Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving O2 - but, where should I move to?

Options
  • 22-06-2010 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

1. O2 reception in my part of Dublin 14(!) is dire - both 3G and phone.

2. I use their 250 free webtexts a lot - most of my commonly used numbers are 087, so using any of my 100 SMS would have been a waste. I kept them til I ran out of webtexts (texts to O2 numbers were free) Hence the webtext option - using the EirText Pro app.

Last time I looked Vodafone offered 600 free webtexts a month! Not sure if this is still the case.

So, I want.....

1. Lots of free webtexts.

2. Free calls to numbers on the same network.

3. Free texts to numbers on the same network.

4. Anything else I can get. e.g. will anyone offer me an upgrade to an iPhone 4G if I move to them?

Given the number of contacts I have on 087, it will probably be a move to Vodafone, but I'd appreciate some feedback.

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Did you look at vodafone.ie, three.ie or meteor.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Vodafone's Simply 100 looks tempting.

Free Vodafone to Vodafone calls and texts.

100 minutes.

100 texts

600(!) webtexts

Only 30 day contract.

All for €20 per month.

Add on 1Gb of 3G data for €9.99.

A total of €29.99.

Not bad.

D.

Edited: Just spoke with Vodafone. If I opt for a Simply plan (only a 30 day contract) I will be eligible for an upgrade to the 4G. However, if I take this up, I will have to then switch to a Perfect Choice plan. These are a little more expensive and the contract term is longer.

Looking very much like Vodafone for me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Dinarius wrote: »
    Vodafone's Simply 100 looks tempting.

Free Vodafone to Vodafone calls and texts.

100 minutes.

100 texts

600(!) webtexts

Only 30 day contract.

All for €20 per month.

Add on 1Gb of 3G data for €9.99.

A total of €29.99.

Not bad.

D.

Edited: Just spoke with Vodafone. If I opt for a Simply plan (only a 30 day contract) I will be eligible for an upgrade to the 4G. However, if I take this up, I will have to then switch to a Perfect Choice plan. These are a little more expensive and the contract term is longer.

Looking very much like Vodafone for me.

Right now that you've had a gander.....I left VF because their website/webtext is so bad. Dreadfully slow at updating used minutes/texts - it was out to 8 days at one stage. You can't send more than 5 texts at a time, you have to keep doing the same text time after time to batches of 5. I run a football team, so that was a complete pain in the ass. Worst of all? VF are doing nothing to improve it. A real let down after O2s revamped website. Even Three has a much better interface, although it doesn't so how you sent texts. I have a feeling it does if you schedule them, but VF doesn't have any option to see if they sent or not.

Thanks for the headsup.

I send all my webtexts from the iPhone using the app EirText Pro. Not sure if this will make it better or not.

Thanks again.

D.

Thanks for the headsup.

I send all my webtexts from the iPhone using the app EirText Pro. Not sure if this will make it better or not.

Thanks again.

D.

That should help, especially keeping track, but at the end of the month, if you are tracking your remaining minutes etc, its a train wreck.

• Advertisement

whiterebel wrote: »
    That should help, especially keeping track, but at the end of the month, if you are tracking your remaining minutes etc, its a train wreck.

For tracking my account with O2 I use the My Account app (also made by Vinny Coyne of EirText Pro fame! :))

Is this app available for Vodafone? If so, you should try it. Works a dream on O2.

D.

For tracking my account with O2 I use the My Account app (also made by Vinny Coyne of EirText Pro fame! :))

Is this app available for Vodafone? If so, you should try it. Works a dream on O2.

D.

Don't think so, I moved to Three last week anyway. Theirs updates in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

what package did you get on 3?

etcetc wrote: »
    what package did you get on 3?

Sim only billpay, 350 flexi units per month, doubled to 700 per month after the first month. Advertised at €49 per month, but in the shop they had 25% off which brings it down to €36 p/m, for 6 months. 30 days to get out of contract, or they can move me to an iPhone if I want when it is announced. If I want to leave after 30 days I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭etcetc

Sim only billpay, 350 flexi units per month, doubled to 700 per month after the first month. Advertised at €49 per month, but in the shop they had 25% off which brings it down to €36 p/m, for 6 months. 30 days to get out of contract, or they can move me to an iPhone if I want when it is announced. If I want to leave after 30 days I can.

http://mobileplans.ie/billpaydetail.php?id=11

s
    this one? no data plan as such so just use the flexi units for data

are you on it long? can you check usage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

1. O2 reception in my part of Dublin 14(!) is dire - both 3G and phone.

2. I use their 250 free webtexts a lot - most of my commonly used numbers are 087, so using any of my 100 SMS would have been a waste. I kept them til I ran out of webtexts (texts to O2 numbers were free) Hence the webtext option - using the EirText Pro app.

Last time I looked Vodafone offered 600 free webtexts a month! Not sure if this is still the case.

So, I want.....

1. Lots of free webtexts.

2. Free calls to numbers on the same network.

3. Free texts to numbers on the same network.

4. Anything else I can get. e.g. will anyone offer me an upgrade to an iPhone 4G if I move to them?

Given the number of contacts I have on 087, it will probably be a move to Vodafone, but I'd appreciate some feedback.

Thanks.

D.

I'm in Dublin 14 and the 3 coverage is excellent. Moved from O2 for the same reason as you!

etcetc wrote: »
    http://mobileplans.ie/billpaydetail.php?id=11

s
    this one? no data plan as such so just use the flexi units for data

are you on it long? can you check usage?

Thats the one. Don't know about the 466 minutes though.
    Went on it last week, its as good as instant for the usage. If you go on a call the website is updated in a few minutes. It doesn't separate usage between date calls and texts which I would like. Counter starts at 350 and counts down as you use. Next month will be great with 700 units. There is a place for data usage on the my3 webpage, but I presume that is for data add-ons?

I'm in Dublin 14 and the 3 coverage is excellent. Moved from O2 for the same reason as you!

How many webtexts do 3 offer?

Thanks.

D.

How many webtexts do 3 offer?

Thanks.

D.

333 irish text. vf is 600 international

Thanks for the info.

The fundamental dealbreaker for me is free calls and texts. A quick tally shows that most of my calls and texts are to Vodafone. So, if I really want to use a cheap price plan with only 100-150 minutes, Vodafone is a no-brainer for me - particularly with the 600 webtexts thrown in. I'd never exceed either.

D.

Thanks for the info.

The fundamental dealbreaker for me is free calls and texts. A quick tally shows that most of my calls and texts are to Vodafone. So, if I really want to use a cheap price plan with only 100-150 minutes, Vodafone is a no-brainer for me - particularly with the 600 webtexts thrown in. I'd never exceed either.

D.

And you get free VF to VF weekend calls too on the €29 plan, don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

Thanks for the info.

D.

On the 5th July Vodafone are launching new price plans. They're doing away with the free VF to VF calls. Instead, you nominate 5 numbers from ANY network, and you get free calls and texts to them. Might be worth waiting.

On the 5th July Vodafone are launching new price plans. They're doing away with the free VF to VF calls. Instead, you nominate 5 numbers from ANY network, and you get free calls and texts to them. Might be worth waiting.

Well, well, well............

Just went to Vodafone to move my account and, when I got there, they pointed out that my drivers' licence is 2 months out of date (I've moved house twice in the last ten years) so they wouldn't give me a contract.

Someone up there is looking out for me! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the headsup.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Awesome - I'll be over to that so...

In truth, I'd prefer the status quo of blanket free calls to other Vodafone numbers.

Nominating 5 numbers (even though it's to any network) doesn't amount to a hill of beans if you think about it.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

In truth, I'd prefer the status quo of blanket free calls to other Vodafone numbers.

Nominating 5 numbers (even though it's to any network) doesn't amount to a hill of beans if you think about it.

D.

it does if you have 5 people you callinfinitely more often than anyone else and theyre on different networks :P

Sounds like Voda are going to give another reason for people to be allowed to break their contracts......

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I run a football team, so that was a complete pain in the ass. Worst of all? VF are doing nothing to improve it.
    Hi,
    Looking into changing providers myself at the minute, hence why I was drawn to this thread.

As an aside and a thread hijack for a short time:
    Just to help you out whiterebel, you may not have heard of this year but I help organise a few team sports and have found this site a godsend:
    www.teamer.net

Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭kippy

keane2097 wrote: »
    it does if you have 5 people you callinfinitely more often than anyone else and theyre on different networks :P

Hadnt really factored Vodafone into my investigation but some of the packages mentioned here are interesting.....
    I could pick 5 numbers that I ring a lot and all are on different networks so this could be handy.

kippy wrote: »
    Hi,
    Looking into changing providers myself at the minute, hence why I was drawn to this thread.

As an aside and a thread hijack for a short time:
    Just to help you out whiterebel, you may not have heard of this year but I help organise a few team sports and have found this site a godsend:
    www.teamer.net

Kippy

Hi Kippy, yes I use that, but its not great for messages, if you have a bit to say. Excellent for notifying matches, training etc.

keane2097 wrote: »

Of course.

But, I would lay odds that business users make most of their calls to 087 numbers, making the 2-3 minute calls that most of us make daily.

If those 087 calls are free, then you can manage your minutes allowance to cover all the other calls.

Free calls to five numbers is pefect for teenagers who talk interminably to the same few people, but lousy for most commercial use.

Put it this way, if it wasn't, would Vodafone be changing it?

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

It's better to move house than move to Vodafone :rolleyes:

Advertisement