Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just checking guys,

These changes apply to billpay and prepay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

can someone answer me some simple questions

If i cancel my contract can i continue with my same number on a month to month contract?

Do i also loose my upgrade if i cancel my contract?

If i decided to get a new (maybe 4g when launched) will i be able to get it for the same price as someone signing up to a new contract?

Thanks

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DryCleanOnly

Just rand up there, 5 mins on the phone and i was out of contract on 2 numbers.

Cheers OP

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭nodolan

Just skim read through the posts, many thanks to the OP (though I saw it on O2's forum first with a link to the OP here).

I had another year to go on contract, I spent six months in Spain and was crippled by extra charges (bill was regularly 100-150 a month) and I'm a PhD student so I'm 'between funding' at the moment so this is a big relief as I've switched over to Pre-pay now (plus there's free WiFi all over Cork city these days so 3G data charges aren't an issue and I can switch off data for the most part as a precaution).

The process was very simple, the O2 person, Joanne, was super helpful and she set me up on a calls & texts to O2 scheme, took my IMEI (type *#06# on your keypad or click on Phone Number (the words not the number) while connected to iTunes - to get it) and unlocked my phone for me. I asked her to send me a confirmation email and it arrived while I was typing this. Rebooted my phone and I was pre-pay.

ONE THING: Make sure you opt out as close to your next bill as possible and/or make sure you use up your remaining minutes/texts/data because AFAIK you'll be getting billed for them regardless!

Overall I'm happy with O2 but they wanted me to sign a new 18 month contract to avail of a different (better) price plan and that makes no sense IMO with the iPhone 4 coming out here next month plus I'd reset my contract so I wouldn't be eligible for an iPhone 4 upgrade any time soon.

BTW: iPhone 3G JB'd and unlocked on iOS4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Shredneck

eoinf wrote: »
    can someone answer me some simple questions

If i cancel my contract can i continue with my same number on a month to month contract?
    Do i also loose my upgrade if i cancel my contract?
    If i decided to get a new (maybe 4g when launched) will i be able to get it for the same price as someone signing up to a new contract?
    Thanks
    Eoin

1. Yes, you continue on same price plan with same number.
    2. No, cancelling your contract will not affect upgrade entitlements unless you actually close your account and move off network or to O2 prepay.
    3. No, I you have an upgrade at that point you may get a discount or you could buy on prepay (if available) for a much higher price. The only way you will get the same offer as a new customer is if you either sign up for another new number or if you have been gone from the network for over 3 months and reopen a bill pay account.

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭kpbryww

The Irish Times have picked up on the story today.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2010/0625/1224273259551.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The lies out of them - "no more cancellations than normal" my hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Tre07

Hey i just call them and there and got put through to their department to deal with the issue.

Guy on phone said i have been cancelled out of my contract and i asked him could i get it in writing and he said it he just did it on computer and there was no need . I asked him and again and and he said there was really no need . So i hope this to be true.

Thanks, for a great thread.

My contract had 18 months to run .

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

I have read through most of the replies and I just want to confirm with those who are out of contract that they kept their unlimited data plan when they got out of their contract?

Thanks,

Moo

Does anyone know if you can also get out of an unlimited price plan in any way as there is no going outside minutes on that one. Have they increased 11811 charges?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

All done. Out of contract and all plans including unlimited data in place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

keane2097 wrote: »
    The lies out of them - "no more cancellations than normal" my hole!

probably a lot of people cancelling the contracts but staying with o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Just did it for both numbers on my account. They were fine about it, she asked me if she could switch me to a different price plan, why I was requesting to get out of the contract, and if I will be leaving O2.

But when I asked for written confirmation she got a bit snotty. She said to take her word for it, and I said I would still like written confirmation, she again said to take her word for it until I insisted. She then said I need to write an email to "reachout@o2.com" and request the written confirmation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Noopti wrote: »
    Just did it for both numbers on my account. They were fine about it, she asked me if she could switch me to a different price plan, why I was requesting to get out of the contract, and if I will be leaving O2.

But when I asked for written confirmation she got a bit snotty. She said to take her word for it, and I said I would still like written confirmation, she again said to take her word for it until I insisted. She then said I need to write an email to "reachout@o2.com" and request the written confirmation.

funny, i cancelled 10 minutes ago and asked for an email confirming and it was no problem, already received it too..

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

Tre07 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can also get out of an unlimited price plan in any way as there is no going outside minutes on that one. Have they increased 11811 charges?

Tre07: I had the same issue as I am on the Unlimited plan. First two calls to O2, both people said that as I have unlimited calls, it didnt effect me. They also told me as I never call 11811, it would effect me wither. Third call they admitted that it was a bluff, and released me. So you can get out, on the 11811 call charge increase.

Tre07: I had the same issue as I am on the Unlimited plan. First two calls to O2, both people said that as I have unlimited calls, it didnt effect me. They also told me as I never call 11811, it would effect me wither. Third call they admitted that it was a bluff, and released me. So you can get out, on the 11811 call charge increase.

Cheers dude just call and it worked. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

If I get taken out of contract but remain with them on the same plan, will I still be offered upgrade options as before?

I don't think I'm eligible an upgrade now but I likely will be in a few months. Would getting out of contract affect that?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭checkyabadself

Just did it there. "sarah" from the development team processed the opting out. I asked her for email/written conformation and she said theres no need as she signed off on it and gave me her name. She asked if I was going to stay with o2. I said yes, and she seemed happy with that.

I got the distinct impression that she had taken hundreds of similar calls this morning as I barely had to say a thing, when she had blurted out "there you are now, you`ve been taken out of contract, thank you goodbye now".

They`d hardly try and contest that I`d opted out down the line now, would they? Surely the calls are recorded and they`d never try and pull a stunt like that with a huge number of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Just did it there. "sarah" from the development team processed the opting out. I asked her for email/written conformation and she said theres no need as she signed off on it and gave me her name. She asked if I was going to stay with o2. I said yes, and she seemed happy with that.

I got the distinct impression that she had taken hundreds of similar calls this morning as I barely had to say a thing, when she had blurted out "there you are now, you`ve been taken out of contract, thank you goodbye now".

They`d hardly try and contest that I`d opted out down the line now, would they? Surely the calls are recorded and they`d never try and pull a stunt like that with a huge number of people.

EDIT: Sorry, misread the question...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Trust me mate.

All calls are recorded. Remember the person's name, and time, and you're grand.

Even if they claim not to have the call, if you are certain on a name and time, it makes it very hard for them as oppossed to someone saying 'I called last month, can't really remember who I was talking to'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Goodshape wrote: »
    If I get taken out of contract but remain with them on the same plan, will I still be offered upgrade options as before?

I don't think I'm eligible an upgrade now but I likely will be in a few months. Would getting out of contract affect that?

I asked them the same question and they said upgrades aren't affected.

Still weighing up whether or not to leave the contract though, up in February and due an upgrade in two months. I did ask them if they could give me any incentive to stay on contract, such as an upgrade price similar to what's offered to a new connection and the girl I spoke to said no.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I asked them the same question and they said upgrades aren't affected.

Still weighing up whether or not to leave the contract though, up in February and due an upgrade in two months.
    If they aren't affected then what's stopping you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 apathetic84

i opted out of my contract
    but what does this mean?
    am i still on billpay or can i move top prepay....

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

Hi ALL

Im not good at all this contract stuff so a few questions.

I have an iPhone 3G on what was iphone 350. If i call them and ask to be removed from contract what are the benefits to me, for instance where i live O2 is the only operator i can get a signal from.

If i exit the contract do i stay with O2 on a plan or how does it work??

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

just pulled out of contract copy of mail below from O2.

Following on from your query on our new price plan rates, I can confirm that the contract for mobile phone number 086xxxxxx has now been removed, as requested. Your services continue as normal.

Under Regulation 17 of the European Communities (electronic communications networks and services)(Universal Service and Users’ rights) regulations 2003 an operator shall not shall not less than one month prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification, notify its subscribers to that service of the proposed modification in the conditions of the contract for that service, and their right to withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the modification. If you wish to exercise your right under Regulation 17 please contact O2. The continued use of O2 services after the effective date of the change is deemed acceptance of the change.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to check out www.o2.ie
    Kind regards

O2 Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 19 murf10

Happy days, {i hope?} just rang 02 and canceled my account,she was nice enough on the phone,but was trying to ask me to change my tariff,i said ill stay the same as i am,and she was ok with that.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭KevArno

I opted out the other day, only took about a minute, was met with no resistance at all. Nothing except they were pushing the o2 blue room as a reason not to leave, but contract was removed with no hassle.
    By the way, people need to stop worrying about this, it is not impacting your terms, you are not cancelling anything, only removing the contract that binds you for a minimum period. They actually did this same thing a few months ago, and my girlfriend opted out back then and it had no impact on her terms.

I phoned back today to ask for email conformation after reading some of the posts here, and got an email sent immediately, as well as starting the ball rolling on the unlocking. It's all very easy and pleasant. :) Cheers OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭JTMan

Hi ALL

Im not good at all this contract stuff so a few questions.

I have an iPhone 3G on what was iphone 350. If i call them and ask to be removed from contract what are the benefits to me, for instance where i live O2 is the only operator i can get a signal from.

If i exit the contract do i stay with O2 on a plan or how does it work??

You can stay with O2 but you are now free to switch tariff plan to a cheaper monthly contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭nodolan

IMPORTANT NOTE:

(Well - important IMO)

Following on from my 'released from contract' post:

I received a text today telling me that I had to top up by €150 to get unlocked - it wasn't clear if I had to top up by €150 all in one go or if it would be cumulative over a few months. I'm not sure as to the legality of this (or the fairness) but I'm not bothered as I'm staying with O2 and I've already done the 'alternative' unlock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

The trick when dealing with phone companies is to record the phone calls yourself, using something like Total Recall... very hard for them to deny a recording. And often you're given incorrect info, so very handy for that too.

And it's totally legal too, even if they might deny that.. as long as you're an individual, not a business customer.

You can't really rely on them having a recording.. I have never known a company to 'hang themselves, using their own recordings. And they could delete them. Just knowing the time of the call and someones name isn't good enough I don't think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement