Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen Elizabeth II to visit Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Knarr wrote: »
    Taliban, Nazi's.

Sorry, I dont see your correlation.
    good point..could you explain the correlation galwayrush?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Knarr

prinz wrote: »
    Do you object to the representatives of Australia coming here? Ukraine? Poland? Italy? South Korea? Spain? Netherlands? Romania? El Salvador? Honduras? Denmark? Czech Republic? Estonia? Bulgaria? Azerbaijan? Singapore? Macedonia? Latvia? Kazakhstan? Mongolia? Hungary? Norway? Hungary? Iceland? Tonga? Thailand? Portugal? New Zealand? Armenia? Georgia? Moldova? Albania? Phillipines? Thailand? Nicaragua?.................

All of those did not wage an illegal invasion of another country. The UK did.

EDIT: Spelling mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

All of those did not wage an illigal invasion of another country. The UK did.

All of those contributed troops to the MNF in Iraq, and some more.

All of those contributed troops to the MNF in Iraq, and some more.

"All of those did not wage an illegal invasion of another country. The UK did."

Again?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Do you object to the representatives of Australia coming here? Ukraine? Poland? Italy? South Korea? Spain? Netherlands? Romania? El Salvador? Honduras? Denmark? Czech Republic? Estonia? Bulgaria? Azerbaijan? Singapore? Macedonia? Latvia? Kazakhstan? Mongolia? Hungary? Norway? Hungary? Iceland? Tonga? Thailand? Portugal? New Zealand? Armenia? Georgia? Moldova? Albania? Phillipines? Thailand? Nicaragua?.................
    What your point here? is this thread not about the queen of England been invited to come to Ireland? are you aware of the relationship Ireland has had with England over the years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

"All of those did not wage an illegal invasion of another country. The UK did." Again?

Some of those countries did participate in the invasion of Iraq. Perhaps you were talking about another illegal invasion?

Some of those countries did participate in the invasion of Iraq.

2 out of the 35 you mentioned. 'Some' indeed. Their heads of state should not be welcome here.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭silliegillie

dvpower wrote: »
    Again, under what definition is NI a colony?

In politics and in history, a colony is a territory under the immediate political control of a state

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

In politics and in history, a colony is a territory under the immediate political control of a state

Really so what does Stormont do? Thanks to wikipedia for your post

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭silliegillie

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Really so what does Stormont do? Thanks to wikipedia for your post

Check Wiki, I was just showing the explanation of a colony

The Northern Ireland Act 1998 (c.47) is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom which established a devolved legislature for Northern Ireland, the Northern Ireland Assembly, after decades of direct rule from Westminster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

rovert wrote: »
    Which many people who were you know actually involved in the middle of have moved on from. Maybe you dont know but Catholics and Protestant work together now up there, not only that they are in goverment together :eek::eek::eek:

^ Coming from the person that said that unification would change lives thats quite the compliment.

i have showed you how it would change lives, (which i cant believe i had to do, its completely obvious :rolleyes: ) yet you still ignore it

That's who I meant. You'll find it's the usual 'RA heads who'll pop up demanding the Queen apologise for x, y and z.

who are these 'ra heads, please name them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

aDeener wrote: »
    i have showed you how it would change lives, (which i cant believe i had to do, its completely obvious :rolleyes: ) yet you still ignore it

Im not ignoring Ive addressed every claim you made, none of them is life changing.

Im not ignoring Ive addressed every claim you made, none of them is life changing.

using a different currency and having different different tax rates doesn't affect your day to day life? well il be..... :rolleyes:

being able to vote for different political parties is another change, different inflation rates, how many more do you want or are you just going to bury your head in sand?

EDIT: you did ignore that post, you never responded to it.....

using a different currency and having different different tax rates doesn't affect your day to day life? well il be..... :rolleyes:

being able to vote for different political parties is another change, different inflation rates, how many more do you want or are you just going to bury your head in sand?

You initally framed it was a positive change...

You initally framed it was a positive change...

bullshit, i never said any such thing, change can be for better or worse.

i love your backtracking, its pathetic but its lovely to watch

bullshit, i never said any such thing, change can be for better or worse.

i love your backtracking, its pathetic but its lovely to watch

I wasnt backtracking I have been arguing about this statement for the duration:
    MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Unification would make a lot f people happier. Change peoples lives too. Just thought I would put that out there.

I confused you with Mussolini.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'd like less infantile language, more sense, less heat and more light in this thread please. That's an instruction.

Also a bit more sense and less repetition but that's just a worthwhile request.

Now watch me go back and issue formal reminders to everyone who decided to personalise the discussion and insult their fellow forum members. If there's a pattern of it from anyone there will also be an enforced holiday. That's just useful information.

I realise that common sense isn't all that common but some of you could try to make that fact less obvious when you're posting flame-baiting posts. Those will be watched for either - regardless of how dumb you think the guy on the other side of the fence is acting, the forum charter applies when you're posting - always has, always will.

/mod

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I've deleted the most recent posts on the convenience of having the same currency in use in Enniskillen and Sligo as, tangential and wacky as some of the contributions in the thread are in relation to the thread topic, that's a discussion heading for Pluto. No longer as it's now in deleted-Hades. An eye to the thread title would be good for anyone who wants to contribute - reading thread titles doesn't take up much of your valuable time.

/mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Look, there's a sea of change permeating around the British state itself toward their past attrocities and whatnot against Ireland and the Irish people and I'd be thinking along the lines of this visit by the queen of England being used as an option for her to apologise in some way (or at least make a step toward it in that regards...) for what was done in the past.

I'd have an open mind as to what the underlying intentions are and/or what might come of it/from it (her visit) in the future.

I don't think there'll be too much of a protest done against her visit other than symbolic, which is perfectly acceptable. There hasn't been too much rumblings in Republican circles in protest at this so I can only assume I am somewhat correct in my assertion and that certain elements higher up in Republican command structures have been made aware of the possibilities of her making steps toward healing deep lying wounds.

That's not to say there won't be rogue elements (as there already are anyway) who might take awful steps under protest at her visit but, unfortunately that's also to be expected.

I couldn't care less either way, I think it's a step in the right direction and sure we might well have a FG government soon so they'll all be out en-masse flying the Union Jack with big smiley heads on them telling us all how lovely she is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

This post has been deleted.

well said DF;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

On a somewhat serious but also comedic note, how does one (see what I did thar?) officially greet royalty from another country ?

Would our government and officials be expected (or just do it anyway) to bow to the queen ? Would they think about doing it anyway just because they've watched too much TV over the years from the UK, but pull back mid bow when they realise they don't have to, but end up kind of stumbling a little or cross legged mid bow as if to suggest they need to go to take a piss, thereby looking like a fool to all the world (again!) ?
    Would they just shake her hand and give her a kiss on the cheek as many would probably do to a granny ? Would that be acceptable ?

In all seriousness though, really, what is the accepted norm for greeting royalty visiting your country ?

Me, personally, I'd offer a hand to shake, hand on her shoulder and a gentle pull toward me to give her a kiss on the cheek with a "How are ye love, great to have you visiting here at long last - wow that's a pretty nice perfume you're wearing, oh god yeah that's really nice, can I have another sniff of that if you don't mind ? Oh god yeah, oh yeah that's lovely". Assuming of course she was actually wearing a nice perfume and it wasn't just old lady smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 existential

Theres nothing to polarise the people of Ireland like an impending visit from the Queen of England it would seem.

It's my opinion that there are very real reasons to protest this visit if it gets the go ahead. Inviting her over and fawning obsequiously over her a week after her army were 'finally' found responsible for murdering 14 people in Derry in cold blood quite frankly makes us an embarrassment. The guilty parties still hold their medals and probably won't receive any sanctions for the murderous romp that day.

There's a lot more healing to be done before the majority welcome the Queen of England on sovereign Irish soil with open arms. Some day it'll happen but we're not there yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭weepee

Its interesting to read that some posters believe that a state visit to the Republic by an Englich monarch, in some way proves how Ireland an a nation 'has moved on' from the bad old days.
    Well, the Republic is only a partial nation, six counties remain 'detached' from the national territory, by an anti Irish political agreement 90 years old. As long as that remains the case, no head of that state should ever be awarded an official welcome.

Either that, or sell yourself short,by being satisfied at being just a little less Irish than you really are, depends how you can live with yourself I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

You should tug your forelock.

Doff your hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I wonder who's going to foot the bill for security? Surely, if they are intent on bringing her over - it would be better served once we are economically stable. There are schools falling down around the country, but we have to waste time on what I can only see for them as "closure".

This is going to cost millions - and it's great that those who are usually fiscally conservative are now eager to front a few million euro on the visit of an unelected state representative. The same representative that bestowed Derek Wilford with an OBE.

On one side, I can see why the Queen visiting might be considered a positive step in relations between Ireland, and Britain - but it's ultimately going to be counter-productive. Dublin is going to be ripped apart by scumbags looking for any excuse to have a riot - and it's just going to stir up old flares.

Irish/British relations are fine. We have a good working relationship and that will continue. I have no problem with David Cameron coming to visit to discuss political matters - but I would certainly have a problem with the Queen and what she stands for coming to visit. It's too costly, we can't afford it - and if she is really intent on coming - she should remove the honour of OBE from Derek Wilford for his role in the state-murder of Irish civilians as a gesture of good will. We can only reach out so much. It's time for Britain to extend their hand also.

weepee wrote: »
    Its interesting to read that some posters believe that a state visit to the Republic by an Englich monarch, in some way proves how Ireland an a nation 'has moved on' from the bad old days.
    Well, the Republic is only a partial nation, six counties remain 'detached' from the national territory, by an anti Irish political agreement 90 years old. As long as that remains the case, no head of that state should ever be awarded an official welcome.

Either that, or sell yourself short,by being satisfied at being just a little less Irish than you really are, depends how you can live with yourself I suppose.

Yep she is the one standing in the way of all that, good grief :rolleyes:
    dlofnep wrote: »
    It's too costly, we can't afford it

This is too costly but some on here what the Republic to fund a United Ireland ASAP. Kind of wacko.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Be a nice day out for the anglo-Irish and west-Brits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

I will not welcome the Queen untill she appologises for the disgracefull behaviour of that anti-monarchist Cromwell.

I will also not welcome the Queen Margrethe of Denmark unless she appologises from Clontarf dart station for the death of Brian Boru.

Nor will I welcome King Juan Carlos of Spain after his people colonised us in the bronze age.

I will also stop being friends with my mate who is a decendant of one of cromwells generals.

Do people realise that the English aren't 800 years old sitting around with long white beards slagging off GAA and not welcoming our president untill she appologises for Enya.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

I will not welcome the Queen untill she appologises for the disgracefull behaviour of that anti-monarchist Cromwell.

I will also not welcome the Queen Margrethe of Denmark unless she appologises from Clontarf dart station for the death of Brian Boru.

Nor will I welcome King Juan Carlos of Spain after his people colonised us in the bronze age.

I will also stop being friends with my mate who is a decendant of one of cromwells generals.

Do people realise that the English aren't 800 years old sitting around with long white beards slagging off GAA and not welcoming our president untill she appologises for Enya.

No but they are still have the north, and while people like you dont care about that. Patriots like myself do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement