Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenny sacks Bruton

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Tinker13 wrote: »
    Kenny's real test of leadership was to take power from a badly damaged FF party who probably wanted to hand over the poisoned chalice anyway. He failed and FG were too afraid to make the necessary changes then.

FF's actions over the last 2 years have made me think this was the case, however their refusal to hold by-elections has killed off that theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Always take Harris with more than a pinch of salt though!

Personally, I'd take him with a rocket launcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Listening to John Gormley on RTE News saying what is happeneing in Fine Gael at the moment is 'stupid' was sickening to hear. This is the fool that will be a big reason for the collapse of the Green party at the next general election and this is the fool that has proped up the worst Government we have had in living memory. If anyone should know a lot about political stupidity then it is John Gormley and his lapdog Greens

He was saying that from a "political tactic" point of view, it was a stupid move. Which in many ways it is - It seems like such a bad time to do this.

But isnt it refreshing that we have politicians within a party willing to make such a brave move at the moment? The Greens, And Fianna Fail are so scared to make any sort of moves at the moment for fear it will backfire on them.

Fine Gael have gone up in my estimation with what is going on.
    On another note, if Bruton was elected leader, Would be definitely the next taoiseach? I always thought he wanted to be minister for finance or could both those jobs be combined?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

He was saying that from a "political tactic" point of view, it was a stupid move. Which in many ways it is - It seems like such a bad time to do this.

But isnt it refreshing that we have politicians within a party willing to make such a brave move at the moment? The Greens, And Fianna Fail are so scared to make any sort of moves at the moment for fear it will backfire on them.

On another note, if Bruton was elected leader, Would be definitely the next taoiseach? I always thought he wanted to be minister for finance or could both those jobs be combined?

didn't bertie combine those jobs when he sent charlie mccreevey off to brussels?!!
    i'm sure lucinda creighton will be busy canvassing for richard bruton tonight, i'm sure she himmed and hawwed a bit too much when asked about enda kenny a few months ago. given her pathetic performance on the frontline in the infamous bill cullen episode she'll need to work hard on her 'whipping up the numbers' skills.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Bye Enda, it's been g...well not very good at all, actually.

Ciao!

People might actually vote for FG with some confidence now rather than doing it purely to oust FF, which I believe was the case in the last election.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

You are kidding aren't you? FG should be putting the boot into Cowen now and causing FF all sorts of problems - instead they are imploding. How many more leadership heaves can one party take? By the way I'm a disillusioned former Green voter so I couldn't care less what FG do as long as they get Biffo & Co. out of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ofjames

Kenny is a nice guy but doesn’t have the substance to be a convincing leader in such tough times.

Intellectually, Bruton is of a much higher calibre. He’s also a much better communicator.

However, i have heard from civil servants who worked under him at the Department of Industry and Commerce during the Rainbow that he was quite indecisive. That said, he would undoubtedly be an improvement on Kenny in my opinion.

It’s high stakes for him too though. A lot of the FG front benchers have come out in support of Kenny (for now). If Bruton loses he’s basically deprived himself of being finance minister in the next government. It might also damage him such that he’ll never be a viable candidate for leadership at any stage in the future.

With the mess fianna fail presided over in the last 10 years, FG should be streaking ahead in the polls. Instead all they have managed to do is confuse people. They just look for easy shots to take at the government instead of presenting a real alternative to what fianna fail are doing.

Even with Kenny they will more than likely lead the next government. Fianna fail will surely lose a lot of seats at the next election, but instead of these going to FG it looks likely that nearly all of them will be taken by Labour.

FG could even end up with less seats then they had in 2007. That scenario is a failure that ultimately falls on Kenny’s shoulders. People just don’t like him and he should go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

sdonn wrote: »
    Bye Enda, it's been g...well not very good at all, actually.

Ciao!

People might actually vote for FG with some confidence now rather than doing it purely to oust FF, which I believe was the case in the last election.

I think I hear chickens being counted too soon. Enda will be around a while yet. Bruton is all flashing teeth smiles and bluff - what you see is what you get the man has no substance IMO. He has seriously mistimed his attempted coup. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

reeling in the years showing john bruton's leadership challenge
    hahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

jmayo wrote: »
    I know it is World Cup time so I would say the FG party remind of the Ducth soccer team.
    They have had brilliant teams, but just when they look like suceeding they start infighting and blow it all like 1990.

You are joking arent you? FGs brilliant total politics got them passed out by Labour against the most unpopular government ever in the Dail!!!!

FG remind me of the Mayo football team:

A team of gormless twits.
    Couldnt hit a donkeys ass with a banjoo.
    Think tactics are sweets.
    If they ever hit the target its by total fluke.

Dutch soccer team!!!! Hillllllarious!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I don't know what's going to happen but it's the worst possible timing. No, the vote in Cowan didn't stand a chance of ousting him. The rats on the Govt benches are clinging onto power and they're afraid in case any change will sink the ship. But the pressure should have been firmly on the Govt. and not the main opposition party.

The next few days will be interesting to see if Bruton will challenge Kenny. I don't think he has any option but to do so.

The only upside is hopefully George Lee will be crying himself to sleep tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

heard Mary O'Rourke on Newstalk giving Enda her full backing of course she would as it's damage limitation for her leader while Enda is still the main man in FG, don't know about the timing but if Bruton does talk the helm I see FG doing well in future polls. Any other potential challengers for the leadership if Enda steps down Leo Varadkar maybe although I think he upset a lot of FG party members when he slagged of Garret couple of months back. Anyway if Kenny stays as leader I won't be voting for them, and as many have said Labour & Gilmore sit on the fence and refuse to show detail plans on how they would get the country back on it's feet, I would suggest by taxing the hell out of us!
    Interesting few days coming up which will make or break FG

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭deanh

have to agree that Bruton has shown incredible political naivity in all of this. He allowed himself to be bounced into this position by certain 'columnists' all with their own agenda. The numbers don't stack up for his challenge or he would have launched his bid at the weekend. Now he is facing into a career on the back benches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Its totally crazy. The spotlight should be in Fianna Fail this week and yet we have Fine Gael completly devided. Simon Coveney and Olivia Mitchell are backing Bruton.. Really beggers believe to see how Kenny will end up with a divided party.

***** NEWS FLASH *****

Olwyn Enright also backing Bruton... On 98FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

deanh wrote: »
    He allowed himself to be bounced into this position by certain 'columnists' all with their own agenda.
    The paid FF cheerleaders, jesters, holelickers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

You are kidding aren't you? FG should be putting the boot into Cowen now and causing FF all sorts of problems - instead they are imploding. How many more leadership heaves can one party take? By the way I'm a disillusioned former Green voter so I couldn't care less what FG do as long as they get Biffo & Co. out of power.

But this is exactly my point. When they could just leave things as they are & 'put the boot into Cowen', some of Fine Gael's members are not looking to this. But instead are trying to improve Fine Gael for the better.

End result: if fine gael get into the next government, it will be a stronger fine gael than the current fine gael.

I just cannot see FF or the greens having politicians to take such a brave move at this point. Maybe these Fine Gael politicians are exactly what the country is looking for.

Maybe I am misuderstanding something, but to me it looks like fine gael are the party most in touch with the public view at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Any wonder why I won't Fine Gael in the next general election:(

Just as a matter of interest, were /are there any circumstances where you would actually have voted FG?

Regards Rugbyman

Leo Varadkar Confirms he is backing Bruton.. So 4 Front bench TD's are now backing Bruton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

deanh wrote: »
    have to agree that Bruton has shown incredible political naivity in all of this. He allowed himself to be bounced into this position by certain 'columnists' all with their own agenda. The numbers don't stack up for his challenge or he would have launched his bid at the weekend. Now he is facing into a career on the back benches.

He did launch his bid at the weekend . . He made a call to Enda on Saturday and I can't believe he would be doing this if the numbers didnt stack up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Makes sense. With Kenny they have a chance of getting into coalition with labour, with Bruton a FG majority is a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

The only credible opposition politician has now been sacked - A choice between Gilmore, kenny & Cowan, I think you'll forgive me for spoiling my vote in the next election :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Wide Road

Because of Enda's reason for sacking Richard Bruton, won't he have to also sack Leo and co from his front bench?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

So what happens if Kenny wins out?
    No Bruton, FGs best performer. What about Varadkar? Can Kenny keep him after him supporting Bruton? What about Enright or any of the others?

Are FG going to be left with a shell of a front bench facing into the most imortant election in their lifetime?

ragg wrote: »
    The only credible opposition politician has now been sacked - A choice between Gilmore, kenny & Cowan, I think you'll forgive me for spoiling my vote in the next election :rolleyes:

Unless you know something I don't, what choice exactly. No election has been called, and any leadership challenge in any party would be settled well ahead of that. Don't go spoiling that vote just yet.

dvpower wrote: »
    So what happens if Kenny wins out?
    No Bruton, FGs best performer. What about Varadkar? Can Kenny keep him after him supporting Bruton? What about Enright or any of the others?

Are FG going to be left with a shell of a front bench facing into the most imortant election in their lifetime?

The only option for FG at this point in time is for Bruton to challenge Kenny and for Bruton to win well.

Otherwise, as a FG voter, I simply don't know...

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

alex73 wrote: »
    Leo Varadkar Confirms he is backing Bruton.. So 4 Front bench TD's are now backing Bruton.

No suprise - anytime I see Leo on Vincent Browne he always struggles to defend Enda when Vincent goes on the attack about him not being a credible leader etc. Considering he is the publics other favourite choice to take over - and the other 3 front benchers have now backed Bruton surely it won't be long before the backbenchers finally take the logical step for the party?

Enda's days are numbered if FG have any sort of common sence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

it better pan out that way or FG are in biiiig trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

johngalway wrote: »
    Unless you know something I don't, what choice exactly. No election has been called, and any leadership challenge in any party would be settled well ahead of that. Don't go spoiling that vote just yet.

Can you see any change in the leaders at this point? Lenihan maybe would have challenged biffo if he hadn't gotten sick, Gilmore is having a purple patch.
    Now it seems that Kenny has sacked the only person worth a ****e in FG.

When the next election comes around, it'll be status quo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭SB-08

it better pan out that way or FG are in biiiig trouble.

Agreed. Enda surely has no choice now that not only has the party's most impressive member and deputy leader lost confidence in him, but also arguably it's fastest rising star Leo - as well as three other front benchers. Even if Bruton doesnt have enough support - Enda will have to resign, otherwise the whole thing will be an even bigger joke than it already is. He simply cannot continue as leader now after such high profile members expressed their lack of confidence publicly.

If onyl FF woudl do the same - according to the MOS - Lenihan will most likely take over from Cowen if he gets the all clear from the doctors on Wednesday - surely Micheal Martin would be more suitable though? Lenihan is hardly popular with the public - if anything he is the most unpopular after Cowen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement