Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenny sacks Bruton

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

People seem to like Richard Bruton. People don't like Kenny. If Kenny wins this one FG will only go down again, in my opinion.

Bruton is right to challenge. They're the lead opposition to what is probably the most unpopular government in the history of this country. Anything less that 40% is doing poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

efb wrote: »
    Joan Burton knows the finance? Has Lab worked out how we are going to pay for all their proposals yet?

Has Lenihan worked out how we are going to pay for his clandestine Sept 2008 meeting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Will the FF backbenchers jump ship in the Cowen vote, knowing that their lead contenders are in disarray? Never a better time for them to, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

Bruton on tv3 just said that he has no faith in Kenny as the leader of FG.

Along with most floating voters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    So that means what.....that they shouldn't do their duty ?

It's means they need note waste the first oppertunity they have had in along time to oust Enda

• Advertisement

Will the FF backbenchers jump ship in the Cowen vote, knowing that their lead contenders are in disarray? Never a better time for them to, I think.

We can only hope and pray that 3 or 4 of them show some ethics.

That said, it would probably be self-interest that would cause them to do so, rather than the actual interests of the country, because they'd probably be banking on being "rewarded" at the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

They should have parked their differences until next week for the sake of the country.

But instead they behaved like a couple of teenagers. Bicker behind the scenes all ye want lads, but don't let it go public, RTE and INM are so pro - FF now they'll use this as "proof" FG are not Govt material. :rolleyes: Wait til the paid Indo/Sindo hacks wade in on this, then hope your passport's in date 'cos it'll soon be time to get outta Dodge. . . .

It's means they need note waste the first oppertunity they have had in along time to oust Enda

The main opportunity was to oust Cowen for his massive part in screwing up the country......anything else should merely have been an internal FG sideshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

But instead they behaved like a couple of teenagers. Bicker behind the scenes all ye want lads, but don't let it go public, RTE and INM are so pro - FF now they'll use this as "proof" FG are not Govt material. :rolleyes: Wait til the paid Indo/Sindo hacks wade in on this, then hope your passport's in date . . . .

The Sindo have been trying to get rid of Kenny for the last 2 years, Jody Corcoran and Brendan O'Connor have been very anti-Kenny recently.

Would Turkey's vote for Christmas? Two years' less expenses and slush funds is all they'd be voting for

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Wasn't it John Bruton (Richard's brother) who somebody said of "if it were raining soup he would be out trying to catch it with a fork". What a bunch of clowns FG are, Fianna Fail on the rack and then they throw the ****ers a lifeline. Still it makes for entertainment. :D

Thats true. Worse again, there are some FGers on this site who actually think the whole thing is a FF plot!!!!! If it wasnt so serious it would be.....actually its just hilarious entertainment unfortunately.

The main opportunity was to oust Cowen for his massive part in screwing up the country......anything else should merely have been an internal FG sideshow.

How has things changed that anyone currently supporting the govt would now change? All the Tà's are clinging on for dear life!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

The Sindo have been trying to get rid of Kenny for the last 2 years, Jody Corcoran and Brendan O'Connor have been very anti-Kenny recently.
    My point exactly. I bet those two are in hog heaven right now, and Harris probably has a hard on. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

It's very poor timing, as mentioned already.

But I think it's about time that FG deal with the question of Kenny's leadership. He did great work in turning the party around, but I honestly don't think he can take them into government. They need someone much more charismatic and I think that Bruton is the man for it.

I'm very interested to see how this pans out.

How has things changed that anyone currently supporting the govt would now change? All the Tà's are clinging on for dear life!!!

We could always have prayed that a few of them would hit the "wrong" button again....I dunno.

But this is sickening on the evening before a potential ousting of the Minister for Finance who landed us in the ****.

I had been considering FG as a potential vote in the next election, based on them being the obvious best of a bad lot; even to the point where some FF supporters on here were viewing me as an FG supporter.......but after today I reckon it's a non-runner.

Labour v Independent....the viable options are narrowing by the day at this stage!

Enda the Lion? Or is that End of the line...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

and Harris probably has a hard on. :mad:

Eoghan Harris was just on Matt Coopers prog, saying Enda Kenny was basicly hounded out by the media, that they had decided he was to be their next victim. Talked about how if the Dub media don't like you, you're toast. He noted how Gilmore is liked by the Dublin media and gets an easy ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

The country is crying out for a new political party to get the country back on track and on the eve of a vote of no confidence in Cowen FG manage to make a complete show of themselves again!! Why oh why now did FG decide to have a leadership war!! Bruton should have challenged Kenny 12 months ago,FG are a complete laughing stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Kenny Hands in motion of confidence in himself to the whip. Will be debated Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sacking Bruton, makes Kenny look weak tbh.

I actually feel sorry for him, he looked fairly shaken at the press conference. At the end of the day every election since he took over as leader he has I
    proved their showing. Not the worst blue shirt I've ever met.

He had no other option Bruton publically said he no longer supported him as leader

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

mike65 wrote: »
    Eoghan Harris was just on Matt Coopers prog, saying Enda Kenny was basicly hounded out by the media, that they had decided he was to be their next victim. Talked about how if the Dub media don't like you, you're toast. He noted how Gilmore is liked by the Dublin media and gets an easy ride.

Always take Harris with more than a pinch of salt though!

I find Gilmore quite siimilar to Bertie, media darling, pedals easy answers like there's no tomorrow and tells the public exactly what they want to hear, without ever explaining how it would be paid for...

nesf wrote: »

How so? As a ff supporter I actually feel that this is the most backbone I've ever seen from him. No other leader of the opposition Anywhere in the world would have a number two who doesn't back him to the hilt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

I'm amazed at how many people think this motion of no confidence in Cowen was going to go through, I will be amazed if FF lose it, astonished in fact. And the FG leadership issue isn;t going to change the outcome 1 iota in my opinion

from Bruton's point of view I think this is probably a good time to challenge, a disastorous poll and a general public opinion of not much confidence in Enda for taoiseach will mean that he could drum up a lot of internal support

It also allows him time to get to grips with the leadership before an election which i would imagine will be end of this year or early next year

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

dartbhoy wrote: »
    The country is crying out for a new political party to get the country back on track and on the eve of a vote of no confidence in Cowen FG manage to make a complete show of themselves again!! Why oh why now did FG decide to have a leadership war!! Bruton should have challenged Kenny 12 months ago,FG are a complete laughing stock!

Exactly. Then FG could have had Bruton as party leader, and George Lee as finance spokesman. They would have looked a lot more attractive to voters who are worried about the economy. Whereas now floating voters will turn back to FF and Labour

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

nesf wrote: »

Kenny should have done the decent thing and resigned ages ago, the general public just don 't think he's up to the job. If FG had a decent leader they would be way way ahead in the polls.

Sacking Bruton has just freed Bruton up so that he can have a heave against Kenny, I wouldn't say Kenny will last the month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

This is a massive mistake on Kenny's part. He had to face down Bruton yes, but this could have been done tomorrow and if Kenny won he would have shown to the country, and his party, that he is the man to lead Fine Gael. If he had lost then we would have been left with a good leader in the shape of Bruton and the whole thing would have been finished up by the weekend.

Instead what Kenny has done is portray himself to the country as being completely ruthless. While it can be argued that he had to do this, surely what I mentioned in the above paragraph would have been better. If he had lost the confidence motion he would have come out of it in an honourable position and even more so if he had won. What we are going to be left with now is an opposition party that will be fighting among themselves for weeks or even months to come. Labour will be left as the main challengers to Fianna Fail and that is a battle they won't win.

Kenny has just ruined his own party and the public's already tenuous perception of him.

I agree here. Labour dont have to beat Fianna Fail just stay close to them though. A coalition with FG with Gilmore as Taoseach would result. Not good for FG though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement