Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Important changes at RapidShare.com

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

From what I can tell and I am by no means 100% certain this actually works out better for me long term as I can be idle for ages and than download a big pile of stuff at once. The whole micromanaging thing is rather annoying.
    I still don't quite get they changed such a simple system to something much more confusing; it's bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Any one know how to stop it from automatically upgrading you to the higher package if you go over your current allowance??

And I never knew about this happy hour thing, guess I better start taking advantage of that, but I sleep in the same room as my PC and its loud :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

cooker3 wrote: »
    From what I can tell and I am by no means 100% certain this actually works out better for me long term as I can be idle for ages and than download a big pile of stuff at once.

No, because your traffic allowance does not accumulate anymore - not even up to the old 25GB limit. If you leave unused traffic on a particular day it is gone the next day. I didn't download anything from RS yesterday, and since the tick-over happened at 00:00 CET (23:00, or 3 hours ago) I fully expected my traffic to be 10GB - 5GB unused from yesterday and 5GB today. But oh no, it's only 5GB.

Use it or lose it ...and more often than not I'll be losing it. So long RS.
    Hi there,

I wish to cancel my Rapidshare account effective immediately as per your Terms and Conditions. I would like a pro-rata refund for the unused time left on my premium account AND the unused traffic from TrafficShare from the date of this email. If I receive no reply by Friday evening I will open a Paypal dispute. I believe this timeframe to be sufficient because previously when my Rapidshare account was phished the response-time from Rapidshare support was less than 1 hour. The Terms and Conditions have changed significantly between the time I signed up and now, and I no longer agree to these terms.

My main points of contention are:
    1 - There is no way to prevent automatically upgrading your package when you exceed your allowance. On the old Rapidshare when you ran out of traffic you couldn't download any more. This is the way I liked it.
    2 - Unused traffic no longer accumulates. I did not download anything from RS yesterday, I expected to have 10GB traffic today (5GB for Today and the 5GB unused from yesterday). I do not have 10GB, I have 5GB. It appears yesterdays traffic is gone, despite me being charged for it.

I await your response.

Auto-response:
    Hello,

Due to the large amount of support requests, your answer will unfortunately be delayed.

Please note that every e-mail will be answered as soon as possible.
    If your issue is dependent on a swift resolution, please contact us by phone.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Support Team

The 'large' amount of support requests is 3000 tickets in 3 days by the way. My first email to support after the changes was 2am 3 days ago, and it's ticket ID is ~3000 lower than the one I just sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

jeez, iv only just found out about this nonsense!
    wont be renewing!

bye bye rapidshare!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

cooker3 wrote: »
    From what I can tell and I am by no means 100% certain this actually works out better for me long term as I can be idle for ages and than download a big pile of stuff at once. The whole micromanaging thing is rather annoying.
    I still don't quite get they changed such a simple system to something much more confusing; it's bizarre.

Yeah, it might actually work out quite well for me.
    I had around 2 weeks left on my account, but I've now got 594 rapids, which by my calculations will last for 148 days if I limit myself to 1GB a day (easily done really), or I'll get 20 rapids taken off if I go on a bit of a splurge...
    I'm frequently up at this time (<7am), so can easily make use of the happy hour as well.

Not too happy about how confusing this is, but I might actually end up staying with them!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

They've also made it in a way that if you had a couple of people using the same account, you could use up your account more quickly. For example last night my other half downloaded something for herself and now I'm up to Rapidmedium. I changed it back but it doesn't take affect until the following day. So if I don't use the extra 4GB today it's wasted. :mad:

Now I have to think of something to download :)

tman wrote: »
    Yeah, it might actually work out quite well for me.
    I had around 2 weeks left on my account, but I've now got 594 rapids, which by my calculations will last for 148 days if I limit myself to 1GB a day (easily done really), or I'll get 20 rapids taken off if I go on a bit of a splurge...
    I'm frequently up at this time (<7am), so can easily make use of the happy hour as well.

Not too happy about how confusing this is, but I might actually end up staying with them!:eek:

Works out well for the small downloader <1GB at the moment but very bad for uploaders. So overtime it will be bad for everyone as the content will reduce overtime.

The main thing here really isn't us the downloaders being confused or shafted but the uploaders. Without them (as it is becoming evident from the big warez sites) what good is it having an account when you can't get what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

Hello,

thank you for your e-mail.

Adapting to your daily need of download traffic and storage you are able to
    choose between different “hosting packages” which can be bought
    through Rapids. You can change your hosting packages concerning to your needed
    download traffic and saved storage. With this new system you can profit the
    best and save money by choosing the hosting packages that suit you the best.

Example:
    Rapid Small has 1 GB of Downloadtraffic and 10 GB of saved storage
    Rapid Medium has 5 GB of Downloadtraffic and 50 GB of saved storage.

You have received 20 Rapids for every day of your accounts runtime and 5
    Rapids for every additional GB of TrafficShare. With Rapids you are able to
    buy different hosting packages and therefore profit.

So if you do not use more than 1GB a particular day you run with RapidSmall
    and once you need a bigger package in this very same day or any other time you
    are able to upgrade it to RapidMedium whenever you want.

There are no major changes concerning your regular usage in up- and
    downloading through RapidShare.

Please reply to confirm if you still wish to cancel the account ....... since
    we cannot run your account under the old conditions.

You would receive a refund-offer from our payment department after your
    confirmation.

Best regards,

Denny
    RapidShare Support

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

I just got that now and replied with a yes id still like to cancel it. It makes no sense to me and rather than trying to turn that into English or debate it, I replied short a sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 murph57

I have a Rapidshare account at the moment but won't be renewing, sent an email to let them know. I will actually be running down the account as quickly as possible. The reason for this is, now that Rapidshare are charging the uploaders for storage and most prominent uploaders on forums in my guesstamation would have lot more than 50Gb storage they will now be using their "rapids" (stupid name) up much quicker than under the old pricing scheme. This, together with Rapidshare doing away with the reward scheme for uploaders, imo uploaders will be deleting their files and moving elsewhere.
    Therefore if you think that by using under 1Gb per day actually suits you, thats fine coz there will be nothing left on Rapidshare to download. Give it a few weeks and I'm sure you will see less rapidshare links. Get what you can now before the uploaders remove their files. What do other people think??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

murph57 wrote: »
    I have a Rapidshare account at the moment but won't be renewing, sent an email to let them know. I will actually be running down the account as quickly as possible. The reason for this is, now that Rapidshare are charging the uploaders for storage and most prominent uploaders on forums in my guesstamation would have lot more than 50Gb storage they will now be using their "rapids" (stupid name) up much quicker than under the old pricing scheme.

Incorrect. The accounts (RapidSmall, Medium etc) have limits on secure storage - ie storage that will not be deleted, even after 60 days of inactivity.

There is no limit on unsecured storage. There is no change in this regard, they have had file deletion after 60 days of inactivity (no downloads) for some time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

my-brain-hurts.jpg

Seriously.... :confused:

Are they trying to divide by zero?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 murph57

As Voodu Child pointed out
    Incorrect. The accounts (RapidSmall, Medium etc) have limits on secure storage - ie storage that will not be deleted, even after 60 days of inactivity.
    I stand corrected :D I still think there will be a mass exodus due to the other factors in my post. I have looked at other forums and besides a lot of people trying to get their heads around what the changes actually mean for them, there's a lot of pissed off users out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

got an email from rapidshafting every one now cos they are greedy pricks.com saying that they are changing my collectors account to a prem account log in to the new account expecting to see the files i had up loaded
    they are all gone they eithere deleted them or there was a **** up.the free account was where i kept my ahem naughty stuff and the ****ers have deleted it

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm still confused :confused:

They can't take any more money from me without my consent, right? Cause i was paying month by month, with no recurring payments. No way i'm paying for something when they intentionally make it this complicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mr_Cheech

Just got this one today:
    Dear customer #1498####,

you have a paid Premium Account at RapidShare.com. We have detected that your
    Rapids are nearly depleted. Please make sure to purchase additional Rapids
    if you do not want to lose your (inactive) files stored on RapidShare.

Based on our calculations, your Rapids will be empty in 4.25 days.

To solve this problem, please visit #############

If you need assistance, do not hesitate to contact us by e-mail or telephone.

--
    Best regards

RapidShare Account Expiry Watchdog
    which makes me think they can't auto-charge you if your stup!d rapids run out.
    Perhaps they'll just downgrade me to some sort of collectors account or a premium with no traffic (which makes no sense to me). We'll see how things turn out in '4.25 days'...

IMHO a solution to to a big problem that me an others seem to have here could be that you should be able to choose whether your status (ie RapidSmall) will automatically go down to the basis after haveing been auto-upgraded when you exceeded your traffic. This would at least leave you with a choice there.

They also still haven't updated their page or provided any further official explainations, have they?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭theothers108

Guys i think i have figured this new system out and the best way to use it . First of all im on satellite broadband so i have unlimited usage from 12pm-8am.Now i only heard of these "happy hours" recently that rapidshare that count 10% of your traffic 2AM-10AM CET, so for example download 6 gigs use takes 600 mbs away from your traffic. So my setup i use rapidsmall leave my downloader on all night ,download maybe 7,8,9 gigs nothing more uses 700,800,900 mb of traffic.I mean its mental i have 746 rapids meaning if i go by system i get another 186 days for which i paid €20 for 3 months about a month ago .Savage way what do ya think

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm still confused :confused:

They can't take any more money from me without my consent, right? Cause i was paying month by month, with no recurring payments. No way i'm paying for something when they intentionally make it this complicated.

Of course they can't take money without your consent. How would they? :confused:

You previously paid for a month or whatever, and now your days left (and trafficshare, Rapidpoints etc) have been converted to Rapids. I got about 1000 Rapids because I had a month left and rakes of trafficshare.

So now, you'll have 4 Rapids deducted from your account daily and when you get to zero you can't use it to download any more. If you go over 1GB a day (or 10GB during happy hours) your account will automatically get bumped up to RapidMedium (5GB per day or 50GB during happy hours) and it'll cost you 20 Rapids per day. You'll have to manually set it back to RapidSmall or it'll continue to keep you on RapidMedium.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When sites that were once dedicated to rapidshare links, change domain names, you know it's serious.

Going to give newsgroups some serious thought. Are there any forums "discussing" newsgroups?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

the_syco wrote: »
    When sites that were once dedicated to rapidshare links, change domain names, you know it's serious.

Going to give newsgroups some serious thought. Are there any forums "discussing" newsgroups?

I was talking to a friend who has a download site and this was their comments
    My personal opinion is they have made a major cock up with these new changes, i really cant see many uploaders using RS anymore. It is going to cost uploaders now money to use rapidshare and the more storage you use the more its going to cost you. One of the positive things was the points system which allowed uploaders like myself to have free accounts to upload to. Once uploaders stop uploading to rapidshare then there wont be anything to download so therefore rapidshare will lose there income from this section of their customers. It looks like these changes are directly aimed at uploaders and it makes me wonder if it has anything to do with the court rulings they have just had in California in the last few weeks. Eeven though they won their case they were told to work closer with a company to eliminate copyright material.

***** and myself have looked round most of the other file host and all have one major problem or another so we do not want to commit to a new file host currently. It looks like everything has kicked off on some of the bigger sites with these effects now taking place in rapidshare.

***** has been using newsgroups for a few years and has always sworn by them but I have never had anything to do with them preferring to use torrents to download. Over the last 24 hours I have opened an account and started uploading to them as well as you can see some of the newer things have both rs links and a newsgroup link. It looks like the newsgroups is the way to go as they have links stored for 600 days and depending on your account you choose you can download either a fixed amount or completely unlimited. For the $11 a month you can download is actually unlimited so you can download whatever you connection speed will allow.

When things are finalised we will certainly be letting our members know what we think the best way to go is.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

Only the incentive to upload to RS is gone. Storage is still free, but not "secure" because after 60 days no download the file will be removed. "Secure" storage content is never deleted.

If you want all your files to be secure storage it's gonna cost you more as your data usage grows, but why waste money on secure storage when about 80% of Rapidshare's files are copyrighted?

Is Happy Hour still active?
    What are the times (Irish)?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

New system is confusing as hell, does unused traffic not transfer over to the next day anymore?

AntiRip wrote: »
    Is Happy Hour still active?
    What are the times (Irish)?
    Thanks

Yes. 2am to 10am CET. They're an hour ahead of us ..so thats 1am onwards.

New system is confusing as hell, does unused traffic not transfer over to the next day anymore?

No, it does not.

They are making some progress with the new system - now at the start of the billing cycle (once per day in other words), your package can be downgraded to the lowest package you specify. You can also specify a maximum package, after you exceed the bandwidth for a package you will be upgraded one package at a to to the maximum package you specify.

In other words, if you set the lowest package to RapidSmall, and the max package to Rapidmedium you kind of get the best of both worlds - at the start of the day you're dropped to the lowest package, 1GB of traffic. If you use it up during the day you'll get upgraded to RapidMedium and get another 4GB of traffic (5GB total - 1GB used = 4GB left). If you use up that 4GB you can't download any more. Just like the old premium accounts. However, if you don't use the 1GB you have saved 16 credits. Likewise, you don't have to remember to downgrade anymore, it'll be done automatically.

If they fix up the unused traffic accumulation issue I'll hold off on cancelling for now and see how it goes for the next 2 weeks or so - you do have 4 weeks to cancel from the date of the change. I don't want to upgrade to RapidMedium, leave 3GB unused and have it disappear on me at the end of the day - I paid for the 5GB, leave me with what I have left over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mr_Cheech

No, it does not.

They are making some progress with the new system - now at the start of the billing cycle (once per day in other words), your package can be downgraded to the lowest package you specify. You can also specify a maximum package, after you exceed the bandwidth for a package you will be upgraded one package at a to to the maximum package you specify.

That's what I meant earlier. Good news everyone! Thanks for this information TouchingVirus!

Still the problem with the wasted traffic...

I had 200mb left this evening and now it says I've 5000mb traffic left again :confused:

AntiRip wrote: »
    I had 200mb left this evening and now it says I've 5000mb traffic left again :confused:
    Probably something about the changes they made today:

Our customers can now benefit from an automatic package downgrade according to their wishes. Furthermore, an upgrade will postpone the next billing so it only takes place after 24 hours. Customers can check their status and the time of the next billing in the Premium Zone. Due to the change, we only charge half the price in today's billing cycle.

So they've reset the limit or something.

Probably something about the changes they made today:

Our customers can now benefit from an automatic package downgrade according to their wishes. Furthermore, an upgrade will postpone the next billing so it only takes place after 24 hours. Customers can check their status and the time of the next billing in the Premium Zone. Due to the change, we only charge half the price in today's billing cycle.

So they've reset the limit or something.

Probably. Time to turn on flashget again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

wow, it looks like commercial suicide.

Advertisement