Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

I think if you switch plans then you will be signing another contract.

Its bull **** as well isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I am out of Contract now too, took all of 30 seconds :)
    How do I get my iPhone unlocked now?

Thanks.
    You have to ask o2 to unlock it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Shredneck

I am out of Contract now too, took all of 30 seconds :)
    How do I get my iPhone unlocked now?

Thanks.

Call O2 with the IMEI (type *#06# on the phone) of the phone you want to get unlocked. If it's
    an iPhone, they send the request to Apple - could take up to 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭Glebee

How long do we have left to cancel contracts guys?

July 11.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Glebee wrote: »
    How long do we have left to cancel contracts guys?
    I believe it's one month after the new call rates were announced. They were announced on the 12th of June. And the website says that if you dont contact O2 before that date (July 12th) you are agreeing to the new call charges for the remaining duration of your contract and after unless you move network or change priceplan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 AlCanDrive55

I'm sure this has been asked to death, but If I went in and bought an iphone 3gs on one of their plans, and then canceled it say the next day due to me "not knowing" about their imminent contract changes, what would happen next?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dublinboi

I'm sure this has been asked to death, but If I went in and bought an iphone 3gs on one of their plans, and then canceled it say the next day due to me "not knowing" about their imminent contract changes, what would happen next?

I doubt it, I would imagine that new customers would be signed up to the plans at the new rates, but checking it out couldn't hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

I purchased the Iphone on June 13th Not knowing the new charges, i was shown the old charges when i signed up. I rang O2 today to inquire and was told nothing I could do as notice had been given and i was aware of the charges. I now have to take it up with the shop..

So basically, you will be stuck in contract!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I purchased the Iphone on June 13th Not knowing the new charges, i was shown the old charges when i signed up. I rang O2 today to inquire and was told nothing I could do as notice had been given and i was aware of the charges. I now have to take it up with the shop..

Argue more. Don't accept them telling you you were aware of the charges when you weren't.

• Advertisement

I'm sure this has been asked to death........ what would happen next?

Yeah it's been asked on pretty much every page of the thread so far.....you'd be stuck in contract. They have announced the changes 'publicly' (on their website) so you'd have no way out that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You can cancel within 7 or 14 days anyways, as per standard terms and conditions. You just can't scam keep the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

The companies should be making it clearer about existing charges, and changes to them. This should take the form of a paper printout given to you in the shop... not some wishy washy statement that the terms are on the website... the websites are hard to use and it's hard to find the relevant info. This is genuine,... if many people in Ireland can't understand the instructions on medicines then what hope have they of finding the correct info on the confusing website?

It's not our problem that large companies appear to be so imcompetent... O2 should be making sure that there's absolutely no doubt that new signups were correctly informed... and I believe this can only be done if they provide the info to each new customer, and really they should be getting the customers signature to prove it... the anecdotal evidence above, from MadDogCollins, is that they're not doing it, and technically MadDog is entitled to break the contract.

But I doubt that O2 will allow MadDog to break contract, even though they're at fault, and I also doubt Comreg would be any help, even if MadDogs complaint is valid.

If you wish to buy a phone now and cancel tomorrow you must get something signed by the seller or the Manager of the shop, saying that the info you've been given is complete and you've signed it.. if he does this and he doesn't tell you about the changed changed charges in the future then you would be entitled to break contract,... but you must have a Managers signature, or other documentary proof, indicating that the incomplete info you've been given in the shop is complete.. if they do this then you would be entitled to break contract, technically.. but probably not in practice.

As I say, the customers shouldn't be punished due to O2s incompetence.

I suppose you could cancel your direct debit and invite O2 to take you to court, they probably wouldn't. Then get your phone unlocked on Meath St.

This would only work if you were given T&Cs in the shop, which don't include any info about the new charges, and these are signed by both yourself and the Manager of the shop... the judge would likely agree that it's not reasonable for customers to have to check immediately for changes to the T&Cs they were just handed by the shop... he would likely ask O2 to demonstrate that they did inform you correctly of the pending changes, and they'd be unable to do so, due to not having anything signed by you. So I reckon they'd lose a court case.

What I mean is, customers should be entitled to believe that the T&Cs they were handed are correct... they shouldn't have to double check them, that's clearly silly. But I believe that O2 are likely not correctly informing customers of the new charges, at point of sale or signup, and so Reg 17 should apply if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

3 calls and two days. But finally got to speak to someone who was civil and professional. The first two people were clowns and tried every trick in the book to make me think it didnt effect me.

'You have not called 11811 in the last year, therefore it probably wont effect you'! What a line.

2 min call today and I am out. Thanks OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭AirsoftMN

What is the most recommended network to move to?

Vodafone or meteor ?

I suppose you could cancel your direct debit and invite O2 to take you to court, they probably wouldn't. Then get your phone unlocked on Meath St.

This would only work if you were given T&Cs in the shop, which don't include any info about the new charges, and these are signed by both yourself and the Manager of the shop... the judge would likely agree that it's not reasonable for customers to have to check immediately for changes to the T&Cs they were just handed by the shop... he would likely ask O2 to demonstrate that they did inform you correctly of the pending changes, and they'd be unable to do so, due to not having anything signed by you. So I reckon they'd lose a court case.

What I mean is, customers should be entitled to believe that the T&Cs they were handed are correct... they shouldn't have to double check them, that's clearly silly. But I believe that O2 are likely not correctly informing customers of the new charges, at point of sale or signup, and so Reg 17 should apply if so.
    Joe, o2 would not bother with court. All they would do is send a few debt collector letters from their friends in Intrum Justitia and then they will drop the matter. Now you would never be able to get another contract from o2.

I would reckon they would blacklist the phone from every network rendering it useless.

Yes, Haddockman, you're probably correct.

But actions like that by O2 would amount to bullying, and would be very unfair. Customers shouldn't have to pay simply because O2 can't get their act together and follow some simple rules.

Is it possible for O2 to block a phone from every network? How is that done? Using the IMEI number I suppose.. but what would give them the right to do it? You are sure that it's technically possible are you? On what grounds could they possibly ban the number from all networks? If they did a Small Claims court case for the full cost of the phone could be in order...

Do you agree that in the scenario I outlined, where someone wasn't told about the pending changes, that a customer should be allowed to cancel the contract under Reg 17, once they become aware of the changes? For example, in MadDog's case above, where he genuinely didn't know about the pending changes?

And would you also agree that if O2 blacklisted the phone and banned the customer for life that that would be very unfair, and would amount to intimidation and bullying?

Would you have any hopes of Comreg supporting the customer?, i.e. would you expect Comreg to help?

Cheers so,

All the networks can blacklist a phone based on the IMEI number. I don't know if o2 would do it in the case outlined above, but anything is possible with them.

I do agree that a person who was not made aware of the changes should be allowed to cancel under reg 17. I doubt Comreg would intervene to be honest.

The only way to resolve the matter would be for o2 to attempt to enforce the contract in a court. But we know they wouldn't do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Yeah they switch you to a rolling one month contract with your current plan. I was offered a different plan but it would mean signing a new 18 month contract! You have to laugh. Why the hell would I when i just got out of an 18 month contract. God love her for trying!

I think if you switch plans then you will be signing another contract.
    Is this true? I was planning on changing down plans as my first 6 months in on July 13th. Will I be then stuck on another 18 month contract? I may as well get off contract now for safety. I plan on sticking with o2 as I don't see much better alternatives. The priciest part of my contract is over which is a shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭sunshinegirly

Thanks for this info. I'm getting a lot of grief from them at the moment. I'd love to change to Vodafone and this seems like the perfect window.

I suppose you could cancel your direct debit and invite O2 to take you to court, they probably wouldn't.

O2 would make several collections calls/letters seeking payment then suspend your service as a result of unpaid invoices, more calls/letters then eventually account would be cancelled and a cancellation of contract fee would be added to the outstanding balance. The IMEI of the handset is blacklisted and the details of the account holder is black listed also (this can be serious if applying for loans/mortgages in the future) If this remains unpaid the dept will be passed to a collections agency who will actively seek payment by any and all means including legal action.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

If you wish to buy a phone now and cancel tomorrow you must get something signed by the seller or the Manager of the shop, saying that the info you've been given is complete and you've signed it.. if he does this and he doesn't tell you about the changed changed charges in the future then you would be entitled to break contract,... but you must have a Managers signature, or other documentary proof, indicating that the incomplete info you've been given in the shop is complete.. if they do this then you would be entitled to break contract, technically.. but probably not in practice.

As I say, the customers shouldn't be punished due to O2s incompetence.

You do get something signed. Your contract. The thing that I'm sure says in the T+Cs that you are aware, and responsible, for all charges relating to your account from the day you sign it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Shredneck wrote: »
    O2 would make several collections calls/letters seeking payment then suspend your service as a result of unpaid invoices, more calls/letters then eventually account would be cancelled and a cancellation of contract fee would be added to the outstanding balance. The IMEI of the handset is blacklisted and the details of the account holder is black listed also (this can be serious if applying for loans/mortgages in the future) If this remains unpaid the dept will be passed to a collections agency who will actively seek payment by any and all means including legal action.

Another first class post by Shredneck, this advice should be stickied too! This is what will happen folks.

O2 are not members of the Irish Credit Bureau so they cannot affect your credit rating.
    Unless the amount owed is substantial i.e. over €1000 they will not bother with court as they will not be able to recover the costs of the case from the debtor as per district court rules a plaintiff in a debt case can only claim scaled costs which are approx €50. For a debt of a few hundred it is simply not feasible to chase.

You are spot on about them blacklisting the handset.

Did you read my post on this?

I'm making the point that if O2 fail to correctly inform customers about the pending changes to the charges at sign up or point of sale then Reg 17 should apply, even if the pending changes are listed on the website. Do you think this is wrong?

Consider MagDog's case.. he asked what the charges were.. and they didn't tell him about the pending changes... so when he found out about them it represents a change to what he signed up for, and Reg 17 should apply, even if the contract is only hours old. It's O2's problem, not his, that O2 failed to correctly inform him of the T&Cs and charges.

So O2 would be out of line to do as you suggest... they would have no grounds to do it. For example, they could do that to any customer at any time.. it wouldn't make it right.

To repeat myself,... it's not the customers problem that O2 can't follow simple rules and inform people correctly of the T&Cs. So if O2 wish not to have contracts cancelled under Reg 17 all they have to do is follow the rules and correctly inform new signups of all the T&Cs at signup, including pending changes.

So in MadDogs case again... he was not informed of the pending changes at sign up, and so, when he became aware of the changes Reg 17 applies to him... Do you disagree?

Chrislad, what's your point? You don't seem to have made one that's relevant. My point is that you must specifically ask O2 what the charges are, and if they fail to tell you about the pending changes then Reg 17 should apply. If they correctly inform you about the pending changes then no problem, Reg 17 doesn't apply and O2 could enforce the contract. But if it went to court they would likely need to demonstrate that they did in fact correctly inform you... which is why I say you need to have something signed indicating that they didn't.

Dyflin. You may be correct, but that doesn't mean that O2 are right.. as I say they can attempt anything, but they could be wrong, and I suggest that they would be if they attempted to do anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I'm making the point that if O2 fail to correctly inform customers about the pending changes to the charges at sign up or point of sale then Reg 17 should apply, even if the pending changes are listed on the website. Do you think this is wrong?

Consider MagDog's case..

Alls I know is you don't f**k with a dude called MadDog.......

Yes I read your post. I posted a response to you as that there was alot of 'ifs' 'shoulds' etc in your contribution so I decided to post what I know, rather than what I think/feel should be the case.

Please note - I am not disagreeing with you

Well, ok then.

But I disagree with that you said. I feel that if someone did this then the issue would be escalated to senior management within O2, and they would choose not to take action... the customer would have to make clear that they will not be threatened or intimidated, and that O2 must take a court case, anything else would be ignored by the customer. O2 will escalate the issue to senior management, and they will likely decline to take a court case.

You'd also have to make clear that if O2 do anything like block the phone or have you listed as a bad debt, or anything else that's negative, that the customer will go to court himself, to sort it out, as the customer hasn't done anything wrong. If O2 can be made to believe that, then I feel they won't do anything negative either. So you'd get a cheap phone, due to O2 inability to follow simple rules. It reflects very badly on O2.

It's a disgrace that O2 can't email a single page to each shop, detailing the pending changes, and require the shops to have the page signed by all new signups, that's all they have to do, .. I think it's pathetic that they can't do so, and I also think it's pathetic that they can't understand why it would be necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I know for a fact that o2 have long memories, stretching back to esat. If you leave them on bad terms or owing money whenever you come back to them they'll remind you of any outstanding balances before you can reconnect, if they even let you. So just be careful if you plan to burn any bridges...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement