Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

guil wrote: »
    exactly, i only got my iphone in dec 09 and i'm out of contract now
    Yeah, same here.

Though I'm still awaiting the text confirmations of my move to o2 Simplicity.

Just got out of contract there - both girls I spoke to said that there had been misunderstanding - that the new charges apply regardless, you are only getting out of your commitment.

Still I had 15 months to run - thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Same here, I'm out of contract having made a call to them on Saturday, and they called me back this morning. Pretty happy with that, since I had just signed up to an 18 month contract and I'm unhappy with the phone that I got (I guess I rushed my research!).

This frees me up to stay or go to another network and get a new phone. Yahoo! Thanks to the OP.

I can only imagine that this will become huge news in the next week or two, and hundreds of thousands of people will end their O2 contracts, just 'cos they can. Very bad news for O2!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

guil wrote: »
    exactly, i only got my iphone in dec 09 and i'm out of contract now

Same as.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dogsbreth

For my money, I am delighted this news has come about. I'm sick of the iphone i got last february, and was dreading having to pay for the shagging thing over the life of a 2 year contract. They are an overpriced phone and underpowered PC, and frankly I'm glad O2 buggered up on this.

I called them up, explained that I am interested in reviewing the contract and asked they explain what the change to terms means to me. Once it was confirmed that my contract was affected, a simple change to my account now means I can use the iphone as an ipod and get a proper phone again.

Thanks to the OP, this one just saved me the best part of €1k. kudos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 series2a

I was just on to customer services and was told that my contract was not affected by the changes. Are all price plans affected or was she delivering bs to keep me on contract?
    p.s I signed up last august and pay €40 a month, but in reality about€85 pm I was also told that the 11811 charge rate was not set by them and this would not affect my t&c

BS or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You have been BS'd.

The 11811 is the get out clause for all contracts.

I wonder could you apply this to their mobile broadband contracts as technically the sims can make chargable voice calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Dear *****,

Following on from your query on our new price plan rates, I can confirm that the contract for mobile phone number *** ******* has now been removed, as requested. Your services continue as normal.

Under Regulation 17 of the European Communities (electronic communications networks and services)(Universal Service and Users’ rights) regulations 2003 an operator shall not shall not less than one month prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification, notify its subscribers to that service of the proposed modification in the conditions of the contract for that service, and their right to withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the modification. If you wish to exercise your right under Regulation 17 please contact O2. The continued use of O2 services after the effective date of the change is deemed acceptance of the change.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to check out www.o2.ie

Kind regards

Cathy

O2 Ireland

Just got this as a confirmation letter from o2.

The bit telling in bold is confusing me - have I not already exercised my right under section 17?

If I want to get off my bill plan now and switch operator what do I need to do?

Simply port to another network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Has anybody with an iPhone recently come out of contract with O2 and just changed to the 20euro simplicity contract plus 7.47EUR for 250mb mobile interent? basically the same package for less.

€20 a month O2 Simplicity: 100 texts, 100mins, free O2 to O2 calls and texts
    €7.47 a month for 250mb data, or €12.50 for 1gb.

€40 a month Advance 150: 100 texts, 150mins, free O2 to O2 callls and texts
    inclusive 2gb data.

I use the iPhone for general news apps and facebook etc and never go over 300mb a month...

Was thinking of getting the iPhone 4 sim free up north and using option 1 to offset the higher initial cost of 730euro for the 32gb. With 5mp camera and HD recording I think the 32gb is a must.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Haddockman wrote: »
    Simply port to another network.

I need to cancel my current plan right?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Has anybody with an iPhone recently come out of contract with O2 and just changed to the 20euro simplicity contract plus 7.47EUR for 250mb mobile interent? basically the same package for less.

€20 a month O2 Simplicity: 100 texts, 100mins, free O2 to O2 calls and texts
    €7.47 a month for 250mb data, or €12.50 for 1gb.

€40 a month Advance 150: 100 texts, 150mins, free O2 to O2 callls and texts
    inclusive 2gb data.

I use the iPhone for general news apps and facebook etc and never go over 300mb a month...

Was thinking of getting the iPhone 4 sim free up north and using option 1 to offset the higher initial cost of 730euro for the 32gb. With 5mp camera and HD recording I think the 32gb is a must.

Big difference there especially if you go nowhere near the 2GB allowed for.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I need to cancel my current plan right?
    Nope. Porting does that automatically.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Nope. Porting does that automatically.

I was out of contract with VF, and ported to 3. because I didn't give them 30 days notice (as per T&Cs) I was hit with the last months charge. I would give them 30 days in writing and port over after 25.

I was on a rolling contract with o2, I ported to VF. I did not inform o2 at all. I received my final bill and it was actually in credit to the tune of €4. So there was no final month charge at all.

Vodafone may have different policies in place.

I was on a rolling contract with o2, I ported to VF. I did not inform o2 at all. I received my final bill and it was actually in credit to the tune of €4. So there was no final month charge at all.

Vodafone may have different policies in place.

Yes, now that you come to mention it, I was in credit with O2 last time I left. Mind you took them 3 months to pay it......

whiterebel wrote: »
    Big difference there especially if you go nowhere near the 2GB allowed for.

YEAH - works out as below if i'm planning on keeping for 2 years:

Belfast: 730 EUR for Phone + (27euro x 24months) = 1378

Dublin: About 300euro on Billpay + (40euro x 24months) = 1260

So 118 EUR plus train ticket plus full day upto Belfast and back. or wait a month or two.... any advice? knawing my fingernails to get one but think 730euro is alot of money up front!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bigjohnny80

YEAH - works out as below if i'm planning on keeping for 2 years:

Belfast: 730 EUR for Phone + (27euro x 24months) = 1378

Dublin: About 300euro on Billpay + (40euro x 24months) = 1260

So 118 EUR plus train ticket plus full day upto Belfast and back. or wait a month or two.... any advice? knawing my fingernails to get one but think 730euro is alot of money up front!

Only u can decide but personally I'd wait

American Apple store is saying 3 weeks for delivery there. So could be a while before we officially see it here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

I phoned O2. They had to ring me back. They rang me back and said that nothing had changed for me and I can't get out of my contract. I asked O2 to state my old 11811 directory enquiry price and my new 11811 directory price. It had gone up. As per European law, they have changed a domestic rate so I want out of my contract. They had to organise another call back. Crazy. O2 are treating me so badly. What can I do to make sure they get me out of contract?

Fungus wrote: »
    I phoned O2. They had to ring me back. They rang me back and said that nothing had changed for me and I can't get out of my contract. I asked O2 to state my old 11811 directory enquiry price and my new 11811 directory price. It had gone up. As per European law, they have changed a domestic rate so I want out of my contract. They had to organise another call back. Crazy. O2 are treating me so badly. What can I do to make sure they get me out of contract?

Threaten to ring ComReg as they are violating the European Directive as they state it themselves in the T&Cs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Just want to say a really big thanks to OP. Fantastic, and couldn't have happened at a better time. (Cracked my iPhone screen last week and dont have insurance).

btw, just noticed other people having problems. They did it for me instantly. Literally took about 30 seconds (after 5 minutes on hold of course). They asked at one point do I feel that the changes will have an impact. I of course said yes they would. After that, no problem.

anybody have a sneaky suspicion that release date for the iPhone 4 will be made available after these "get out on contract" clauses end.

I'd put a tenner on O2 announcing the iPhone 4 on 14th July, with release on 23rd or 30th July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭thebiglad

anybody have a sneaky suspicion that release date for the iPhone 4 will be made available after these "get out on contract" clauses end.

I'd put a tenner on O2 announcing the iPhone 4 on 14th July, with release on 23rd or 30th July.

And how would that benefit o2?

They subsidise the phones by a few hundred euro expecting to have 18 months to recoup. Then releasing people from their contracts in 2-3 months does not make sense

Anyhow they would allow anyone to 'buy out' from their contract if it was simply that they wanted to shift pallett loads of Iphone 4

I think in UK o2 are allow customers to pay an extra £20 per month for remainder of their contract (in addition to subsidised purchase price) to take an Iphone 4 earlier than their upgrade allows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Has anyone come up with any disadvantages of coming out of contract?

Has anyone come up with any disadvantages of coming out of contract?

I was told I couldn't enter contract again for 3 months with O2. Hence ruling out an upgrade if the iPhone 4 where to come out in July/August.

Although the legislation specifically says "no penalty"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I was told I couldn't enter contract again for 3 months with O2. Hence ruling out an upgrade if the iPhone 4 where to come out in July/August.

Although the legislation specifically says "no penalty"

That's what I was thinking aswell. Wonder where we would stand on that, "no penalty" seems pretty conclusive.

thebiglad wrote: »
    And how would that benefit o2?

makes alot more sense implementing this at the very end of a life cycle of a iPhone than waiting until right at the beginning of the next. Imagine if they waited until September and 90% of iPhone 4 customers got out of their contracts straight onto monthly or PAYG arrangements!

makes alot more sense implementing this at the very end of a life cycle of a iPhone than waiting until right at the beginning of the next. Imagine if they waited until September and 90% of iPhone 4 customers got out of their contracts straight onto monthly or PAYG arrangements!

Yes, it does make sense when you put it that way. I must admit I was scratching my head too.....:pac:

whiterebel wrote: »
    Yes, it does make sense when you put it that way. I must admit I was scratching my head too.....:pac:

haha i think the whole situation has dumbfounded us all! imagine the calm in a few months, there'll be nothing to talk about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭savic04

my calls outside of the 150 allowance will be from 20c to 27c which seems a bit much, although I get unlimited GB download, and the new ones will only get 2gv download... so give in one hand and take in the other

im already forking out around 20euro in extra other network calls, so that means by bill swill be even higher... Not happy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement