Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

galtee boy wrote: »
    All we need to complete the job, is a Saorview PVR with series link to add to the Freesat PVR, or Utopia - a combined Saorview/Freeview HD/Freesat HD PVR in one box !

PC with Pinnacle 7010i X running mediaportal and you have it! The latest version of mediaportal even pulls the full sky epg so on the one list you have saorview and freeview all together with over a weeks EPG...... oh and it also uses Sky's series link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

BuzzFish wrote: »
    PC with Pinnacle 7010i X running mediaportal and you have it! The latest version of mediaportal even pulls the full sky epg so on the one list you have saorview and freeview all together with over a weeks EPG...... oh and it also uses Sky's series link

Indeed...a cheap pc with a dvb-t or t2 (for uk and irish dtt HD) tuner with another dvb-s2 for satillite HD is a good alternative for recording and watching tv

Dvb-t is saorview compatible
    Dvb-t2 will also recieve freeview hd if you are in an overspill area
    Dvb-s2 will give you freesat and freesat HD all in one

Mpeg codecs are easy to get for a pc
    Mheg5 is usually available on most tuners and windows media centre seems to be mheg5 compatible altho i noticed that my dvb-s2 tuner doesnt give me red button services for some reason (can someone advise me on this please?)

Here is my setup - 4 year old pc so ye could build it cheap these days

Windows 732bit

Core2duo 2.00 ghz
    2gb ram
    Nvidia 8800gts 614mb gddr3
    Tbs 8920 dvb-s2 sat card (note that it doesnt work with 64bit OS from my experience)
    Nova-t 500 dvb-t dtt tuner

Can play most games on this and it is a quality media centre...mediw centre has series recording and manual recording as well as an asteticially pleasing interface which can be modded with pograms like channel logos tunerfreeMCE and MCStudioLaucnher.application if ye use windows windows media centre and you have problems you can download a program called guide tool to add any missing epg data...only problem is for some reason ive no red button on my bbc sat channels while ive full mheg5 aertel services via the dtt tuner...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭galtee boy

:eek: You've lost me ! I use my laptop for the internet, excel, word, email etc, so I presume even if I did understand what you're talking about, this doesn't sound like a user friendly one box, plug into the back of the tv job, that I could use, never mind my good wife and child ! Does this system mean that you're watching tv via a laptop/PC rather than a conventional tv ?

:eek: You've lost me ! I use my laptop for the internet, excel, word, email etc, so I presume even if I did understand what you're talking about, this doesn't sound like a user friendly one box, plug into the back of the tv job, that I could use, never mind my good wife and child ! Does this system mean that you're watching tv via a laptop/PC rather than a conventional tv ?

It does take a "little" setup but once up and running the interface is great and very easy to use. Basically just another remote!

The way I am set up is that the PC is connected to the TV using hdmi so you are watching on the TV as normal. When the PC boots up it logs in automatically and launches the application "Media Portal" so you have an interface like here:

http://www.google.ie/search?q=mediaportal&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1144&bih=963

It does take a "little" setup but once up and running the interface is great and very easy to use. Basically just another remote!

The way I am set up is that the PC is connected to the TV using hdmi so you are watching on the TV as normal. When the PC boots up it logs in automatically and launches the application "Media Portal" so you have an interface like here:

http://www.google.ie/search?q=mediaportal&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1144&bih=963

Looks very impressive. Am I right in thinking so, that the PC/Laptop becomes the "box/pvr" connected to the tv ? and if so, what is the picture quality like on your tv, after being fed the signal from the PC ? eg, do you lose any quality on say BBC1 HD fed to the tv from the PC as against the same channel being fed from say a Freesat box ?

• Advertisement

Looks very impressive. Am I right in thinking so, that the PC/Laptop becomes the "box/pvr" connected to the tv ? and if so, what is the picture quality like on your tv, after being fed the signal from the PC ? eg, do you lose any quality on say BBC1 HD fed to the tv from the PC as against the same channel being fed from say a Freesat box ?

BBC and ITV HD look sharp and crisp for me on my setup but ive no freesat hd box to compare it to

The quality is absolutely perfect. Been watching the F1 on BBC1HD this season and it's amazing! You are correct in saying the PC acts as a PVR... maybe an expensive one but the great thing is it can be upgraded and changed over time to cope with new technology (for example DVB-S2). With Mediaportal I get all the features of a sky box in terms of rewind, record, pause, series link etc.. but on one screen I have Terrestrial and Sat... and no bills!

The quality is absolutely perfect. Been watching the F1 on BBC1HD this season and it's amazing! You are correct in saying the PC acts as a PVR... maybe an expensive one but the great thing is it can be upgraded and changed over time to cope with new technology (for example DVB-S2). With Mediaportal I get all the features of a sky box in terms of rewind, record, pause, series link etc.. but on one screen I have Terrestrial and Sat... and no bills!

Yep indeed....you can use windows media centre as well and do recording and pause as well as rewinding as far back as the buffer allows. You can also increwse the buffer size to extend the rewind range. Also media centre has sky player so if ye have good internet ye can have skyplayer, saorview and freesat all in one. Also a media pc gives you the option of internet tv and with expat shield you can use bbc iplayer and itv player on a browser or with the right mods to media centre yee can also access bbc iplayer and other uk internet tv services all in media centre....see my pc setup post for detais on that above

So....plenty of options. Also mediportal can share your tv with other pcs if you install the server option

Yep indeed....you can use windows media centre as well and do recording and pause as well as rewinding as far back as the buffer allows. You can also increwse the buffer size to extend the rewind range. Also media centre has sky player so if ye have good internet ye can have skyplayer, saorview and freesat all in one. Also a media pc gives you the option of internet tv and with expat shield you can use bbc iplayer and itv player on a browser or with the right mods to media centre yee can also access bbc iplayer and other uk internet tv services all in media centre....see my pc setup post for detais on that above

So....plenty of options. Also mediportal can share your tv with other pcs if you install the server option

Thanks for all the info guys. One last question, I don't suppose it's possible to buy a HTPC with capabilities for connecting the aerial and dish to it and it having the Saorview and Freesat epg's etc preloaded on it ? ( Not asking much am I ? !!!! )

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

This thread seems to have gone of topic a while back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Elmo wrote: »
    This thread seems to have gone of topic a while back.
    Too much technical stuff for me. Please stick to the topic guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

The Thread subject - Saorview Content Speculation is pretty much known at this stage.

I vote this thread be locked and un-stickied.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,188 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was just able to tune in Saorview in the last couple of weeks, but was disappointed not to see Network2 in HD as I had heard it was.

Is it coming back?

NIMAN wrote: »
    I was just able to tune in Saorview in the last couple of weeks, but was disappointed not to see Network2 in HD as I had heard it was.

Is it coming back?

It is in HD at the moment, what box or TV are you using?

Karsini wrote: »
    It is in HD at the moment, what box or TV are you using?
    I don't think it's full HD just upscaled stuff at the moment. RTE TWO will be broadcasting in HD from September 2011. RTE TWO upscaled looks really good.:)

I don't think it's full HD just upscaled stuff at the moment. RTE TWO will be broadcasting in HD from September 2011. RTE TWO upscaled looks really good.:)

It's not full HD but is being broadcast in upscaled 1080i.

I am going to give a guess that RTÉjr will lauch on the 3rd of May.

I say this because of this news story on RTÉ.ie

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2011/0428/punky.html

and to me it would make sense to launch both on the same day. But then that just me. I suppose this spring weather we are having will have to guide those in RTÉ as to when. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I am going to give a guess that RTÉjr will lauch on the 3rd of May.

Maybe, but
    The first ever animated TV series in the world in which the lead character has Down syndrome, the 20 x 7 minute series will be broadcast twice a day on the RTÉjr programming block of RTÉ Two, before a move to the RTÉjr channel on Saorview which will be launched as part of the analogue switchover.

http://www.iftn.ie/broadcast/BroadcastNews/?act1=record&only=1&aid=73&rid=4283842&tpl=archnews&force=1
    After several phases of development, it was decided that Punky would be aimed at the discerning preschool audience. The 20 episodes, each seven minutes long, will be broadcast twice a day on the RTÉjr programming block of RTÉ 2, before finding another home later in the summer on the dedicated RTÉjr channel on Saorview, RTÉ’s free-to-air digital terrestrial television (DTT) service.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/theindex/2011/04/13/punky-a-cartoon-heroine-for-the-saorview-age/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Would've thought the summer holidays would be the next logical time to launch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Indeed...a cheap pc with a dvb-t or t2 (for uk and irish dtt HD) tuner with another dvb-s2 for satillite HD is a good alternative for recording and watching tv

Dvb-t is saorview compatible
    Dvb-t2 will also recieve freeview hd if you are in an overspill area
    Dvb-s2 will give you freesat and freesat HD all in one

Mpeg codecs are easy to get for a pc
    Mheg5 is usually available on most tuners and windows media centre seems to be mheg5 compatible altho i noticed that my dvb-s2 tuner doesnt give me red button services for some reason (can someone advise me on this please?)

Here is my setup - 4 year old pc so ye could build it cheap these days

Windows 732bit

Core2duo 2.00 ghz
    2gb ram
    Nvidia 8800gts 614mb gddr3
    Tbs 8920 dvb-s2 sat card (note that it doesnt work with 64bit OS from my experience)
    Nova-t 500 dvb-t dtt tuner

Can play most games on this and it is a quality media centre...mediw centre has series recording and manual recording as well as an asteticially pleasing interface which can be modded with pograms like channel logos tunerfreeMCE and MCStudioLaucnher.application if ye use windows windows media centre and you have problems you can download a program called guide tool to add any missing epg data...only problem is for some reason ive no red button on my bbc sat channels while ive full mheg5 aertel services via the dtt tuner...

Maybe you could start a new thread about this as its well off topic on this thread
    Would be interesting to see set-ups

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Would've thought the summer holidays would be the next logical time to launch it.

Yeah, but when you say Spring surely spring would be the logical time to launch the channels. Especially as the Easter Holidays happen towards the end of Spring. IMHO we're currently in the middle of Summer, rain on the way for June/July, Autumn there after.

Not surprising that no journalist asked when will RTÉjr begin broadcast?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

another test channel available on my humax freeview hd+ box

8 tv channels now on saorview

ftakeith wrote: »
    another test channel available on my humax freeview hd+ box

8 tv channels now on saorview

Appeared on April 19th - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71815020

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Originally Posted by warlikedave

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Maybe you could start a new thread about this as its well off topic on this thread
    Would be interesting to see set-ups

Yes please do start another thread.

Nothing much happening with Saorview at the moment. I thought maybe the two new channels might have made an appearance by now. Is the official launch still this month or has this changed?

Nothing much happening with Saorview at the moment. I thought maybe the two new channels might have made an appearance by now. Is the official launch still this month or has this changed?

Haven't heard anything to the contrary. This day next week if what Black Briar posted following an RTÉ Saorview trade event, is correct
    The service goes official from may 11th.

I don't think the new channels are a prerequisite for the official launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

Yes please do start another thread.
    I would also be interest in this so paste the link to that thread for me to join up

The Cush wrote: »
    Haven't heard anything to the contrary. This day next week if what Black Briar posted following an RTÉ Saorview trade event, is correct

I don't think the new channels are a prerequisite for the official launch.

I wasn't at the Saorview trade event however I think a few people got it wrong.

I believe that the channels will launch May 11 i.e. May 2011 i.e. 31st May 2011.

At least RTÉjr will be spun off into its own channel at the end of May.

Do a google search for RTÉ Jr and under news you will find.
    The Irish question‎
    C21Media - 19 Apr 2011
    RTÉ's children's strand RTÉ Jr is to be spun off into its own channel at the end of May, via the digital terrestrial television (DTT) platform Saorview.

http://www.c21media.net/features/alt_index.asp?article=17034&area=28
    :rolleyes:

Irony RTÉjr believes that Summer has begun.

I wasn't at the Saorview trade event however I think a few people got it wrong.

I believe that the channels will launch May 11 i.e. May 2011 i.e. 31st May 2011.

Black Briar was referring to the official launch of Saorview on May eleventh. They may not announce anything until launch day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

EPG on Test channels now have "Programmes start at 07.00" on one "Programmes start at 19.00" the other. So the time share theory is playing out.

Advertisement