Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Important changes at RapidShare.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

AntiRip wrote: »
    Sending my email to support@rapdishare.com right now
    :)

Good luck, you wont need it as ive gotten a refund hassle free and someone has already said everyone has a 4 week window from the new rules being announced to cancel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Some info on Hotfile though

1. If your links die then you will get an email from hotfile management notifying you about the dead links which was not there at RS.

2. Presence of an excellent file management system. Also one can create five copies of originally uploaded files, though all will have the same crc.

3. Never share your hotfile account. Not even with one person. They will ban you.

I share my RS account, so this is a problem :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

I self edited to be sure to be sure.

All I use my account is for downloading, i suppose its e9 cheaper than rs but thats not much good when you have to buy another account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

megaupload is also good no need for a premium and a single 800mb avi links can be found if you look in the right places.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Uh oh, you're are dead right. Couple of the BIG sites are now turning their backs on RS. I didn't think it would have so soon! Rapidshare have really screwed up here!
    One quote

Quote from another site:
    Due to the latest news and changes occurring with Rapidshare.com we are starting from right now, a Test Period of Multi Host Links.
    This Test Period does not have any timetable defined and can be ended at any time. This will serve mainly to obtain a better opinion of the quality of other host services available and also what our users like the most.

Don't buy your premium accounts too soon, this could be Blu-ray vs. HD DVD all over again :P

On a more serious note, have rapidshare just dug their own grave?
    If us on here strained to figure out the new system, how is the average user going to cope.

Note: Hotfile is only €7.18 p/m for Unlimited downloads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

Rapidshare, its not you its me.
    ok it is you.
    We're finished. Bye bye rapidshare account.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

3. Never share your hotfile account. Not even with one person. They will ban you.

(

This might be a issue for me. Not because I share my account but because I genuinely use between 3-5 machines across about seven different lines.

Does anyone else that use JDownloader have a problem with the "enable happy hours" ? When I enable the function it starts downloading after a few minutes ignoring the option.

Saying that, it is very good for the downloader if they schedule their downloads between 1am - 9am, effectively getting 10GB a day on Rapidsmall (4 rapids).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Is there a <snip> equivalent for <snip>? How good is it? :confused:
    I would remove that question fairly lively if I were you.
    Not allowed to post/ask about sites like that on Boards.

Read the Charter: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055681757

• Registered Users Posts: 28,748 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've been getting emails from RS for the last few days warning me that even though I haven't downloaded anything in days, my supply of "Rapids" is rapidly depleting and I'll need to buy more or all my files will be deleted (not that I have files.. it's the inability to download that affects me) - it actually reminds me of this:

:D

I will NOT be renewing.. Hotfile here I come!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They've updated their new offer again, admitting that pretty much everyone hated the new scheme. Once i figure out the changes, i'll decide if i'll renew or not.
    Rapidshare wrote:
    As a result of the recent adjustments to our product and pricing model we have received a lot of feedback from our users. There was also positive response but we want to be honest with you: most answers were negative. With our adjustments we have alienated many users. As a matter of course, that was not our intention. Instead, it is our goal to introduce a system that gives our users more flexibility. However, we are happy about every single user response that we have received as this is the only way we can learn what our users really want. That is the reason why we have fundamentally revised our offer one more time and made it much simpler.

In addition to the free Premium Accounts, with immediate effect there is only one package for everybody: RapidPro

For 99 Rapids users immediately receive a traffic volume of 30 GB and a storage volume of 10 GB which last for 30 days.

price/ 30 days storage/ 30 days traffic/ 30 days
    RapidPro 99 Rapids 10 GB 30 GB

If users need more volume, they can buy extra volume, of course. Each additional 1 GB of storage costs 2 Rapids per 30 days. 5 GB additional traffic volume will be charged with only 14 Rapids.

Additional storage: Additional traffic:
    1 GB = 2 Rapids/month 5 GB = 14 Rapids

Unused traffic volume does not expire.

The prices for Rapids remain the same as before.
    Prepaid funds
    400 Rapids 4,99 €
    1.000 Rapids 9,95 €
    2.000 Rapids 19,90 €
    5.000 Rapids 49,75 €
    20.000 Rapids 199,00 €

That means that users can use their RapidPro 30 days for only 99 Cent making the new RapidShare second to none also in terms of value for money.

Please note that users have the following options in their account settings:

* Keep files forever: This option is not activated in the default settings. This means that if users exceed their storage volume, files that have not been downloaded for 60 days will automatically be deleted.
    * Automatic purchase of traffic: This option is activated in the default settings. As soon as users reach the limit of their traffic volume, they will automatically buy additional volume.
    * Automatic RapidPro Extension: This option is activated in the default settings. RapidPro-Packages will automatically be extended after 30 days if the user still has Rapids left.

Users can change these settings at any time in their account settings.

We are convinced that we will meet our users' needs with the new and simple model.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

^^^ So for 50 Euro you can get 50 months of rapidshare 30gb download per month and each additional GB is 2 rapids.

Fuck sake just as i had calculated the difference for the old update iv to start again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,748 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Kiith wrote: »
    They've updated their new offer again, admitting that pretty much everyone hated the new scheme. Once i figure out the changes, i'll decide if i'll renew or not.

hmmm.. still not exactly clear.

I still fail to see what was wrong with the original system - €15 for 3 months with a 5GB traffic limit per day.. just queue the stuff up and forget about it.

I'll let someone else work out the maths of this new offer to see if it's any better now, but ultimately it'll depend on what the uploaders do, not the downloaders. THAT will determine the success or failure of their new payment model.

OK,

Its 99 rapids per month and you get 30gb's to download.

If you want more GB's then its 14 rapids per 5gb of downloads.

TBH its still shite, 30gbs per month is a joke, thats basically a GB a day. Dont think its going to change much tbh, it just favours the small downloaders even more now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Basically everyone pays 4 cent per GB. If you go beyond your 30GB in a month you just buy more traffic at about 3.5 cent per GB.

If you do your downloading during happy hours, it will cost 1/10th that.

Previously, it cost €55 for 1 years account, hence €4.60 per month. That got you 5GB per day, which could be carried over, so basically 150GB per month. Or about 3c per GB.

So its slightly more expensive for heavy downloaders. But light downloaders can get by on about €15 per year instead of the previous €55.

And of course happy hours still exists, so you can download 300GB per month for €1.25 if you schedule your downloads for 1am onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

its all bollox if ya ask me why they did not leave well enough alone.if i want some thing i download it there and then that is what i signed up for and paid for in the 1st place.fu1k that downloading at 1 am or having to que sh1te up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭techguy

And of course happy hours still exists, so you can download 300GB per month for €1.25 if you schedule your downloads for 1am onwards.

What timezone is this 1AM in?

Great post, thanks..

techguy wrote: »
    What timezone is this 1AM in?

Great post, thanks..
    Sorry, its officially 2AM - 10AM CET.

Which is 1AM -9AM Irish time. Most download managers can be scheduled to download stuff at a particular time and then shut down when they're finished.

Sorry, its officially 2AM - 10AM CET.

Which is 1AM -9AM Irish time. Most download managers can be scheduled to download stuff at a particular time and then shut down when they're finished.

Yep, even JDownloader has a "happy hour option" if you can get it to work :D

It's not bad at all for the light/occasional downloader but again, it all depends on the uploaders. There is still no incentive for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

So its slightly more expensive for heavy downloaders.

No, it isn't. :pac:

Old RS
    5GB/day x 365 = 1825GB/year for €55

Traffic accumulated up to a maximum of 25GB, anything more was wasted.

New RS
    30GB/month x 12 months for the basic RapidPro = 360GB/year for 1188 rapids

1825-360 = 1465GB "missing" when compared with Old RS

1465/5 = 293 blocks of additional traffic required (5GB per block)

293x14 = 4102 rapids (14 rapids per block of 5GB traffic)

1188+4102 = 5290 rapids/year for 1825GB traffic

5290 = 5000 + 400 rapids = €49.75 + €4.99 = €54.74

You'll have 110 rapids left over from this purchase, which you can use to buy another 7 blocks of 5GB traffic (35GB) so for €54.74 per year you can get 1860GB traffic/year instead of €54.99 for 1825GB/year

Traffic also has no accumulation limit because you're buying traffic with rapids when you need it, not getting it on a daily basis.

Edit

I should add that I'm happy to keep my account with Rapidshare given these changes. I now have a bigger incentive to utilise Happy Hours to keep my own costs down, traffic doesn't disappear (I get what I pay for) and it doesn't require Micromanagement of any sort. Given my usage I could be looking at €30/year instead of €55. If the uploaders will stay then I'm happy out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

if all the uploaders are gone to hotfile megaupload or what ever theres no point in having a rs account

No, it isn't. :pac:

Thanks, i was rounding things off and making 1 month = 30 days assumptions etc. I was hoping someone would double-check the figures for me :D

oh so its actually cheaper... Hazahhhhh!!!

Thanks, i was rounding things off and making 1 month = 30 days assumptions etc. I was hoping someone would double-check the figures for me :D

Let me just put on my nerd shades :cool: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Still no incentive for uploaders though, which maybe the real downfall of rapidshare with these changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I had to laugh when I saw the RS email with the new TOS.

Due to some negative feedback.... who would have guessed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭budhabob

I'll give it a wee bit of time but at least they've listened to feedback and made some attempt to improve. But as said above,if uploaders jump ship then these changes will be pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

So now my 500 rapids will last me 5 months. My account was due to expire next week. 30GB/month is plenty for me as long as I can do 5 on 1 day and none for a week etc... which I can. These changes are excellent except that now there will be no uploaders to put files up so it really changes nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

These changes have extended the length of my premium account which was due to end in a month, so I'm quite happy as long as there are RS links, which I have not seen a drastic reduction in just yet.

• Advertisement

NothingMan wrote: »
    30GB/month is plenty for me as long as I can do 5 on 1 day and none for a week etc... which I can.

If you take advantage of scheduling downloads during Happy Hours (1am-9am Irish Time) then you can get 300GB/month and don't have to restrict yourself to 1 day downloading, 4 days no-downloading :)

Advertisement