Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queen Elizabeth II to visit Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

ok so she arrives, and where is she likely to go and do? Kilmainham jail?, The Dail? Newgrange..., be entertained by Crystal Swing at the Aras?......I think Dev would be turning in his grave if she is carted around in his Rolls Royce.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Biggins wrote: »
    Just another point.
    What would be the costs in her coming?

We have invited her so I guess we will pick up the bill.
    But the costs of hosting a visit will be repaid many times over in increased tourism revenues from UK visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

How about the definition used by the Ulster-Scots Agency?
    The Plantation of Ulster was the organised colonisation of Ulster by people from Britain.

Yes, which started hundreds of years ago. The children born of those people, and their children, have as much right to call NI a home as the other children born around then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

aDeener wrote: »
    ahh so it has never been held? unlike here where we vote for our TDs every 5 years, right i see. thanks for clearing that up. moving on....

Strangely enough the UK votes for their politicians every 4 to 5 years as well, Imagine that. You really need to get a grip and live in the present

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

G Luxel wrote: »
    I think Dev would be turning in his grave if she is carted around in his Rolls Royce.....
    Fortunately, Dev is dead and so is his daft vision of a fundamentalist Catholic, isolationist, Irish state.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

eightyfish wrote: »
    Yes, which started hundreds of years ago. The children born of those people, and their children, have as much right to call NI a home as the other children born around then.

besides which, I think 400 years ago the O'Neils would have been equally pissed off with Leinster, Conaught or Munster staking a claim to Ulster.

dvpower wrote: »
    But the costs of hosting a visit will be repaid many times over in increased tourism revenues from UK visitors.

And also how good with this news look in the world media?

How about the definition used by the Ulster-Scots Agency?

That definition says that it was a colony not that it is a colony.

I had my suspicions that some of the naysayers are living in the past, but ffs:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

NI is a colony?:confused: Under what definition?

There are some questions that you should not ask: you are inviting yourself on a trip down a cul-de-sac.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

and thats the problem with people apologising for the past.....
    you can never apologise for cromwell or the famine. Its done. The people responsible are long dead.

hence why we shouldnt demand stupid hollow apologies, those who are stuck in a past they never lived through should get a life in the here and now

fan of the strawman arent we? i never mentioned cromwell or the famine. lizzy was commander in chief in 1972, she still is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Strangely enough the UK votes for their politicians every 4 to 5 years as well, Imagine that. You really need to get a grip and live in the present

:confused: where did i say they didnt? id advise you to read through the rest of the thread :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

djpbarry wrote: »
    And of course, we all know that nothing in Northern Ireland has changed over the last 400-odd years, has it?

Well, if you mean the Irish right to self-determination is still being denied, you're spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Make the lady welcome, and show them that we have matured as a state, and are a confident people going forward.

I totally agree but unfortunately we all know a visit like this will be marred by violence and protests. Based on that I think it is best she stays away. It will come across as being far from positive in the media.

There are some questions that you should not ask: you are inviting yourself on a trip down a cul-de-sac.

All I got was an attribution, not a definition, of a situation that pertained 400 years ago, by an source that I suspect wouldn't be the normal first choice of the poster.

So I think I'm safe.:pac:

That definition says that it was a colony not that it is a colony.

I had my suspicions that some of the naysayers are living in the past, but ffs:rolleyes:

Actually, I'm living in the occupation, sunshine.
    I suspect your opinion of Betty and her armed forces might be a little less welcoming if you'd had to grow up under their idea of enlightened rule.

All I got was an attribution, not a definition, of a situation that pertained 400 years ago, by an source that I suspect wouldn't be the normal first choice of the poster.

So I think I'm safe.:pac:

I assumed you might find it harder to question the bona fides of the colonists themselves.

I'm surprised Boards isn't blocked in Iraq.

20goto10 wrote: »
    I totally agree but unfortunately we all know a visit like this will be marred by violence and protests. Based on that I think it is best she stays away. It will come across as being far from positive in the media.

I'd say the visit will be very carefully stage managed. There are likely to be some protests by the fringe groups and they will be portrayed as such.

Even SF are likely to be muted, if the visit takes place in the run up to a general election here and SF are trying to appeal to the mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

I suspect your opinion of Betty and her armed forces might be a little less welcoming if you'd had to grow up under their idea of enlightened rule.

She's been invited to the Republic of Ireland. Any Nordy twats who have a problem with that can p!ss off back to their own country and mind their own business.

I assumed you might find it harder to question the bona fides of the colonists themselves.

Again, under what definition is NI a colony?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I for one welcome our royal overlords=)

If she comes the taxpayer will have to foot the bill for her security, just the same way as the UK taxpayer foots the bill when our heads of state visit there. However you can be rest assured that M15/6 will be crawling all over the place- in fact they are probably here already sussing out the route from the airport to the Aras etc.

Regardless I welcome a visit by the Queen, I dont agree with monarchies or some of the past deeds of her family and I feel there should be an apology which will help matters between our two countries a lot (on our side more so than theirs).

Im fearful of any major protests though- the Queen is well liked in the UK which is our single biggest trading partner. She is also well liked in the US which is also another major trade partner. The Americans would take a dim view of Ireland if there were to be a protest of any major size.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

This post has been deleted.

I never suggest it was. When i refer to the country of Ireland i mean the whole island. Not sure what you mean tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

20goto10 wrote: »
    She's been invited to the Republic of Ireland. Any Nordy twats who have a problem with that can p!ss off back to their own country and mind their own business.

This is their country and its hardly goign to be all northereners who will object to this visit. Nordy twats??? Very mature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Again, under what definition is NI a colony?

Im not sure what the exact definition of a colony is but if you look back on the plantations in NI you might get some idea.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantations_of_Ireland

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Cost is just another red herring dragged up by the anti-British brigade. Any properly organised visit would pay back the associated costs in spades through increased tourism, trade links etc - just like any other high profile VIP visit.

Fair enough. I'm sure business heads will look forward to her sitting down and discussing at length/detail, business plans and future prospects before signing up to legal contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

RATM wrote: »
    I for one welcome our royal overlords=)

If she comes the taxpayer will have to foot the bill for her security, just the same way as the UK taxpayer foots the bill when our heads of state visit there. However you can be rest assured that M15/6 will be crawling all over the place- in fact they are probably here already sussing out the route from the airport to the Aras etc.

Regardless I welcome a visit by the Queen, I dont agree with monarchies or some of the past deeds of her family and I feel there should be an apology which will help matters between our two countries a lot (on our side more so than theirs).

Im fearful of any major protests though- the Queen is well liked in the UK which is our single biggest trading partner. She is also well liked in the US which is also another major trade partner. The Americans would take a dim view of Ireland if there were to be a protest of any major size.
    what passed deeds of her family ?

RATM wrote: »
    Im not sure what the exact definition of a colony is but if you look back on the plantations in NI you might get some idea.

I already have a good understanding of what a colony is and NI isn't one today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

dlofnep wrote: »
    Perhaps she might as a gesture of good will, remove the title of OBE from Derek Wilford in lieu of the recent Saville Inquiry findings - to show that she too has matured.

And you would know it is The British Government that awards those honours, not the Queen herself. For those that want Wilfords honour removed they need to petition the right people, which is not the Queen.

The BGov have apologised for Bloody Sunday, compensation will follow for the relatives. That is the best they can do given the circumstances tbh.

All this Commander-in-Chief business is a red herring, it wasn't the Queen who sent the troops into the north, it was her Government. She is merely a figurehead and couldn't have stopped them sending them in if thats what they wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Simple question:

What benefits will a visit by the queen of britain have?

• Advertisement

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    What benefits will a visit by the queen of britain have?
    • Positive media attention worldwide, generating goodwill for Ireland.
    • Improved tourism from the UK beacuse people will realise we're not still holding a hundreds-year-old grudge
    • Feeling of pride among Irish people that we've matured sufficiently to accept a visit from the head of state of our nearest neighbours without riots and blood-letting, similar to the feeling after the English national anthem was treated with respect in Croke Park
    • And you never know, there's probably some Irish people out there who'd quite enjoy going to see the queen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement