Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kenny sacks Bruton

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Yeah, fair play to FF - the party that wrecked the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Sorry if you misunderstood my meaning, I have no truck with FF since I've been out of work for over a year due to their "economic strategy" along with all the other people in my ex-company.
    What I meant was that their main opposition was busy shooting themselves in the head, foot, body and anywhere else they can think of at a time when any sensible opposition would be consolidating their position.
    Hence, if I was a FF'er I would be in a position of not believing my luck, and fair play to them for that. They'd be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

At least they can do it in an unified manner. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Well I would have thought that his views on emigration/repatriation would qualify him.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7599298.stm

Foreign jobless 'paid to go' call

Fine Gael's Leo Varadkar raised the possibility of paid repatriation
    A Fine Gael TD has been criticised for raising the possibility of funding the repatriation of unemployed foreign nationals.
    Leo Varadkar, spokesman on Enterprise, Trade and Employment, made the call at a sitting of the Oireachtas enterprise committee in Dublin on Thursday.
    On Wednesday unemployment figures for the Republic reached a 10-year high.
    Mr Varadkar suggested it might make sense to pay unemployed migrants to leave the country.
    "Would there be a case at this stage for giving an offer to foreign nationals the opportunity to receive say three or four or six months of benefits, if they then agreed to repatriate to their country of origin and then forego benefits beyond that?" he said.
    While Mr Varadkar stressed that such a move would be voluntary and was not a proposal, the idea was described as "a new low" by Fianna Fail TD Thomas Byrne.
    "Politics in this country has reached a new low when Fine Gael are suggesting a voluntary repatriation scheme," said Mr Byrne.
    "I think Deputy Varadkar should withdraw his proposal because it is in the dishonourable tradition of the British National Party."
    It was also criticised by training agency FAS.
    Its Director General Rody Molloy said that the system would be difficult to police and that EU nationals should enjoy the same rights Irish people elsewhere in Europe.
    Similar moves are already being introduced this month by the Spanish government, which is planning to offer unemployed immigrants lump-sum benefit payments - typically worth around 18,000 euros (£14,200) - if they volunteer to go back to their home countries and not return to Spain for three years.

Incidentally, I would be to the right of Genghis Khan myself - on some issues - but I am not looking to be leader of FG so won't be alienating people which was the point I was making about the bold Leo. :D

Reading your footnote,i inhabit those same parts as yourself! i find it hard to think anyone would disagre wiyh Mr.Varadkar on this. Giving anyone who is a drain on our resources a chance to leave with a pay off is a good idea, and cheaper in the long run. oh ,as i am writing ,I had to re read yours, to see if you were simply against immigrants leaving with money rather than just leaving.
    Leo had that right and would not lose a vote on that issue.

On another note, any TD saying he would not accept a front position because he did not have confidence in the giver out of the positions, and before his party deciced ,democratically,on the collective confidence of said leader, would not impress rational voters at all.

regards,rugbyman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

I quote from Sesna in an excellent post

"Bruton has also damaged himself further by stating he will not serve under Kenny, regardless of the outcome of todays result. For throwing his toys out of the pram in this manner, we can add impetulence and disloyalty to his list of great leadership qualities."

this just about sums up the badly organised coup, and to steal a phrase from another poster today,"an inability to count".
    you know i dont know what truths will emerge from the last few weeks, but I suspect that Richard Bruton was well down in the list of chief plotters.

regards,Rugbyman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Try this one - at this point there's little need for multiple threads as you're all discussing he same thing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement