Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terra Nova - Fox *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Skerries wrote: »
    and you think terra nova is the dogs shiznit?!!! please!

No I don't. But its watchable which is what passes for good scifi since battlestar galactica left our screens

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

No I don't. But its watchable which is what passes for good scifi since battlestar galactica left our screens

not even in the same SENTENCE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

Getting rid of this could be good news for fringe though.

I don't think it really would, if I'm correct Fox makes Terra Nova but only broadcasts Fringe so any money saved from cancelling Terra Nova would be put to new shows or current Fox productions.

Another thing I wonder is if the series was less expensive and still under the possibility of cancellation would the like of SyFy try to pick it up, could even think that about Fringe as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I don't think it really would, if I'm correct Fox makes Terra Nova but only broadcasts Fringe so any money saved from cancelling Terra Nova would be put to new shows or current Fox productions.

Another thing I wonder is if the series was less expensive and still under the possibility of cancellation would the like of SyFy try to pick it up, could even think that about Fringe as well.

TVBTN still has it listed as on the bubble in the latest article, i still maintain it's getting axed....or if it does go S2, big overhaul and budget slashed!

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/12/11/bubble-watch-holding-off-on-any-change-for-terra-nova-and-hart-of-dixie/113371/

TVBTN still has it listed as on the bubble in the latest article, i still maintain it's getting axed....or if it does go S2, big overhaul and budget slashed!

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2011/12/11/bubble-watch-holding-off-on-any-change-for-terra-nova-and-hart-of-dixie/113371/

I wouldn't be surprised to see it go, costs and ratings are the exact opposite of what Fox wanted so a new cheaper show is likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭touts

It's gone too far to be saved now. It took a concept that could have been good adult sci-fi drama like Battlestar Galacticia and then watered it down to appeal to the teenage market with the whole family and teenage frustration thing that we have seen time and time and time again in engless failed one season shows. Even the special effects are patchy. Good at times and clearly rushed at others. The fishing scene was dreadful. It reminded me of the old 60s "land that time forgot" type movies where random stock footage of an iguana was used to represent a dinosaur. I'm surprised we didn't see a fishing boat in the background.

not even in the same SENTENCE!!!

Yeah fair enough.
    Nevertheless, Fringe is pure trash

FFS!....how utterly predictable, Sky turns out to be the spy......... :rolleyes:

But of course being TN the show HAD to make her a "good" spy, yeah 'cause she couldn't do it for selfish reasons, so plop a sick mommy to make everything she did OK.

:rolleyes:

overshoot wrote: »
    spy id
    its sky!

Well done mate!....though i think others called Sky even earlier in the season, like ep. 2 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Yeah fair enough.
    Nevertheless, Fringe is pure trash

GTFO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Seriously ????
    I've never been able to bear that show for more than twenty mins. Its like a bunch of xfiles fans couldn't get over the loss of their show so wrote their own new one with parallel dimensions an ****
    But Terra Nova is just Battlestar Gallactica, but in the past instead of some far off galaxy, and with dinosaurs instead of cyclons, and sixers instead of sixes.

And Fringe is just Terra Nova, but with an alternate dimension instead of being in the past, and shapeshifters instead of dinosaurs.

And the X Files was really just Friends, with Moulder and Scully instead of Ross and Rachel, weird paranormal mutants instead of Phoebe and that cigarette smoking guy instead of Chandler.

And to bring it a full circle, Terra Nova is really just Fringe, but with crappy CGI in place of a plot, and it's really just Battlestar Galactica but with emo teenagers in place of genuine drama and tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

stevenmu wrote: »
    But Terra Nova is just Battlestar Gallactica, but in the past instead of some far off galaxy, and with dinosaurs instead of cyclons, and sixers instead of sixes.

jackie-chan-meme.png

I think I've spotted another issue with this series, none of the episodes have been good enough to be enjoyable after a rewatch so why would anyone buy the DVD's or Blu-Ray releases.

stevenmu wrote: »

And Fringe is just Terra Nova, but with an alternate dimension instead of being in the past, and shapeshifters instead of dinosaurs.

And the X Files was really just Friends, with Moulder and Scully instead of Ross and Rachel, weird paranormal mutants instead of Phoebe and that cigarette smoking guy instead of Chandler.

And to bring it a full circle, Terra Nova is really just Fringe, but with crappy CGI in place of a plot, and it's really just Battlestar Galactica but with emo teenagers in place of genuine drama and tension.

Lol I have no idea what your point is but damn thats funny

• Registered Users Posts: 24,007 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think I've spotted another issue with this series, none of the episodes have been good enough to be enjoyable after a rewatch so why would anyone buy the DVD's or Blu-Ray releases.

Perhaps some sadists buy crap DVDs as gifts for people they don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭squonk

I thnk it was obvious for ages that Sky was the spy. It did suck that she was 'pressured' into doing it. Hell, even the Curran guy who was exiled is now back! Seriously, is Terra Nova the Civil Service? It looks like there isn't really anything you can do to get kicked out of there!

So, not Taylor Jr has the portal worked out. Did anyone else find a serious problem that Sky could get access to the Eye, or whatever they called that computer, for an entire hour without anybody else noticing? I mean, do they not even keep user logs or records of what is being doing with it?

Cmdr Taylor just gets gayer and gayer. That scene at the end where he's addressing the camp in that biker jacket.... seriously, he was one step away from being the cop in the Village People!!!

I presume this episode is our lot for this round and we may/may not have to tune in for the next exciting episode in the next part sometime in 2012?

Was there an episode on yesterday then ?
    If there was my upcbox appears to not to have bothered recording it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭squonk

Was there an episode on yesterday then ?
    If there was my upcbox appears to not to have bothered recording it

You need a very special UPC box, or some nice cousins in the states!

The two part series finale [yes i said series] is next Monday.

^ looks very good actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,007 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think the only suspense now is in whether it's going to get cancelled or not.

I'm also curious as to how big the tanks are that were mentioned as laying waste to Terra Nova, or is that portal gadget adjustable?

• Advertisement

The end of that clip says "See how it all Ends", wonder if they know something we don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

i only seen a small bit of it

the cast are like all pretty and sunshine

Taylor is the stand out character
    It is all bit facist is it not
    Taylor and is gun seem to be running the gaff
    no elections, polticans, press, courts torture appears to be legal.

and then theirs the war on the sixers

it needs more dinos

^ needs more lesbian dinos!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Have to laugh at how they have to spell out every last thing for their audience.

So our antagonist issues the following threat outside the hostage Mother dearest's room way up in a treehouse in answer to: "What if I don't?"

"It's a long way down..."

Now you know what he means, my cat knows what he means. BUT, just in case for the slow single celled organisms out there, they feel it necessary to add:

"You'll do it or, I'll toss your Mother over the side..." Subtle dude.

But why stop there?

"...and then she'll find out just how far down it really is!"
    DUN-DUN-DUUUUNNNNNN!!!!

It's so bad it's funny.

Goldstein wrote: »
    Have to laugh at how they have to spell out every last thing for their audience.

So our antagonist issues the following threat outside the hostage Mother dearest's room way up in a treehouse in answer to: "What if I don't?"

"It's a long way down..."

Now you know what he means, my cat knows what he means. BUT, just in case for the slow single celled organisms out there, they feel it necessary to add:

"You'll do it or, I'll toss your Mother over the side..." Subtle dude.

But why stop there?

"...and then she'll find out just how far down it really is!"
    DUN-DUN-DUUUUNNNNNN!!!!

It's so bad it's funny.

Or the scene where Mira explains to the audience they were driving the dino [not literally driving, but i wouldn't put it past this show] to Terra Nova....like we didn't already get what was going down, twas bloody obvious...... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

http://io9.com/5867854/all-the-greatest-lines-of-dialogue-from-last-nights-terra-nova

Here you go. Some of the dialogue from that last episode was unbelievable.
    All the Greatest Lines of Dialogue from Last Night’s Terra Nova

I kind of love Terra Nova — there's something terribly endearing about a show that aims so doggedly at "epic," only to fly off in slightly random directions instead. And I would still watch Stephen Lang acting opposite a collection of inflatable rubber dinosaurs and brain-damaged half-deaf ex-Aerosmith roadies.
    Spoilers ahead...
    Nevertheless, last night's episode was just uncommonly cheesy. Largely thanks to the show's new uber-villain, Lucas Taylor. Plus once again, shocking revelations lead to almost no consequences. Also, the show's two strong female badasses — Mira and Wash — have been completely relegated to "flunky" status. (This was especially noticeable with Wash, who found the Sixer mole after Shannon had tried and failed several times — only to have Shannon steal the credit and boss her around.)
    But most of all, last night's episode featured some of the greatest dialogue the show has ever seen. Here are our favorite snippets:
    Full size
    medium_9960bfb82315450707594e9c02c48131.jpg
    "It's a long way down. You'll do it or I'll toss your mother over the side, and she'll find out just how far it really is. So you better get moving, Bucket."
    Lucas Taylor proves how sinister he is, while "Bucket" worries about her poor sick saintly mother. What I love about this line is that Lucas starts out with an implied threat: "It's a long way down." And then he decides that was too subtle. So he clarifies: "I mention that it's a long way down not just for informational purposes, but so that you'll understand that I'm going to throw your mother off." And then he decides that was still too indirect, so he adds a further clarification: "And then she'll be able to find out for herself how far down it is, because I will give her a tape measure before I throw her off. Maybe one of those ones from the Hardware Store, that she can hook onto the side." Then he adds, for further emphasis, that this threat is not just general, but is intended to encourage her to get moving. Nice use of the nickname "Bucket," too. Because it's sinister and belittling. "He wants to keep our issues in the family. The two of us, we suffer from a Shakespearean relationship, that borders on Greek tragedy."
    Later, in another one of Lucas and Bucket's 1000 scenes together, he spouts off my absolute favorite line of dialogue of all time. I love that it's not just Shakespearean, but it borders on Greek tragedy. Because just being Shakespearean by itself wouldn't be cool enough — but if you mention both Shakespeare and Sophocles, you get Triple Culture Points. What I really love about this line is that it tries to ascribe some epic significance to Lucas' daddy issues, but only succeeds in making them seem more petty and overblown. (I know, I already remarked on the wondrousness of this line yesterday.)
    "Out, Bucket, I have work to do. Don't make me tell you twice."
    More amazeballs dialogue from Lucas, who really needs a nickname of his own, to go with "Bucket." Maybe "Stick?" Or "Hole?"
    Full size
    medium_7af08518b9c237b85f51e5b0f9274771.jpg
    "What? I've been grounded since I came through the portal."
    I love that the biggest drama in Josh's life is that he keeps getting grounded. More to the point, Josh's lying indirectly leads to Bucket getting away with doing Hole's bidding for a bit longer, thus allowing her to get inside the Eye and finish the calculations to turn the Portal into a two-way thingy. I don't really understand Josh's character any more — he's still slightly obnoxious, like when he's loudly playing with his ball, but he doesn't really have any personality of his own any more. At least he remembered about Kara, his girlfriend from the future who's supposedly coming through with the Eleventh Pilgrimage. "I used to like to study. Look where it got me."
    Annnnd then there's Quark. Remember Quark? I think we're supposed to think he's a broken man, judging from how eager he is to ingratiate himself with Jim Shannon by giving away valuable pieces of equipment to Shannon's dorky daughter. The whole "Maddie needs a new chip for her iPad" subplot was perhaps the most throwaway subplot this show has ever done, and it ended so perfunctorily, I kept expecting there to be more to it somehow. In any case, I like the fact that Maddie is willing to exploit her dad's job for personal gain. That's the most interesting thing she's ever done.
    "I've always found it so strange why people want to be like their fathers. Not me, I just wanted to destroy mine."
    I guess this was the "daddy issues" episode, since we found out that Skye's buckety nickname comes from her soldier father. And meanwhile, Josh lies to his dad once again, while Maddie uses her dad's job to get free ****. And then there's the epic confrontation between Taylor Pere and Fils. But we'll come to that in a moment.
    "He's a man, not a god. But don't tell him that - you'll hurt his feelings."
    The Lucas Taylor dialogue never gets old. Honestly. He's like ten cheesemongers.
    Full size
    medium_e62c113ff974b3cee94dc66b691f4885.jpg
    "Oh, that's the spirit. Go down fighting, for, for a dream - some utopia and all that's right and true. Open your eyes, old man. It's over. I won. Soon you'll be on your knees begging me for mercy. The next time we meet, I won't be alone."
    There needed to be more "hnar hnar hnar" laughter with this speech. Actually, I'm beginning to think watching Stephen Lang act opposite inflatable dinosaurs and deaf/brain-damaged Aerosmith roadies would be more entertaining. The thing that bugged me during this scene was that Lucas keeps saying "You can't shoot me or you'll damage the portal and be cut off from the future." And I was basically shouting at the screen, "DO IT. SHOOT THE PORTAL." It would solve all their problems in one go, and a lot of people would be spared. Taylor's final speech
    I'm not going to reproduce it here in its entirety, but there was a lot of stuff about how the people in Terra Nova didn't sign up for this, but now he's going to ask more of them than he's ever asked of them before, and every one of them can be a hero, and they have to choose whether to fight for their homes or just let the evil corporations come in and take everything, etc. It's more or less the same speech Taylor's given in every episode, except with more added "this is the lead-up to the final battle." I did like him saying that everybody in Terra Nova had endured great hardship and carved out a life in this harsh environment — just like Maddie endured hardship in this episode, with her iPad running out of battery life. That was really hard for Maddie. She had to struggle a lot, because the environment was harsh.
    Next week, we finally get the big showdown and find out whether this show has really been worth sticking with. In spite of a lot of bumps along the way, I still remain somewhat optimistic that we'll get a bang-out finale that brings all the interesting themes of the show into focus. Here's hoping!

This is it!...the final EVER episodes, this is....The End, my friends :(

Would anyone really miss it if/when it's canceled?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

The two part series finale [yes i said series] is next Monday.

^ looks very good actually!

Jebus H zerba terra nova is turing into the battle of stalingrad GTFO

Advertisement