Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Content Speculation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Article in yesterday's Sunday Business Post "TV3 sees revenue growth of 6 per cent"

From the article
    Revenues at commercial television station TV3 grew 6 per cent last year, to €57.4 million, according to an annual review by its private equity owner Doughty Hanson.

It is understood that the company’s profits have grown significantly and its operating profits were around €4 million for 2010, despite the difficulties facing the advertising market.

In spite of this difficult backdrop, TV3 has remained profitable and cash-generative, delivering 6 per cent revenue growth in 2010," said the private equity company.

Doughty said the channel reached 98 per cent of the television owning population and commanded an adult audience share of 12.8 per cent in 2010, up 5 per cent on 2009 ‘‘due to an increase in high-quality own-produced content’’.

TV3 chief executive David McRedmond told The Sunday Business Post that the company was on track to continue to deliver revenue growth this year.

Lodza money in TV3/3e for DTT carriage and transmission ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

The Cush wrote: »
    Article in yesterday's Sunday Business Post "TV3 sees revenue growth of 6 per cent"

From the article

Lodza money in TV3/3e for DTT carriage and transmission ;)

But sure don't tell anyone that they had revenue of 62m in 2008 shhh that's a drop of 8%!

The RTÉ Two HD channel is currently showing the HD test videos that were used on the test channel. The Temporary channel is showing the PM5644 test card.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

Just switched it on here (Woodcock Hill @ 2.10pm) and it's the normal RTE 2 output. RTENL must be doing some last minute tweaks before the "Official" launch :-)

Just switched it on here (Woodcock Hill @ 2.10pm) and it's the normal RTE 2 output. RTENL must be doing some last minute tweaks before the "Official" launch :-)

When is this official launch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Elmo wrote: »
    I think May 11 and HD content will be shown on RTE2 HD from September.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Karsini wrote: »
    The RTÉ Two HD channel is currently showing the HD test videos that were used on the test channel. The Temporary channel is showing the PM5644 test card.

They wouldn't be testing the HD play through gear would they?

May any date suggested and a date for RTÉ 2 HD at all, Autumn perhaps! :rolleyes:

Why advertise a service that hasn't launched, its just stupid and slow.

I'd say all the testing is done at this stage and i'd say the techy guys were most likely trying to keep themselves busy as there won't be much happening until Mux 2 is fired up.

I'd say all the testing is done at this stage and i'd say the techy guys were most likely trying to keep themselves busy as there won't be much happening until Mux 2 is fired up.

Not sure really. Just caught the end of the TG4 clip complete with RTÉNL DOG (Galway wasn't it?) and the RTÉNL HD test card after it. Had to head back to work so didn't see it come back on but seems it wasn't on for much longer.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    Not sure really. Just caught the end of the TG4 clip complete with RTÉNL DOG (Galway wasn't it?) and the RTÉNL HD test card after it. Had to head back to work so didn't see it come back on but seems it wasn't on for much longer.
    I hope they make a few improvements to the RTE News Now channel before official launch like remove that horrible blue border and make it full screen and also make the ticker at the bottom of the screen smaller.I'm sure the HD test loop and card will reappear a few more times before September.

I hope they make a few improvements to the RTE News Now channel before official launch like remove that horrible blue border and make it full screen and also make the ticker at the bottom of the screen smaller.I'm sure the HD test loop and card will reappear a few more times before September.

They should really get rid of the ticker at this stage it is unnecessary and filled with mistakes.

RTÉ TEN News might go out for a full hour, can't wait!

http://www.rte.ie/ten/video.html#2937880,2937880,flash,255

Yes, May 11th according to the lads who attended the Saorview trade event last week.
    The service goes official from may 11th.
    Lucy Campbell was the other lady there and very articulate on their marketing strategy.
    They will be getting round to as many regional events as possible,like the ploughing,tall ships etc.

There's another trade event tomorrow in Athlone perhaps someone attending can post any updates
    Tuesday 12th April 2011 – The Hodson Bay Hotel, Athlone
    Presentation: 1.45pm – 4.30pm

For directions please click on the link below;
    http://www.hodsonbayhotel.com/location.html

The Presentation Format is as follows;

Saorview Transmission
    Approved equipment
    Guidelines for installations
    Saorview Consumer communications Plan
    Information on SAORVIEW marketing support through POS and information packs, including FAQs to assist with customer queries to support the sales process.

Yes, May 11th according to the lads who attended the Saorview trade event last week.

Sure thats not May '11 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Second test channel now broadcasting, programme no.8 in mux channel 48 from Maghera , showing test card. Test on channel no. 7 now has 3 audio sub channels ~ #1 Radio na Gaeltachta, #2 beep sound, #3 Lyric FM.

Second test channel now broadcasting, programme no.8 in mux channel 48 from Maghera , showing test card. Test on channel no. 7 now has 3 audio sub channels ~ #1 Radio na Gaeltachta, #2 beep sound, #3 Lyric FM.

Ditto Mullaghanish & Woodcock Hill. RTÉjr/RTÉ1+1 on the way?

The mysterious stream which appeared in mid March and could only be seen by some receivers - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056212459

This from the Irish Times Blog last week
    Punky, a cartoon heroine for the Saorview age
    Laura Slattery

After several phases of development, it was decided that Punky would be aimed at the discerning preschool audience. The 20 episodes, each seven minutes long, will be broadcast twice a day on the RTÉjr programming block of RTÉ 2, before finding another home later in the summer on the dedicated RTÉjr channel on Saorview, RTÉ’s free-to-air digital terrestrial television (DTT) service.

“To have a dedicated children’s channel is an amazing thing,” says O’Rourke, as RTÉ 2 pushes RTÉjr off the air whenever the Olympics or the European Championships or the World Cup is on – “anything that is more important than children’s programmes basically and the children’s programmes get bumped.”

RTÉ 2 also attempts the tricky task of catering for kids ranging in age from two to 15, which means that during school holidays, the preschool programmes often give way. The RTÉjr Saorview channel will mean there is a home purely for younger kids’ programming, while the older kids’ shows (styled TRTÉ) remain on RTÉ 2.

“By having these long schedules, RTÉ is obviously going to need more content. They can acquire programming, but the onus will be on them to support more home-produced content,” says O’Rourke. “So [DTT] is for us very much something that will drive our business over the next few years.”

Much of this optimism depends, however, on the frequency with which RTÉjr chooses to repeat programming blocks. Early reports about the channel suggested it would run the kids’ shows on a tight loop rather than making a major extension to its schedule of new programming. But if the broadcaster does find the resources to avoid a parent-torturing level of repeats, it will find a home animation industry with the talent to produce low-cost original content – content that can become cultural exports via industry sales events like Mipcom Junior at Cannes and New York’s Kidscreen Summit.

irishtimes.com - Posted: April 13, 2011 @ 12:58 pm
    http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/theindex/2011/04/13/punky-a-cartoon-heroine-for-the-saorview-age/

I thought mux 1 was all full and that we would have to wait until mux two was fired up to see more tests. Any idea what might be on the second test channel?

Ditto Mullaghanish & Woodcock Hill. RTÉjr/RTÉ1+1 on the way?

What's the story now with 8 TV channels incl. one of which is HD + the radio services & MHEG5, are things not a bit crowded on that one mux & does that mean that overall quality is going to suffer somewhere or does that mean that the 2nd muxes might now be fired up & RTÉ 2HD might now be moved across?

I thought mux 1 was all full and that we would have to wait until mux two was fired up to see more tests. Any idea what might be on the second test channel?
    What's the story now with 8 TV channels incl. one of which is HD + the radio services & MHEG5, are things not a bit crowded on that one mux & does that mean that overall quality is going to suffer somewhere or does that mean that the 2nd muxes might now be fired up & RTÉ 2HD might now be moved across?

With the "RTÉ 2 Temporary" channel gone there should be approx 2-2.5 Mbps available.

Someone speculated previously that the 2 test channels could be the 1 timeshared video stream similar to BBC3/4 and the BBC childrens channels with each channel having its own ID and epg position and using the available capacity when the other is off-air.

• Advertisement

With the "RTÉ 2 Temporary" channel gone there should be approx 2-2.5 Mbps available.

Someone speculated previously that the 2 test channels could be the 1 timeshared video stream similar to BBC3/4 and the BBC childrens channels with each channel having its own ID and epg position and using the available capacity when the other is off-air.
    I would like to see RTE+1 hours extended after launch. So if it's going to have it's own channel it would have enough space to extend it's hours further down the line. Maybe something new will turn up and surprise us all. :)

I would like to see RTE+1 hours extended after launch. So if it's going to have it's own channel it would have enough space to extend it's hours further down the line. Maybe something new will turn up and surprise us all. :)

Forget RTÉ1 +1 lets advocate RTÉ Plus a channel with a chance for late night TV to air during prime time hours time sharing with RTÉjr.

It will have its own channel (epg position) but if it's sharing the same video stream as RTÉjr it won't be possible to extend it. Just like BBC3 shares with CBBC and BBC4 shares with CBeebies, both childrens' channels finish at 7pm and the other two take over.
    Forget RTÉ1 +1 lets advocate RTÉ Plus a channel with a chance for late night TV to air during prime time hours time sharing with RTÉjr.

I agree an RTÉ Plus would have been a better idea but that was kicked to touch by the BAI and the Dept of Communications in the Nov consultation. The next review of these channels is 3 years away in early 2014.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I agree an RTÉ Plus would have been a better idea but that was kicked to touch by the BAI and the Dept of Communications in the Nov consultation. The next review of these channels is 3 years away in early 2014.

Obviously the ghost of Ray Burke still haunts the corridors of the BAI.

Obviously the ghost of Ray Burke still haunts the corridors of the BAI.

Is he dead! <<<< Joke I shouldn't speak ill of the dead, oh wait I haven't :D

How much do you bet that the lobby groups haven't lobbied the new minister to make sure that none of the new RTÉ services appear on Saorview or any other platform. I know TV3 have, I assume that the NNI and IBI also have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I was just thinking how good things have become on the free tv front. A short few years ago, who would have believed that we would have FREE digital Irish terrestrial tv plus the addition of some new Irish channels ( 3e, RTE News, RTE JNR etc ) and RTE2 HD by September plus FREE access to digital British terrestrials, which now includes HD versions of BBC1HD,BBC2HD ( BBC HD is effectively BBC2 now ), ITV1 HD and CH4 HD and much more via Freesat, all for a once off payment of a few hundred euro !
    All we need to complete the job, is a Saorview PVR with series link to add to the Freesat PVR, or Utopia - a combined Saorview/Freeview HD/Freesat HD PVR in one box !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'll be delighted to see RTEjr live anyway - the kids are sick at the moment, so pretty much laid up in front of the tele, and we've really started to use it RTE2 as is, up until it switches over to tRTE.

To back up galtee boys point, just in reference to childrens TV, between Five (early morning), cbeebies and RTEjr there's a line up that'd rival the pay options imo. And only five with ads too.

Anyone know what is going to happen with the daytime schedule of RTÉ TWO now that RTEjnr & TRTÉ will have their own channel? Will they continue on RTÉ TWO or will the daytime line up go through a total revamp?

Anyone know what is going to happen with the daytime schedule of RTÉ TWO now that RTEjnr & TRTÉ will have their own channel? Will they continue on RTÉ TWO or will the daytime line up go through a total revamp?

I'd guess the RTÉ2 schedule will remain the same until ASO, not everyone will have Saorview. TRTÉ will remain on RTÉ2 even after ASO.

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I'll be delighted to see RTEjr live anyway - the kids are sick at the moment, so pretty much laid up in front of the tele, and we've really started to use it RTE2 as is, up until it switches over to tRTE.

To back up galtee boys point, just in reference to childrens TV, between Five (early morning), cbeebies and RTEjr there's a line up that'd rival the pay options imo. And only five with ads too.

You would think that they would launch the channel this week as part of the Easter Holidays! Oh and since its the end of Spring 2011!

Advertisement