Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dougs09

yeah cause the guy i was talking to was more then happy to let me cancel it, he was being nice as pie to me but i guess that was to keep me on contract even if it was a different tarriff, but i told him i wanted to keep it on the network on speakeasy, and i confirmed with him twice that it was indeed cancelled, and he said yes, so unless i got confirmation liike that, unlike kinda hazy i'm not sure feeling you get when you hang up, i'd ring again folks.

like the 2 posters above say, ring up folkls and make sure for certain your out of it, if unsure, its worth the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There doesn't seem to be much consistency in how they're dealing with people, does there?

Maybe different agents are handling it their own way or maybe it's different depending on what plan you were on.

Either way... bad show.

Standard o2 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

deravarra wrote: »
    Just rang and cancelled the contract - however, something a little bit strange - she said that by cancelling the contract, I was now agreeing to be charged the new rates for anything outside of my bundle.

Are they entitled to do this?
    As far as I'm aware, Yes they are. That is the whole reason as to why you are being let out of your contract. Like you, I am still on bill phone. I pay €40 p/m. Anything that I use over/outside of my bundle/priceplan I will be charged at the new rate. The whole idea of allowing me to cancel my contract is to allow me to change priceplan at will if I don't like the new call charges or allow me to change provider.
    Either way, if I stay on O2 BillPay I am going to be charged the new call prices not covered by my priceplan.
    Some one correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭firebug_guy

I just called and cancelled... the woman was not very nice - and quite rude. After I said I wanted out of the min. committment, after that she said "What else can I help you with?" and I said "Just that" and she was like "So you JUST called up to get out of your min committment" and I was like "Yes" and she said "Why" and I was thinking "Ah - hello...? Why do you think you ape!"

Anyway, she was extremely rude and I'd say fed up with everyone calling about the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

So they keep telling me that as i have never rung 11811 in a year of contract, then it doesnt effect me. Are they mad? And then they tell me that I will have to set up an account with another mobile provider so they can port my number to cos I am essentially kicked off the network. Hmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

So they keep telling me that as i have never rung 11811 in a year of contract, then it doesnt effect me. Are they mad? And then they tell me that I will have to set up an account with another mobile provider so they can port my number to cos I am essentially kicked off the network. Hmmmm
    They are playing you. I would ring 11811 now for the pig iron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dougs09

i dont recall ever making a call to 11811

• Registered Users Posts: 10,478 ✭✭✭✭guil

dougs09 wrote: »
    sounds like you've not had it cancelled completely?

the guy told me that i am now out of contract, and that i'm on speakeasy, and i rang back 19o9 and they said that it was for contract users only and i had to ring speakeasy customer care, so i know for definete that i am out of my contract, were you given any sort of indications that your contract will be ripped up??
    getting out of contract doesnt mean ur automatically put on speakeasy, i cancelled 2 phone contracts on my account the other day, both are still on bill pay and on the same plan
    i got a text form o2 today saying
    thank you for contacting o2, you have now been remoced from contract as per your request, your services continue as normal. thank you from o2

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

guil wrote: »
    getting out of contract doesnt mean ur automatically put on speakeasy, i cancelled 2 phone contracts on my account the other day, both are still on bill pay and on the same plan
    i got a text form o2 today saying

I got the same Text today having rang on Friday very pleasant guy tried to put me through to the 'Team' taking care of the contract cancellers! :P
    Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Is this specific to iPhone contracts only ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I had the same arguments from o2 on Friday - the charges won't affect you based upon your call history etc - I just said that they may do in the future and I am not happy to be tied into a contract with such charges and need freedom to move if it becomes an issue.

Round the houses with same discussion twice but in the end, out of nowhere - you are released from your committment, goodbye!!

Just hang in there, as they say on the financial ads past performance is no guarantee of future...remind o2 of that, constantly!

They really have no option but to release you from commitment and without penalty - if they tell you to leave their network speak with Comreg as I am sure what they are doing is not strictly as required by Regulation 17

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭thebiglad

It is the Advance price plans, so any phone on those plans I guess - just more beneficial for Iphones due to the 18 month contracts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

rang last Thursday myself said they would call me back the next day, rang me this morning as I was hungover and it was early asked them to call back, came out of the shower seen a missed call from blocked number the got the following text Thank you for contacting O2.You have now been removed from your contract as per your request. Your services continue as normal. Thank you from O2.
    was very surprised they let me go so easy as my bills are always around 300 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Basically if your phone can call 11811 you can get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Basically if your phone can call 11811 you can get out.

In fairness i think some people could have had this blocked !!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

In fairness i think some people could have had this blocked !!:eek:

Under 12's?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

Got out of mine today with no issues - 2 minute call to O2 - only question asked was if I they could look at my account to see if another package would suit. Said no so it was cancelled there and them.

Cheers guys...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Just called O2 and I'm out. Took less than a minute.

I'm moving. Reception here in my part of Dublin 14 is hopeless.

The question is where to move to........?

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dinarius wrote: »
    The question is where to move to........?
    http://www.askcomreg.ie/mobile/site_viewer.asp

Check who has the closest mast to you.

Seamus,

Thank you so much! :P

There is a Vodafone mast literally 50 meters from me!

Brill!

D.

ps. Explains why my wife's reception is so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 artful_dodger74

I cant believe it was that easy. Spoke to really nice woman who opted me out of my contract straight away & is sending me e-mail confirmation as such.

To be honest, i actually like O2's service. But the fact that i'm not due an upgrade till august puts me out of the running for an iphone 4. Now I'm free to switch to another carrier to get it at launch. Or buy it sim free from the apple website and go onto a cheaper plan.

OP: your a legend for spotting this.

Gotta wonder if O2 are in trouble?

This isn't quite capitulation, but it's close.

They must have paid dearly to have iPhone exclusivity for that period and now they're allowing all those 18 month contracts to leave?! Incredible.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Asked already but got no reply;

What kind of incentives are they offering people to stay on contract? Bump in upgrade level perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Sent an e-mail on Friday and got a call this morning. Asked me what did I not agree to? Told her I just wanted out. Asked if I could switch to another plan but she said no because I have an iPhone I'm locked onto the iPhone plan. Is this true? I said I could go to 3 for a lot cheaper and she said I was free to do so as I'm now out of contract. No incentive was offered to me to stay. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Finally done after about 5 different calls! haha! Cheers a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭omeatheopian

Done after one 5 min call> cheers for posting this

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

Done in about 5 mins as well.
    This is unbelievable, thanks very much OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Dont know if it has been mentioned, but anybody that signs up to O2 now are signing up to the new rates.

I signed up on the 13th June to iphone Advanced 150 plan and rang up there as I had been shown the old rates in store and wanted to see if i could get out. As i signed up on the 13th, the new rates were known and I signed up to those rates. All literature present in the shops should have been the new rates.

Even tho i spoke to carphone warehouse and O2 on the same day and both had the old rates....

So there is nothing O2 can do for me, I was advised to call into the O2 shop I signed up in and see what they can do for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 artful_dodger74

Sent an e-mail on Friday and got a call this morning. Asked me what did I not agree to? Told her I just wanted out. Asked if I could switch to another plan but she said no because I have an iPhone I'm locked onto the iPhone plan. Is this true? I said I could go to 3 for a lot cheaper and she said I was free to do so as I'm now out of contract. No incentive was offered to me to stay. :(

Yeah they switch you to a rolling one month contract with your current plan. I was offered a different plan but it would mean signing a new 18 month contract! You have to laugh. Why the hell would I when i just got out of an 18 month contract. God love her for trying!

I think if you switch plans then you will be signing another contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

I am out of Contract now too, took all of 30 seconds :)
    How do I get my iPhone unlocked now?

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement