Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen Elizabeth II to visit Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Politics and administration have EVERYTHING to do with day to day life and its quality. Whether it be through taxes and what not, or a simple sense of freedom that thousands in the 6 counties crave.
    For example, thousands of posters have called for FFs heads, but by your logic, it doesn't really mater does it?

Sorry but youve still havent explained how it would CHANGE LIFES. If this was the mid 90s maybe I would agree with you.

Anyway back to the topic at hand.

My main question mainly comes down to this:

If this can happen:

paisleymcguinepa_468x278.jpg

Why can’t the Queen visit Ireland? Are there really some people that are that much nostalgic for the 70’s? I honestly think there is a sizable group of people who would prefer for a return of the troubles than peace and reconciliation. Otherwise I dont understand the mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

As I said earlier, if she comes here in a reconciliatory manner and her visit has some sort of aim rather than "Oh look, Old woman Windsor is here" then it may be a good thing. Otherwise it is a waste of everyones time and money.
    Well, if one wants to see a return to the hey day of the troubles now that violence is no longer an unfortunate necessity then they have issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

why would it? Ireland was only ever unified under british rule. before that it was a patchwork of different administrations, usually beating the crap out of one another, don't forget it was an irishman that invited the anglo-normans in. So what makes you think a unified ireland is an inevitability or the natural way it should be.

As was the case in many modern European nation states.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Jaap

I don't see what the fuss is all about...and why this thread was started!!! :confused:
    I remember a few years ago there was all this talk of "God Save The Queen" being played at Croke Park at a rugby international...would anybody boo etc.!!!
    The only protest was a few men and a dog outside the stadium...Ireland supporters clapped after the English anthem was played!!!
    People have moved on...except for those with serious issues!!!
    Maybe those people need to get a bit more fresh air...especially with the good weather...instead of posting gibberish on here!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Good news i think and what an historic visit it would be ill take my wife and 2 kids to see her

For me as an irishman actully seeing the queen of england visitng ireland will be a 'man walking on the moon' moment it's something i thought id never see

• Advertisement

luckyfrank wrote: »
    Good news i think and what an historic visit it would be ill take my wife and 2 kids to see her

For me as an irishman actully seeing the queen of england visitng ireland will be a 'man walking on the moon' moment it's something i thought id never see

Wow, you really know how to treat a woman.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

For the simple fact she is nobody and nothing to me,i would prefer if we didn't roll out red carpet to her,i wouldn't roll it out for one if we had one,so certainly against not wasting their tax payers money and in middle of recession they are also and our money, wining and dining some old fogey :rolleyes:
    God i am so sick of people kissing their butts and making like they are someone important when all they are is blood and guts like rest of us.Its like movie stars and politicians.Its a job nothing more.I would much rather see them roll out a parade and red carpet for fire fighters and sea and air rescue etc......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    You must be blind if you cannot see why nationalists will be happy when unification occurs. What will change? For Gods sake man, thats very obvious to be honest. For one nationalists will no longer be under the thumb of a foreign government, the BA will be gone forever, etc etc
    It will be fun to watch if and when a UI does happen just to see how little difference it will make to anything or anybody :). It certainly won't make anything better for anyone (apart from the British taxpayer who will be up several billion per annum on the whole deal). The best we can hope for is that it won't make things significantly worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Maybe while she is here and apologising Prince Philip could get an apology for the murder of his uncle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

prinz wrote: »
    Maybe while she is here and apologising Prince Philip could get an apology for the murder of his uncle?

Prinz with all due respect they as a government and a monarchy murdered Irish people etc...
    But IRA committed that murder.Irish government nor military had nothing to do with that so sorry is not needed.Only ones who should be saying sorry is the IRA.

• Advertisement

caseyann wrote: »
    Only ones who should be saying sorry is the IRA.

That's who I meant. You'll find it's the usual 'RA heads who'll pop up demanding the Queen apologise for x, y and z.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Don't forget the 14 and 15 old kids that were also murdered on the boat along with an 82 year old grandmother - another great blow against the wicked English. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Knarr

She should not be welcomed. She represents a state which has invaded and occupied two countries in recent history, and which has slaughtered thousands in the process, polluting their water and land and destroying their homes.

Unless there is consequence to the barbarous actions undertaken by rougue states such as Israel, the UK and the USA then their actions will continue.

Symbolically it is disgusting that a representative from a murderous warmongering state such as the UK be allowed set foot on this island. The only island the likes of her should set foot on is spike island. Behind bars.

Knarr wrote: »
    Symbolically it is disgusting that a representative from a murderous warmongering state such as the UK be allowed set foot on this island. The only island the likes of her should set foot on is spike island. Behind bars.

Did you object to the recent visit by the Foreign Minister IIRC of Iran?

Did you object to the recent visit by the Foreign Minister IIRC of Iran?

No. I am not aware of any countries they are currently occupying, or have invaded, within recent history. Besides, we should also oppose states who maintain WMDs, the UK being one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 supersportq

Can we keep John Bruton locked under the stairs ?

No. I am not aware of any countries they are currently occupying, or have invaded. Besides, we should also oppose states who maintain WMDs, the UK being one.

Iranian "occupation" of Kurdistan doesn't count no? Not to mention say the execution of teenage girls for being sexually abused etc. Nah we can over look that sort of thing.

Iranian "occupation" of Kurdistan doesn't count no? Not to mention say the execution of teenage girls for being sexually abused etc. Nah we can over look that sort of thing.

Oh it is. But its not recognised internationally. When discussing with you lot its important to stay conventional.

Clearly you are well capable of 'over looking that sort of thing' welcoming the Queen - wars, occupations and such.

Silly mexample. By your logic Spain is occupying Catalonia is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Historical justification and impetus Irish independence was driven by the desire for civil rights and the resentment against those who denied those civil rights. Had there been equality the population would have been content, and there would have been no violent clamour for independence, as in the cases of Wales and Scotland.

Today civil rights has been achieved for all no matter the side of the line on which one sits. The fire that stoked the drive for independence has been put out. All that remains are historical vestiges, held now only by an ever smaller minority.

Nationalism itself is vacant, it only serves as a means to an end, a tool to right a perceived wrong, both real and imaginary.

Yes, the Queen as a representative of the people of the UK should be welcomed to our shores.

• Advertisement

Silly mexample. By your logic Spain is occupying Catalonia is it?

That's not my logic. That is however the logic espoused by the cretins who would complain about a visit by the Queen.

Oh it is. But its not recognised internationally..

But you have no problem with an Iranian representative coming here though? :confused: Why the double standard?

That's not my logic. That is however the logic espoused by the cretins who would complain about a visit by the Queen.

I oppose her as a representative of a murderous, occupying and war mongering state.

That alone is justification.

But you have no problem with an Iranian representative coming here though? :confused: Why the double standard?

There is no double standard using conventional reason. Iraq and Afghanistan were sovereign independent states recognised internationally - and one of which the UK invaded illegally.

Double standard? :confused:

What a bizzare thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

She should be welcomed. Her country provided a place for countless Irish people to find work, something that sadly, our own country could not provide, looks like we'll be needing her country's help more than ever the way this place is sinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Who's footing the bill for this proposed visit??? In the current climate I don't think our idiot politicians should be arranging visits for such powerless figure heads, British or not.

The country is drowning in debt. Thousands are forced to emmigrate. Dole ques are getting bigger. The government are going to introduce a property tax, so that they'll ultimately own OUR property for ever, and what is making the headlines????? A holiday for the British Queen at our expense!!!!!

Give me a break. This country is a total joke. If it was up to me I'd drag all the members of our government out to a field and shoot them all.

Until our "elected servants" sort out the country, they shoudn't even be thinking about such things as the British Queen visiting.

Are people so dumb they can't see an obvious political smoke screen when it explodes in their faces?? Our country may as well be run by John Gilligan and his cronies... they're all useless scum.

I oppose her as a representative of a murderous, occupying and war mongering state.

That alone is justification.

Yeah, they helped stopped those nice Nazi people taking over before,now it's those nice Taliban and the likes they are opposing. When will it stop....sigh............. :rolleyes:

galwayrush wrote: »
    Yeah, they helped stopped those nice Nazi people taking over before,now it's those nice Taliban and the likes they are opposing. When will it stop....sigh............. :rolleyes:

Taliban, Nazi's.

Sorry, I dont see your correlation.

What a bizzare thing to say.

Do you object to the representatives of Australia coming here? Ukraine? Poland? Italy? South Korea? Spain? Netherlands? Romania? El Salvador? Honduras? Denmark? Czech Republic? Estonia? Bulgaria? Azerbaijan? Singapore? Macedonia? Latvia? Kazakhstan? Mongolia? Hungary? Norway? Hungary? Iceland? Tonga? Thailand? Portugal? New Zealand? Armenia? Georgia? Moldova? Albania? Phillipines? Thailand? Nicaragua?.................

• Advertisement

Taliban, Nazi's.

Sorry, I dont see your correlation.

I didn't think you would............:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement