Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

i opted out of my contract
    but what does this mean?
    am i still on billpay or can i move top prepay....

Glad to see you did it for all the right reasons and aren't jumping on the bandwagon for no reason!:rolleyes: Surely you should have researched this BEFORE you dived in head first.
    A simple skim through this thread will tell you that you can do what ever you want once you are out of contract. Leave O2, change to prepay sign up for a new tarrif. Up to you.

Baahhhhhhhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

anyone if this applies north of the border as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jvrk

Hi dont know what the name of plan is but its like 350 mins 150 txts and 1gb a month can i opt out of contract only on it like 7 months sorry for been a noob if already asked

Fungus wrote: »
    You can stay with O2 but you are now free to switch tariff plan to a cheaper monthly contract.

If one requests to switch tariff so they not tie you up in another contract then ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

If you change tarrif as far as I'm aware you are locked in to another contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Carol_1985

The trick when dealing with phone companies is to record the phone calls yourself, using something like Total Recall... very hard for them to deny a recording. And often you're given incorrect info, so very handy for that too.

And it's totally legal too, even if they might deny that.. as long as you're an individual, not a business customer.

You can't really rely on them having a recording.. I have never known a company to 'hang themselves, using their own recordings. And they could delete them. Just knowing the time of the call and someones name isn't good enough I don't think.

It is only legal if you advise that you are recording them at the beginning.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

jvrk wrote: »
    Hi dont know what the name of plan is but its like 350 mins 150 txts and 1gb a month can i opt out of contract only on it like 7 months sorry for been a noob if already asked

About 25 times.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Carol_1985 wrote: »
    It is only legal if you advise that you are recording them at the beginning.

They have already advised you that the call is being recorded, so that should cover it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They don't have the capabilities to record all calls. Calls may be recorded, not will be recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I am considering availing of this. When I purchased my iPhone I was not informed that the contract was 18months. I assumed it was the usual 12. I was slightly annoyed by this.

When the guy was detailing the price plan, features and pricing etc he should have mentioned the 18 months!

You could argue that I should have read the contract, but who does this at the counter in front of the sales people with a queue behind you. :confused:

• Advertisement

Haddockman wrote: »
    They don't have the capabilities to record all calls. Calls may be recorded, not will be recorded.

Places like Apple do record all calls, or at least did when I was up there.

Apple is not o2.

It takes alot of storage to store all calls. Places like banks do this because they have to. O2 have no real need to keep all calls bar what they use for quality control and training.

If they are recording everything they need to say "all calls are recorded". They currently do not say this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Apple is not o2.

It takes alot of storage to store all calls. Places like banks do this because they have to. O2 have no real need to keep all calls bar what they use for quality control and training.

If they are recording everything they need to say "all calls are recorded". They currently do not say this.

They refused to give me a recording of a call about a verbal contract change they insisted they made the recording and it was available to the legal team when there taking me to court, going around in circles, do they by law have to provide the recording before they try and take it to court. Do they even have a recording or are they just bluffing, The fake court summons was also a touch of class. Spoofers.

Any recording can be obtained by making a request under section 4 of the Data Protection Act 1988. Send them the prescribed fee of €6.35. They cannot refuse. That would show if they have the recording. You would be entitled to the recording as part of discovery before a trial. O2 are not fond of court as we all know.

Did they really send you a fake court summons? If they did you can open a can of whoopass on them. Seriously, faking court documents will get you jail time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The fake court summons was also a touch of class. Spoofers.

eh thats highly illegal and a pretty strong accusation. You sure it was a court summons and fake? What was fake about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jvrk

whiterebel wrote: »
    About 25 times.
    So I can opt out.

faceman wrote: »
    eh thats highly illegal and a pretty strong accusation. You sure it was a court summons and fake? What was fake about it?

It was a fully legal looking court summons with all my details on it, It has the court address & time on it, I took it down to the garda station and they told me it's missing a number. Sure enough I went off on with them after that, haven't heard from them since.

It was a very cheap trick and an attempt at bullying someone into paying something with the threat of court action. I'm sure a lot of people have got these and probably paid up on the back of it.

It wasn't send direct from o2 but via their debt collection agency. Either way they would be aware this kind of thing is happening in their name. Scumbags!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

It was a fully legal looking court summons with all my details on it, It has the court address & time on it, I took it down to the garda station and they told me it's missing a number. Sure enough I went off on with them after that, haven't heard from them since.

It was a very cheap trick and an attempt at bullying someone into paying something with the threat of court action. I'm sure a lot of people have got these and probably paid up on the back of it.

It wasn't send direct from o2 but via their debt collection agency. Either way they would be aware this kind of thing is happening in their name. Scumbags!

So wait - did the gardai not do something about it ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

eeloe wrote: »
    If you change tarrif as far as I'm aware you are locked in to another contract.
    02 called me randomly about my bills and upon their recommendation I upgraded my package to a higher tarrif. I specifically said to the girl "Does this lock me in or have an affect on my contract" and she said No.

A few months later I called to see how long was left in my contacts, they said something like 15 months. I was not impressed. I called customer service and explained what happened. They said they'd call me back, I was not expecting much and was p1ssed as I wanted the new iPhone. However, they called me back the next day apologising and said I was now free and no longer in contract! I don't intend to leave them I just wanted a new phone. I have to say the 02 customer service is one of the few that constantly impresses me.

Zascar wrote: »
    02 called me randomly about my bills and upon their recommendation I upgraded my package to a higher tarrif. I specifically said to the girl "Does this lock me in or have an affect on my contract" and she said No.

A few months later I called to see how long was left in my contacts, they said something like 15 months. I was not impressed. I called customer service and explained what happened. They said they'd call me back, I was not expecting much and was p1ssed as I wanted the new iPhone. However, they called me back the next day apologising and said I was now free and no longer in contract! I don't intend to leave them I just wanted a new phone. I have to say the 02 customer service is one of the few that constantly impresses me.

Impressed despite them deliberately misleading you? Because thats the way I've always found them to do it.

• Advertisement

This used to standard practice in the UK. I take it these were UK based chancers?
    I reckon the summons they sent was missing the court stamp and clerks signature. It would be enough to convince most people to pay up.

I am surprised the Gardaí did not do anything about it.

Impressed despite them deliberately misleading you? Because thats the way I've always found them to do it.
    There could be alot of regret come July 13.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

No I think she just made a mistake, I don;t think she purposely misled me. Point is they fixed it straight away

This used to standard practice in the UK. I take it these were UK based chancers?
    I reckon the summons they sent was missing the court stamp and clerks signature. It would be enough to convince most people to pay up.

I am surprised the Gardaí did not do anything about it.

Didn't want to be troubling the Garda just wanted to see was it legal he didn't seem to think so that was enough for me to go back to them.

It wasn't uk chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I was always under the impression that a Garda had to hand the court summons to the person it is for. Although if coming from the UK. I don't know as I am no expert, but what there doing. It seems is very very dodgy and they should get into alot of trouble for it. You should seriously think about taking this further.

In terms of your verbal contract. You should bring it up with Comreg. A friend of mine had the same issue. She was told she signed up for another contract by phone. Did not remember it.
    She took the issue to Comreg and was told that. When she was rung. she should have been advised and then passed on to someone else, must be the account department. In order to have renewed her contract.
    So she eventually got out of contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Didn't want to be troubling the Garda just wanted to see was it legal he didn't seem to think so that was enough for me to go back to them.

It wasn't uk chancers.

This isn't troubling the gardai. This a very serious matter they should be following up. Its fraud. And fraud of a court document. I encourage you to either follow it up with them or with the court.

If it was me I would not hesitate. People should not get away with pulling this ****.

I'd rather be having a beer and so probably would the Garda. I'd be annoyed if the Garda started making a fuss about it. I got them to go away, that's all I wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dropthephone

I rang O2 earlier last week and asked them to opt me out of the contract however they said I wasn't eligible since I signed the contract with them in December 2009....wtf....the press release clearly says "O2 customers..." not "O2 customers before or after" So I rang them today and basically said that I was pissed off majorly that I was lied to! They gave me the we'll get someone to call you back on Monday...Come 9 o clock Im ringing!

They should let you out of contract. Some of their agents are playing hardball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭guil

exactly, i only got my iphone in dec 09 and i'm out of contract now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement