never have or never will have to put into practice the things you lecture everyone else on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Basically if she came on to me like the dude she was interrogating, I'd have no hesitation in telling her to fuck off.

+2

What I got from Elaine's interview on Marian's show was the whiff of a poorly concocted stitch up that backfired pathetically.

Notice how compliantly silent Finucane was as she allowed Byrne to interrogate Paddy Duffy. (Or perhaps Marion just kept her trap shut to let Elaine take any flak that may arise).

I've never heard of Paddy Duffy and don't give a fiddlers about him, but I thought he acquitted himself quite well under the meaningless bombardment he faced.

I was left with the impression that this morning's programme was trying to make something out of nothing - and got nowhere.

Yes,very surprised that Marian didn't rein her in.

In my opinion we give far too much credence to these 'academics' who are very highly qualified,but in what though. ?

Certainly not in implementing corrective measures to the economy and generally not in day to day in life outside the musty halls of academia, where one generally deals with real human beings, rather than soporific and dense theoretical dogma which may or may not actually have a relevance to real life and current conditions.

As already said, it's very easy to throw around solutions, criticism, and 'sage' comments with the benefit of hindsight cocooned in the knowledge that one will never have to put them into practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Never forget that Marion Finucane is paid an OBSCENE amount of money for 2 radio shows a week and gets 10+ weeks holiday a year (Her stand-in sounded better, at a fraction of the cost).

For me she has lost ALL journalistic and moral credibility. Her salary is as OBSCENE as any fat cat banker's salary + bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Yes,very surprised that Marian didn't rein her in.

In my opinion we give far too much credence to these 'academics' who are very highly qualified,but in what though. ?

Certainly not in implementing corrective measures to the economy and generally not in day to day in life outside the musty halls of academia, where one generally deals with real human beings, rather than soporific and dense theoretical dogma which may or may not actually have a relevance to real life and current conditions.

As already said, it's very easy to throw around solutions, criticism, and 'sage' comments with the benefit of hindsight cocooned in the knowledge that one will never have to put them into practice.

Spot on. The loose talk of these academics can be very dangerous. The likes of Morgan Kelly talked us into a recession. Morgan Kelly and David McWilliams. They were the ones wot done it. Oh, and Lehman's.

They ruined all the good work of people like Austin Hughes, Dan McLaughlin and Donal O’Mahony – the people who were at the coalface, the ones who really knew the score.

The likes of Kelly and Elaine Byrne should be viewed as subversives. People in Europe hear our media – when these people in their ivory towers in academia challenge the government and the consensus, they are putting Ireland’s international reputation at risk, they are portraying Ireland as being “closed for business”. The arrogance of these elitist academics really boils my blood.

We are all in this together. We have to row in behind the people who really know the score. There is too much negativity. I trust Brian Cowen and Brian Lenihan. There is no alternative. We need to keep calm and commit suicide. It's in the national interest.

• Advertisement

Irony doesn't suit you Sid.

Address the issue or head off to the Ally Pally and do your commentary:cool:

Un unded an eeeeeeeeeeety

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement