Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Shredneck

mondeo wrote: »
    Cancelled my iphone contract today, so did 3 of my friends, my sister and 2 of her friends also. :D

Cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I wonder how many contracts they had to cancel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭mondeo

Haddockman wrote: »
    I wonder how many contracts they had to cancel?

A bloody big pile anyways, 1000's probably. Been all over facebook for awhile now.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

Did get released from the 02 release edge contract? I got released on my iphone but trying to get my parents released who are on the release edge contract with nokias?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dougs09

i must say, a massive thanks to boards here for getting this info out there.

just under a week from completing a year of a 18 month contract and getting out of it for free, well that was just brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

dougs09 wrote: »
    i must say, a massive thanks to boards here for getting this info out there.

just under a week from completing a year of a 18 month contract and getting out of it for free, well that was just brilliant.

Not being smart because I'm a bit confused here. What is so brilliant about it? Are you saving money ?

yeah i'm saving about fifty euro a month.

i wanted the iPhone last year, so i decided to go with o2, but i went for the cheaper tariff, which meant texts to vodafone werent free, well after a hundred anyway.
    so my average bill was working out about a hundred euro a month. Then o2 unlocked my iPhone for me, but it was gonna cost me 45 euro for each month i cancelled my contract early, which worked out last time i checked to be about five hundred euro.
    i took out a vodafone simple plan, thirty quid a month, and i was paying my o2 contract at same time rather then cancelling it and paying em money for nothing, and i used up my minutes and texts with them.
    and now i am able to cancel the contract, as the sim was lying there and i wasnt using it much, i had no need for it, so getting away from it this early and not costing me a cent, 6 months left at fifty quid a month, that's three hundred euro i've saved myself.

i must add, just in case folk are wonderign, yes, running the two of them at same time still saved me money, it worked out about eighty euro a month, as opposed to the average of 110 a month on 02 alone.

Fair enough. Could you have just changed call plan? I'm just 6 months in and going from the €65 a month (phone free) to €40 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭guil

why in all honesty would u rather to be tied to an 18 month contract instead of having a 30 day rolling one

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    why in all honesty would u rather to be tied to an 18 month contract instead of having a 30 day rolling one
    Well I'm 98% certain that I will remain with them for the remaining year. The hassle of cancelling, messing up my billing or entitlements is puttin me off.

yeah i tried that, in fact i think i even posted that here, but the feckers said that i couldnt change plans without restarting my contract back to 18 months again, yet, the other day, when cancelling, they were happy for me to change to one that suited me more, if i wanted lol

anyway, vodafone works soooo much better with iPhone then o2 ever did, and all my mates are vodafone so they ahve free texts to me now again, so, works out a lot better.

but i would of been happy, 5 months ago, when i went in, to bump myself up to the higher tarriff that gave me the free unlimited texts to other networks, but they refused.

just to give you an idea, i got my vodafone bill today, i sent a total of 1618 texts last month, 118 of them were to networks other then vodafone, so i sent 1600 texts exactly to vodafone, now imagine it reversed and me sending that many, that cost me lol, 118 to other networks, ie meteor or 02, and 1600 to vodafone, now imagine them charging me for all those texts.

you see where im coming from right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

I emailed them on the 18th June as I was in no rush to get out of contract. I got an email this afternoon advising Im out of contract.

"Following on from your query on our new price plan rates, I can confirm that the contract for mobile phone number: 086........ has now been removed as requested. Your services continue as normal."

Thanks for posting this thread op. Its great.:D

Well I'm 98% certain that I will remain with them for the remaining year. The hassle of cancelling, messing up my billing or entitlements is puttin me off.
    i am staying with 02, havent messed up my billing and still have my extra and gold upgrade yet i'm not contracted to them anymore

well if your happy enough, and its not costing you much extra, then fair play, why would you want to move, but guil is right, a 30 day rolling contract is so much better.

it suits you prob like vodafone suits me better, i'm even toying with the idea of getting the iPhone sim free or PAYG on vodafone and saving myself going into contract, and just carrying on with the current plan i'm on, i'll work out the sums once they release details.

my reason to get out of contract was hopefully i might be able to get an iphone4 a bit cheaper with them, i have 2 phones and 2 modems and spend a minimum of 160 per month

guil wrote: »
    i am staying with 02, havent messed up my billing and still have my extra and gold upgrade yet i'm not contracted to them anymore

i'm pretty sure whatever entitlements i had, died with my cancelling, but, i moved over to speakeasy, so i'll throw 20 in it every now and again, mainly for the 02 presale tickets, but just might as welll keep it with them as i have 1 vodafone account, hardly worth having 2, and this way it aint costing me anything.

but i aint ever gonna avail of upgrades or that with them so no skin of my nose that i've lost my upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi everyone,
    I've told friends about this but I've just seen mention in the thread that Meteor customers may have the same benefit?

I'm currently in a contract with Meteor AND Vodafone... are all networks changing something or other? Is it likely Meteor and Vodafone contracts can be cancelled too?

have no idea, but at this rate, everyone in the country will be out of contract :D

fwiw, a mate of mine told me just to cancel my direct debit for my o2, even though i complained about it so much, but i done the honest thing and just continued it on rather then cancelling it and getting into all sorts of stuff, and now karma has come back and given me the honest route to get out of it, without "robbing" 02 out of any money they should of got.

just call me earl :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 propjo

Just rang them there, queried the change in terms and conditions and they said it does not affect the Advance contracts so nothing has changed. No get out for me, has anyone else heard this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

dougs09 wrote: »
    yeah i'm saving about fifty euro a month.
    so my average bill was working out about a hundred euro a month. Then o2 unlocked my iPhone for me, but it was gonna cost me 45 euro for each month i cancelled my contract early, which worked out last time i checked to be about five hundred euro.
    i took out a vodafone simple plan, thirty quid a month, and i was paying my o2 contract at same time rather then cancelling it and paying em money for nothing, and i used up my minutes and texts with them.

Dougs,

A few questions.........

1. You say that texts were costing you after the 100 a month allowance. Weren't you using the 250 webtexts that O2 allows? And I presume you know that you now have 600 free webtexts with Vodafone?

2. You say that the iPhone works better with Vodafone. Interesting. After I got mine unlocked, I tried it with my wife's Vodafone sim. A huge difference here in Dublin 14 where O2 signal is appalling. I'll probably switch to Vodafone.

3. In another post you say that you're considering switching to pre-pay to avoid having a contract. But, I presume you know that your Simply Plan contract with Vodafone is only 30 days? Hardly onerous?

4. That said, it looks like Vodafone are changing their price plans first week of July. No more free network to network calls and texts. Really dire, IMHO.

See here>

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055947144

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭japasca

Just cancelled my contract too. Took around 3 minutes on the phone with no hassle at all. Off to get a prepay sim now. Thanks OP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

I've just got out of contract (9 months of 18 served). I'm still on the same legacy iPhone Advance Plan (the older plans with the tethering included but only 1 GB of data). It took just under 8 mins to get to speak to someone and was all done'n'dusted within 30-45 seconds of that!

Thanks to Shredneck for the initial post!

This must be hurting o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

cgarvey wrote: »
    I've just got out of contract (9 months of 18 served). I'm still on the same legacy iPhone Advance Plan (the older plans with the tethering included but only 1 GB of data). It took just under 8 mins to get to speak to someone and was all done'n'dusted within 30-45 seconds of that!

Thanks to Shredneck for the initial post!

This must be hurting o2.

it there any why of knowing that your contract is canceled?
    will they send out a letter?

clansman wrote: »
    it there any why of knowing that your contract is canceled?
    will they send out a letter?
    This is the thing. There could be many very unhappy campers come July 13.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

I asked for a confirmation email via their website last week. It arrived yesterday, and all is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

Haddockman wrote: »
    This is the thing. There could be many very unhappy campers come July 13.

I just called them again there to confirm when I read this post.

He told me I was definitely out of my contract but I had not requested confirmation so he was going to send me it now.

While I had him I asked could he unlock my iPhone too. He took the IMEI and started the process with itunes.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

I just called them again there to confirm when I read this post.

He told me I was definitely out of my contract but I had not requested confirmation so he was going to send me it now.

While I had him I asked could he unlock my iPhone too. He took the IMEI and started the process with itunes.

:D

I got no confirmation, going to call back to get a email and to unlock my phone. only 4 months into my 18.

But i cant help thinking that O2 have something up their sleeve?......
    Like when they change all the plans a while back... have to wait and see.

Just make sure folks.

With all the chicanery going on in recent days, people need to be 100% sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Only signed up on the 7th of June and got a desire for 120 euro and am now out of contract. Thanks again shredneck

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement