Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,091 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Rebelheart wrote: »
    She's talking to a guy called Simon now who owns loads of property in smithfield and whose partner was called Paddy. A quick google and it appears to be Simon Kelly. He's doing a superb job at making himself look reasonable and likeable.

Roll on those Carr Communications courses!

Ahh Rebelheart you don't know your property developers. :o
    Young simon is son of one paddy kelly, who was very good friends with seanie fitz and bertie ahern.
    He once lamented on radio how ff were abandoning their building supporters.
    I kid you not. :rolleyes:

paddy kelly got to develop the National College of Ireland campus down in the docklands.
    This was all funded by Anglo and seanie fitzpatrick as one joyce fitzpatrick was head of the college.
    Notice the surnames, sister you see?
    paddy supposedly contributed at fundraiser because ould joyce offered him a dance.
    Made a change form the circel jerk her brother and he were doing.
    Then lo and behold he got the gig of developing the new campus.

young simon has gig with sunday tribune as a business expert.
    Some business expert. :rolleyes:
    He now owes you, me and the rest of us mere mortals a couple of hundred million.
    Funny how one sunday he used his column to poke fun at bank that tried to reposess his ould fella's car only to have to hand it back as it was in mammy's name.

I thought marian for once was pretty good in going after the little toad.
    She did not let the sleeveen just spout his drivel and got him to acknowledge
    1. that they affectively pressured people into selling proeprty claiming that it was going to be CPOed anyway.
    2. that his own home had been moved to his wife's name

I hope no one goes out to buy this pr**ts book, but use our libraries instead.
    Anyway I like spreading the word about these connected shysters and the more people that do it, the better for all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Poly wrote: »
    Give the show to Mooney
    Oh I don't know, can you imagine the panel discussions on Sunday? Temper tantrums every time someone offers a contrary opinion to his.

The Sunday show has become very dull, particularly the first hour. The usual predictable panel offering the same dreary tedious analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Poly wrote: »
    as long as he leaves Neena ni nawnaa and the other fruit loops back on the nature reserve

He'd certainly have to ditch auld 'leather lungs' Donohue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

He'd certainly have to ditch auld 'leather lungs' Donohue.

Or fog horn Brenda - to her "real" friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

FFS listen to McDaid pontificating going on about his pension :rolleyes: He was largely absent from the dail, more interested in his medical career and was one of the last to give up his pension after much dispute. Oh and the motorway incident was hardly the behaviour of a minister of the state...

The man is a disgrace and now trying to repair his tarnished reputation. Yea, good luck with that.

Whats wrong with Donegal people voting in these cretins like mcdaid and coughlan :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

The blatant bias of RTE having this lying hypocrite on in the week before a byelection is appaling.

Seriously though, why is he doing this interview?? He's coming across really really badly. i.e. even more badly than usual.

admits he didnt lift a finger in the dail but happily collected the cheques, pension, golden parachute et al.:mad:

nice to hear about his 75K win on the gee gees :rolleyes: what a great way to end the interview.

appalling stuff altogether. good riddance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Dirigent wrote: »
    The blatant bias of RTE having this lying hypocrite on in the week before a byelection is appaling.

I wouldnt agree.. I think Jim McDaid is an honest guy with his flaws.. He certainly didnt go in to it for the power or the money, but I think he found like George Lee that the power is with just a few small members in the party... I agree with him about the pension, minimum wage, social welfare etc etc...

Ridiculous that a person here with no qualifications, doing nothing, gets 200 euro a week... In Latvia (another EU country), post IMF, teachers are paid 350 a MONTH... It's no wonder we have so many spongers coming here... And even some genuine Irish people dont want to lose the medical card for their families, so they dont take up a job... the system is ANTI-employment..

I CANNOT believe that Cowan is up in Donegal with all that is going on in the country...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

I wouldnt agree.. I think Jim McDaid is an honest guy with his flaws.. He certainly didnt go in to it for the power or the money, but I think he found like George Lee that the power is with just a few small members in the party... I agree with him about the pension, minimum wage, social welfare etc etc...

I think the guy is a lying hypocrite. Some years ago, while serving as a TD, he went back to medical school to renew his credentials, and since then has been openly running a busy GP practice. Listening to him waffle on about austerity makes my blood boil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

telekon wrote: »
    FFS listen to McDaid pontificating going on about his pension :rolleyes: He was largely absent from the dail, more interested in his medical career and was one of the last to give up his pension after much dispute. Oh and the motorway incident was hardly the behaviour of a minister of the state...

The man is a disgrace and now trying to repair his tarnished reputation. Yea, good luck with that.

Whats wrong with Donegal people voting in these cretins like mcdaid and coughlan :mad:

If that's what he's trying to do, the good news is he made a complete a**e of it. "Challenged" by Finucane on his Dail attendance record in the last two years, he said, without a hint of irony, that if he was the Chairman of a corporation that he was an employee of he would have sacked himself! So why did he take his salary in the first place?

Condemned by a texter for taking his salary while absent, he attempted to justify not turning up because the Dail had turned into a theatre. So he should have been paying to enter it, if it was only a place of entertainment!

No pun intended, but it was car crash radio. An object lesson in how not to do it. Could see A Savage using it on his coaching courses.

If you can face the at times vitrually sickening stream of self-glorification, it's well worth a listen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Ridiculous that a person here with no qualifications, doing nothing, gets 200 euro a week... In Latvia (another EU country), post IMF, teachers are paid 350 a MONTH... It's no wonder we have so many spongers coming here... And even some genuine Irish people dont want to lose the medical card for their families, so they dont take up a job... the system is ANTI-employment..

No, what is anti-employment is the fact that the economy is not creating jobs and will not be for the foreseeable future. Slashing the dole will not change this fact, whether we can afford to keep it at its current rate is another matter. Ireland spends less on state pensions as a percentage of GDP than any other OECD country. And immigration into the county has fallen off dramatically, spongers or otherwise.

Marian starts show by stating the sunday papers are dominated by Gerry Ryan.

Marian then reads out headline, "Rte stars close ranks on Gerry Ryan drugs story".

Marian spends less than 2 minutes on Gerry Ryan story before swiftly moving on.

Marian obviously one of the RTE stars "closing ranks". If it had been a prominent Irish footballer or politician, how long would they have spent on the story? A hell of a lot longer than 2 mins I would suspect.

Jokeshop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Were you honestly expecting anything more? I'd have been very surprised if this was given anything other than the perfunctory passing comment it got...

Today's papers (Sun.) were DOMINATED by this story.

Marion's programme on a Sunday is largely based on the Sunday newspaper content.

Total cop-out not to give it more time.Cowardly editor,cowardly producer and lily- livered presenter.

If it were some other person not connected with RTE this would have got major coverage...Katie French is an obvious example.

Further proof ,if any were needed, that RTE is an old boys and girls network, well able to dig the dirt on others but take care of their own in every respect.

Very very blatant, and an insult to the taxpayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Today's papers (Sun.) were DOMINATED by this story.

Marion's programme on a Sunday is largely based on the Sunday newspaper content.

Total cop-out not to give it more time.Cowardly editor,cowardly producer and lily- livered presenter.

If it were some other person not connected with RTE this would have got major coverage...Katie French is an obvious example.

Further proof ,if any were needed, that RTE is an old boys and girls network, well able to dig the dirt on others but take care of their own in every respect.

Very very blatant, and an insult to the taxpayer.

Couldent agree more, 100 per cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

I totally disagree. On Friday, the news at one went way over the top with this tabloid story. Then it was first item on drivetime.

I think Marion Finucane show is above that sort of tabloid coverage. They referred to it and moved on, the same way they would have done had it been anyone else. Its purient journalism at its worst, the indo giving so many pages to it yesterday was a joke and todays papers are just repeating everything we heard on Friday and read Saturday.

I think you are using this as yet another stick to beat your number one pet hate, RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭GSF

Derryleigh wrote: »
    I totally disagree. On Friday, the news at one went way over the top with this tabloid story. Then it was first item on drivetime.

I think Marion Finucane show is above that sort of tabloid coverage. They referred to it and moved on, the same way they would have done had it been anyone else. Its purient journalism at its worst, the indo giving so many pages to it yesterday was a joke and todays papers are just repeating everything we heard on Friday and read Saturday.

I think you are using this as yet another stick to beat your number one pet hate, RTE.

They have basically misled listeners though. They refused to report on elements of the story because they dont want to draw negative attention to RTE. Either she is a journalist or she is in RTEs corportate PR dept. There should be a difference.

PS Didn't Finnucane interview Ryan's partner post his death? Isn't part of that interview requiring a bit of further probing in light of the coroners report?

Sorry man, would agree with you if they were consistent.

Remember that word ...consistent.

That Katie French issue, she flogged it to death, intensive coverage.I remember it.

Not the same for Ryan which was arguably a much bigger story.

Bad show RTE, always looking after your own, cowardly production in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

Well I for one think that there is very little more to be probed. He took coke. He died. He left down his listeners and his family. What more do we need to know that is of public interest.

To me the lambasting of RTE is more to do with the culture which unfortunatley prevails in this country right now, whereby the people want to see blood for what has happened. Politicians, bankers and the semi state are the perfect vehicles from where people want that blood to flow. RTE included.

A few weeks ago people were lauighably getting up on their high horses about Vincent Browne, king self publicist being cut off while he went on a a meaningless rant against Cowen.

Like what is developing here in relatioin to Marian Finucane not devoting more time to this Dead story, (read todays papers, nothing new at all that was not in yesterday), the "LICENCE FEE PAYER" like the "TAXPAYER" is baying for blood and that sort of anger will only be allayed when one of three things happen

a Seanie Fitz is hanged publically
    b Brian Cowen is burned at the stake
    or
    c Pat Kenny has to move into a council house.

Please one of the above will happen soon so that the LICENCE FEE PAYER and the TAXPAYER can get back to being ordindary un-angry people again.

Well I for one think that there is very little more to be probed. He took coke. He died. He left down his listeners and his family. What more do we need to know that is of public interest.

To me the lambasting of RTE is more to do with the culture which unfortunatley prevails in this country right now, whereby the people want to see blood for what has happened. Politicians, bankers and the semi state are the perfect vehicles from where people want that blood to flow. RTE included.

A few weeks ago people were lauighably getting up on their high horses about Vincent Browne, king self publicist being cut off while he went on a a meaningless rant against Cowen.

Like what is developing here in relatioin to Marian Finucane not devoting more time to this Dead story, (read todays papers, nothing new at all that was not in yesterday), the "LICENCE FEE PAYER" like the "TAXPAYER" is baying for blood and that sort of anger will only be allayed when one of three things happen

or

Please one of the above will happen soon so that the LICENCE FEE PAYER and the TAXPAYER can get back to being ordindary un-angry people again.

Derry, I don't know where you are coming from but to say there is no more to be probed from the GR issue is ludicrous.
    Personally, I couldn't give Jack Schidt, but to say that there is no more public interest in the issue is plain wrong.

Have you ever considered the position of RTE being the champions of the ' little man' and all along the elephant is tramping around the room?

We have presenters being paid multiples ,I say again, multiples of politicians wages, and the same presenters are berating theses politicians,who ,and I'm no defender, work way way harder, and punch in far longer hours and are far more accountable than those who are pillorying them.

load of bollox Derry, bad call from RTE, bad day when the well paid well sinecured, well pensioned PSB bottled it,and bottled it big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭GSF

Well I for one think that there is very little more to be probed.
    According to reports he had been taking it for at least 16 years and it was a commonly known thing in certain RTE circles. For him to pontificate against drugs would be like a very well paid presenter advocating cuts in the wages for others whilst still sitting on their own outrageous salaries :rolleyes:

Cathal Murray did the same thing in his newspaper review earlier on, a few words of sympathy for the family and quickly moved on to the next story without giving the contributor a chance to comment. It looks like the decision was made higher up in RTE and not by the people directly involved in making either programme.

I doubt RTE's bosses wanted Finucane to expand on her previous comment that, days before he died, Ryan was "really, really very stressed about RTE and other things in his life".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Loose talk on RTE could prove every expensive given Ryan was well known within media for his love of marching powder. As employing someone who is a "drug fiend" runs counter to public service guidelines there is a HR manager somewhere within Montrose who knows some hard questions could be asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

The RTE stars are generally reluctant to discuss issues close to home... Like when marian's wages were all over the front pages of the Sunday newspapers... and she read out the headline and then immediately batted it to her contributors... who were all very reluctant to comment about her wages on HER show..

I do remember at the time that Katie French died, there was a lot of social commentary from RTE shows about the ills of recreational drug taking among the middle class... They had a tribute show to GR when he died, and they should at least be balanced enough to cover his drug use... It is of public interest that an Irish personality died from drug use, and if they considered it appropriate to cover Katie French's death in such detail, then they should do the same for Ryan, who was national star.... even if it is to highlight the dangers of taking cocaine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

or

I understand A & B, but what did Pat do to you.? Imo he's doing a very good job on Frontline

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I understand A & B, but what did Pat do to you.? Imo he's doing a very good job on Frontline

You obviousy didn't watch maybe the most biased current affairs show ever broadcast on Irish TV last Monday night.

Plus, a half-apology from good ol Pat on the radio the following morning!

You obviousy didn't watch maybe the most biased current affairs show ever broadcast on Irish TV last Monday night.

Plus, a half-apology from good ol Pat on the radio the following morning!

Yea, I wrote a complaint about that particular programme, bit of a mis-step by Pat who is generally fair and balanced.

Marion's finally talking about Gerry and his coke habit!! :eek::eek::eek:

You'll find last week was the time to talk about this Marion. :rolleyes:

What happened, management forced you to do it after all the negative RTE publicity??

Its similar to the AIB bonus situation, with the government finally clamping down on the them due to public pressure but too late to look like ye gave a sh*t in the first place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Missed it, any critical thinking or was it just a soft-soap?

• Advertisement

It was Fr. Brian D'arcy's, priest to the stars, take on things. Not especially interesting really.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement