Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

Does anybody know if I can use this as a sneaky way to get a cheap iPhone 4G near launch day? My upgrade doesn't come into being until September, but if I got out of the contract using this now (staying on the 30 day contract), could I simply walk into an O2 shop and sign back on to a contract once the iPhone comes out, getting the cheap rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Right I have cancelled my contract now and been moved onto a month by month basis now.

Very easy no arguments with the rep at all he just cancelled it.
    Tried to tell me I wouldnt really be affected as i rarely go over my allocated minutes, I said I dont care I dont really want to be tied in and the T & C's have changed.

Done got an email from the rep confirming it and baam im a free agent.

To those who are getting told they have to leave o2 what is your average monthly spend?

Im wondering if that has anything to do with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

cookie1977 wrote: »
    What did I say wrong. They are all affected by the same ruling.

This thread is about how O2 have changed their terms, and how these changes, as a result of Regulation 17, allow customers to get out of their contracts early.

Your post suggested that all operators were making similar changes, which means that anyone with a contract affected by them could get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

zoro wrote: »
    This thread is about how O2 have changed their terms, and how these changes, as a result of Regulation 17, allow customers to get out of their contracts early.

Your post suggested that all operators were making similar changes, which means that anyone with a contract affected by them could get out.

They do make changes. Regularly. In those links both Vodafone and three are affected by the regulation right now. I never pretended that any customer could get out of any contract. You're being obtuse. The post was informative. Interpret as you wish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

slasher_65 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if I can use this as a sneaky way to get a cheap iPhone 4G near launch day? My upgrade doesn't come into being until September, but if I got out of the contract using this now (staying on the 30 day contract), could I simply walk into an O2 shop and sign back on to a contract once the iPhone comes out, getting the cheap rates?

Yes. You will be out of contract. You can sign up for a new contract no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

It doesn't look like there is a current "get out" clause for Meteor customers. Is that correct?

It doesn't look like there is a current "get out" clause for Meteor customers. Is that correct?

correct. But check back often

quad_red wrote: »
    Yes. You will be out of contract. You can sign up for a new contract no problem.

That is really odd. You would think they would put safeguards up against little asses like me who are going to get a €299 iPhone 4 two months before they should be able too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Just emailed, cos I'm lazy like that..
    To Whom It May Concern,

Due to the recent rate amendments as detailed in your 'Customer Notification', I would like to withdraw without penalty from my contract as I do not accept the modification. This right is afforded to me by Regulation 17 of the European Communities (electronic communications networks and services) - as quoted on your 'Customer Notification'.

Please note that I wish to continue using 02's services as normal, but obviously without the existing contract. The right to do this is again afforded to me by the same Regulation 17 i.e. ‘without penalty’.

Please confirm that this action has been taken.

Thanking you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

cookie1977 wrote: »
    ...You're being obtuse. The post was informative. Interpret as you wish

Obtuse? Possibly.
    Either way, this argument is ridiculous. Carry on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

slasher_65 wrote: »
    That is really odd. You would think they would put safeguards up against little asses like me who are going to get a €299 iPhone 4 two months before they should be able too.

does anybody know the price of a new customer iPhone versus Gold upgrade? surely they couldnt penalise current customers, i've had the 3G for 2 years now!

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

thanks for this !

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭pbarry

Done, no probs at all, was very quick. Out of contract, still on 02, service will stop when I move to a new network and port the no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

it took 2 phone calls yesterday and another one today but I finally got put through to someone who could sort it

Now to look up cheaper options

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Just FYI:
    Called into 3 here in Midleton. Waiting for iPhone4, but sick of VF's web "service". Out of contract with VF.
    So, I was asking about best of both, sim-free 1 month contract, which sounded ok, until I make my decision with iP4 comes out. Anyhoo, 300 flexi-units, minutes or MB, unlimited texts and I can go on a bill pay when the iPhone is released IF I WANT TO.

Better again, she advises me, that I can go on Relax 350 (Doubled at the moment to 700 flexi-units) on a SIM only deal, which is also 30 DAYS CONTRACT. Its is 25% cheaper at the moment so approx €36 per month, and I can do the same when iP4 is released, buy it as a brand new contract, if they are offering the best deal.

I thought this is a really sweet deal, and being a bit nervous of 3, gives me a month to try it out. No, I have no affiliation with Three.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

whiterebel wrote: »
    Just FYI:
    Called into 3 here in Midleton. Waiting for iPhone4, but sick of VF's web "service". Out of contract with VF.
    So, I was asking about best of both, sim-free 1 month contract, which sounded ok, until I make my decision with iP4 comes out. Anyhoo, 300 flexi-units, minutes or MB, unlimited texts and I can go on a bill pay when the iPhone is released and in stick, IF I WANT TO.

Better again, she advises me, that I can go on Relax 350 (Doubled at the moment to 700 flexi-units) on a SIM only deal, which is also 30 DAYS CONTRACT. Its is 25% cheaper at the moment so approx €36 per month, and I can do the same when iP4 is released, buy it as a brand new contract.

I thought this is a really sweet deal, and being a bit nervous of 3, gives me a month to try it out. No, I have no affiliation with Three.....:D

I don't fully understand. How much will you pay for the iphone be when it's released? And will you be constrained into a contract?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

quad_red wrote: »
    I don't fully understand. How much will you pay for the iphone be when it's released? And will you be constrained into a contract?

I'm not tied into anything yet. I can make my decision when o2, VF and 3 announce their plans and prices. Like a lot of people here will have, I have an unlocked iPhone, but don't want to tie into a long contract with iPhone 4 coming out.

To those who are getting told they have to leave o2 what is your average monthly spend?

Im wondering if that has anything to do with it!

€80/month, €20 of that is for mobile broadband, rest is the phone tariff and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Can you still get an unlock code after bailing on your contract? Or can they do both for you on the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

snappieT wrote: »
    Can you still get an unlock code after bailing on your contract? Or can they do both for you on the phone?

Yes, I did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 artful_dodger74

I may be wrong but if you get out of your contract with O2 then you have to wait 3 months before you are considered a "new customer". So under those terms getting an iphone4 would be out of the question. Well with O2. Nothing stopping you going to another carrier.

I may be wrong but if you get out of your contract with O2 then you have to wait 3 months before you are considered a "new customer". So under those terms getting an iphone4 would be out of the question. Well with O2. Nothing stopping you going to another carrier.

You're correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭kingshankly

what an excellent thread well done op. here's my scenario resigned last year on an 18 month contract for the 3gs. have be really pi##Ed of with reception lately constantly getting no service, see this ad an opportunity to move to vodafone will they just let me leave seeing as my bills are usually 300-400 a month.

If you request to leave you could ask them what would the offer you to re-sign a contract again now? Otherwise you're free to leave.

There are reports (http://forums.o2online.ie/forums/showthread.php?11968-O2-iPhone-Customers-Get-out-of-contract&p=126099&viewfull=1#post126099) that you get to keep your upgrades if you do this. Does anybody else have knowledge of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 sheehanpaul

Thanks to OP.
    Great spot.

Out of contract now, cc staff seem to be a lot better informed today than they were yesterday.
    They seem to have rolled back on the forced porting away from o2 option, which was a ridiculous stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Was told that there's a special team doing this today, but that the girl couldn't get through. Callback arranged, but will be following up myself once lunch is over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Shredneck

snappieT wrote: »
    Was told that there's a special team doing this today, but that the girl couldn't get through. Callback arranged, but will be following up myself once lunch is over.

I doubt you will get a call back before lunch. The retentions team will be overrun with incoming calls today coupled with a backlog from yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

Ya 3rd time lucky.

Having tried twice yesterday and being told I would have to port...

today was straight forward...she said yesterdays information about having to port was incorrect.

So I'm now out of contract,still with 02 and she gladly unlocked my phone for me also(well put the request through, takes 14days or so). :D

• Advertisement

cc staff seem to be a lot better informed today than they were yesterday.
    They seem to have rolled back on the forced porting away from o2 option, which was a ridiculous stance.

HBK wrote: »
    she said yesterdays information about having to port was incorrect.

The two ladies I spoke to today were still insisting I had to port away. Still waiting in a call back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement