Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Will someone post anything related to it here. Such as article from Conor etc. Am very interested to hear what he has to say about it. Since there are conflicting offers on what happens once you are released from your contract.

Just joined O2, not even a month ago, and would love to be released from the 18 month contract but would love the ability to stay with them for as long as I want. Got myself a HTC Desire for €169 on the €40/month contract at the start of June. Anyone have a similar situation as me. Were you asked to leave O2 or could you stay on your current price plan?
    Would I have to give the phone back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Will someone post anything related to it here. Such as article from Conor etc. Am very interested to hear what he has to say about it. Since there are conflicting offers on what happens once you are released from your contract.

Just joined O2, not even a month ago, and would love to be released from the 18 month contract but would love the ability to stay with them for as long as I want. Got myself a HTC Desire for €169 on the €40/month contract at the start of June. Anyone have a similar situation as me. Were you asked to leave O2 or could you stay on your current price plan?
    Would I have to give the phone back?

My brother is identical to your situation (HTC Desire, 40pm, 18 month contract since end of may) and after calling them he is now out of contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

cookie1977 wrote: »
    My brother is identical to your situation (HTC Desire, 40pm, 18 month contract since end of may) and after calling them he is now out of contract.

Identical position to me. Bought HTC desire on 40 pm, 18 month contract, now I'm free woohoo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

cookie1977 wrote: »
    OI wrote: »
    Identical position to me. Bought HTC desire on 40 pm, 18 month contract, now I'm free woohoo
    And are both of the people given in these examples still on the €40 p/m but basically on a rolling month contract? Are you still on Bill Pay but not tied to a contract?

I haven't even paid a bill yet.;)

And are both of the people given in these examples still on the €40 p/m but basically on a rolling month contract? I haven't even paid a bill yet.

In my brothers case yes. Remember be polite but persistent. Key points are Under the regulations
    Without Penalty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

I phoned yesterday after 5 they said the team that deal with it will ring me Today. Rang at 11am they said the team are busy and will ring me during business hours today . No call. Are they trying to fob me off? Anyone been on to them after 5 pm andgot released from contract ?

L5 wrote: »
    I phoned yesterday after 5 they said the team that deal with it will ring me Today. Rang at 11am they said the team are busy and will ring me during business hours today . No call. Are they trying to fob me off? Anyone been on to them after 5 pm andgot released from contract ?

I spoke with them 2 days ago at 6.30pm. I was immediately released from contract

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

It's all abOut the timing o getting through, I rang this morning, was on hold for the team, call bounced back, I asked to try again, then was tol someone would ring me tomorrow. Rang back then at 4:45. The girl had asked were I read about the pricing changes just said off the o2 site. Gt through to the team. Nothing said he just said that I only go over my minutes a little bit, an he released me. I asked him if I continueto use the network could I upgrade, he said yes in 6 months time(I'd be with them a yea then) I also asked if I am still on the network by the 12th will I be taken I am back on the new contract for my remaining time. He said no.
    Grand like I don't think I'd go back to any netwok, but ta just nice to know f anything happens I can change

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Availed of this little beauty of EU law
    earlier this morning. Well done Shredneck - I've enjoyed some bargains courtesy of Boards,but this has to take the biscuit.

Incidentally,I called 1909 earlier this afternoon and the whole process went extremely smoothly. I've
    stayed on a rolling contract with o2 bit will have a look out for cheaper alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

And are both of the people given in these examples still on the €40 p/m but basically on a rolling month contract? Are you still on Bill Pay but not tied to a contract?

I haven't even paid a bill yet.;)

Precisely and nor have I. Things like this never happen to me. Someone mentioned karma earlier but really this is karma for the big corporation who has been squeezing the little guy for years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dougs09

im sorry if im covering old ground, but, without reading the thread, as there is alot of stuff there to read, but, am i legally in a position now to get out of my contract?

cause i'm just letting to roll along and let it run out, as i unlocked my iphone ages ago and using my vodafone in it, so if this is true, then i can get out of it and save myself fifty quid a month.

would they be gettig stuborn and try there best to get out of it? cause i need to know where i would stand in quoting stuff covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Dunnie1982

I just rang a few minutes ago and got told that I'll recieve a call monday or tuesday from O2 as there is nobody working at weekends who can deals with contracts. I don't know if its just them fobbing me off or not but I didn't want to seem rude on the phone. If not I'll persist daily until I get released. I got my iPhone on 31st of may and this will be great as long as I can still stay on a month to month rolling bill.

I got mine 26th of june last year, i'm gonna ring em up monday afternoon when i come home from work and try get it sorted.

this is excellent news though

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

dougs09 wrote: »
    im sorry if im covering old ground, but, without reading the thread, as there is alot of stuff there to read, but, am i legally in a position now to get out of my contract?

cause i'm just letting to roll along and let it run out, as i unlocked my iphone ages ago and using my vodafone in it, so if this is true, then i can get out of it and save myself fifty quid a month.

would they be gettig stuborn and try there best to get out of it? cause i need to know where i would stand in quoting stuff covered?

At least read the first page or two of the thread. All is explained.

yeah i planned to read over em once i posted seeing if it was indeed true.

im not the best at reading terms and conditions though lol

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

dougs09 wrote: »
    yeah i planned to read over em once i posted seeing if it was indeed true.

im not the best at reading terms and conditions though lol

There isn't much to it, TBH, its a quick read, and well, well worth it if you want out.

damn right i want out of it

i enquired about it a few months back and they said they wanted me to pay em 45 a month for 8 months, damn gangsters

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

connundrum wrote: »
    Well it has been logged anyway. 49 hours and counting :pac:

Emailed them via query form.

Rec'd a phonecall today from a lovely woman who went through all my options etc.

I'm out of contract, will continue paying bill, can leave the network at any stage.

Happy out

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Got a callback from O2 today (must say that I can't fault the staff at all - very courteous and no faffing about). Now out of contract, but on a rolling monthly for time being, as I'd just paid for the next month. I may switch to PAYG in a few weeks and weigh up my options for iPhone 4 next month.

yeah i might actually just switch to PAYG and then i can go for iPhone 4 and jailbreak it if need be, or, go with vodafone, but it leaves me open for more options i guess, and without that damn contract still hanging over my head, makes it all the better.

i'd rather go down the vodafone route though without having to run with a tethered unlock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

So i signed the contract on advance 150 on the 7th of june. Got a htc desire for 120 euro.

However they had difficulty porting the number and it didnt actually go through until saturday the 12th.
    I will ring them monday to see where i stand I hope to god I can get out of the contract.

It will hopefully be from when i signed.

Btw Thanks op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Salvation

Just did it there, very nice and they said they would call me Monday.

Staying with O2 but if I have to move no strings.

Thanks for the information

I tried calling there but they said another team deals with it and they have logged it on my account and I'll get a call back Monday/Tuesday latest.

Was I fobbed off? Just say the word and I'll ring back again.

so we have to get it logged onto our account that we tried to get out of it now, so that they can't say we're too late?

cause if they are saying you have to wait until the weekday, i might just hang on and do it monday, as opposed to going through it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

I tried calling there but they said another team deals with it and they have logged it on my account and I'll get a call back Monday/Tuesday latest.

Seems things are mental for the call centre.

They all know the deal by now though the official line is to push customers through to the 'retention team'. I politely told them I knew what was on offer and just wanted off the contract. Seconds later and it was done with a (requested) email conformation a few hours later.

Be firm but polite, the agent who answers the phone can do it for you it's just they are being told to try and push people through to this rentention team. Once you make it clear that's only going to be a waste of their time, and yours, it will be done no probs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The normal customer care team DO have the power to cancel your contract however, since Thursday thay have adopted the policy of pasing you over to their contract retention team who will try to talk you out of cancelling.
    If you really want it cancelled today, call back, be firm but polite and tell them that you have no interest in speaking to the retention team, that you have made up your mind and wish to invoke regulation 17 which allows you to be removed from your contract without penalty as is your right.
    Also make it clear that you which to stay on the network on a rolling monthly contract, if thats what you wish to do of course, and that any upgrades etc due to you remain intact.

Good Luck

They told me there that they could'nt as they did'nt have the facility and tried to put me through to the retention team but there was a queue so I am scheduled a call back Monday.

I will give it until after 2pm Monday if no call I will call them again and get it cancelled :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Jeesh I wonder what kind of numbers they are loosing from contracts here ?

It took one keen eye to notice it and 1000's leave.

Surely you would think they would offer you say a top of the range upgrade and a discounted plan for a few months to stay...

Vodafone and others must be rubbing their hands together in blissful Glee !!

• Advertisement

Salvation wrote: »
    It took one keen eye to notice it and 1000's leave.

Surely you would think they would offer you say a top of the range upgrade and a discounted plan for a few months to stay...

Vodafone and others must be rubbing their hands together in blissful Glee !!

Remember vodafone can suffer the same fate too if they change contract T&C. I'd say they're (networks) all very worried about this. Suddenly and all at once the consumer knows their rights!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement