Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Great spot OP. Two minutes on the phone to O2 and I'm off contract!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,567 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

kjl wrote: »
    Well they make money by not losing a client to vodafone who can offer them an iphone 4g at discount price.

10 times more expensive to get them back and vodafone has better 3g coverage.

:confused: They wouldn't lose them if they were in contract? Why would O2 deliberately mess up and let people out of contract, to 'not lose a client to Vodafone.

I think you must have misread the posts. The discussion was on whether this was a deliberate action by O2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭giardiniera

has anyone who doesnt have an iphone gotten out of contract.
    i called and was told yes my partner could get out of contract, but when he called they said no.
    Please tell me he can get out so we can both leave the sodding network.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

i called and was told yes my partner could get out of contract, but when he called they said no.
    Please tell me he can get out so we can both leave the sodding network.

I have a Blackberry 9700 and I'm now out of contract. I'm on one of the Advance plans with 2gb of data

Yeah, I have a Nokia touchscreen thing and opted out of my contract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭giardiniera

how did you manage to convince them to let you out cause its very annoying we keep getting different stories. first guy when i asked about 11811 changing said no didnt effect him, when i mentioned the regulation 17 thing he said oh yeah he can end it now. but when he rang all he got was no it doesnt effect you.

Any ideas on how to get to talk to someone who knows whats going on.

any help is great.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

Just got out of my business plan. I called twice. The first time the woman said I was not affected. The second time I asked which contract I was on first. She said advance 350. I asked was this affected by the changes. She said yes. I said I didnt agree, she put me through to someone else who cancelled it for me with no questions asked.

Got the phone mid May!!!

And this is the second time I did this to O2 although the last time was in London. :D

Thanks OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Any ideas on how to get to talk to someone who knows whats going on.

Call the Communications Regulation Commission - their website for consumer queries and complaints is here: http://www.askcomreg.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

All done!!

Thanks OP :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

if i walked into 02 today and brought a iphone 3gs on contract. could i ring up tomorrow and say i don't agree with the changes. would be a nice present for the other half

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

if i walked into 02 today and brought a iphone 3gs on contract. could i ring up tomorrow and say i don't agree with the changes. would be a nice present for the other half
    No - it only applies to people who signed contracts prior to June 12th. Nice try though:P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think someone else said earlier that a silver upgrade would get you about 20euro off the PREPAY iPhone price.
    exactly, cover your bets, silver upgrade is worth nothing, gold might get you a bit more off but it's still not the best you can get.
    A silver upgrade is useful on billpay. I used a silver upgrade to get the 3GS for €199 (on signing a new contract).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Dades wrote: »
    A silver upgrade is useful on billpay. I used a silver upgrade to get the 3GS for €199 (on signing a new contract).

I got the 32gb 3gs for €129 on a gold upgrade but at the same time they were giving them free to new contracts on the same tariff.

The only reason i didnt move to Vodafone was at the time they were sellign them through their 3rd party seller and they had no 32gb's. In terms of upgrades i think you will get much better deals by switching networks, than upgrading!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

In terms of upgrades i think you will get much better deals by switching networks, than upgrading!
    Quite possibly - which is why I'm happy to be out of contract in a few weeks! I just wanted to get the point across that a silver upgrade isn't quite useless, if for example you want to stay with O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

probably not the right thread to ask, but seeing as alot of peeps are jumping ship, do VF have an iphone app like the o2 my account app,

In fairness to o2, I reckon their price plans and add ons are superior to Vodaphone ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Legend!! Just got it sorted. Seems they have a special person to try and talk you out of it now. Anyhow no problems.

Thank you OP!!

And in fairness to O2 - they taking it on the chin. I'll still stay with them since in my experience they are the best operator in the IRish market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Shredneck

BOBBY wrote: »
    probably not the right thread to ask, but seeing as alot of peeps are jumping ship, do VF have an iphone app like the o2 my account app,

Not sure. I just had a look on the App store and there was nothing I could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

RoverJames wrote: »
    In fairness to o2, I reckon their price plans and add ons are superior to Vodaphone ones.

That's the bit that's baffling me with some of the posters, why leave o2 for Vodafone your just going to have bigger bills and worse coverage. It makes no sense. At least with Meteor & 3 you'll probably save some money, but a step to vodafone is like a step backwards you'd be better off with o2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

That's the bit that's baffling me with some of the posters, why leave o2 for Vodafone your just going to have bigger bills and worse coverage. It makes no sense. At least with Meteor & 3 you'll probably save some money, but a step to vodafone is like a step backwards you'd be better off with o2.

Who said anything about leaving for vodafone ? Staying with O2 but not being in an 18month contract is great thou.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

connundrum wrote: »
    Just emailed, cos I'm lazy like that..

To Whom It May Concern,

Due to the recent rate amendments as detailed in your 'Customer Notification', I would like to withdraw without penalty from my contract as I do not accept the modification. This right is afforded to me by Regulation 17 of the European Communities (electronic communications networks and services) - as quoted on your 'Customer Notification'.

Please note that I wish to continue using 02's services as normal, but obviously without the existing contract. The right to do this is again afforded to me by the same Regulation 17 i.e. ‘without penalty’.

Please confirm that this action has been taken.

Thanking you.

Well it has been logged anyway. 49 hours and counting :pac:
    Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting O2 Customer Care.

You will receive a response to your query from an O2 representative within 72 hours. Should you need any information in advance of this, please visit our most Frequently Asked Questions on O2.ie

Alternatively, you might like to leave a comment or ask a question on our interactive O2 Forum

Kind Regards,

O2 Customer Care

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Who said anything about leaving for vodafone ? Staying with O2 but not being in an 18month contract is great thou.

The biggest advantage is it gives people options

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Finally out of contract today after trying since Wednesday.

Took a few phone calls and an email and not only out of contract but unlock code on the way :cool:

Seems their heads are wreaked in the call centre so be gentle folks they all know the deal in there but are under tremendous pressure to try and stem the flow of customers canceling.

Thanks for the heads up OP I reckon you have earned enough pints at this stage for a night on the beer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Shredneck

Bluehair wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up OP I reckon you have earned enough pints at this stage for a night on the beer :D

Yeah, but where do I cash them in? :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Shredneck wrote: »
    Yeah, but where do I cash them in? :)

Any O2 shop???:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bigjohnny80

Apologies if covered but this is quite a long thread:

Does this cover also mobile broadband contracts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

I have another 6 months to go on my contract. I'm on Advance 175. I never use all my minutes or texts and my average internet use is only 326mb! I do like my iPhone though and would like the new one when it becomes available. What are my options if I get out of contract with 02? Switch to Meteor bill pay smart lite for €30? I have an unlock code which I haven't activated yet. If I change to PAYG would I not end up paying a whack for data usage? :confused:

I have another 6 months to go on my contract. I'm on Advance 175. I never use all my minutes or texts and my average internet use is only 326mb! I do like my iPhone though and would like the new one when it becomes available. What are my options if I get out of contract with 02? Switch to Meteor bill pay smart lite for €30? I have an unlock code which I haven't activated yet. If I change to PAYG would I not end up paying a whack for data usage? :confused:

I havent been on PAYG for years but i believe on most of the networks payg plans you can purchase a data add on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

whiterebel wrote: »
    Any O2 shop???:eek:

Yeh they'd love to see him coming :D

Ah screw it, the only way I'm getting an iPhone 4 next month is due to Shredneck, so how bout a boardies meet-up in Dublin town next month with our shiny new iPhones and the beers are on us? :)

• Advertisement

Bluehair wrote: »
    Yeh they'd love to see him coming :D

Ah screw it, the only way I'm getting an iPhone 4 next month is due to Shredneck, so how bout a boardies meet-up in Dublin town next month with our shiny new iPhones and the beers are on us? :)

how about we all go to seperate wifi enabled bars and all use ichat on our new phones to talk :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement