Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 iPhone Customers - Get out of contract!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Tony_Yeboah

This is mental!

Just signed an 18 month contract on 4th June for a 16gb iphone. The girl I spoke to did point out that i have yet to even receive a bill! She tried talking me out of it but eventually gave up. Out of my contract!

Might go prepay. Will have to look around and see whats on offer.

Great thread. Thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

I hope somebody DOES ring Joe Duffy about it. Could be amusing to see the aftermath. Might be a slightly louder way to tell O2 and the other networks that their current pricing is mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Fionagus wrote: »
    you're making it sound as if they're doing me a favour by deigning to take €150 from me each month!

As I said it wouldn't make business sense but that doesn't mean they can't do it. The reason I'm pointing it out is that it seems that people are starting to think they are entitled to more out of this then they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Im on advance 175 ,they allowed me to stay on a rolling contact no probs.There was still 10 months left on the contract sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

As I said it wouldn't make business sense but that doesn't mean they can't do it. The reason I'm pointing it out is that it seems that people are starting to think they are entitled to more out of this then they are.
    Fair enough

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Haddockman wrote: »
    Probably not that many people are availing of this. But if it got onto Joe Duffy it would snowball.
    Yeah but I can't see too many members of Joe Public really caring about this. Internet peoplez are different.

If you could instantly re-sign and get a free phone or something, maybe. But as it is you risk getting kicked off the network and having to sign up with someone else pronto. To most people this would just be hassle.

But for those with expensive, heavily subsidised handsets and looong contracts, it's great.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

rebeve wrote: »
    Im on advance 175 ,they allowed me to stay on a rolling contact no probs.There was still 10 months left on the contract sweet.

same although I reckon I'll shoot over to 3 pay or metoer pay as you go very shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jacko493

Dades wrote: »
    . But as it is you risk getting kicked off the network

You don't, and customer service reps that are saying this are misinformed

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

claudio...just do it

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Called them again , Now on a monthly Business contract with No penalty if I move network .

THANKS OP !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Sure just look at the amount of people on here who are staying with O2 even though they have finished their contract. Presumably they will all be paying the new price hikes anyway and still paying their bills every month so O2 aren't losing that much money unless they move to another Provider.

this is the bit i'm most surprised about as i watch it unfold. when the iphone was announced on O2 everybody was excited. when the new iphone price plans were announced to go with the phone, people were up in arms as they were a "rip off".

right now, at this unforseen moment, there are so many people who have a really cheap iphone and the freedom to choose whichever plan and provider they like. . .yet a lot of people are arguing to stay on the current plan :confused:

i'd be gone like a shot - i'm assuming the unlock codes are being given as withholding of these could fall under the "penalty" category. there are several sim only plans, non-fixed term plans out there which provide better value.

and the cherry! granted you might have to spend 3 months off O2 to be regarded as a new customer if you return but don't the networks have better deals for "new" customers i.e. you'll get your iphone4 even cheaper in 3 months time????!

still bitter about missing out on this though even though i'm an android user

apologies for spellings and grammar, typed very quickly on my hero

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jacko493

theteal wrote: »
    this is the bit i'm most surprised about as i watch it unfold. when the iphone was announced on O2 everybody was excited. when the new iphone price plans were announced to go with the phone, people were up in arms as they were a "rip off".

right now, at this unforseen moment, there are so many people who have a really cheap iphone and the freedom to choose whichever plan and provider they like. . .yet a lot of people are arguing to stay on the current plan :confused:

They're not arguing to stay on the current plan, they're arguing about not being given the option to, which is different. Anyway those being told they can't stay on their current plan are being misinformed

jacko493 wrote: »

Yep, the o2 dude who rang me confirmed the two I spoke to earlier were incorrect, in fairness they were only doing what they no doubt thought was correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Going to make the call - currently on bill pay advance 350 - if they will not allow me stay on bill pay which of the pre-pay packages would be equivalent with data/calls etc - have checked the o2 website but I cannot see it.

Just want to be prepared for all eventualities and do not really want to move off to Vodaphone so if cannot keep bill pay on 30 days notice want pre-pay.

This was a great post bet its in the Herald AM tommorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I never got the callback I was promised, so I called back myself and was put through to customer retentions. They tried to disuade me from changing by saying that I hadn't gone over my minutes or texts... however, what's to say that I won't?

Then they started a spiel about the O2. But in fairness, very very few bands I listen to play there.

So, I'm now out of contract. Gonna do some investigations and move to the best SIM only plan for me on another provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Cheers OP, just cancelled my contract with O2, fairly painless, was about 15 mins on the phone. About 12 of that was on hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

Cheers OP wouldn't have noticed that now I'm contract free...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

Just rang there and was told that the department that handles the contracts

was closed at 5. Anyone else get that?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

jacko493 wrote: »
    That sounds like a risk as far as Joe Public is concerned, no? :)

I'm not in this contract boat btw, just commenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tcjjr

Got out of my contract despite 02's best efforts. Any ideas where to go from here, looking forward to see what 3 will offer for the iphone? What options are you guys considering?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

tcjjr wrote: »
    What next?

I've been a customer of every one of the mobile service providers in Ireland over the last 12 years or so. I have to say that in terms of customer service, O2 have been head and shoulders above their competitors. Having exited the contract today, I'd be in no rush to return to anyone else unless they were offering some incredible deals.

I'd suspect that there might be a few marketing departments sitting around trying to come up with plans to lure all of the 'newly freed spirits' away from O2. Does anyone have any idea how many contracts have been terminated in the last 36 hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

tcjjr wrote: »
    Got out of my contract despite 02's best efforts. Any ideas where to go from here, looking forward to see what 3 will offer for the iphone? What options are you guys considering?

I'm going for Meteor Bill Pay Smart Lite for €30. 200 minutes, 200 texts and 1Gb of data with only 30 day notice required to cancel. Minutes and texts are more than I have with o2 and the package is cheaper. :)

Also they have an offer on their site now for free calls & texts from Meteor to Meteor. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

Got out of my contract there, told that my upgrade isnt affected and that i will continue on my previous plan, just free to leave when i want and no contract hanging over me...... happy days!!!!:D

What does a silver upgrade entitle one to by the way...?

wonder if O2 will try and get all these customers back??

With 3 and vodafone offering the new iphone 4, im hoping it will be great for the customer, proper contracts and prices, fed up having to sign 18 month contracts its madness!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

srdb20 wrote: »
    Got out of my contract there, told that my upgrade isnt affected and that i will continue on my previous plan, just free to leave when i want and no contract hanging over me...... happy days!!!!:D

What does a silver upgrade entitle one to by the way...?

wonder if O2 will try and get all these customers back??

With 3 and vodafone offering the new iphone 4, im hoping it will be great for the customer, proper contracts and prices, fed up having to sign 18 month contracts its madness!!!

Vodafone are enforcing 18 months contracts, I can see Three doing the same, hopefully not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I have been on the advance 350 now for 6 months, I am going to cancel my contract tomarrow and continue bill pay as normal. Am I still entitled to get an upgrade when the iphone 4 comes out even if cancelling my contract now? I am going to give my 3gs to my sister but I am concerned that if I am not entitled to an upgrade, 02 will not allow me to sign a new contract for 3 months if I cancel my current contract tomarrow....

Reading conflicting posts all over the place about this, don't know whats what..

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭ct_roy

was just on to customer support there now.
    my contract has already expired so I was just ringing to make it had otherwise I was envoking article 17.

He was one of the better cs guys - so I was just shooting the breeze telling him i'd seen this thread etc.. Apparently they've had a crazy day in there today with tons and tons of people exiting contracts. He couldn't believe someone f**ked up so royally in O2.

You can be guaranteed this will never happen again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Just discovered this thread, im 7 months in to my 18th month contract paying 45 a month on the advance 175 plan, going to ring tomorrow to try get out of it, i hope to be travelling in a few months time so would be sweet to be out of contract!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

srdb20 wrote: »

What does a silver upgrade entitle one!!!

Next to nothing, you'd probably get a phone on pay as you cheaper than a silver upgrade, it's not worth renewing a contract for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I presume the get out applies to anyone on the plans listed in o2s notification no matter what type of phone they have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

They absolutely would not allow me to go month to month on an advance plan. Nada, under no circumstances.

So I'm on sim clear.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement