Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Important changes at RapidShare.com

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

This new system is a load of shít. i had 40gb of music uploaded & I never really download anymore...
    so im on the medium system, which is ****.
    so what happens if i change it to the small one, do they delete my content down to 10gb?
    also I have 30k free rapidpoint.. to extend my account I need premium rapid points too,
    i've extended what I can, but I have 30k free rapids left.. so what can I do before they expire?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

only 10GB of those files will be "secure" storage, as in never deleted. The other 30GB fall under the 60-day rule AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I love you RS
    Sehr geehrte(r) calex71,

da Sie entweder Ihr Storage-Volumen von 10 GB oder Ihr tägliches Traffic-Guthaben von 1GB überschritten haben, wurden Sie automatisch von RapidSmall in RapidMedium upgegraded. Mit RapidMedium verfügen Sie nun über ein Storage von 50GB und ein tägliches Traffic-Guthaben von 5 GB. Zusätzlich haben Sie nun mit dem Feature Ordnerverwaltung die Möglichkeit, eigene Ordner und Unterordner für Ihre Dateien anzulegen. Ihre Ordner gehen im Falle eines späteren Downgrades nicht verloren. Die Kosten für RapidMedium liegen bei 20 Rapids pro Tag.

Vielen Dank, dass Sie RapidShare nutzen. Wir hoffen, dass Sie mit unserem Angebot zufrieden sind.

Viele Grüße

Ihr RapidShare-Team

Thats what you get when you exceed the package limits, Vielen Dank rapidshare.

Anyway to make things simpler they have allowed us to set a min and max package hooah!!!! :mad:

to make us even more confused this has appeared on site
    More options for Hosting Packages

July 01, 2010
    RapidShare has added another option to its new product model: Our customers can now benefit from an automatic package downgrade according to their wishes. Furthermore, an upgrade will postpone the next billing so it only takes place after 24 hours. Customers can check their status and the time of the next billing in the Premium Zone. Due to the change, we only charge half the price in today's billing cycle.

In order to control their expenses, users can also select a minimum and a maximum package they wish to use. The minimum package makes sure which features will always be available, while the maximum package defines which limits should not be exceeded. Thus, users can not be upgraded to a package which would cause unwanted costs.

Now I had an easier time with the german email than i did this, what cock they have made of things :mad:

Edit: also wtf is this - under settings " Do not show the download warning while using the RSMediaPlayer" do they charge you rapids for using the sh!tty radio thing in the bottom right ???? Cheeky £$%&'sDO NOT PRESS PLAY

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I'm more confused now than ever!

What a total fcuk up of of what was a straight forward system. Bye bye Rapidshare.
    Soon to be history...

Biggins wrote: »
    I'm more confused now than ever!

I set the min and max to the 1gb one, so now ill just get nothing when I try to dl +1gb and dad tries to get stuff back up at home as we share the account, meaning we will need to check with the other "how much did you dl today" or a text to say "can you up the limit I can't dl" . what a pain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kasor

You know what's a major f*ck you from rapidshare .

for most downloaders 5GB/day is too little, and when you exceed it you have to get 20GB/day which is much more than you need . f*cking 15GB difference .
    unless they add a 10GB/day option, Sayanora rapidshare smiley_dualfinger.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Where do you set the min and max? Do you have to unlock your account first?

Skittle wrote: »
    Where do you set the min and max? Do you have to unlock your account first?

Under the section called settings in the premium zone

calex71 wrote: »
    I set the min and max to the 1gb one, so now ill just get nothing when I try to dl +1gb and dad tries to get stuff back up at home as we share the account, meaning we will need to check with the other "how much did you dl today" or a text to say "can you up the limit I can't dl" . what a pain.

So set the min to the 1GB package, and max to the 5GB package, it'll roll over to the 5GB package when you exceed the 1GB one. What did you and your dad do in the premium account days? You only had 5GB then so you'd still have to check what the other person downloaded or else you'd exceed 5GB and be unable to download too.

And the bit about your billing cycle resetting is another improvement. After you upgrade your package because you exceed your download allowance (or just upgrade it manually), you have 24 hours to use up that traffic. Before, when everybody has their accounts reset at the same time (23:00 IST) if you went over your limit at 22:59, you would move up to the next package and have one minute to use up the traffic gained by the upgrade. After that minute was up, the traffic you had left was discarded and you were charged AGAIN for that upgraded package.

Example Scenario
    So you get charged 4 credits at 23:00 on Monday, at 22:55 on Tuesday you exceed your 1GB limit and get upgraded, costing you 16 credits but gaining 4GB of traffic. At 23:00 on Tuesday your traffic left is discarded, you are charged 20 credits because you're on RapidMedium - a collosal waste of credits. Now, after every upgrade, you have 24 hours to use your traffic.

The billing cycle will be forever changing if you're auto-upgrading and auto-downgrading, which is why they added in a counter under settings that details how long you have left in your billing cycle.

It's an all right system but I can't help but get the feeling that they implemented this change to not have to reinstate the unused traffic accumulation. After all, if unused traffic carried over, it wouldn't matter if you upgraded at 2pm in the day or 22:59:59 and everybody's billing cycle would still be 23:00 (00:00 CET)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Email just received, they are refunding me €48 as I have used the account for around a month. It is funny in each email they ask am I sure or do I still want to cancel/get a refund.

• Advertisement

Refund gone into my paypal as we speak.
    They are organised and fast with the refund, I know they told people they could cancel but still they could have delayed it or messed people around.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Only the incentive to upload to RS is gone. Storage is still free, but not "secure" because after 60 days no download the file will be removed. "Secure" storage content is never deleted.
    There are a few lads with 220GB's of Linux ISOs on their RS accounts. Either delete all except 10GB's, or pay through their noses. I foresee them leaving RS, and when they do, everyone will leave, as there won't be anything left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

the_syco wrote: »
    There are a few lads with 220GB's of Linux ISOs on their RS accounts. Either delete all except 10GB's, or pay through their noses. I foresee them leaving RS, and when they do, everyone will leave, as there won't be anything left.

It was already RS policy to delete files after 60 days activity before this change. Anybody with 220GB of Linux ISOs would've had them deleted after 60 days inactivity before the changes.

So your point is irrelevant. Nothing has changed in that regard, except now they have the option to secure them (for a cost) whereas previously they didnt. It means that people genuinely using RS to back up personal files can pay to keep them secure, whereas for other types of uploader the situation remains the same as before.

And anyone whining about having to pay for 220GB of secure storage is an idiot. There's no file host on the planet that'll store 220GB of inactive files for you free of charge. They'd wind up with Petabytes of junk/forgotten files.

220GB of active files in their account. Suddenly they can't keep them. They can't (or no-one knows a way to) move the files to a collectors account, so this means they'll delete the files. There's also no longer an incentive to upload the files, so why bother?

Collectors accounts do not exist any more.

I doubt the files will be deleted, they'll just become "insecure" and liable to deletion after 60 days of no downloading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dizzy_davidh

I don't plan to re-new my account with Rapidshare because of the farcical new system but I do intend to make the most of the time I have left but with that in mind;

For the benefit of those of you who may use JDownloader...

The latest update (run an update in the app if you haven't got it set to auto-update - no need to download and install the latest full package) has features to support the auto-management of Rapidshare Premium usage levels in the same way that the RapidShare.com site does in that it can be set to a maximum level to upgrade your account to and to downgrade you on a daily basis. It is even set to prompt you by default if you wish to upgrade your usage level when needed (can be disabled).

One thing I have found though is that it doesn't recognise the 'Happy Hours' when calculating if you need to upgrade your usage level or not but I'm sure they'll fix that soon enough.

There is also a video presentation of the new RapidShare support features (also available on the JDownloader site);

220GB of active files in their account. Suddenly they can't keep them. They can't (or no-one knows a way to) move the files to a collectors account, so this means they'll delete the files. There's also no longer an incentive to upload the files, so why bother?

Why can't they keep their files all of a sudden? You think they only have 10GB storage right?

Why can't they keep their files all of a sudden? You think they only have 10GB storage right?
    Because Rapidshare tells them that they have gone to RapidSuperBig, which take 78 Rapids a day. Instead of having a collectors account, which would allow them to upload files, and get points for people downloading them, they now would have to pay 78 Rapids just to keep the files there. Thus, they delete content so that their Rapids last for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

emailed rapidshare last night AGAIN asking them to cancel my account and a refund hopefully they will get back to me by monday everyone should do the same and move over to hotfile there is no major uploads to rs now because of this a few old links are still alive tho its all gone hotfile

Because Rapidshare tells them that they have gone to RapidSuperBig, which take 78 Rapids a day. Instead of having a collectors account, which would allow them to upload files, and get points for people downloading them, they now would have to pay 78 Rapids just to keep the files there. Thus, they delete content so that their Rapids last for a while.

Not correct. You don't need to spend 78 Rapids a day to store 200GB. You can store as much as you like on RapidSmall (4 Rapids a day). Just tick a box to say you don't need secure storage and you won't be upgraded. Storage was never secure before so it makes no difference.

Is it too much to ask to read up on the facts before criticising? Half the people jumping on the bandwagon have never uploaded anything in their life, and don't understand the old system let alone the new one.

• Advertisement

You can store as much as you like on RapidSmall (4 Rapids a day). Just tick a box to say you don't need secure storage and you won't be upgraded.
    Excellent. Could you tell me where I could find this box, so that I could tell others?

Anyhoos, as there's no longer collector accounts, and thus no benefit to those who upload, people are going to slowly find less Linux ISO's to download, and go elsewhere. Unfortunately, the others won't protect you as much as RS, and thus many uploaders have not really migrated anywhere.

I'd say most people will immigrate to hotfile, as their upload/download benefits seem to be half decent.

Excellent. Could you tell me where I could find this box, so that I could tell others?
    It's the second tickbox down in your settings. "Automatically delete inactive files (after 60 days without a download). This option allows you to exceed your storage without upgrading to a bigger hosting package."

While your there you can also set your max and min package. The maximum package will stop you from being upgraded higher than you want - if you download too much it'll just stop you from downloading. The minimum package is what you'll start every day at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

what email address do i use to request a cancelation and refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Hogzy wrote: »
    what email address do i use to request a cancelation and refund?

I think someone mentioned earlier in this thread that support@rapidshare.com is the email addressed they used to successfully cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Well, its off to Depositfiles me thinks, or is there better.

Megaupload perhaps?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Got my account cancelled just there, got €6 which is not bad considering the account would have been running out shortly anyways, as mentioned you use the support@rapidshare.com and fair play to them they are quick and efficient to deal with, switched to hotfile now and no complaints so far :)

Nick

Yes its support@rapdishare.com and I went with hotfile, thats where all the files are being hosted now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

jeffk wrote: »
    Yes its support@rapdishare.com and I went with hotfile, thats where all the files are being hosted now.

Uh oh, you're are dead right. Couple of the BIG sites are now turning their backs on RS. I didn't think it would have so soon! Rapidshare have really screwed up here!

One quote
    Due to the recent change (for the umpteenth time) in RapidShare's policy, our uploaders are no longer able to remote upload from this host and therefore mirrors will not directly be provided at this moment.

Please note that there might be a delay in distributing links to the following hosts:

MegaUpload
    Netload
    Uploading
    Storage

Hotfile links are already being provided by some of our encoders and will most likely become the new ****** standard, though this is not 100% certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Sending my email to support@rapdishare.com right now
    :)

• Advertisement

One of the main ones have them as standard, also I was downloading a 1.5GB rar in a single hf link(Im threading carefully as I dont wanna breach rules)

Advertisement